Belgian State Visit to Luxembourg: October 15-17, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is included in the official agenda of the Belgian monarchy.

The two royal families have a warm relationship and are closely related. King Philippe is a first cousin of Grand Duke Henri, and the latter is technically a member of the Belgian royal family.

I was hoping for a state visit to Spain or the UK, but I guess that is not going to happen so soon. Hopefully we will see more of Queen Fabiola's jewels on Queen Mathilde.

I was hoping for a state visit to Spain or the UK, but I guess that is not going to happen so soon. Hopefully we will see more of Queen Fabiola's jewels on Queen Mathilde.

Spain is still having Problems because there is still no new goverment. I'm actually surpised that there will be a belgian State Visit as they too don't have a new government since the election in May and in Beglium it usually takes time.

Would be great to see ths spanish Wedding gift tiara in luxembourg if it is availible for Mathilde. And it would also be a good occasion for Grand Duchess Maria Teresa to bring out the Empire tiara.

Grand Duchess María Teresa misses the Belgian state visit because of her surgery next week. Her daughter-in-law, hereditary grand-duchess Stéphanie takes her place.

https://t.co/nONNcZZcbT?amp=1
Not surprising. Really a pitiy as it is the cousin of the Grand Duke who comes with his wife.

Well, now the HGD has an opportunity to step up to the plate. It shouldn't be difficult, Belgium is her native country and she is already good friends with Their Majesties.?

I wish for a speedy recovery for MT.:sad:

King Philippe and Queen Mathilde leave for a state visit to Luxembourg. With the train that has been specially laid in for them and the Belgian delegation from Brussels-Luxembourg station. Five carriages for around 100 passengers.

https://www.belgaimage.be/#/gallery/6747138

Last edited:
Its a pity that the Grand Duchess will be absent from this State Visit.

Soon at the banquet should be Grand Duke Henri and Prince Guillaume and Princess Stephanie. Will anyone else from the Luxembourg Grand-Ducal Family be present?

King Philippe and Queen Mathilde leave for a state visit to Luxembourg. With the train that has been specially laid in for them and the Belgian delegation from Brussels-Luxembourg station. Five carriages for around 100 passengers.

https://www.belgaimage.be/#/gallery/6747138

Why such a big delegation ? It looks extravagant to me to take 100 people to a state visit to neighboring Luxembourg.

Wonmder why Guillame and Stephanie where not prtesent at the Welcome ceremony. It had previously been announced that Stephanie would replace the Grand Duchess and she usually takes part there.

There was no time to go to Berg and the carpet looks like the carpet at the Palais

I heard on the Flemish radio news that the king and queen used 'the government train' -with a royal crown on it- for the first time. I never knew Belgium had such a train.

A nice photo of the four together. The Grand Duchess looks informal but great in her white blouse.

Last edited:
Wonmder why Guillame and Stephanie where not prtesent at the Welcome ceremony. It had previously been announced that Stephanie would replace the Grand Duchess and she usually takes part there.
According to the agenda, Grand Duke Henri accompanies the King and Queen for most of the visit. HGD Stephanie accompanies Queen Mathilde for some events on October 16.

Visite d'État au Luxembourg de LL.MM. le roi et la reine des Belges — gouvernement.lu // Le gouvernement luxembourgeois

I hope Hed Grand Duchess Stephanie will receive the Leopold Order , our highest Order.

Spain is still having Problems because there is still no new goverment. I'm actually surpised that there will be a belgian State Visit as they too don't have a new government since the election in May and in Beglium it usually takes time.

Would be great to see ths spanish Wedding gift tiara in luxembourg if it is availible for Mathilde. And it would also be a good occasion for Grand Duchess Maria Teresa to bring out the Empire tiara.

