The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-28-2014, 05:03 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

BommeleeŽr Trial; 2014

Prince Jean and Prince Guillaume will testify in court about the BommeleeŽr case:

Luxarazzi : BommeleeŽr Case Continued

Wort.lu - Luxembourg princes to testify in “BommeleeŽr” trial

--
I have to confess that I find it somewhat difficult to understand. But basically somebody claims to have seen Prince Jean near a site that was bombed in the 80-ties.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:53 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

This might be a stupid question but what is so wrong with seeing Prince Jean near a sight that was bombed? Is someone insinuating he was the bomber?

Old 01-28-2014, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

As far as I have understood of the whole story, yes, someone insinuated that Prince Jean was the bomber or however that he was implied in the bombing.
However, it seems that Prince Jean that day was actually in France, guest of a shooting party or something similar, and Prince Guillaume was with him or however he can confirm Jean's alibi.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Why would the prince take part in any bombings? What would possibly be the motive?

I have been asking this questions on various board for months, and have been met each time with total silence.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Are Prince Jean and Prince Guillaume summoned to a court due to some legal technicality? The reason to summon seems unbelievable.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 01-29-2014, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

A summary of the whole story was posted on Luxarazzi Blog back in June 2013:
Luxarazzi : Luxarazzi 101: Bombs, Bugging Devices and a Whole Lot of Questions
Old 01-29-2014, 10:22 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
A summary of the whole story was posted on Luxarazzi Blog back in June 2013:
Luxarazzi : Luxarazzi 101: Bombs, Bugging Devices and a Whole Lot of Questions
As we've had a bunch of questions about the trial and Prince Jean's involvement over the past couple of days, we have published a new post about it.

Luxarazzi : Luxarazzi 101: Prince Jean and the Affair BommeleeŽr
Old 01-29-2014, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for additional information!
The case is quite confusing. It is quite unfortunate that Hereditary Duke Guillaume is dragged to a court.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post

Thanks for additional information!
The case is quite confusing. It is quite unfortunate that Hereditary Duke Guillaume is dragged to a court.
It is not the Hereditary Grand Duke but his uncle with the same name.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 01-29-2014, 08:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the clarification!
Well, it must be still unpleasant for the Grand Ducal family to deal with the situation.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:29 PM
Serene Highness

Read the article listed and a lot of what I read made no sense to me. What would be the purpose of motive of this, first of all.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Join the club...the entire thing is bizarre and confusing. I don't understand the motive here, except as a possible way to embarrass and discredit the Grand Ducal house.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:05 AM
Administrator

It is bizarre and confusing indeed, but I found the last article of Sydney a great help to understand it a bit.
These conspiracy theories usually seem far fetched though, and the secret service using prince Jean to plant bombs seems utterly rediculous. But still, the prince is in court and hopefully he can clear his name for good.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:58 AM
Aristocracy

There is no big motive that Prince Jean could have had but the problem is that even almost thirty years after the bombings, the police and prosecutors cannot find anyone who would have a plausible motive to plant the bombs. Those currently accused are said to have planted the bombs to achieve increased funding for law enforcement. If you follow the BommeleeŽr trial, you will notice that a lot of the things said during the court hearings are either rumours or hearsay. Prince Jean's name pops up here and there during the trials. Yesterday, there was a former policeman who told that he had been told that "one of the princes" and "the grand ducal court" were somehow involved with the bombings but he didn't know any specifics.

Imagine that there is a series of bombings in the United Kingdom now and the police cannot for the life of them can find out how has planted the bombs. Suddenly Buckingham Palace announces that Prince Harry has given up his right to the throne for military reasons. But Harry continues his military career like he has always done and nothing changes in the way it is handled. One day, a policeman says that Prince Harry might have been involved in the planting of the bombs and sometime later someone comes forward and tells that they have seen Harry at the sight of one of the bombings. Suddenly gossip on the street starts that Prince Harry has always been friends with someone else who is implicated to have played a role in the bombings and that Harry as received a very large amount of money from his family so that he would give up his rights to the throne. In addition, it is common knowledge that Harry or his brother had once written a threatening letter to their grandmother.

Nothing of this is proof that the prince (Jean in the actual case or Harry in the hypothetical one) was the bomber but all the little details seem to come together and suddenly an urban legend is born.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Wow. I am even more confused than ever. But the situation sounds nothing at all like what I read described on another Board where one particularly overwrought and perpetually dishonest poster seems to be insinuating that it's common knowledge in the streets of Luxembourg that the one of the princes is guilty, and that D-Day has arrived, and indeed the monarchy is about to fall over this matter, blah blah etc etc.

Thanks much, Sydney.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I know my question may be slightly off-topic, but what is this story of the threatening letter written by a Luxembourg Prince to Grand Duke Jean?
Old 01-31-2014, 06:45 AM
Aristocracy

I don't think any details are known. It was in 1978 and the police classified it as a stupid boy's prank. Considering the age of Grand Duke Henri and Prince Jean at the time, I guess it was Prince Guillaume who was 15 and probably he and his friends thought it would be funny or something along those lines.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Wow. I am even more confused than ever. But the situation sounds nothing at all like what I read described on another Board where one particularly overwrought and perpetually dishonest poster seems to be insinuating that it's common knowledge in the streets of Luxembourg that the one of the princes is guilty, and that D-Day has arrived, and indeed the monarchy is about to fall over this matter, blah blah etc etc.

Thanks much, Sydney.
I think it is best not to adress opinions about posts or posters of other boards here. Instead I think it is more fruitful to go to such boards and write down your concerns there.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:45 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

Thanks much, Sydney.
The whole BommeleeŽr Affair is rather shadowy with lots of unknown components.

Prince Jean would have had two possible motives that I can think of, either he hated is family so much that he somehow wanted to hurt them but as to do that he would have needed to confess the bombings and not have him kept out of the trial or he was very much in favour of his family and thus wanted to "protect" the institution on monarchy but letting the people think that Communist had actually planted those bombs. Both do not seem very believable to me. The third option would be that he tried to blackmail them into giving him money but nothing indicates that he was ever given anything for giving up his rights. Again, the Luxembourgish public did not know about the birth of Marie-Gabrielle so that might have played a major role in people thinking that "business reasons" can't be all the reasons why he gave up his claims to the throne considering that his older brother already had three sons at the time and Jean had thus slipped to fourth place in the succession.

And just think about it, would the Grand Ducal Family have kept in such a close contact with Prince Jean over all these years if they'd knew that he was (one of) the person(s) who planted about 20 bombs in Luxembourg!?
Old 01-31-2014, 08:42 PM
Serene Highness

Prince Jean would have nothing to gain by being involved in such a plot and everything to lose (his reputation and his freedom for one thing). The motives of those who were involved in the bombings according to what I've read on this forum were to increase law enforcement funding and to shift the political power more to the right or to have a more conservative government in Luxembourg.

The people who have said that Prince Jean was involved in this haven't said what his motive was. If would be very strange for someone to be involved with the planting of bombs and not have some motive behind being involved.

It also quite possible that someone who knew about this or was involved in it disliked Prince Jean or as others have said previously were angry with the royal family over something and to get back at them would make statements that would be difficult to prove one way or another.

What strange about this case is there is a lot of information out there about it but a lot of it makes no sense and there is no rhyme or reason to it.

I would think if you met someone who was royal and especially those in law enforcement, you would remember everything about the meeting, the date, time, place, what they were wearing, what they said, etc. This seems to be lacking in the testimony which makes it questionable.

Tags
prince guillaume, prince jean