The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-01-2006, 07:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Rally against Japan royals change
About 40 Japanese lawmakers have joined a rally in Tokyo to protest against government plans to allow women to ascend to the throne.
Former Trade Minister Takeo Hiranuma told supporters that the move could dilute the imperial line. A bill to change the Imperial Household Law's succession rules is expected to be presented to parliament this year.....................
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4669408.stm

Lawmakers decries plan to let women ascend Japanese throne
TOKYO -- Dozens of conservative lawmakers and their supporters Wednesday blasted a proposal to let a woman take the Japanese throne, warning the move would threaten a centuries-old tradition -- and could even allow foreign blood into the imperial line.
The lawmakers, led by former Trade Minister Takeo Hiranuma, are fighting a law being drafted by the government to avert a succession crisis in the imperial family by allowing reigning empresses. A 1947 law allows only men on the throne, and no woman has reigned in more than 200 years.
The imperial family has not produced a male heir since the 1960s, and public support has been growing for a change in the law to allow Princess Aiko, the daughter and only child of Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako, to ascend the throne.....................
http://news.inq7.net/world/index.php...story_id=64838

Lawmakers rally against government plan to allow women to ascend Imperial Throne
Dozens of conservative lawmakers and their supporters on Wednesday attacked a proposal to let a woman take the Imperial Throne, warning the move would threaten a centuries-old tradition -- and could even allow foreign blood into the Imperial line.
The lawmakers, led by former Trade Minister Takeo Hiranuma, are fighting a law being drafted by the government to avert a succession crisis in the Imperial Family by allowing reigning Empresses. The 1947 Imperial Household Law allows only men on the throne, and no woman has reigned in more than 200 years.
The Imperial Family has not produced a male heir since the 1960s, and public support has been growing for a change in the law to allow Princess Aiko, the daughter and only child of Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako, to ascend the throne.
Hiranuma, however, warned the reform could corrupt the Imperial line, which for centuries has been the supreme symbol of Japanese national and ethnic identity..................................
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/nation...na001000c.html

Old 02-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Aristocracy

Where are the feminists?

Why aren't the women organizing to squash these chauvinists?

I mean I'm sure Princess Aiko won't marry a white man anyway. If she's raised like other members of the Imperial family. I mean none of the Princes married white women. Even the Princesses married Japanese commoners.

Old 02-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Royal Highness

I just read that too, it's disgusting that the most technologically advance country in the planet could also be one of the most difficult to change these chauvinistcic rules. Besides, wasn't the current constitution the handi work of McArthur after WW II? He not only eliminated the nobility but reduced the size of the Imperial Family to just a few people, with Princesses being demoted if they marry commoner husbands. Does the same apply to princely men? No.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:58 PM
Aristocracy

It's disgusting.

I feel so bad for Crown Princess Masako.

I wish the eight former reigning Empresses would crawl out of their graves and smack these folks.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:25 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrinceLorenzo
I feel so bad for Crown Princess Masako.

I wish the eight former reigning Empresses would crawl out of their graves and smack these folks.
Right on! That's the funniest thing I've heard all day (and it's almost midnight where I am).

Aiko will have a hard enough time as it is, just in growing up and performing her duties and responsibilities without people exaggerating and speculating about who she may or may not marry someday.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:54 AM
Courtier

Reading this as a woman I feel hurt and mad
Old 02-02-2006, 03:07 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos614
Right on! That's the funniest thing I've heard all day (and it's almost midnight where I am).

Aiko will have a hard enough time as it is, just in growing up and performing her duties and responsibilities without people exaggerating and speculating about who she may or may not marry someday.
Oh and don't forget that after all she has done for her country, she'll lose her title upon marriage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula**
Reading this as a woman I feel hurt and mad
I'm a man, and I was still hurt! Those men are neanderthals! Also, they claim to be descendants of the Sun Goddes, so the line started with a female!
Old 02-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Opposition grows to Imperial law changes
In what may be another headache for Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi throughout his last regular Diet session before he is scheduled to step down in autumn, opposition is growing toward the proposed government-sponsored bill to revise the Imperial House Law to expand the right of succession to the throne.
Koizumi on Wednesday reiterated his intention to pass the bill, which would allow not only Imperial princesses but also members of the female line of the Imperial family to become monarch, by the end of the current Diet session in June.
"We'll submit it to the Diet and intend to pass it. There won't be shouts and screams during the deliberation. Diet members won't do that as long as they have common sense," Koizumi said of the bill, which is based on the report by his advisory panel.
But there were many excited voices raised against the bill during a rally Wednesday at the Parliamentary Museum, close to the Prime Minister's Office and the Diet.............................
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national...03TDY03002.htm
Old 02-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Aristocracy

My goodness...

I didn't realize how much pains in the neck Shinto priests were...

Why can't they just compromise? Like, let Aiko reign but have her marry one of the former Imperial family members that has Emperor on his father side?
Old 02-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Courtier

I doubt the protests will make much of an effect. The reform of Imperial Law has the majority of the people behind it. I doubt that these politicians would make too much a fuss and put their necks on the line come elections.

I don't see the issue of "diluting the royal blood". Blood is being "diluted" whether or not the Emperor is female or male. When people marry, their children have BOTH their bloods.

I can be almost certain that Aiko will rule as Emperor/Empress when her father passes on.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:00 AM
Aristocracy

Silly

It's silly isn't it?

I hope the next Prime Minister after Prime Minister Koizumi is as open-minded as he is.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Japanese ministers oppose quick moves to female succession
TOKYO -- Senior Japanese cabinet ministers Friday came out against any quick decision to allow female succession to the throne amid a growing conservative campaign against changes in the world's oldest monarchy.
It was the first time ministers openly called for caution on a female succession proposal, which Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi has pledged to submit before the current session of parliament ends on June 18.
"Is this a bill that we must handle rashly...?" Foreign Minister Taro Aso told reporters. "It is necessary to have more debate."...........................
http://news.inq7.net/breaking/index....story_id=65006

Japan minister urges royal debate
Japan's foreign minister has questioned plans to allow female royal succession, the first Cabinet member to do so. Taro Aso called for more debate before a bill proposing to change the Imperial Household Law's succession rules comes before parliament later this year...................
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4676308.stm

Ministers urge caution over revisions to Imperial House Law
Foreign Minister Taro Aso and Finance Minister Sadakazu Tanigaki asked for caution on Friday over any possible revisions to the Imperial House Law that would allow a woman to ascend to the throne.....................
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/nation...na013000c.html

Aso, Tanigaki also balk on female reign
Senior Cabinet ministers Friday joined growing voices within the Liberal Democratic Party expressing concern over a government-sponsored bill to allow females and their descendants to ascend to the Imperial throne.......................But if a reigning empress marries a commoner and their child would be allowed to be an emperor, it would terminate the centuries-old paternal bloodline and the family would eventually become no different from ordinary families, conservative politicians have argued..........................
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0060204a1.html
Old 02-03-2006, 03:01 AM
Aristocracy

Omg...

Why do they have so many excuses?!

It's beyond silly, this whole debacle.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Courtier

People have to understand that Asian cultures are very into conserving traditional values. Now, I don't agree with the bringing the concubines back or with reviving some of the other noble lines, but I have to be open-minded about how the Japanese might view what to do with their own crisis. It's easy to pass judgement as an objective viewer, but each culture has its own constraints and beliefs that make decisions harder to do when you're a member of the culture.

Again, I don't think this protest will be a problem. Polls show time and time again that the majority of the Japanese support the reform. Out of 722 members of the Diet, only about 40 members are protesting. Uneven odds, wouldn't you say?
Old 02-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Head to head: Japan's succession crisis
The only daughter of Japan's Emperor Akihito has married in a ceremony in Tokyo, amid a mounting debate over whether women in Japan should be allowed to ascend the throne.
Princess Sayako married a commoner, Yoshiki Kuroda, so she has lost her royal status and left the imperial family.
Since the emperor's sons have no male children, the future of Japan's royal succession is in doubt.
A government panel recently concluded that Japan should change its laws to allow women to take the throne, though any change will need parliament's approval. The BBC News website invited two readers, from different sides of the debate, to put their cases...............................
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/4426176.stm

Editorial/ An imperial controversy

Prince Tomohito, Emperor Akihito's cousin, has now repeatedly voiced his opinion about the imperial succession. In addition to contributing an essay on the subject to a newsletter published last year by a welfare organization he chairs, the prince gave an interview to a monthly magazine Bungeishunju. The Sankei Shimbun and the magazine it publishes, Seiron, also carried his interviews.
The gist of his comments is that the imperial lineage is precious because it has been passed on through the male bloodline, uninterrupted, since the first Emperor Jinmu. The male lineage, he says, should be maintained by reinstating former male members of the imperial branch families who lost their imperial status after World War II.............................
http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-...602030139.html
Old 02-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Aristocracy

Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlightrhapsody
People have to understand that Asian cultures are very into conserving traditional values. Now, I don't agree with the bringing the concubines back or with reviving some of the other noble lines, but I have to be open-minded about how the Japanese might view what to do with their own crisis. It's easy to pass judgement as an objective viewer, but each culture has its own constraints and beliefs that make decisions harder to do when you're a member of the culture.

Again, I don't think this protest will be a problem. Polls show time and time again that the majority of the Japanese support the reform. Out of 722 members of the Diet, only about 40 members are protesting. Uneven odds, wouldn't you say?
I'm Asian, so I know how it is. And it's time for a change. Traditions and Religion get in the way of Progress.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlightrhapsody
I don't think this protest will be a problem. Polls show time and time again that the majority of the Japanese support the reform. Out of 722 members of the Diet, only about 40 members are protesting. Uneven odds, wouldn't you say?
Thats a relief. Its gr8t if the bill is passed - don't those who oppose the changes have any sympathy for CP Masako whose suffered so much? All the pressure that she's been put through, just becuase they wanted her to have a boy.

Well Princess Aiko is her only child for now - they should deal with it.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Aristocracy

^_^

They should also let Crown Princess Masako do what she does best. Being a diplomat instead of just an egg that would hatch out a Prince.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Opposition growing to female succession in Japan
TOKYO: A strong majority of Japanese back maternal succession to the throne but support has slipped amid a conservative campaign to block the historic change, a poll showed Monday.
Some 63 percent favor letting a woman ascend the throne and putting her children next in line..................
http://www.manilatimes.net/national/...60207opi8.html

Poll: Japanese opposition to female emperor rises sharply
TOKYO -- Public opposition to a female monarch in Japan has shot up sharply since conservative politicians voiced concern about the idea, a poll published Monday showed.
The percentage of people opposed to the idea of a woman on the throne jumped to 21 percent from 6 percent last month, said the respected Nihon Keizai Shimbun newspaper, which carried out the polls...............
http://news.inq7.net/world/index.php...story_id=65334
Old 02-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Koizumi reiterates desire to revise imperial law
Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi reiterated on Tuesday that his government will submit a bill to revise the Imperial House Law during the current regular Diet session in an attempt to pave the way for female monarchs in Japan, Kyodo News reported.
Koizumi's remarks followed the pregnancy of Princess Kiko.........................
http://english.people.com.cn/200602/...08_240868.html

News will dampen bid to revise male-lineage succession system
The announcement that Princess Kiko is with child will likely sap Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi's drive to revise the Imperial House Law to allow females and their descendants to ascend the Chrysanthemum Throne.
Even proponents of the revision bill acknowledged that politicians and academics who believe Koizumi is in too much of a rush to change the law will pick up more supporters. Chief Cabinet Secretary Shinzo Abe told reporters Tuesday after word of Princess Kiko's pregnancy was out that the revision issue must be handled with care......................
http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-...602070569.html

Imperial succession bill may not be submitted: Koizumi hints
.............Koizumi's comments suggest that he is becoming more hesitant about the government's plan to submit the bill to revise the Imperial House Law......................
http://home.kyodo.co.jp/modules/fstS...storyid=228909

Tags
aiko, iha, imperial household agency, japanese imperial family, japanese royal family, princess aiko, princess toshi, succession