Succession and Membership Issues

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It’s a little more complicated than that. At the end of WWII, the US created the IHA and drew up the Japanese constitution that provided for an elected government.

The Emperor remained as symbolic head of state to provide a source of unity for the people while the elected government held the authority/power. The IHA was charged with the affairs of the Imperial Family so that the emperor would never again have the power nor the money to engage in warfare.

With the new constitution, entire branches of the Imperial family were reduced to commoners an effort to reduce the size of the Imperial Family. The constitution recognized dynastic male primogeniture and princesses that married commoners lost their titles.

I understand that WWII was a tough time, I really do. My grandparents have told me horror stories about it. The Imperial Family today, however, are different people and could never engage in warfare since they are so oppressed by the IHA. Many royals of other countries are symbolic heads of state and do not hold any significant politcal power, but they aren't as strictly controlled as the Japanese Imperial family are. As the times change, so should the rules and policies. I'm Korean and my family is all about tradition. It's good to keep tradition but not when it's causing so many people misery. In this day and age with all this knowledge we have of gentics, the IHA should know it's not Masako's fault she didn't deliver a boy! Maybe Masako is glad that there is a way out for her daughter. But the whole thing IMO is about principle. I find this whole situation just plain wrong.

Hey

Mandy said:
It’s a little more complicated than that. At the end of WWII, the US created the IHA and drew up the Japanese constitution that provided for an elected government.

The Emperor remained as symbolic head of state to provide a source of unity for the people while the elected government held the authority/power. The IHA was charged with the affairs of the Imperial Family so that the emperor would never again have the power nor the money to engage in warfare.

With the new constitution, entire branches of the Imperial family were reduced to commoners an effort to reduce the size of the Imperial Family. The constitution recognized dynastic male primogeniture and princesses that married commoners lost their titles.

Thanks Mandy, I didn't know that it was the U.S. that established the evil IHA.

Koizumi's reform push loses footing amid whispers of a lame duck premiership
......................A downcast Koizumi alluded to his woes in an ancient haiku recited for reporters Friday, the same day he shelved a cherished bill to let women ascend the Imperial Throne: "Even though the plum tree's blooming, and the warbler's chirping, it is very lonely."
In the past week alone, Koizumi not only backed down on that legislation, which may have helped avert a succession crisis in the Imperial Family, he all but abandoned another cornerstone project to upgrade Japan's Defense Agency to a full-blown ministry....................
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20060214p2a00m0na026000c.html

Japan emperor descendant defends male succession
TOKYO - With the blood of an emperor flowing through his veins, Tsuneyasu Takeda has been making waves by suggesting distant royal relatives should be ready to help preserve Japan’s tradition of male imperial succession.
But Takeda, a bespectacled 30-year-old bachelor, said on Thursday that he’d find it daunting if asked to play that role himself.
Plans to revise the succession law to let women and their children inherit the throne have been put on hold following news that Princess Kiko, 39, the wife of Emperor Akihito’s second son, was pregnant, raising hopes that a male heir might be born.
No male has been born into the imperial family since the birth of Kiko’s husband, Akishino, in 1965. Crown Prince Naruhito, 45, and Crown Princess Masako, 42, have a 4-year-old daughter, Aiko, while Kiko and Akishino have two daughters...............................
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle.asp?xfile=data/theworld/2006/February/theworld_February467.xml&section=theworld&col=

#1-3: Tsuneyasu Takeda, a member of one of the 11 former princely houses that were abolished after Japan's defeat in World War Two, speaks during an interview with Reuters in Tokyo February 16, 2006. With the blood of an emperor flowing through his veins, Takeda has been making waves by suggesting distant royal relatives should be ready to help preserve Japan's tradition of male imperial succession. REUTERS/Toru Hanai

Attachments

• r2793685677.jpg
    r2793685677.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 250
  • ra2325722512.jpg
    ra2325722512.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 267
  • r2145809913.jpg
    r2145809913.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
if this new baby is a boy, will be the crown's heir?

If Kiko delivers a son, the line of succession will be Naruhito, Akishino and then the baby boy. Naruhito will not be replaced by Akishino just because the baby is a boy. He will be replaced by Akishino upon his death and then when Akishino passes on, his son will become the emperor.

Emily said:
If Kiko delivers a son, the line of succession will be Naruhito, Akishino and then the baby boy. Naruhito will not be replaced by Akishino just because the baby is a boy. He will be replaced by Akishino upon his death and then when Akishino passes on, his son will become the emperor.
so, if the baby is boy aiko never will be empress, but if the baby is girl the reform continue.

Public support for female monarch waning in Japan--poll
TOKYO -- A majority of Japanese support allowing a woman on Japan's imperial throne, but that support has fallen sharply after a royal pregnancy announced earlier this month raised the possibility of a new male heir, a poll said Tuesday.
About 66 percent of respondents to a poll published Tuesday by the daily Asahi Shimbun said they would support a change in the law to allow a female monarch, down from 78 percent who approved in a poll taken in November last year.....................
http://news.inq7.net/world/index.php?index=1&story_id=66975

Mandyy -- thanks for the post -- but, "ugh"!

corazon said:
so, if the baby is boy aiko never will be empress, but if the baby is girl the reform continue.

I think that would be one possibility among others. There seems to be such resistance to having an Empress that I'm not quite sure what would happen.

And, yes, Crownprincelorenzo, I'm trying to be polite!

Even if Princess Kiko has a healthy son who can succeed his uncle and father, the "problem" will not go away. I'd say it will just put on the shelf for a number of years. The "female only offspring" scenario may occur again. Then what? Another succession crisis? :confused:

I really hope this law gets changed.

Everybody is circling the Crown Princes and their daugther like hungry sharks! Even their own blood relatives like Mr. Tsuneyasu Takeda. Reminds me of that old say "heavy is the crown of the one who wears it"

I'm sorry if this question has been asked, but will Aiko undergo empress training anyway, or would that be a waste of time and resources?

Hey

Aiko will not go under Empress training unless she is allowed to rule. The Prime Minister was rushing the change because she is now at the age where future Emperors are trained.

LDP starts study panel on imperial succession issue
(Kyodo) _ A panel of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party held its first meeting on the imperial succession issue Thursday, with many participants questioning a government panel's proposal to revise a law to allow females and their descendants to ascend Japan's imperial throne.
The study panel met for the first time following news earlier in the month that Princess Kiko, the wife of Emperor Akihito's younger son Prince Akishino, is pregnant, which has raised the possibility of the imperial family having its first male heir since 1965..................................
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060223/kyodo/d8fuqq0g4.html

Support for female emperors declines
Although 66 percent of voters would accept legal changes to allow female emperors, 60 percent also thought the government acted appropriately by delaying legislation for such a change, an Asahi Shimbun survey showed. The telephone poll, in which 1,979 randomly selected voters from around the country gave valid answers over the weekend, also showed that 60 percent accepted the idea of children of female emperors ascending the Chrysanthemum throne........................
http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200602220196.html

Last edited:
64% support child of female monarch to reign, down 7.8 points
The percentage of Japanese people who support allowing a child of a female monarch to ascend the imperial throne for the first time in Japanese history fell 7.8 percentage points from the previous survey in December to 64 percent, following news that Princess Kiko, the wife of Emperor Akihito's second son, is pregnant, a Kyodo News survey showed Monday.
On the order of succession, 43.6 percent said that males should be given priority over females, up 1.4 points, exceeding the 38.9 percent who said the emperor's firstborn child should be given priority regardless of gender, down 4.4 points................................
http://home.kyodo.co.jp/modules/fstStory/index.php?storyid=232482

Woah

Interesting.

More male respondents are in favor of female monarchs than female respondents... That is odd...

LEAD: 10,000 people rally to preserve male-line imperial succession
Some 10,000 people, including 86 lawmakers and academics, staged a rally Tuesday to oppose a proposal to allow women and their descendants to ascend to Japan's imperial throne, citing the importance of preserving the tradition of the world's oldest hereditary monarchy.
"The government has shelved submitting the proposal to the current Diet session, but its basic stance hasn't changed...We need to form a thoughtful and sound public opinion toward supporting the male-line succession," Toru Miyoshi, former chief justice, said at the Nippon Budokan hall in Tokyo's Chiyoda Ward. Among lawmakers participating in the rally was conservative House of Representatives member Takeo Hiranuma............................
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060307/kyodo/d8g6nabo1.html

Lawmakers rally against government plan to allow women on Imperial Throne
Thousands of people, including dozens of conservative lawmakers, gathered Tuesday at the Budokan in Tokyo to protest a government proposal to allow women to ascend the Imperial Throne, saying no changes should be made to the world's oldest monarchy.
More than 70 lawmakers and aides, led by former Trade Minister Takeo Hiranuma, urged about 10,000 people at the Budokan to help rally opposition to the government move to allow reigning Empresses to avert an Imperial succession crisis. The 1947 Imperial House Law only allows men on the throne.
Hiranuma said the Imperial Family "is the treasure of the Japanese race" and its male-only tradition must be preserved.....................
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20060307p2a00m0na036000c.html

Below from AP
The file image of Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko is shown on a screen as people wait for the start of a rally organized by conservative lawmakers and academics to protest a government proposal to allow women to ascend Japan's imperial throne at the Budokan martial arts arena in Tokyo Tuesday, March 7, 2006. More than 70 lawmakers and their aides urged 10,000 people to help rally opposition to the government move to allow reigning empresses to avert an imperial succession crisis, saying no changes should be made to the world's oldest monarchy.

Last edited:
May Aiko one day be Japan's rightful & Imperial sovereign.

"MII"

"UGH" is the right expression for this.

10,000 people don't sound a lot.... I'm not sure whether the Japanese people attend rallies as a rule, but Metro Tokyo's population is over 12 million! Maybe 10,000 is quite a force, if you consider the influence and clout of these people.

I thought things have been "quiet" there, with the announcement of Princess Kiko's pregnancy.

I saw the news coverage of the rally....one thing strike me from the start - that those people at the rally are all old and the speakers equally old. Most of them men too.

This shows you something huh? Even though i respect the conversative cultures and ideas of Japan, I feel that it's time they bring themselves up to speed with today's culture.

To Japanese Nationalists, Only the Y Chromosome Counts
IT was one of the biggest rallies in support of Japan's imperial system since the end of World War II: Some 10,300 men and women gathered at the Budokan martial arts arena to protest a proposal that would let women become empresses and pass along title to the Chrysanthemum Throne. At the end, the throng stood and raised their arms in unison while shouting, "Long live the emperor!"
What could possibly stir so much passion about monarchy in the 21st century?.....................
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/12/weekinreview/12onishi.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

The site includes a audio slideshow
Below are photos from the slideshow provided by the New York Times

Last edited:
Thank you, mandyy, for the link!

This makes my blood boil ......:mad:

To put things somewhat in perspective, 10,300 people in Tokyo is not a lot of people. During the New Year observances when people visit shrines to hope for a good year. The Meiji Shrine in Tokyo has 1,000,000 people visit in one day! ( It's a huge shrine, I think the biggest in Tokyo) And for New Year people visit shrines either Jan 1st, 2nd or 3rd, so huge numbers of different people go on different days. These 10,300 people represent the extreme conservative fringe of Japanese society. Not a lot in a city of 12 million people.

Back
Top Bottom