Death and Funeral of Grand Duke Jean: April 23 & May 4, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting that Juliana went with her son-in-law and not with Prince Bernhard.
But then sending Princess Beatrix this year would be the same as 34 years ago.

Prince Bernhard once stated in an interview that he disliked funerals to the deepest. Even for funerals of good friends he tried to send a representative if possible. The Prince made clear that for no any friend this attitude would be a surprise as they knew his feelings about it.

Last edited:
:previous: Well...I don't know any mentally balanced person who LIKES funerals. ..ones' enjoyment of the event is really not the point...:ermm:

Last edited:
Some people simply can't handle funerals. It's just psychology, like some people can't handle stress or crowded areas. Prince Bernhard is not the first example and not the last. My grandfather's brother didn't come to my grandfathers funeral last autumn for the same reason. Ofcourse we missed him but it's really nothing we can do about it. He knows best what he can handle and not. We must respect that. Royals have no magical protection against that.

King Philippe, Queen Mathilde, King Albert and Queen Paola go to Luxembourg on 4 May for the funeral of Grand Duke Jean, who died on Tuesday at the age of 98.

I would expect other Belgian royals to also attend the funeral of their (great)uncle. Maybe only their majesties are mentioned as the principal representatives of the Belgian royal family,

Some people simply can't handle funerals. It's just psychology, like some people can't handle stress or crowded areas. Prince Bernhard is not the first example and not the last. My grandfather's brother didn't come to my grandfathers funeral last autumn for the same reason. Ofcourse we missed him but it's really nothing we can do about it. He knows best what he can handle and not. We must respect that. Royals have no magical protection against that.

Exactly. Perhaps due to past traumatic experiences of a certain event or situation, or the fear of the unknown or whatever other psychological reasoning behind the individual's inability to handle a situation, a lot of people simply cannot deal with events like funerals or situations, as you have mentioned, such as crowded places (it's just like phobias of lifts and other everyday things). I have always had a severe phobia of public speaking, and have refused or been unable to speak on all occasions were I've been asked (which thankfully hasn't been many). And it was probably the same for Bernhard with funerals.

My guess is that the representants from the Dutch royal family will be:

- HRH Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau (the former Queen)
- HRH Prince Carlos de Bourbon de Parme, Duke of Parma (nephew of Princess Beatrix)

With this the former head of the House Orange-Nassau and the head of the House Bourbon-Parma are attending. As known the late Grand-Duke Jean was a Prince de Nassau as well a Prince de Bourbon de Parme.

Last edited:
From Norway the King and Queen and Princess Astrid are listed on the Kalendar at kongehuset.no to attend.

I wonder if we will see anyone from the UK,Spain or Monaco attending the funeral?

If Spain sends a representative my guess is king Juan Carlos and queen Sofia.

I wonder if we will see anyone from the UK,Spain or Monaco attending the funeral?

I also think King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia are likely from Spain or Queen Sofia alone. Prince Albert attended the funeral of Grand Dcuhess Josphine-Charlotte so i think it is likely that the also attend the one of Grand Duke Jean.

As for the UK you never know who they send but iw ould be very suprised if nobody shows up given Jean's connection to them and his former position in the Irisih Guards and participation in Trooping the Colour.

It may well be Charles and Camilla.

Last edited:
The Belgian royal family has always been very close to the Grand Duke. King Philippe, Queen Mathilde, King Albert II and Princess Astrid arrived this afternoon in Luxembourg for a private visit.
https://www.rtl.be/info/video/705421.aspx

I would expect other Belgian royals to also attend the funeral of their (great)uncle. Maybe only their majesties are mentioned as the principal representatives of the Belgian royal family,

Both Royal Houses were the closest to the Grand Ducal Family nice to see the ties are still there.

Agreed, and it is wonderful that the closeness extends beyond the "colleague" heads of state as demonstrated by Princess Astrid's presence.

Grand Duke Jean was even a member of the Belgian Royal Family himself, as all the legitimate descendants of King Leopold III and their spouses are classified as members of the BRF, and Grand Duke Jean was a son-in-law of Leopold III. Questions fréquentes | Le 21 juillet 2013
Indeed, members of his branch of the family are regularly seen at royal family events in Belgium.

No one's listed from Sweden and Denmark so far but i expect The King and Queen of Sweden and The Queen of Denmark to go. They attended the funeral of Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte and they have nothing else publicly scheduled on 4:th May.
Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel is traveling to Vietnam for an official visit starting on Monday 6:th May so they are unlikely to attend.

From Spain Juan Carlos and Sofia or one of them is likely. From Monaco probably Prince Albert. Maybe also Princess Caroline.

UK is impossible to predict. It has usually been The Duke of Edinburgh or The Prince of Wales who has represented The Queen at funerals but The Duke of York attended the funerals of Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte in 2005, The Prince of Monaco in 2005 and The King of Thailand in 2017.
The Duke of Gloucester attended the funeral of The King of Tonga in 2012.

Last edited:
Agreed, and it is wonderful that the closeness extends beyond the "colleague" heads of state as demonstrated by Princess Astrid's presence.

