The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-25-2019, 02:49 PM
Majesty

King Philippe, Queen Mathilde, King Albert and Queen Paola go to Luxembourg on 4 May for the funeral of Grand Duke Jean, who died on Tuesday at the age of 98.
https://twitter.com/WDehandschutter/...25004221075456

Old 04-25-2019, 03:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Interesting that Juliana went with her son-in-law and not with Prince Bernhard.
But then sending Princess Beatrix this year would be the same as 34 years ago.
Prince Bernhard once stated in an interview that he disliked funerals to the deepest. Even for funerals of good friends he tried to send a representative if possible. The Prince made clear that for no any friend this attitude would be a surprise as they knew his feelings about it.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:52 PM
Majesty

Well...I don't know any mentally balanced person who LIKES funerals. ..ones' enjoyment of the event is really not the point...

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 04-25-2019, 04:03 PM
Serene Highness

Some people simply can't handle funerals. It's just psychology, like some people can't handle stress or crowded areas. Prince Bernhard is not the first example and not the last. My grandfather's brother didn't come to my grandfathers funeral last autumn for the same reason. Ofcourse we missed him but it's really nothing we can do about it. He knows best what he can handle and not. We must respect that. Royals have no magical protection against that.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
King Philippe, Queen Mathilde, King Albert and Queen Paola go to Luxembourg on 4 May for the funeral of Grand Duke Jean, who died on Tuesday at the age of 98.
https://twitter.com/WDehandschutter/...25004221075456
I would expect other Belgian royals to also attend the funeral of their (great)uncle. Maybe only their majesties are mentioned as the principal representatives of the Belgian royal family,
Old 04-25-2019, 04:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

The condolence message from Queen Elizabeth to Grand Duke Henri

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5BbiOZXoAAQkLA.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwsLhXRFBMD/
Old 04-25-2019, 06:36 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
Some people simply can't handle funerals. It's just psychology, like some people can't handle stress or crowded areas. Prince Bernhard is not the first example and not the last. My grandfather's brother didn't come to my grandfathers funeral last autumn for the same reason. Ofcourse we missed him but it's really nothing we can do about it. He knows best what he can handle and not. We must respect that. Royals have no magical protection against that.
Exactly. Perhaps due to past traumatic experiences of a certain event or situation, or the fear of the unknown or whatever other psychological reasoning behind the individual's inability to handle a situation, a lot of people simply cannot deal with events like funerals or situations, as you have mentioned, such as crowded places (it's just like phobias of lifts and other everyday things). I have always had a severe phobia of public speaking, and have refused or been unable to speak on all occasions were I've been asked (which thankfully hasn't been many). And it was probably the same for Bernhard with funerals.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-26-2019, 04:46 AM
Majesty

My guess is that the representants from the Dutch royal family will be:

- HRH Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau (the former Queen)
- HRH Prince Carlos de Bourbon de Parme, Duke of Parma (nephew of Princess Beatrix)

With this the former head of the House Orange-Nassau and the head of the House Bourbon-Parma are attending. As known the late Grand-Duke Jean was a Prince de Nassau as well a Prince de Bourbon de Parme.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

From Norway the King and Queen and Princess Astrid are listed on the Kalendar at kongehuset.no to attend.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I wonder if we will see anyone from the UK,Spain or Monaco attending the funeral?

If Spain sends a representative my guess is king Juan Carlos and queen Sofia.

16th of November,1528 : Birth of Jeanne d'Albret,Queen of Navarre
Old 04-26-2019, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I wonder if we will see anyone from the UK,Spain or Monaco attending the funeral?

I also think King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia are likely from Spain or Queen Sofia alone. Prince Albert attended the funeral of Grand Dcuhess Josphine-Charlotte so i think it is likely that the also attend the one of Grand Duke Jean.

As for the UK you never know who they send but iw ould be very suprised if nobody shows up given Jean's connection to them and his former position in the Irisih Guards and participation in Trooping the Colour.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:

It may well be Charles and Camilla.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
The Belgian royal family has always been very close to the Grand Duke. King Philippe, Queen Mathilde, King Albert II and Princess Astrid arrived this afternoon in Luxembourg for a private visit.
https://www.rtl.be/info/video/705421.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I would expect other Belgian royals to also attend the funeral of their (great)uncle. Maybe only their majesties are mentioned as the principal representatives of the Belgian royal family,
Quote:
Both Royal Houses were the closest to the Grand Ducal Family nice to see the ties are still there.
Agreed, and it is wonderful that the closeness extends beyond the "colleague" heads of state as demonstrated by Princess Astrid's presence.

