150th Anniversary of the Treaty of London Celebrations: May 11, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm so proud of Catherine. Love seeing her expanding her role and duties as a senior royal. Looking forward to this event.

Last edited:
The Duchess of Cambridge: Official Visit to Luxembourg - 11 May 2017

Kensington Palace‏@KensingtonRoyal
The Duchess of Cambridge will visit Luxembourg on the 11th of May and attend the commemoration of the 1867 Treaty of London.

It is the next stage in what has been dubbed the Royals "Brexit tour" of Europe, which will see them visit Paris, Romania, Italy, Austria, Germany and Poland in the first half of the year.

A spokesman for Kensington Palace said: "The Duchess of Cambridge will visit Luxembourg on the 11th of May and will attend the commemoration of the 1867 Treaty of London which confirmed Luxembourg’s independence and neutrality.

"This visit is at the request of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office."
Read more: Duchess of Cambridge to take solo trip to Luxembourg

Last edited:
Is the Duchess of Cambridge going to be with any member of the Royal Family of Luxembourg?

Presumably there will be other royals present at this commemoration?

Good, time for the Duchess to meet other royals on her own.

She's already started.

Last fall she had lunch with King Willem-Alexander, Queen Maxima and their three daughters at the royal residence, Villa Eikenhorst.

These visits are at the request of the Foreign Office. She can't just up and travel to Denmark and meet with Prince Fredrick

Good. I like it when spouses go solo. Makes them less of an appendix to their royal husband/wife.

Between the diamond jubilee and London 2012 Olympics, Kate would have met tons of foreign royals. Even with WWI 100th anniversary, she would met some of them again.

She's already started.

Last fall she had lunch with King Willem-Alexander, Queen Maxima and their three daughters at the royal residence, Villa Eikenhorst.

These visits are at the request of the Foreign Office. She can't just up and travel to Denmark and meet with Prince Fredrick

Catherine had lunch with just the King. The Queen was in Argentina at the time. The Princesses were probably at school as it was a normal schoolday that day (Tuesday).

At minimum, I expect GD Henri and GD Maria Teresa to attend. It'd be weird if no one from the GDF attended the commemoration.

how very exciting - since it is very likely a member of the GD family will be present, i can't wait to know who it will be. hopefully, guillaume and stephanie will welcome kate.

Why this date though!?! I'm having pretty big Dental Surgery that same day w/all my Molars needing out, in the OR & being out like a light. So am I going to be in any shape to follow this equally big event?

Grrrr!!!

Rebecca English‏ @RE_DailyMail
More details released re Duchess of Cambridge's visit to Luxembourg on May 11 for the official commemoration of the 1867 Treaty of London.

Kate will attend several events to celebrate cultural ties between Luxembourg and U.K incl visit to Grand Duke Jean Museum of Modern Art.

The Duchess of Cambridge will also call on HRHs Grand Duke and Duchess of Luxembourg at the Grand Ducal Palace #royalvisitluxembourg

Kate will also get the chance to take in views of the city from the corniche at the Luxembourg City Museum & visit the Drai Eechelen Museum.

I'm looking forward to this visit - and also into seeing Catherine with the Luxembourg royals.

THE DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE WILL VISIT LUXEMBOURG Thursday 11th May, 2017

The Duchess of Cambridge, at the request of Her Majesty's Government, will visit Luxembourg on 11th May to participate in the official commemoration of the 1867 Treaty of London. During the visit, Her Royal Highness will also attend a series of engagements to celebrate the cultural and historic ties between the UK and Luxembourg.

On arrival, the Duchess will visit Grand Duke Jean Museum of Modern Art (MUDAM) to tour current exhibitions by British artists Sir Tony Cragg and Darren Almond. At the museum, Her Royal Highness will also attend a reception with leading young Luxembourgers in the fields of culture, education, business and the charitable sector.

In the centre of the capital, the Duchess will visit Place Clairefontaine, and tour a cycling-themed festival, which celebrates the shared UK and Luxembourg passion for the sport. Her Royal Highness will be introduced to the Grand Duchy's most famous cycling icons, and meet children who are designing Tour de France jerseys, ahead of the tour coming to Luxembourg in July. The Duchess will also unveil a mural of British cyclist Tom Simpson and Luxembourgish cycling legend Charly Gaul.

Next, The Duchess will call on Their Royal Highnesses The Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg at the Grand Ducal Palace.

Her Royal Highness will then join the official commemoration of the 1867 Treaty of London, which confirmed Luxembourg’s independence and neutrality, at Luxembourg City Museum. Here, a new collection about Luxembourg's history will be unveiled. Following this, Her Royal Highness, with other guests, will be led on a short walk outside the museum to take in the stunning views of the capital on the corniche (viewing trail).

The Duchess of Cambridge will continue to Dräi Eechelen Museum for the main commemoration event, where the Prime Minister, Mayor and Museum Director will speak. The Duchess will be given a guided tour of 'Luxembourg 1867 – Open City', the new exhibition, which explains how the dismantling of Luxembourg’s fortifications laid the foundation for the transformation of Luxembourg into an open and outward-looking city and country.

Last edited:
Loving the fact that our Catherine is flying solo on the royal stage. It shows how far she's come and her dedication to duty.

Yes I think it's neat that she's doing these day trips outside the UK....and if I understand it correctly she's being asked to come (or a member of the BRF is being asked to come) visit when she's going on these visits...it's not just 'busy work' being created.

LaRae

interesting to hear kate will not be received by the Hereditary Grand Duke and duchess but by the Grand Duke and duchess themselves. i would have expected her to be received by the younger generation, specially as MUDAM is stephanie's patronage. hope guillaume and stephanie make an appearance :)

interesting to hear kate will not be received by the Hereditary Grand Duke and duchess but by the Grand Duke and duchess themselves. i would have expected her to be received by the younger generation, specially as MUDAM is stephanie's patronage. hope guillaume and stephanie make an appearance :)

I think its because this visit is about the anniversary of Treaty of London and Anglo/Lux relationship, therefore Grand Duke makes sense.

The Duchess of Cambridge will be with the HGD couple for most of the visit, according to the Cour’s agenda
Célébrations du 150ème anniversaire de la signature du Traité de Londres - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Mai 2017

Visit to the exhibition "Tony Cragg & Darren Almond" at Mudam
HGD Stephanie

Audience at the Grand Ducal Palace
GD Henri, GD Maria Teresa, HGD Guillaume, HGD Stephanie, Princess Alexandra

Visit to Luxembourg City Museum
HGD Guillaume, HGD Stephanie

Visit to the exhibition "1867. Luxembourg - open city" at the Dräi Eechelen Museum

Last edited:
The Duchess of Cambridge will be with the HGD couple for most of the visit, according to the Cour’s agenda
Célébrations du 150ème anniversaire de la signature du Traité de Londres - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Mai 2017

Visit to the exhibition "Tony Cragg & Darren Almond" at Mudam
HGD Stephanie

Audience at the Grand Ducal Palace
GD Henri, GD Maria Teresa, HGD Guillaume, HGD Stephanie, Princess Alexandra

Visit to Luxembourg City Museum

Visit to the exhibition "1867. Luxembourg - open city" at the Dräi Eechelen Museum
This is great :) I was hoping some of the younger Lux royals would be involved!

Any updates re the trip to Lux today?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kate is attending commemorations marking the 150th anniversary 1867 Treaty of London, that confirmed the country's independence and neutrality

The Duchess of Cambridge begins a day of engagements in Luxembourg.
https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/status/862627894845165568

Kate pictured arriving at the Musze d'Art Moderne during a day of visits in Luxembourg (Photo: PA)
http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article10400333.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Royal-visit-to-Luxembourg.jpg
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/watch-live-kate-middleton-attends-10399374

Last edited:
Presumably there will be other royals present at this commemoration?

Good, time for the Duchess to meet other royals on her own.

The Treaty of London (1867) was originally signed by:

• The Austrian Empire
  • The Kingdom of Belgium
  • The French Empire
  • The Kingdom of Italy
  • The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
  • The Kingdom of the Netherlands
  • The Kingdom of Prussia
  • The Russian Empire
  • The United Kingdom

Source: Wikipedia .

Most of the above-referenced countries later became republics, but I wonder if they will also be represented in this commemoration.

Last edited:
Great crowds. A lot of people have come out to see Catherine.

Back
Top Bottom