The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
So, where is Akishino in all this? As Masako is now moving toward the end of, or has finished, her childbearing years I thought the succession would then be Naruhito, Akishino, Hisahito. If that is the case, why not be grooming Akishino for the Emperor's position and then he could in turn groom his son? This would seem the more humane way to go about part of Hisahito's education as opposed to adoption by Naruhito -- unless Akishino is going to be passed over.

I also question what the article means by "nominal" adoption? Could that mean "when the time comes that Hisahito is old enough, he'll spend part of the day with his Uncle helping/observing his duties and in that way becoming prepared for the role of Emperor?
Regarding the last paragraph of your post, I would think this would be the best thing. IIRC, Crown Prince Phillippe of Belgium spent quite a bit of time observing his Uncle, King Baudoin, at work while he was growing up.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don't know if something is getting lost in the translation or what, but the whole premise of the suggestion sounds bogus. The crown prince and his brother aren't that many years apart in age - it isn't as though we're talking about an age difference like the one between Prince Charles and Prince Edward or anything - so it's unlikely that having Prince Akishino succeed his brother will put off Prince Hisahito's accession for all that long. I mean, it's possible, but it isn't likely. And as you say, Emily, if Prince Akishino is to be the heir to his brother, he'll have to learn the ropes, and in doing so he'll be able to teach his son.

Seems to me there are undercurrents here - rub Princess Masako's nose in the fact that the long awaited boy isn't hers? make sure Princess Aiko knows she's the unimportant one in the family? suggest something so unpalatable to the crown prince that he decides to step down? practise egregious cruelty toward Princess Kiko for reasons unknown? take Prince Akishino down a notch? On the face of it, this suggestion is so ludicrous that there must be something else going on.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Aristocracy

Yes, it would seem a lot is being left out, or left to the reader to try to read between the lines. Would for once these "experts" would come right out and say what they mean!

But the IHA seem to prefer murk to clarity, all the better to cloak their machinations.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanletizia
Expert proposes Prince Hisahito be adopted by crown prince

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/061005/kyodo/d8kida802.html
This can't be legal, no matter how much the IHA wants it, could it?
Old 10-07-2006, 06:28 AM
Royal Highness

All I wonder is when the Emperor is going to step in, his sons and their wives and children are being played like chess pieces by these 'lawmakers'. Can he be allowed to have a 'say' on this?
Old 10-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Aristocracy

I don't see why he wouldn't, after all he is the head of the Imperial House.
But from what I can see there isn't much communication between him and his sons. Maybe he is a hands off kind of parent, like Queen Elizabeth II is.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC
I don't see why he wouldn't, after all he is the head of the Imperial House.
But from what I can see there isn't much communication between him and his sons. Maybe he is a hands off kind of parent, like Queen Elizabeth II is.
I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. I think Akhito may have learned a lesson about lack of communication from Naruhito's public complaint about Masako's treatment. Not to keep beating a dead horse, but re-reading the birthday interviews, while I know they are scripted for the press, does show the family to be more humane, in touch and communicative than official images portray. The number of times they get together for lunch with each other - or as the one item mentioned, that they had dinner and watched fireflies this summer - suggests some level of communication. Michiko consistently comes across as a very thought-filled woman. My hope is that they are more on top of the "adoption" and other succession issues than we realize.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. I think Akhito may have learned a lesson about lack of communication from Naruhito's public complaint about Masako's treatment. Not to keep beating a dead horse, but re-reading the birthday interviews, while I know they are scripted for the press, does show the family to be more humane, in touch and communicative than official images portray. The number of times they get together for lunch with each other - or as the one item mentioned, that they had dinner and watched fireflies this summer - suggests some level of communication. Michiko consistently comes across as a very thought-filled woman. My hope is that they are more on top of the "adoption" and other succession issues than we realize.
I hope so too...i don't about the idea of adoption it will only put off a future crises. I hope that the government etc continue debate the succession issue more before coming up with a final decision and I HOPE that the Imperial Royal Family are happy and united whatever the final decision.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:21 AM
Aristocracy

Well in fairness, I read the article and the guy mentioned a "nominal adoption." Which would suggest perhaps an adoption in name only, where the boy would still be raised by his biological parents. But regarded as legally the Crown Prince's son so that he can be trained from an early age to be the future emperor. It doesn't sound like he's trying to take the little boy away from his real family.

He does say that later on they will have to change the rules so a female can succeed. So this isn't some jerk who is trying to be mean. He's just trying to suggest a realistic way where the young Prince can be trained for his position rather then being not prepared at all.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Since the young prince's father is the next in line after the Crown Prince, he must also be being trained to take over the job; if that's the case, he'd be just as able as his brother to train his son.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Serene Highness

Excactly! The emperor and the empress must always have known, that both their sons could become emperor one day, so both sons must have been raised to know what's expected from them. Right?
Old 10-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

I should think so, especially after neither of the princes had produced sons by the time they were in their late 30s. Even if Prince Akishino hadn't been getting any training because they thought Princess Aiko might inherit, there's time to train him now and it's going to be a while before his son is old enough to start training.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Serene Highness

Naruhito and Fumihito are likely to both have been raised to be future emperors. Even if Naruhito was the oldest and therefor the heir appearent, anything can happen. What if Naruhito ended up in an accident or got a terminal disease? So Fumihito also needed to be raised to become emperor.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

LEAD: Lawmakers form league to preserve male-line imperial succession

A group of Japanese parliamentarians launched a nonpartisan league Tuesday to push to maintain Japan's traditional imperial succession rules allowing only males to ascend the throne. "How can we comfortably keep the imperial system, whose line of emperors has been unbroken for ages, for good? I believe it is our responsibility to bring our wisdom together to open the way for its future," said Yoshinobu Shimamura, a member of the governing Liberal Democratic Party and former farm minister, who heads the new group..............
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/061017/kyodo/d8kq76mg0.html
Old 10-17-2006, 10:19 AM
Courtier

In the Japense monarchy a woman can't be head of state she must take care of her children and the home while only a man can be head of state they feel a woman should have no part in politics or government it has been that way for millions of years beening that Japan is the world's oldest monarchy.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 11-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Commoner

Quote:
In the Japense monarchy a woman can't be head of state she must take care of her children and the home while only a man can be head of state they feel a woman should have no part in politics or government it has been that way for millions of years beening that Japan is the world's oldest monarchy.
Corrections it has been that way for thousands of years not millions. Secondly women at one time were allowed to rule but one of the Emperors (I don't know which one) changed the laws so only males could inherit. Women can and should be head of state,
Old 11-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Aristocracy

Its was " Emperor Meiji" Period that women not allowed be Emperor.That only male can be Emperor.

Ropura
Old 11-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Night Stalker
Corrections it has been that way for thousands of years not millions. Secondly women at one time were allowed to rule but one of the Emperors (I don't know which one) changed the laws so only males could inherit. Women can and should be head of state,
In myth they say that the Japense monarcy had been found in 745 B.C so if that is true it is more than a million years old and that is in the past we are talling about the present.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 11-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Star
In myth they say that the Japense monarcy had been found in 745 B.C so if that is true it is more than a million years old and that is in the past we are talling about the present.
Well, it looks like they would be a little more than 2,000 years old (not 1 million) using those figure and if I have the math correct.

Anyone want to check?
Old 11-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Serene Highness

ok

here's something from the International Herald Tribune. They did an interesting article about Japanese Monarchy and they did a little history too...

"...According to Japanese myth, the first emperor, Jimmu, a descendant of the sun goddess Amaterasu, reigned 2,665 years ago; historians, though, trace the start of Japan's imperial system to the fourth or fifth century..."

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/12/26/news/japan.php

and Time Asia had something to say about the monarchy's 2,666 year old imperial history also:

http://www.time.com/time/asia/covers.../timeline.html

Tags
aiko, iha, imperial household agency, japanese imperial family, japanese royal family, princess aiko, princess toshi, succession