Bommeleeër Trial: 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But the damage has been there since the first rumours started during the 1980's and the bad way the grand ducal court handled them back then. Something is probably going to stay forever and that's very unfortunate but I'm still glad that they were willing to give testimonies even before the court said that they had to.

Prince Guillaume apparently lost much of his memory due to his coma. Sadly enough he has no recollection of his wedding or the births of his eldest three children.

Even without memory loss owing to a medical condition, yet for middle-aged witnesses to give accounts of events three decades ago is highly likely to involve lapses and omissions, even in good faith.

As someone who has passed 50, I know that my own faculties are such that my memories of 30 - 40 years ago may well be clear and intense in some details, but they should not be regarded necessarily as more reliable than other people's recollections.

In some jurisdictions, someone who has medically certified memory problems may be deemed by a court to be 'unable adequately to instruct counsel', which means that they have no proper means of avoiding incriminating themselves: this must apply equally to the hypothetically innocent as to the hypothetically guilty. In other words, their involvement in an adversarial legal case is unlikely to prove useful.

Look at all the books that have been written about Dealy Plaza, Dallas, TX, November 22, 1963, with accounts of those who were there. Many people's stories will have been given in good faith, yet what may be honest recollections do differ materially in details.

I even heard of someone recently having started a law-suit about the sinking of the Titanic in 1912. Frankly, this kind of thing seems an abuse of the legal process.

Rather than paying for and prioritizing expensive, high profile investigations of events which occurred decades ago, with subpoenas being used as weapons, there must come a time when it becomes more appropriate for such investigations to be regarded as coming within the remit of historians and archivists.

Hopefully Prince Jean will succeed in dispelling rumours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom