What do the imperial family actually do besides public duties?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonsfire8

Aristocracy
City
Surrey
Country
Canada
Besides all the public events and duties the older members of the imperial family actually perform or attened, what do they do with the rest of their time? :huh:

And what about the younger members, besides school and school related activities what else do they actually do?

The Emperor is a world renowned scientists in the area of research into fish. He has a laboratory in the ground of the Imperial Palace. The Empress writes and illustrates children's books.

The Emperor's brother Prince Hitachi carries out research into cancer treatment, I can't remember at what facility. His wife Princess Hanako translates children's books from English into Japanese.

Prince Mikasa ( the Emperor's uncle) although now 91 in his younger days was an academic in middle eastern archeology. His son Prince Tomohito also went on archeological digs.

Prince Tomohito's now deceased younger brother Prince Takamado was the director of the Japan Foundation. He also wrote ballet reviews for newspapers.

Prince Naruhito's area of expertise is waterways and he plays viola in an orchestra.

Prince Akishino has a PhD in fish research too I think and carries out research.

Their sister the former Princess Sayako worked as a paid researcher for the ornithology institute and carried out research into kingfishes.

Prince Tomohito's oldest daughter is at university at Oxford, his younger daughter just graduated from Gakushuin university in Tokyo.

Prince Takamado's oldest daughter is studying at Edinbourgh University, her 2 younger sisters are still in high school.

Charlotte1 said:
The Emperor is a world renowned scientists in the area of research into fish. He has a laboratory in the ground of the Imperial Palace. The Empress writes and illustrates children's books.

The Emperor's brother Prince Hitachi carries out research into cancer treatment, I can't remember at what facility. His wife Princess Hanako translates children's books from English into Japanese.

Prince Mikasa ( the Emperor's uncle) although now 91 in his younger days was an academic in middle eastern archeology. His son Prince Tomohito also went on archeological digs.

Prince Tomohito's now deceased younger brother Prince Takamado was the director of the Japan Foundation. He also wrote ballet reviews for newspapers.

Prince Naruhito's area of expertise is waterways and he plays viola in an orchestra.

Prince Akishino has a PhD in fish research too I think and carries out research.

Their sister the former Princess Sayako worked as a paid researcher for the ornithology institute and carried out research into kingfishes.

Prince Tomohito's oldest daughter is at university at Oxford, his younger daughter just graduated from Gakushuin university in Tokyo.

Prince Takamado's oldest daughter is studying at Edinbourgh University, her 2 younger sisters are still in high school.

OK....What about Princess Masako and Kiko? Do they just sit around all day at home at prepare their kids, Princesses Aiko, Mako, Kako, and Prince Hisahito for the rest of the day?

Also I think in another thread mentions that the older members of the imperial family only worked as part time researchers? As for the Emperor, I thought that he had little time to actually do research, if that is true, what does do with most of his time besides research?

I think Princess Takamado also writes children's books.

dragonsfire8 said:
OK....What about Princess Masako and Kiko? Do they just sit around all day at home at prepare their kids, Princesses Aiko, Mako, Kako, and Prince Hisahito for the rest of the day?

Also I think in another thread mentions that the older members of the imperial family only worked as part time researchers? As for the Emperor, I thought that he had little time to actually do research, if that is true, what does do with most of his time besides research?

At the moment Princess Masako isn't doing much except trying to get healthy, but the crown prince and princess have a heavier official workload than the minor royals.

Princess Kiko has done the first part of her PhD in psychology. She also has quite a heavy official workload, although currently she's been given time off to care for her new baby.

The Emperor has a very heavy official workload, it's all listed on the official site (kunaicho) last year he carried out over 1000 official duties, that's more than any other monarch. In comparison QEII carried out over 500. The official site also lists all the official engagements for the Empress. The research into fish he does with his free time, it's not counted as official duties.

Wow. They're so intelligent! I think that stuff is so cool, the "other" work royals do.

Charlotte1 said:
At the moment Princess Masako isn't doing much except trying to get healthy, but the crown prince and princess have a heavier official workload than the minor royals.

Princess Kiko has done the first part of her PhD in psychology. She also has quite a heavy official workload, although currently she's been given time off to care for her new baby.

The Emperor has a very heavy official workload, it's all listed on the official site (kunaicho) last year he carried out over 1000 official duties, that's more than any other monarch. In comparison QEII carried out over 500. The official site also lists all the official engagements for the Empress. The research into fish he does with his free time, it's not counted as official duties.

Thanks for the info.

But what do these "Official Duties" include? Is it in the sence of just appearing in a few photo shoots, meetings, public events, state/official visits....etc.

And just how "heavy" is their official workload that it is enough to land Princess Masako in this kind of condition, health wise. Hope she gets better soon!!!

Carrying out more than 1000 official duties is pretty intense for anyone, young or old, I find that its amazing that the Emperor can keep up with the pace. And who exactlly plans out these events and do they actually consider it healthy for the Emperor to be so busy at his age? It cannot be healthy, in my personal opinion, for him or anybody else.

Last edited:
dragonsfire8 said:
Thanks for the info.

But what do these "Official Duties" include? Is it in the sence of just appearing in a few photo shoots, meetings, public events, state/official visits....etc.

And just how "heavy" is their official workload that it is enough to land Princess Masako in this kind of condition, health wise. Hope she gets better soon!!!

Carrying out more than 1000 official duties is pretty intense for anyone, young or old, I find that its amazing that the Emperor can keep up with the pace. And who exactlly plans out these events and do they actually consider the healthy for the Emperor to be so busy at his age? It cannot be healthy, in my personal opinion, for him or anybody else.

Look on the official site (kunaicho) and then go to his latest birthday interview, after the interview all the previous years official duties are mentioned. It's quite precise mentioning exactly how many meetings, trips etc he carried out.

And yes his schedule is quite hectic, this year in his son Prince Akishino in his birthday interview said he was concerned about the fact that his parents were expected to carry out so many official duties at their age.

Charlotte1 said:
Look on the official site (kunaicho) and then go to his latest birthday interview, after the interview all the previous years official duties are mentioned. It's quite precise mentioning exactly how many meetings, trips etc he carried out.

And yes his schedule is quite hectic, this year in his son Prince Akishino in his birthday interview said he was concerned about the fact that his parents were expected to carry out so many official duties at their age.

Hmmm....Thanks for the info.

Just wondering...where can I find Prince Akishino's birthday interview text...I know that the official site usually post the interviews for every year, but I cant seem to find the latest one for Prince Akishino.

For some of the interviews the English translation isn't done right away, Akishino's 2006 interview and also Masako's written answers one for 2006 aren't in English on the official site.

Look in the thread on Akishino at the time of his birthday Nov 30th and you'll find extracts from his 2006 interview in the news reports. Or else just be patient and eventually the English translation will go up on the official site.

Charlotte1 said:
For some of the interviews the English translation isn't done right away, Akishino's 2006 interview and also Masako's written answers one for 2006 aren't in English on the official site.

Look in the thread on Akishino at the time of his birthday Nov 30th and you'll find extracts from his 2006 interview in the news reports. Or else just be patient and eventually the English translation will go up on the official site.

Thanks. But does anybody know if they are posted in Japanese on the official site?

Did Princess Masako's written answers to her interview include here activities for the past year, that is if anybody knows. Is there a summary on the interview somewhere so that I have some idea what were her thoughts and opinions were for the past year?

Last edited:
dragonsfire8 said:
Thanks. But does anybody know if they are posted in Japanese on the official site?

Did Princess Masako's written answers to her interview include here activitie for the past year, that is if anybody knows. Is there a summary on the interview somewhere so that I have some idea what were her thoughts and opinions were for the past year?

I've checked, they are on the Japanese site. ( I can read enough Japanese to find them) To read them you will need a computer that's enabled for Japanese script and an ablitity to read Sino-Japanese characters!

If you can't read Japanese your best resource is this website and look in the relevant threads, Mandyy does a great job in posting all the information and photos that are available in English. Masako's thread has articles of her interview last year ( Masako's birthday is Dec 9th)

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlotte1 said:
I've checked, they are on the Japanese site. ( I can read enough Japanese to find them) To read them you will need a computer that's enabled for Japanese script and an ablitity to read Sino-Japanese characters!

If you can't read Japanese your best resource is this website and look in the relevant threads, Mandyy does a great job in posting all the information and photos that are available in English. Masako's thread has articles of her interview last year ( Masako's birthday is Dec 9th)

Thanks. I'll have look. The ones posted are for only the main royals, that is if I'm not wrong.

I assume that the younger members do not have official duties unless they are with their parents or unless absolutely necessary. Is it always just school for the younger members? How is it it done for the younger members of the imperial family?

Does anyone get the feeling that the IHA controls everything the Imperial family do? I sometimes wonder if the IHA also controls even the bodily needs of the human body, when it comes to the Imperial family, as in telling when to go to the bathroom to do their buissness, how to put on their clothing, when to feel hot or cold....etc?

What about Princess Masako and Kiko?
Both have excellent educational background. Kiko have Phd on psychology and Masako was a brilliant diplomat.

el-khanz said:
What about Princess Masako and Kiko?
Both have excellent educational background. Kiko have Phd on psychology and Masako was a brilliant diplomat.

Like it is posted in #5, Crown Princess Masako is still recovering. As for Princess Kiko, I think she only done a part of her PhD, but right now is taking time off from completing it because she has to take care of her new baby, Prince Hisahito.

The Imperial Family does a loy of things nesides they public duties, as you may see. But I think that being what they are is enough for them. They are a symbol and the Monarchy basis is they are it, no more, no less.

I'm happy that they are cultivated people, interested in a lot of things, but being a royal is a very hard dutie "per se" if well done. Sometimes, people only notices royalty advantages and seapks about royals yatchs, palaces, expensive jewels, sofisticated meals, glittering parties, luxurious holidays...But this is only a part of a royal life, and not all of them are agreeable and glamourous. Of course, nowadays, there are some bad royals (I will not give names) that only takes the best part of their tasks...and these are the worst publicity for Monarchy it could be. Being aware about how they lives, people uses to ask to themselves "And why this man (or woman) must live better than me, if he (she) is a parasite and doesn't do anything but put in nice clothes and go to eat caviar and drink chamagne with other parasites like him (her)? And in some way, they are absolutely right.

Vanesa.:ermm:

Vanesa said:
The Imperial Family does a loy of things nesides they public duties, as you may see. But I think that being what they are is enough for them. They are a symbol and the Monarchy basis is they are it, no more, no less.

I'm happy that they are cultivated people, interested in a lot of things, but being a royal is a very hard dutie "per se" if well done. Sometimes, people only notices royalty advantages and seapks about royals yatchs, palaces, expensive jewels, sofisticated meals, glittering parties, luxurious holidays...But this is only a part of a royal life, and not all of them are agreeable and glamourous. Of course, nowadays, there are some bad royals (I will not give names) that only takes the best part of their tasks...and these are the worst publicity for Monarchy it could be. Being aware about how they lives, people uses to ask to themselves "And why this man (or woman) must live better than me, if he (she) is a parasite and doesn't do anything but put in nice clothes and go to eat caviar and drink chamagne with other parasites like him (her)? And in some way, they are absolutely right.

Vanesa.:ermm:

I could not put it better in my own words. I completely agree, just curious in what they do with the rest of their lives.

Does anybody get the feeling that there is a lot more coverage on Prince Akishino's family duties and lives as of late? And very little if no coverage on the Crown Princely family?

Daily Life & usual Diet of The Imperial Family, please?

Greetings, and Happy New Year to you all!

I have always been very curious as to HOW members of this family spend their days, after awakening, and what they usually eat. I am not referring to "State Dinners" now, and other special occasions. I am referring to what their day-to-day eating habits are, please.

About the daily activities: What does one DO as a Japanese Royal, from day to day after waking up in the Akasaka Palace? You know, do they watch TV, work out, what meetings do they attend, etc.
Also, are they allowed out at all to shop, run errands, go to the cinema, meet their past friends, and family?

Thank you.

I hope to be referred to Articles that cover these subjects IN ENGLISH if at all possible.

-- Abbie

Hi Abigail,

I wish I have seen this question of yours earlier:)

According to a Chinese online news article: ÈÕ±¾Ìì»Ê"»îÔÚÓã¸×Àï"-Öйú½ðÓãרҵÍø

Bascially it says:

The Imperial couple lives like an overstructured gold fishes living in a pot.

Every morning the couple gets up at 6:30am. They will then watch tv news and will also take a walk in the palace garden. The palace is situated in the centre of Tokyo city. There are occasionally guests. The palace itself can not be compared to the grandness of European palaces.

It is said that if the Emperor wants to go to another building in the palace complex he would usually walk. If raining, he would drive his fourteen year old Honda car. He persists to drive according to the driving rules, put on his seat belt, updating his licence every few years, though the avenues in the palace complex are all private.

After a busy day, in the night after everything else, they would either watch tv programs about natural ecology or video tapes about the same theme. They have neither dvds nor internet. They would also read newspapers and magazines.

Because of their busy life, they dont have much time to see their friends or for leisure. Their chef for over 10 years commented that if their majesties have one day in a week free, then it would be considered lucky. Their majesties belong to the generation of hard-working. They almost vew leisure and luxury as sinful.

The Emperor loves tennis and cello. However his greates interest has to be gobies (a type of fish). Ever since 1967, the Emperor has written 38 essays on gobies. This has made him an expert in gobies. This great interest comes from his youth when he would often visit his villa with his father to collect samples of gobies.

Once, the natural science organization of United Kingdom asked Akihito to give a speech on his research of gobies. The Emperor was grateful about this and humbly said "he feels he is not so qualified". The Empress during a press conference, once said "not so long after our engagement, the then Crown Prince chatted with me about fishes. He was able to give out very specific names of fishes such as Tilapia mossambica. I was so surprised by him!"

Another artical, which I could not find on the internet anymore says that the Empress gets up around 5:30 am every morning and would power walk in the palace straight after before breakfast is served.

Greetings, and Happy New Year to you all!

I have always been very curious as to HOW members of this family spend their days, after awakening, and what they usually eat. I am not referring to "State Dinners" now, and other special occasions. I am referring to what their day-to-day eating habits are, please.

About the daily activities: What does one DO as a Japanese Royal, from day to day after waking up in the Akasaka Palace? You know, do they watch TV, work out, what meetings do they attend, etc.
Also, are they allowed out at all to shop, run errands, go to the cinema, meet their past friends, and family?

Thank you.

I hope to be referred to Articles that cover these subjects IN ENGLISH if at all possible.

-- Abbie

According to this Chinese online news article: ÈÕ±¾ÃÀÖÇ×ӻʺóÔ¸ÍûÊÇѧÆï³µ_Ȥζʷ»°_Öйú¾*¼ÃÍø¡ª¡ª¹ú¼Ò¾*¼ÃÃÅ»§

On her 73th birthday press conference, the Empress said: one morning, during a walk in the palace garden, the Emperor and I discovered that the "job's tears" have rippened and so we picked some. We've decided to pick some every year so that when Princess Aiko is old enough, we can use them to play the game "making necklaces" with her.

Also the Empress said that Princess Mako and Kako are taking care of their little brother, Hisahito, like little mothers. They change his clothes with experience but also act a little mischevious, while the little Aiko would gently touch his little hands are quite a cute scene.

According to another Chinese article about Empress Michiko's background:
日本新华侨网 《日本新华侨报》——ä¸*日交流桥梁 在日华人家å›*平成皇后平民燕--美智å*çš‡åŽ

The article mentioned a bit about the then Miss Michiko Shoda's daily life:

Miss Michiko's daily life reflected an upper class maiden's lifestyle pattern.
Michiko was a student of the prestigious Tokyo Sacred Hearts School. This is a Catholic school which aims to polish every student into individual shiny diamonds with no residuals, developing them into a member of the upper society. Michiko remained a Buddhist.