Grand Duke Jean was even a member of the Belgian Royal Family himself, as all the legitimate descendants of King Leopold III and their spouses are classified as members of the BRF, and Grand Duke Jean was a son-in-law of Leopold III. Questions fréquentes | Le 21 juillet 2013

I don’t know what being a member of the BRF means, but descendants in maternal line of King Léopold IIiI are not princes of Belgium and, accordingly, are not members of the Belgian Royal House.

I think it may be the Duke of York; he also took part in a war (the Falklands war), like Grand Duke Jean;)
He also attended the funeral of Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte in 2005.

Indeed, members of his branch of the family are regularly seen at royal family events in Belgium.

I don’t know what being a member of the BRF means, but descendants in maternal line of King Léopold IIiI are not princes of Belgium and, accordingly, are not members of the Belgian Royal House.

See the linked official website for the explanation.

Q: Quelle est la différence entre Maison Royale et Famille Royale ?

R: L'expression "Maison Royale" n'est pas utilisée en Belgique. On parle de la "Maison du Roi" pour désigner la Cour.

Tous les descendants de Léopold III et leurs époux légitimes font partie de la Famille Royale. Les membres de la Famille Royale qui exercent des tâches officielles peuvent se voir attribuer une "Maison", ce qui implique qu'ils bénéficient d'un soutien administratif et en personnel séparé au sein de la Cour. Ainsi jusqu'à ce jour existaient la Maison du Roi, la Maison de la Reine Fabiola, la Maison des Ducs de Brabant et la Maison de la Princesse Astrid. Après l'abdication du Roi Albert une Maison du Roi Albert et de la Reine Paola sera créée et la Maison des Ducs de Brabant sera démantelée.​

Translation:

Q: What is the difference between the Royal House and the Royal Family?

A: The expression "Royal House" is not utilized in Belgium. One speaks of the "House of the King" to refer to the Court.

All of the descendants of Léopold III and their legitimate spouses are part of the Royal Family. The members of the Royal Family who perform official tasks may be afforded a "House", which reflects that they enjoy administrative support and separate employees within the Court. Until today there existed the House of the King, the House of Queen Fabiola, the House of the Dukes of Brabant and the House of Princess Astrid. Following the abdication of King Albert, a House of King Albert and Queen Paola will be created and the House of the Dukes of Brabant will be eliminated.​

ETA: Note that the Belgian Court included "Prince Louis, Prince Nikolaus and Princess Margaretha, Princess Marie-Astrid, Princess Maria-Anunciata, Prince Josef-Emmanuel, Prince Guillaume and Princess Sibilla, Prince Paul-Louis, Prince Léopold, Princess Charlotte" in the list of "Members of the Royal Family" attending the memorial mass for King Boudewijn last year.

https://www.monarchie.be/nl/agenda/...25ste-verjaardag-van-het-overlijden-van-zijne

Last edited:
As for the UK you never know who they send but iw ould be very suprised if nobody shows up given Jean's connection to them and his former position in the Irisih Guards and participation in Trooping the Colour.

Not only those positions but Grand Duke Jean was also a Knight of The Most Noble Order of the Garter of the UK.

Perhaps William will represent the UK. William is also a Garter Knight and is also Colonel of the Regiment for the Irish Guards. That's my guess anyways. ?

Last edited:
I just read that wort.lu is reporting that Princess Anne will represent the Queen.

I just read that wort.lu is reporting that Princess Anne will represent the Queen.

Interesting. The Duke of Cambridge is the current Colonel of the Irish Guards and could have been a representant as well. But The Princess Royal is perfect too, of course. The most senior active royal after The Queen and The Prince of Wales.

Last edited:

Not sure about Spain, but Monaco will almost certainly be represented. ..probably by Prince Albert.

That would be a good choice. The Princess Royal took part in the State visit from Grand Duke Jean and Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte in 1972 and has met them many times. She is also a Regimental Colonel (for Blues & Royals).

Last edited:
Interesting that the danish royal court mentions Queen Anne-Marie (and not Queen Anne-Marie of Greece) for an occassion like this. They usually avoid that as she is not Queen of Denmark...
I agree, it is not the first time though. she vad been listed, along with one or both of her sisters, at events in the Danish calendar.

And the Prince Jean, Count of Paris confirm his presence at the funeral:

"J'ai été attristé par la mort du grand-duc Jean de Luxembourg, mon cousin. C'était un monarque courageux qui a grandement contribué à libérer son pays en septembre 1944.
Je serai présent lors de ses funérailles le 4 mai à Luxembourg. Je le confie à vos prières ainsi que sa famille, notamment le grand-duc Henri."

Interesting that the danish royal court mentions Queen Anne-Marie (and not Queen Anne-Marie of Greece) for an occassion like this. They usually avoid that as she is not Queen of Denmark...

Actually, the reigning Queen is usually referred to simply as HM The Queen whereas a Queen dowager or a foreign queen consort would be referred to as HM Queen [name]. Therefore, I think the Danish court’s press releae is formally correct .

On the other hand, calling her Queen Anne Marie “ of Greece” would be incorrect in my opinion as Greece is now a republic .

This has been confirmed, Princess Anne worked with the Duke on the IOC.

Back
Top Bottom