The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 04-05-2017, 05:06 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Don't they both speak English ? I imagine the interpreter is there just as a backup.
I think English is the language. Maximia didn't have an interpreter around, so either Letizia's english is bad or the Empress has problems hearing
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...OBER_29_CH.jpg

Either way, Letizia made an impatient or frustrated gestrure because Michiko didn't understand what she was saying.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-05-2017, 05:27 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lalala, Spain
Posts: 386
They are speaking in English, you can hear it in the video. I've watched the whole video and I can't see anything about Letizia being frustrated because Michiko doesn't understand her. It seems to me she's just making a gesture (she looks anything but frustrated) while talking, something she does a lot in speeches and in one on one conversation. Michiko and Letizia are conversing all the time among themselves without any help. I imagine the translator/assistant with the King and the Emperor is there because Felipe's English is also bad...
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04-05-2017, 05:28 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 4,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Don't they both speak English ? I imagine the interpreter is there just as a backup.
Yes all four of them speak English though I believe that Letizia is the newest speaker of the group.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 04-05-2017, 05:33 PM
ANNIE_S's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: -, Spain
Posts: 3,692
There was also an interpreter between the king and the emperor. None of them, the man with the men and the lady with the women, seem to have uttered a word during the meeting. I'm guessing they only were there to assist if needed, but everything seems quite ok.

Also I don't think any impatient gesture from Letizia, just her usual gesticulating self. They (Empress and Queen) were talking about food Well, it's a recurrent topic in every social status I guess

Felipe and Naruhito were talking about the cancelled visit last year and how fortunately they have rescheduled it very fast.
__________________
Palaces are not the ones that dignify kings; kings are the ones who honor them with their presence.
Isabel, ep. 26

Vote in TRF Fashion Polls!


Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-05-2017, 06:01 PM
Tilia C.'s Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: O, Germany
Posts: 5,356
Now I see that I complained prematurely about the lack of photos. The interesting ones only came out later. Thanks to everybody for posting them.
Princess Mako and Kako don't yest seem to be completely at ease at such formal events. Or maybe that's only these particular pics.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-05-2017, 08:44 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: skokie, United States
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaC View Post
They are speaking in English, you can hear it in the video. I've watched the whole video and I can't see anything about Letizia being frustrated because Michiko doesn't understand her. It seems to me she's just making a gesture (she looks anything but frustrated) while talking, something she does a lot in speeches and in one on one conversation. Michiko and Letizia are conversing all the time among themselves without any help. I imagine the translator/assistant with the King and the Emperor is there because Felipe's English is also bad...
I didn't hear or see anything conflictive between the two Royal Ladies.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 04-05-2017, 10:19 PM
Alisa's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
When you looked at the passage of all guests, Japanese and Spanish, to be presented to the imperial- and royal couples, Letizia was by far "the most nude" of all attendees. By far. And that is surprising. One would expect that from a Gunilla von Bismarck in Marbella, not so from the Queen of Spain in Tokyo. But as usual, opinions will always differ on appearances.
I found her dress to be in very bad taste especially given the well known conservativism Imperial court. I am quite surprised by her dress. I expected a more demure and covered evening dress that she has previously worn.
__________________
Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt. ---Phaedrus
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-06-2017, 12:21 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 29,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Has the Queen Problems by shaking Hands ? She wore the 2 Bracelets at the left arm.
She wanted this time wear two bracelets in one arm and not one bracelet in both. Why should there be a problem? She liked the bracelets like this this time. I don't understand why there should be a problem even though she would have had five bracelets in one arm.

Letizia is making gestures during the whole conversation, she uses her hands like she always does. Which one of the gestures shows that she is frustrated? I didn't see it at all.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 04-06-2017, 01:49 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,523
I see Letizia being annoyed at 0:38 because her conversation is going nowhere.
I also agree with Al bina that it was strange/bad taste to rush before the Empress at the entrance to the dinner.

But we all perceive things differently and that's the beauty of this forum.

El brindis 'interruptus' de Letizia en Japˇn: no bebe ni se moja los labios | loc | EL MUNDO

what I also find ricidulous is at each high profile event, when there is a toast that there attention drawn to Letizia and the fact that she doesn't drink or toast while everybody else is doing it, it comes across as disruptive or rude, so why is it not possible when it is a known fact, to fill her glass with water or whatever she wants to drink so the procedure can go ahead including everyone?
There is so much written about protocol and things being arranged to the last and smallest detail and this is not possible?
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-06-2017, 02:20 AM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 20,961
But making a toast with water is brings bad luck or even death to yourself and on your host. The superstition comes from the ancient Greeks. The dead would always drink from the River Lethe in the depths of the underworld, in order to forget their past lives. As a result of this story, the Greeks would always toast to the dead with glasses filled with water.

I don't think the queen of Spain is attracting any attention to herself. And we can hardly find fault in somebody for not drinking alcohol.
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 04-06-2017, 02:27 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
But making a toast with water is brings bad luck or even death to yourself and on your host. The superstition comes from the ancient Greeks. The dead would always drink from the River Lethe in the depths of the underworld, in order to forget their past lives. As a result of this story, the Greeks would always toast to the dead with glasses filled with water.

I don't think the queen of Spain is attracting any attention to herself. And we can hardly find fault in somebody for not drinking alcohol.
Its usually being discussed at lengths in the spanish press, I don't understand why it is not possible to serve her something non-alcoholic, it's 2017 and perfectly ok not to drink alcohol.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-06-2017, 02:38 AM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 19,447
Working breakfast with Japanese entrepreneurs with interests in Spain

@CasaReal
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8sR3bYV0AAef2z.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8sR3bZUMAAVI2e.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8sR3ciUwAAvaQU.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8sR3bYVwAEjMbF.jpg

Meeting with the Bilateral Committee for Business Cooperation Spain-Japan

@CasaReal
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8sVnHUVwAIXRj6.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8sVnTvUMAAtOKi.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8sVnW9UIAAtMdJ.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8sVnaGUMAAyDdW.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8shDGNVwAA-Iu1.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8shDGJV0AEZLzS.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8shDGIVYAAvKUA.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8shDGIVYAEZL_8.jpg

King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia Visit Japan - Day 2 - Pictures
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/K...rmZuC9PJZl.jpg
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/K...fH5liKe0al.jpg
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/K...uzmQntHKul.jpg

Belga Image

Queen Letizia visits Keio University and the Genetic Medical Center to know the treatments for cancer and rare diseases

@CasaReal

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8tO_oIU0AE321z.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8tO_oJU0AU6qep.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8tO_oJUAAE0LiN.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8tO_oJV0AEAYz6.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8tPbx4UMAIaP4V.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8tPbx1VoAMCMTL.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8tPbyOUIAAyV9W.jpg







Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-06-2017, 03:15 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 9,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaC View Post
[....] I imagine the translator/assistant with the King and the Emperor is there because Felipe's English is also bad...
Impossible that Don Felipe's English is "also bad".

In 1984 and 1985 he was at Lakefield College in Toronto (Canada) and from 1993 to 1995 he was at the Edmund Walsh School for Foreign Services, part of the Georgetown University in Washington D.C. (USA). Meaning: five years of his life, on a formative age, the King has spent in English-speaking countries and English-speaking schools.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 04-06-2017, 08:02 AM
ANNIE_S's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: -, Spain
Posts: 3,692
Meeting with Japan's Prime Minister, Shinzo Abe, at Akasana Palace:

@CasaReal

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8uSO96U0AEeWll.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8uSO-AU0AENugU.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8uSO-dU0AAmB0i.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8uT7-3VoAQKFI4.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8uT75rV0AAjm1w.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8uT78yVwAAK3oD.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8uT77_VYAIWWXf.jpg
__________________
Palaces are not the ones that dignify kings; kings are the ones who honor them with their presence.
Isabel, ep. 26

Vote in TRF Fashion Polls!


Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 04-06-2017, 10:37 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: skokie, United States
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I see Letizia being annoyed at 0:38 because her conversation is going nowhere.
I also agree with Al bina that it was strange/bad taste to rush before the Empress at the entrance to the dinner.

But we all perceive things differently and that's the beauty of this forum.

El brindis 'interruptus' de Letizia en Japˇn: no bebe ni se moja los labios | loc | EL MUNDO

what I also find ricidulous is at each high profile event, when there is a toast that there attention drawn to Letizia and the fact that she doesn't drink or toast while everybody else is doing it, it comes across as disruptive or rude, so why is it not possible when it is a known fact, to fill her glass with water or whatever she wants to drink so the procedure can go ahead including everyone?
There is so much written about protocol and things being arranged to the last and smallest detail and this is not possible?

I don't understand the constant criticism to Queen Letizia. I know this is a forum for discussion; It is absurd, The dress, rushing past the Japanese monarch??, the toast.....Please.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 04-06-2017, 10:50 AM
Nico's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia garcia roch View Post
I don't understand the constant criticism to Queen Letizia. I know this is a forum for discussion, it is absurd, The dress, rushing past the Japanese monarch??, the toast.....Please.
Yes i agree. There's an obvious attempt to find any possible, and ridiculous, reason to criticize her.
I don't understand, really
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 04-06-2017, 11:01 AM
Blog Real's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 3,265
I also do not understand the criticisms of Letizia. She has never done anything serious since she married, but people continue to criticize her for everything and nothing, always something to point out. But she's doing very well on this visit.
__________________
My blogs about monarchies
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 04-06-2017, 11:06 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lalala, Spain
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Impossible that Don Felipe's English is "also bad".

In 1984 and 1985 he was at Lakefield College in Toronto (Canada) and from 1993 to 1995 he was at the Edmund Walsh School for Foreign Services, part of the Georgetown University in Washington D.C. (USA). Meaning: five years of his life, on a formative age, the King has spent in English-speaking countries and English-speaking schools.
I was being ironic, I know King Felipe speaks English, Queen Sofia spoke with her parents in English and she spoke to her own children in English since they were babies (she didn't speak enough Spanish)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Its usually being discussed at lengths in the spanish press, I don't understand why it is not possible to serve her something non-alcoholic, it's 2017 and perfectly ok not to drink alcohol.
It was discussed in the trashy press a few years ago, they realized she never drinks wine or champagne and even they moved on. Someone even speculated that she could be allergic to grapes. It's not a big deal and the criticism here is getting ridiculous. (Rushing past the Empress because her seat was further away? Was she supposed to stand on the wrong place and let the Empress go before her?)
It's actually perfectly acceptable to raise the glass during a toast and not drink (something that I've seen Queen Elizabeth do at official events, I guess she's also trying to draw attention to herself, or perhaps that's only when Queen Letizia does it), what's not acceptable in most places, protocol-wise, is to toast without alcohol.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 04-06-2017, 02:04 PM
ANNIE_S's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: -, Spain
Posts: 3,692
Videos from the meeting with the PM and dinner today:





I see King Felipe has enphasized more than once how grateful they and the Spanish Government are because the cancelled trip last year was so quickly rescheduled and the fact that they have keep the same dates so they can visit Japan during the cherry trees blossom season. Also that there was an special interest on visiting Japan before any other Asian country from government and Casa Real's part.
__________________

__________________
Palaces are not the ones that dignify kings; kings are the ones who honor them with their presence.
Isabel, ep. 26

Vote in TRF Fashion Polls!


Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
spanish state visit to japan, state visit


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spanish State Visit to Tunisia and Official Visit to Malta: November 24-26, 2009 lula King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia 10 11-26-2009 04:10 PM
Spanish State Visit to Japan: November 8-14, 2008 fanletizia Imperial Family of Japan 55 10-27-2009 02:35 AM
Spanish State Visit to Jordan: April 24-26, 2006 Humera Royal House of Jordan 117 01-28-2007 04:04 PM
Spanish State Visit to Qatar: April 26-27, 2006 fanletizia Ruling Family of Qatar 16 04-28-2006 12:35 PM




Popular Tags
administrator archie mountbatten-windsor aristocracy bavaria;house;chef;luitpold;ludwig belgian royal belgian royal family birthday celebration crown prince hussein's future wife crusades current events cypher danish royalty denmark duchess of cambridge duchess of sussex duke & duchess of cambridge; duke of sussex dutch royal family family search felipe vi foundation french royalty future future wife of prince hussein germany hamdan bin mohammed head of the house house of bernadotte jerusalem king salman letter lithuania lithuanian palaces meghan markle memoir mohammed vi monaco history monaco royal monarchism mountbatten nelson mandela bay netflix nobel prize norway history official visit pakistan prince charles prince daniel prince harry princess anne princess benedikte princess margaret qe2 queen paola rown royal children royal tour rumania russian imperial family saudi arabia spain spanish history state visit state visit to denmark sweden trump valois viscount severn visit from sweden windy city


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:19 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises
×