Every morning, she went to school and came back home at 3pm. Then she would have afternoon tea followed by homework. Shoda family would have dinner at 6pm. At 8pm, Shoda family would be in their living room ready to listen to Michiko's mother's performance of Chopin and other famous composers' works on piano. Sometimes, the children would sing with the music.

Michiko's academic result was always amongst the top few. She was also interested in various school activities. She was chosen to be the school captain.

Michiko was a polite and sunny student. She was so excellent altogether to the point that once a teacher said to her: you are almost a perfect girl. perhaps your perfectness is your short-coming.

Every summer, the whole family would go to Karuizawa. At there, Michiko would indulge herself in the surrounding nature and tennis.

According to Times article: The girl from outside: Michiko loved playing tennis in Karuizawa. She would play almost everyday there. She also enjoyed dropping into the little village shops for rice balls and noodles—a passion that absorbed nearly all her monthly allowance of $2.78.

Also according to another article: Michiko loved mashamellows.

Forgot to mention that the Imperial Family only harvest from the Imperial farm. Milk, egg, vegetables. I'm not sure about grains and meat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, my! How very educational this is :)

Hi Abigail,

I wish I have seen this question of yours earlier:)

According to a Chinese online news article: ÈÕ±¾Ìì»Ê"»îÔÚÓã¸×Àï"-Öйú½ðÓãרҵÍø

Bascially it says:

The Imperial couple lives like an overstructured gold fishes living in a pot.

Every morning the couple gets up at 6:30am. They will then watch tv news and will also take a walk in the palace garden. The palace is situated in the centre of Tokyo city. There are occasionally guests. The palace itself can not be compared to the grandness of European palaces.

It is said that if the Emperor wants to go to another building in the palace complex he would usually walk. If raining, he would drive his fourteen year old Honda car. He persists to drive according to the driving rules, put on his seat belt, updating his licence every few years, though the avenues in the palace complex are all private.

After a busy day, in the night after everything else, they would either watch tv programs about natural ecology or video tapes about the same theme. They have neither dvds nor internet. They would also read newspapers and magazines.

Because of their busy life, they dont have much time to see their friends or for leisure. Their chef for over 10 years commented that if their majesties have one day in a week free, then it would be considered lucky. Their majesties belong to the generation of hard-working. They almost vew leisure and luxury as sinful.

The Emperor loves tennis and cello. However his greates interest has to be gobies (a type of fish). Ever since 1967, the Emperor has written 38 essays on gobies. This has made him an expert in gobies. This great interest comes from his youth when he would often visit his villa with his father to collect samples of gobies.

Once, the natural science organization of United Kingdom asked Akihito to give a speech on his research of gobies. The Emperor was grateful about this and humbly said "he feels he is not so qualified". The Empress during a press conference, once said "not so long after our engagement, the then Crown Prince chatted with me about fishes. He was able to give out very specific names of fishes such as Tilapia mossambica. I was so surprised by him!"

Another artical, which I could not find on the internet anymore says that the Empress gets up around 5:30 am every morning and would power walk in the palace straight after before breakfast is served.

Wow! I have read your posts under this Thread of mine, and fine your replies very helpful and educational!

I cannot thank you enough.

Now, I don't speak nor read a word of Chinese, Japanese or any of the other Asian languages. I regret this.
So, I especially THANK you for your translation of it all :flowers::flowers:

Poppy, would you know of any ENGLISH Articles about daily life and living, of The Imperial Family, that are in English?

Feel free to respond as much as you like or care to, to my Thread!

This is so COOL ;)!

-- Abbie (PLEASE, you may call me Abbie if you wish to)

Oh, wow ...

Hi Abbie, I am glad that you enjoyed my responses^^

I have just found a English website about the Imperial family which I am pretty sure that was where I got my information about the Empress does power walk. Just scroll down to where you see "The Daily Life of The Imperial Family : japan imperial family families pacific far east japan constitution emperor court garden daily life

Wowza, this is terrific!

Just terrific ... THANK you so much for this, Poppy.

Yes, I have read the page and enjoyed it immensely. In fact, I have just bookmarked it, too!

Anything else you can find and post here would be much appreciated, too.

I just wish that Chinese Article to which you linked us, earlier in this Thread could be fully translated, that's all.

I am surprised at how early everyone gets up, aren't you?

-- Abbie :wub:

Poppy,
Thanks a lot for providing information about daily life of the Imperial family. :flowers::flowers::flowers:
Well... I have to say that their life is really, really structured

Here is a piece that tells us a lot about the restricted life Japan´s royals lead but also serves to illustrate the fact that IHA officials sometimes disagree with each other ;) :
[...] No one is going to manage to snap a picture of a naked Crown Prince Naruhito or a topless Princess Masako. Why should pictures of a naked Prince Harry or a topless Kate Middleton be floating around? It is, as they say, an avoidable problem.

Of course, the Japanese imperials tend to stick to the private sphere, but I am reminded of the small role I and my family played in getting the current Crown Prince out a bit. My brother Keith was Naruhito’s best friend when they were students together in Oxford. (They have remained close ever since. Keith was one of the few Westerners at his wedding reception.)

I was a graduate student at Oxford at the time, as were two more of my brothers, Kent and Edward. Keith and the Prince (“Hiro” as he was then known) used to come over to my house sometimes — I was already married by then, and was the only one with a house — and that was considered by the Prince’s attendants (and security people) to be a big step into the outer world. We decided that the next step was to take him out to an old-fashioned English pub. That, of course, was a challenge. In fact, it was pretty clear that it was a cause of controversy among those responsible for looking out for the Prince. In the end, though, the “modernizers” won, and he went out with us for a pint of ale. At the end of the evening, I recall that he very deliberately reached into his pocket and pulled out a ten pound note to cover his share. I suspect that it was the first time in his life he had ever paid for something himself or even had money in his possession. He seemed to enjoy the entire evening, especially the paying!

The next step we had in mind was impossible—or so we were told. We cooked up a plan for him to visit our family at home in West Virginia. Hiro clearly wanted to do it, but this was a decision that could only be made by the powers in Tokyo. Again, there was division. Miraculously, though, the Chamberlain (a wonderful man named Dr. Fuji, who deeply believed that the younger royals should not be excessively sheltered from the world) prevailed and the trip was arranged. It happened in the summer after Keith and Hiro completed their studies. Wonderfully, the Prince and his entourage made a stop to visit my wife and me in Princeton on his way to West Virginia. We hosted a party for him with officials of the University and members of the faculty who were interested in Japanese history, culture, and politics.

I was a brand new assistant professor, and getting a visit from the Prince was, to say the least, a news item on campus. (I happened to know that the Prince was a fan of the actress Brooke Shields, who was a student here at the time. I arranged for them to be introduced, and they ended up forming a nice friendship. She even visited him in Japan, which caused something of a sensation. He was unmarried and unattached at the time.) We all (well, not Brooke) went together, then, to West Virgnia, followed by three busloads of Japanese reporters and photographers. We took him to see a coal mine and other sites, and had a reception at our home where we pulled out the banjos and guitars and played some bluegrass music. He is a classically trained violinist, and we tried our best that evening to convert him and Dr. Fuji, who accompanied him and also played the violin, into bluegrass fiddlers. In this, I must confess, we were not entirely successful. They gave it their best shot, though. I guess we hit what might be called a “cultural divide.”
Robert P. George, Thoughts on Royals

:previous:
Thanks for additional insights into Crown Prince Naruhito's life. The life of any Asian royal is strictly governed by courtiers, who follow the established procedures and protocols.

Last edited:
Well this list of the Imperial families degrees and interests makes me feel shabby in comparison. Researchers PHD cello and violas! I am admiring that family more and more.

Back
Top Bottom