I don´t know if we talk about the same tiara - but if we do, I guess it will never leave its vault again: it was a gift from Franco, a man we today regard as one of the meanest dictators, under whose regime 1000s of people were killed, napped or tortured.
I was wondering, too, why Fabiola never passed it on to her successors as I must admit, it looked quite beautiful and the royal ladies of Belgium don´t really "bathe" in jewellery - until I learned it was a gift for her from the "Generalissimo"...:ermm::sad: So, it would be highly politically incorrect of the current Queen in today´s standards to use it.

I heard on the Flemish radio news that the king and queen used 'the government train' -with a royal crown on it- for the first time. I never knew Belgium had such a train.

A nice photo of the four together. The Grand Duchess looks informal but great in her white blouse.

No it is just an old passenger train with visible bumps in the aluminium on which a sticker is glued with the royal Arms. See the shocking state of the train the Belgian Railways thought it was a perfect representation: https://static.lavenir.net/Assets/I...axheight=280&maxwidth=400&scale=downscaleonly

Mathilde has traveled with the Dutch royal train which exist out of one specific made wagon and two former Intercity Plus-wagons transformed into accompanying wagons, in the same livery, to form a coherent looking train with own staff:
https://cdn.indicium.nu/source/beau...n_mathilde-thumbnail.jpg?w=540&h=380&fit=crop

State Visit or no State Visit, not even a plant or a nice plaid, good heavens... :
https://static.standaard.be/Assets/...5__.jpg?maxheight=280&maxwidth=400&scale=both

Last edited:
VTM has more:

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2019/10/15/reed-koningspaar-met-speciale-trein-naar-luxemburg/

It is a normal train carriage that recently has been refurbished. After the visit the train will be used for normal service. The trip took 3 hours, which is longer than a car trip. The train departed from the station Brussels-Luxembourg, close to the European parliament.

Apparently during other visits the king and queen used the Eurostar to visit London and the Thalys to visit Paris.

A short Video from the Banquet. Queen mathilde in the full nine provinces tiara. The grand Duchess is pfresent wearing the belgian scroll tiara (she wears nos sahs) and it looks like Stephanie is wearing the bandeau tiara with the yellow stones

How nice that the Grand Duchess was there after all. They had the ladies all sitting on a sofa this time, probably so that Maria Theresa wouldn't have to stand for a long time.
I guess we have to wait for the close up pictures before we can clearly make out Mathilde's earrings. Tiara-wise it was business as usual.

Lovely to see MT attended, I guess when they are attending events in the Palace she feels well and mobile enough to attend. A discreet wheelchair may even be in use.

Lovely to see MT attended, I guess when they are attending events in the Palace she feels well and mobile enough to attend. A discreet wheelchair may even be in use.
But it is not the Place where the live, which is outside from Luxemburg town.

Wonder how they do it for the reception line. Perhaps she is seating there like Queen Margrethe does it for the New Years Courts.

Really nice to see Grand Duchess Maria Theresa present,I take it Princess Stephanie didn't get a Belgian Order?

But it is not the Place where the live, which is outside from Luxemburg town.

Wonder how they do it for the reception line. Perhaps she is seating there like Queen Margrethe does it for the New Years Courts.

I understand they live at Castle Berg but is seems MT has some mobility and is not bed stricken so if she can use a wheelchair/crutches to get from room to room with plenty of sitting down in between and can be taken there in a car I guess she thought she should/would like to attend the dinner and welcome at least.

I take it Princess Stephanie didn't get a Belgian Order?

She has got the beligan order of the Crown which also her husband has. The sash is in a very dark red. The same Order was also given to the danish Crown Princely Couple. I thought that maybe the luxemburgian would get the Order oe Leopold due to the close realtionship between the Families.

She has got the beligan order of the Crown which also her husband has. The sash is in a very dark red. The same Order was also given to the danish Crown Princely Couple. I thought that maybe the luxemburgian would get the Order oe Leopold due to the close realtionship between the Families.

I believe CP Frederik got the Order of Leopold and Mary got the Order of the Crown.

I am surprised Guillaume wasn't also awarded the Order of Leopold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom