Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand Visit: June 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mandyy

Heir Presumptive
Country
Canada
June 8-14 2006
Kawaguchi to accompany emperor, empress to S.E. Asia
Former Foreign Minister Yoriko Kawaguchi, who is currently a House of Councillors member, will head the group of officials accompanying Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko in their weeklong visit to Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand starting June 8, the Cabinet decided Tuesday..............
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060523/kyodo/d8hp5e4o0.html

More info in the links below
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/365870-post65.html
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/403261-post92.html

mandyy said:
Timetable of the Emperor and Empress' week long visit

June 8: Leave Tokyo's Haneda Airport for Singapore

June 9: Attend a banquet to be hosted by Singaporean President S.R. Nathan

June 10: Move on with their visit to Malaysia
They will visit the northern Malaysia state of Perak

June 11: Fly to Bangkok via Kuala Lumpur

June 12-13:
They will participate in events marking the 60th anniversary of King Bhumibol Adulyadej's reign

June 14: Return to Japan

Pls post photos and news of their visit to Singapore and Malaysia here.
News and photos regarding the Imperial couple celebrating the 60th anniversary of Thai's King Bhumibol Adulyadej's reign may be posted in this thread.

Last edited:
Address

How do you address them. As your Imperial Majesty or your majesties

PrincessDianafan said:
How do you address them. As your Imperial Majesty or your majesties
Your Imperial Majesties would be the correct way to address them

Japanese royal couple due in Singapore as nations mark 40-year ties
...................Yutaka Kawashima, Imperial Household's Grand Master of Ceremonies, said: "The majesties are looking forward to seeing Singapore and meeting friends there. I'm sure his visit will certainly further enhance the very friendly and cooperative relations between the 2 countries.
"..............They'll be quite impressed with the progress and prosperity that Singaporeans have achieved."...............One of the places the royal couple will visit in Singapore will be the National Library, where they are expected to donate some of their own books.
The Emperor and Empress only travel overseas once every two years.
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/eastasia/view/211823/1/.html

Japan's Royal Couple Brings Back Nostalgia To Ipoh
The day-long visit by Japan's Emperor and Empress to Perak on June 10 is akin to fulfilling a promise made 15 years ago.

Back in 1991, Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko who were visiting Malaysia, had to cancel their trip to Ipoh as the city was enveloped in thick haze that had drifted from hot spots across the Melaka Straits.

This would be the royal couple's third visit to the country and is regarded as very significant because apart from Malaysia, only Germany, United States and Belgium were the countries that they had visited more than twice.........................
http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=201952

Last edited:
Japanese Emperor Akihito speaks to reporters as Empress Michiko looks on at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo Tuesday, June 6, 2006. The Japanese royal couple gave the news conference ahead of their Southeast Asian trip. They will visit Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia to strengthen Japan's relations with its Asian neighbors. In Bangkok, they plan to attend Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej's celebrations marking the 60th anniversary of his coronation.

#1-3: Profimedia
#4: Polfoto

Related article
Japan's emperor calls for understanding of past
...............Akihito and his wife, Empress Michiko, depart on June 8 on a trip some see as an opportunity to emphasise Japan's desire for peace in Asia after diplomatic spats with China and South Korea that are partly caused by differing views of history."It is important to build friendly relationships, based on a complete understanding of history," Akihito, 72, told a news conference at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo.
Michiko, 71, wearing a terracotta dress and pearls, appeared with the grey-suited emperor, apparently having recovered from a cold that delayed the media event from last week.................
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060606/3/2ljnw.html

Last edited:
what kind of visit is it?? (statevisit, official visit etc.)

Princess Robijn said:
what kind of visit is it?? (statevisit, official visit etc.)
State visit to Singapore and official visit to Malaysia

Articles about the press conference on June 6, 2006.
Emperor expresses sorrow for those died in S.E. Asia during WWII
............."Many people, including Japanese, lost their lives (in Southeast Asia), and that is heartbreaking," said the 72-year-old emperor at a news conference.....................
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060606/kyodo/d8i2mci80.html

Japan's emperor concerned about fading war memories
............"We should never forget about this history and I think each of our citizens shouldcooperate and make an effort to form a society with no fighting," Akihito told Japanese and foreign journalists................
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/06062006/323/japan-s-emperor-concerned-fading-war-memories.html

We must mention war, says emperor
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,25689-2213941,00.html