Grand Duke Jean was even a member of the Belgian Royal Family himself, as all the legitimate descendants of King Leopold III and their spouses are classified as members of the BRF, and Grand Duke Jean was a son-in-law of Leopold III. Questions fréquentes | Le 21 juillet 2013
Indeed, members of his branch of the family are regularly seen at royal family events in Belgium.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:10 AM
Serene Highness

No one's listed from Sweden and Denmark so far but i expect The King and Queen of Sweden and The Queen of Denmark to go. They attended the funeral of Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte and they have nothing else publicly scheduled on 4:th May.
Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel is traveling to Vietnam for an official visit starting on Monday 6:th May so they are unlikely to attend.

From Spain Juan Carlos and Sofia or one of them is likely. From Monaco probably Prince Albert. Maybe also Princess Caroline.

UK is impossible to predict. It has usually been The Duke of Edinburgh or The Prince of Wales who has represented The Queen at funerals but The Duke of York attended the funerals of Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte in 2005, The Prince of Monaco in 2005 and The King of Thailand in 2017.
The Duke of Gloucester attended the funeral of The King of Tonga in 2012.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Agreed, and it is wonderful that the closeness extends beyond the "colleague" heads of state as demonstrated by Princess Astrid's presence.

Grand Duke Jean was even a member of the Belgian Royal Family himself, as all the legitimate descendants of King Leopold III and their spouses are classified as members of the BRF, and Grand Duke Jean was a son-in-law of Leopold III. Questions fréquentes | Le 21 juillet 2013
I don’t know what being a member of the BRF means, but descendants in maternal line of King Léopold IIiI are not princes of Belgium and, accordingly, are not members of the Belgian Royal House.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:29 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
It may well be Charles and Camilla.
I think it may be the Duke of York; he also took part in a war (the Falklands war), like Grand Duke Jean
Old 04-26-2019, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
I think it may be the Duke of York; he also took part in a war (the Falklands war), like Grand Duke Jean
He also attended the funeral of Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte in 2005.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:07 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Indeed, members of his branch of the family are regularly seen at royal family events in Belgium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don’t know what being a member of the BRF means, but descendants in maternal line of King Léopold IIiI are not princes of Belgium and, accordingly, are not members of the Belgian Royal House.
See the linked official website for the explanation.

Q: Quelle est la différence entre Maison Royale et Famille Royale ?

R: L'expression "Maison Royale" n'est pas utilisée en Belgique. On parle de la "Maison du Roi" pour désigner la Cour.

Tous les descendants de Léopold III et leurs époux légitimes font partie de la Famille Royale. Les membres de la Famille Royale qui exercent des tâches officielles peuvent se voir attribuer une "Maison", ce qui implique qu'ils bénéficient d'un soutien administratif et en personnel séparé au sein de la Cour. Ainsi jusqu'à ce jour existaient la Maison du Roi, la Maison de la Reine Fabiola, la Maison des Ducs de Brabant et la Maison de la Princesse Astrid. Après l'abdication du Roi Albert une Maison du Roi Albert et de la Reine Paola sera créée et la Maison des Ducs de Brabant sera démantelée.

Translation:
Q: What is the difference between the Royal House and the Royal Family?

A: The expression "Royal House" is not utilized in Belgium. One speaks of the "House of the King" to refer to the Court.

All of the descendants of Léopold III and their legitimate spouses are part of the Royal Family. The members of the Royal Family who perform official tasks may be afforded a "House", which reflects that they enjoy administrative support and separate employees within the Court. Until today there existed the House of the King, the House of Queen Fabiola, the House of the Dukes of Brabant and the House of Princess Astrid. Following the abdication of King Albert, a House of King Albert and Queen Paola will be created and the House of the Dukes of Brabant will be eliminated.

ETA: Note that the Belgian Court included "Prince Louis, Prince Nikolaus and Princess Margaretha, Princess Marie-Astrid, Princess Maria-Anunciata, Prince Josef-Emmanuel, Prince Guillaume and Princess Sibilla, Prince Paul-Louis, Prince Léopold, Princess Charlotte" in the list of "Members of the Royal Family" attending the memorial mass for King Boudewijn last year.

https://www.monarchie.be/nl/agenda/e...jden-van-zijne
Old 04-26-2019, 09:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
As for the UK you never know who they send but iw ould be very suprised if nobody shows up given Jean's connection to them and his former position in the Irisih Guards and participation in Trooping the Colour.
Not only those positions but Grand Duke Jean was also a Knight of The Most Noble Order of the Garter of the UK.

Perhaps William will represent the UK. William is also a Garter Knight and is also Colonel of the Regiment for the Irish Guards. That's my guess anyways.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 04-26-2019, 09:47 AM
Serene Highness

I just read that wort.lu is reporting that Princess Anne will represent the Queen.