Death and Funeral of Grand Duke Jean: April 23 & May 4, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Condolences to the people of Luxembourg on the passing of their former Grand Duke.

The State funeral will take place on Saturday 04. May at the Cathedral of Luxembourg.

When was the last State Funeral in Luxembourg?

Have any online obituaries been published? I hope to read more about his life and reign; he seems to have lived through tremendous transitions in Luxembourg.

When was the last State Funeral in Luxembourg?
Don't know if the funeral of Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte was an official State Funeral. If not it would be the one of Grand Duchess Charlotte in 1985.

Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte had a State Funeral as Consort.

Grand Duke Jean was already in the Cathedral. On the first row King Albert II , Queens Paola and Queen Fabiola and on the second row her Children.

Information:
The state funeral will take place on Saturday, May 4, at 11am at the Cathédral Notre-Dame.
Luxembourg will observe a national period of morning until May 4 at 6pm. All flags have been lowered to half-mast.

The government met today at 10am to observe a minute of silence and discuss the plans for the coming days.

At 12pm, Grand Duke Henri and Prime Minister Xavier Bettel met at Château de Berg.
At 12.15pm, the bells of all the Catholic churches in Luxembourg rang for 15 minutes in honour of Grand Duke Jean.

Today's parliamentary session in Luxembourg as well as several press conferences by the government and other organisations in the Grand Duchy have been postponed.

Later today (Tuesday) will see the removal of Grand Duke Jean's banner as a Knight of the Garter in St. George's Chapel, Windsor. The same will happen for the Order of the Seraphim in Stockholm after the funeral.

On Saturday, April 27, at 5pm the Archbishop of Luxembourg Jean-Claude Hollerich will celebrate a special mass in honour of Grand Duke Jean. All Catholic parishes in the Grand Duchy are asked to keep the former Grand Duke in their prayers this weekend.

Source: Luxarazzi

Did he pass away at his residence, or was he in hospital?

Sad, but not unexpected news.
He was a very remarkable man, one of my favorite royals. He is one of the reasons, why i follow Grand Ducal Family.

RIP to a great man. He served his country for decades with honor and strength. His presence will be missed by so many. Inspiration to all.

It was expected but still such sad news to wake up to before work. Glad he was surrounded by his loved ones. Sad year for the family, losing both him and Alix. One sibling left in the family. Reunited with his wife finally, and all those who have gone before him.

RIP and condolences to the Luxembourg Grand Ducal family.

I read on Twitter that as a member of the Order of The Garter, his banner will be removed from St. George's Chapel today?

I hadn't realized that was the customary thing to when a member of the Order dies.

I read on Twitter that as a member of the Order of The Garter, his banner will be removed from St. George's Chapel today?

I hadn't realized that was the customary thing to when a member of the Order dies.

It is yes, this is how I believe new Knights are allowed in. The same will happy with the Order of Seraphim.

It is yes, this is how I believe new Knights are allowed in. The same will happy with the Order of Seraphim.

When it comes to the Order of the Seraphim this transfer takes place on the day of the funeral. Then, will the coat of arms be taken in procession from the Royal Palace to the Riddarholmen Church where a short ceremony will be held and the the bells of the church will ring for one hour, a so called Seraphim ringing (Serafimerringning).

The Dutch message felt more personal to me but I assume the more personal feelings regarding the passing of their brother-in-law and uncle will have been shared in person by the Belgian royals.

Very sad, but expected news. May Grand Duke Jean rest in peace - he can be united with Josephine Charlotte once more.

The one who always wanted a unity of Europe of whose freedom from Nazism he had fought with so many who had already left us...

The one under whose rule his country was transformed into a global financial centre...

The one who was blessed with over 40 descendants...

After the festivity which symbolizes a Christian hope for eternal life went to the Eternal Father's Home:easter:where there is no pain, no suffering, no tears...

May his memory be honoured!

On April 25th, Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko visited the Luxembourg Embassy in Tokyo to offer condolences on the passing of Grand Duke Jean. Emperor Akihito first met the late Grand Duke in 1953 when they were both in London for Queen Elizabeth's coronation.

Photos: AP Images, Sankei

fnn.jp video includes footage of Their Majesties with Grand Duke Jean and Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte
I wonder who Japan is sending to the funeral... The new emperor and Imperial family are scheduled to greet the public on May 4. Grand Duke Jean is a former head of state so it should be Prince Akishino but IHA may want him on the balcony. Perhaps Princess Hisako?

Last edited:
That was a lovely personal touch from the Emperor and Empress :previous:

Usually one would expect the head of the House Orange-Nassau (The King), Queen Máxima and Princess Beatrix at the State Funeral of Grand-Duke Jean the former head of the House Nassau.

Saturday May 4th however is also the National Remembrance in the Netherlands, where the royal couple is expected in Amsterdam, in the late afternoon/early evening.

I think they can make it with a State Funeral in Luxembourg around Noon and with the plane back to Amsterdam. But it is very well possible that only Princess Beatrix will attend. Then there is no hurry and the Princess then has plenty of time to stay for lunch and interact with the other royal and noble guests.

Usually one would expect the head of the House Orange-Nassau (The King), Queen Máxima and Princess Beatrix at the State Funeral of Grand-Duke Jean the former head of the House Nassau.

Saturday May 4th however is also the National Remembrance in the Netherlands, where the royal couple is expected in Amsterdam, in the late afternoon/early evening.

I think they can make it with a State Funeral in Luxembourg around Noon and with the plane back to Amsterdam. But it is very well possible that only Princess Beatrix will attend. Then there is no hurry and the Princess then has plenty of time to stay for lunch and interact with the other royal and noble guests.
That seems the most likely solution. Princess Beatrix doesn't NEED to be in Amsterdam during the remembrance, the King and Queen do.

I think it's possible that Thailand and Japan will be represented by their ambassadors at the state funeral. The then ongoing Coronation in Thailand and Enthronement in Japan undoubtly prevents almost every member of the Royal/Imperial Family to go to Europe on that day.

I hope they will send their representatives to the funeral.

I think it's possible that Thailand and Japan will be represented by their ambassadors at the state funeral. The then ongoing Coronation in Thailand and Enthronement in Japan undoubtly prevents almost every member of the Royal/Imperial Family to go to Europe on that day.

For Thailand i agree but in Japan there the cermonies are over and only a Balcony appearance takes place that day. Perhaps someone like Princess Takamado could miss that one and go instead to Luxembourg.

Who represented the Netherlands at the funeral of Grand Duchess Charlotte in 1985? Did Queen Beatrix go herself?

Last edited by a moderator:
Who represented the Netherlands at the funeral of Grand Duchess Charlotte in 1985? Did Queen Beatrix go herself?

HRH Princess Juliana of the Netherlands, the former Queen

HRH Prince Claus of the Netherlands, the Prince-Consort

Last edited:
HRH Princess Juliana of the Netherlands, the former Queen

HRH Prince Claus of the Netherlands, the Prince-Consort
Interesting that Juliana went with her son-in-law and not with Prince Bernhard.
But then sending Princess Beatrix this year would be the same as 34 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom