The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Land of the rising daughter

For the first time in centuries a girl stands to inherit the Japanese throne. But a female succession would spell the end of the line for the monarchy. And the crisis has led to a power play behind the scenes, involving a troubled princess, a murdered diplomat and a surprising new contender for the crown.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...6861_1,00.html
Thanks for the link i bought the times today and read the article. According to that there seems to be alot more behind the sucession crises then we first thought.

I thought that this comment was very sinister (if it is true what the professor says).

“This was a deliberate strategy by the Imperial family,” said Professor Hatta Ikuhiko, Japan’s pre-eminent historian of the modern dynasty. “I have heard that Princess Akishino [Kiko] consulted doctors, and that new medical technology allows for a 70% probability of a boy. We expect rumours to that effect to be spread by the household this summer.”

Good to see PM out and about and smiling.

Old 06-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

New medical technology allows for a virtual certainty of a boy, especially if the mother is prepared to undergo abortion of female foetuses until a male one is conceived (I'm not saying that Princess Kiko necessarily did that, but we don't know). There are also ways to test blastocysts for gender before implantation during IVF. I'd be highly surprised if she's carrying a girl. That Times article shows very well what's at stake: it isn't just the continuation of a male monarchy so that the imperial Y chromosome isn't lost, it's the whole issue of Japan's self image and position in Asia.

If the reactionary group, which appears to be well represented in the IHA, can marginalise the Crown Prince and especially his wife and daughter and push the apparently more malleable and conservative Akishinos into the limelight as parents of the future emperor, they have a good chance of working with conservative politicians to help reshape Japanese culture into something more nationalistic and belligerent. Apparently some of them haven't got over the defeat in WW2 as well as most Germans.

Old 06-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Royal Highness

This just gets worse and worse....
Old 06-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amina
Thanks for the link i bought the times today and read the article. According to that there seems to be alot more behind the sucession crises then we first thought.

Good to see PM out and about and smiling.
I find it so sad for Crown Prince Naruhito, Princess Masako and their daughter. They seem a genuine and loving family and I hope it all works out as they want. :)
Old 06-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Serene Highness

Talk about living in the dark ages where oftentimes women were just pawns of larger political games.....how sinister and scary this is. I so wish Naruhito would just opt out of the whole charade, call it for what it is and get on with a happy and meaningful life with his wife and daughter. I will be very surprised is Kiko is not having a boy -- look at the way the whole Akishino family is being trotted out and given good PR these days -- the handwriting is on the wall.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:04 PM
Gentry

My heart goes out to Masako and Naruhito. Whether there truly is a conspiracy or not, I can just imagine the kind of claustrophobia they have to live with. Aiko gets caught up in this mess not by her choice but by birth and if Kiko does have a son, then it can be a good thing for Aiko. Maybe she can live a more "saner" and "normal" life--a life that is not controlled by other people but determined by the choices she makes. Of course, i would still like to see Aiko be Empress someday; it's time IHA realizes they are not living in feudal Japan anymore.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Scary article about the japanese succession, from the times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...196861,00.html
Old 06-07-2006, 12:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

That article has been discussed in the Princess Aiko thread too. Just goes to show how complicated things are over there, with politics being very heavily involved as well as family issues.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:42 PM

I think that Her Impreial Highness Princess Aiko will make a great Empress of Japan.
Regardless who is born first either male of female they should be allowed to assume the throne. Here are two examples of two European Royal Families that had the laws changed in order for females to assume the throne. In Sweden Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Victoria will be the first female sovereign in almost 300 years. The Swedish Paliament decided thatt the first born, female or male should be granted the crown. Queen Margrethe II of Denmark was given the crown because her father His Royal Highness The late King Frederik IX had asked if the law could be changed to allow his daughter to assume the throne since he does not have any male heir to the Danish Throne.
I am sure that Her Imperial Highness Princess Aiko will be Empress of Japan in the future.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Ralph, did you read that article in Marengo's post? That suggested to me that it would be very unlikely that Aiko would become empress; I'm afraid that if she does, she'll be married off to some imperial descendent in order to produce a son from the imperial line, and as soon as he turns 18 there'll be pressure on her to do what her female predecessors did and abdicate in his favour.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Welcome to the forums, by the way! Just noticed your join date.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Japan's next emperor must seek new role
Emperor Akihito's father was a wartime symbol of nationalism who became, after 1945, an emblem of defeated Japan's embrace of democracy. Akihito himself has spent nearly two decades trying to soothe the wounds of war.................

But his elder son, Crown Prince Naruhito, risks becoming a symbol of modern monarchical angst unless he can find a new raison d'etre when he finally succeeds his father. "Of all the symbolic monarchies ... none is more restricted than the Japanese. The limits around their role are so strict that it raises the question, 'What are these people supposed to do?'," said Kenneth Ruoff, author of a book recounting the transformation of Akihito's father, Hirohito, from a deity in whose name soldiers fought and died into a symbol of democracy...................
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060608/3/2lmp5.html
Old 06-08-2006, 04:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Ralph, did you read that article in Marengo's post? That suggested to me that it would be very unlikely that Aiko would become empress; I'm afraid that if she does, she'll be married off to some imperial descendent in order to produce a son from the imperial line, and as soon as he turns 18 there'll be pressure on her to do what her female predecessors did and abdicate in his favour.
I guess it all depends on the moment that the Crwon Prince becomes Emperor. I read the articles whose links were posted up-thread about the way the IHA works and it seemed to me that the emperor has quite the power within his family and the agency.

I don't believe for a moment that someone can stop the emperor from picking up a phone. Maybe it simply is not done and he uses other channels of communication like ordering a minion to do the call for him but I'm convinced if the emperor wants to contact somebody, he does.

As for the Imperial family - well, here I think the emperor is the one to set the rules. This emperor is obviously quite conservative and does not want his daughter-in-law to perform the public duties she would have been perfect for. He obviously believes that his family's obeisance is his due and that Masako did not fulfill her duties when her only child is a girl.

I doubt, too, that he wants a girl as his son's successor - so as soon as Kiko became pregnant, he probably started hoping for a grand-son.

But - as soon as Naruhito becomes emperor, he is the one the IHA has to obey. He will be the one the government will consult. He can change things, I'm sure about it, it he has the character to do so. There are surely more modern men in the IHA who see a chance of a career on supporting the Crown Prince. There always are people like that.

My impression at the moment is that prince Naruhito bides his time and waits for the moment he will get the power. He dares openly protect his wife and daughter (and the rumours died down after that) but apart from that I think both Crown Prince and Princess know that they can't do anything without hurting too many people. So they simply wait.

As for the princess not seeing her parents so often: if I was the daughter of a deeply conservative father and unhappy with my traditional role as wife of the Crown Prince - would I want to have close contact with parents who probably support the system and not me? I don't think so. That's my interpretation but I simply don't believe the princess can't call people she wants to call - problem is: does she have friends she can rely on?
Old 06-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Serene Highness

i think in their feeble old minds the evil IHA does still live in feudal Japan.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Apparently some of them haven't got over the defeat in WW2 as well as most Germans.
Sorry? Could you please explain that? As you are one of the mods/admins I guess you didn't mean "as well as" as in "like most Germans" but as in "as sucessful as most Germans", but would be glad if you could make your meaning clearer :) . Thank you very much in advance, Jo the German.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Aristocracy

I wish Princess Takamatsu was still alive. She'd eat the IHA and these other politician for breakfast.

She was also the first member of the Imperial Family to support Aiko's succession to the throne. She also made references to Queen Elizabeth I and Queen Victoria about the roles of female monarchs.

It was amazing too, because she was from the old days, yet she was very modern.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph_raphael
I think that Her Impreial Highness Princess Aiko will make a great Empress of Japan.
Queen Margrethe II of Denmark was given the crown because her father His Royal Highness The late King Frederik IX had asked if the law could be changed to allow his daughter to assume the throne since he does not have any male heir to the Danish Throne.
I am sure that Her Imperial Highness Princess Aiko will be Empress of Japan in the future.
Actually this isnt true. Frederik respected his mother and brother so much so he didnt want the law to be changed. The reason why it was changed was that the women in Denmark got the right to vote in the early 1900´s and therefore people was thinking of that the kings children also should get equal right to inherit the throne. It didnt quite turn out that way because a boy still are getting before a girl in the danish succesion. (they are going to change this now)
Old 06-12-2006, 08:32 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrinceLorenzo
The problem is they have no titles. They need the titles. 'Coz in Japan, the female MUST join the male's family.

So if the male is a commoner, she will become a commoner.

From what i've read on these forums they are thinking of changing that rule..
Old 06-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I'm going to state the obvious but the main problem here is the IHA - those faceless men ruining the lives of most of the women in the Imperial household. Controlling every aspect it seems to me of what the members of that household do or say. VERY SINISTER.

Until the royal family are free of the IHA - these problems will continue.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
I guess it all depends on the moment that the Crwon Prince becomes Emperor. I read the articles whose links were posted up-thread about the way the IHA works and it seemed to me that the emperor has quite the power within his family and the agency.

I don't believe for a moment that someone can stop the emperor from picking up a phone. Maybe it simply is not done and he uses other channels of communication like ordering a minion to do the call for him but I'm convinced if the emperor wants to contact somebody, he does.

As for the Imperial family - well, here I think the emperor is the one to set the rules. This emperor is obviously quite conservative and does not want his daughter-in-law to perform the public duties she would have been perfect for. He obviously believes that his family's obeisance is his due and that Masako did not fulfill her duties when her only child is a girl.

But - as soon as Naruhito becomes emperor, he is the one the IHA has to obey. He will be the one the government will consult. He can change things, I'm sure about it, it he has the character to do so. There are surely more modern men in the IHA who see a chance of a career on supporting the Crown Prince. There always are people like that.

My impression at the moment is that prince Naruhito bides his time and waits for the moment he will get the power. He dares openly protect his wife and daughter (and the rumours died down after that) but apart from that I think both Crown Prince and Princess know that they can't do anything without hurting too many people. So they simply wait.
Good observation - your comments have given me hope for an inventual change.

Tags
aiko, iha, imperial household agency, japanese imperial family, japanese royal family, princess aiko, princess toshi, succession