Last edited:
Press Conference by Their Majesties The Emperor and Empress of Japan Before
Their Majesties’ Visit to the Republic of Singapore and the Kingdom of Thailand
Date: 6 June 2006
Imperial Palace, Tokyo
(Imperial Household Agency Press Club)
Question 1
This question is addressed to both Your Majesties. This will be your first visit to the Kingdom of Thailand and Malaysia in 15 years and your first visit to the Republic of Singapore since His Majesty’s enthronement. Please tell us your impressions of each of these countries and what your aspirations are for these visits. Furthermore, all of the places that you will be visiting are regions with high temperatures. Please also tell us if, in preparation for these visits, Your Majesties have discussed how to maintain your health.
Response by His Majesty
We will be visiting Singapore on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the establishment of our diplomatic relations, and also Thailand to attend the 60th Anniversary Celebrations of the Accession to the Throne of His Majesty the King of Thailand. In between our visits to both countries, we will spend the weekend in Malaysia, where we are scheduled to visit the state of Perak, the visit to which was cancelled when we visited Malaysia in 1991.
We visited Singapore 36 years ago in 1970 as the Crown Prince and Crown Princess and met President Encik Yusof bin Ishak and First Lady Puan Noor Aishah. We also had the opportunity to talk to Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew at the banquet that he held for us. It was not long after Singapore had gained independence, when the country was striving to develop itself, and I remember planting a cycad tree in what was then an empty area of the Jurong district. That area is now a Japanese garden, and I am looking forward to seeing both the tree and the Japanese garden. Approximately ten years after this visit, we also stopped off in Singapore on our return back from our visits to Saudi Arabia and Sri Lanka. This will be our first visit in 25 years since that last visit. In the meantime Singapore has developed and each and every individual has come to enjoy a very prosperous life. I hear that the new companies in IT or bio-chemical industries are growing in addition to the old ones like the shipyard we had visited before. On this visit, I would like to deepen understanding about present-day Singapore. I will indeed be happy if I can, through this visit, somehow contribute to advancing mutual understanding and friendship between the peoples of our nations..............................
http://www.kunaicho.go.jp/epress/epress-h18-0606.html

Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko attend a send-off ceremony in the guesthouse of Tokyo International airport June 8, 2006. Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko are to go on a trip to Singapore and Thailand.

#1-3,7-9: Reuters
#4-6: Profimedia

Related article
Emperor Akihito, Empress Michiko leave for Southeast Asia trip
Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko departed Thursday morning from Tokyo's Haneda airport for a weeklong visit to Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand....................Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako, as well as Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi, saw off the couple at the airport...............
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060608/kyodo/d8i3o6to0.html

Last edited:
More photos from their departure
#1-3: Reuters
#4-6: Getty images
#7-10: Profimedia

Last edited:
Last edited:
Japanese royals leave for Thailand

Tokyo - Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko were seen off at the Tokyo airport Thursday for a six-day trip to Southeast Asia by Crown Prince Naruhito, Crown Princess Masako and Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi, the Imperial Household Agency said.

The royal couple are on their way to pay their first visit to Singapore, where they are to attend a banquet hosted by President SR Nathan on June 9. They then will travel on to Malaysia's Perak state, known for its royal house descended from the rulers of Malacca.

On Sunday, the emperor and empress are to travel to Bangkok for the 60th anniversary celebrations of the ascension of His Majesty the King, the world's longest reigning monarch.
The two last visited Malaysia and Thailand as an imperial couple in 1999, two years after the emperor ascended to the throne.

Before the royal trip, the 71-year-old empress was diagnosed with a cold and cold sores from fatigue last week but decided to press on with the planned visits.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=101899

ps. what cold sores? is he ill when leaving tokyo?

Several more pictures from EPA-Corbis on the Farewell Ceremony :

Emperor & Empress in Singapore
May 8th, 2006

Japan's Emperor Akihito, Empress Michiko arrive for three-day visit

SINGAPORE : Japan's Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko have arrived in Singapore for a three-day state visit.
They are here at the invitation of President S R Nathan.
After they landed in Singapore, the first stop for the royal couple was the Japanese Gardens.
This place holds fond memories for the Emperor and Empress because they planted two trees there when they first visited Singapore in 1970.
These two trees are known as King Sago Palms.
Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko had visited Singapore a second time in 1981, when they were the Crown Prince and Crown Princess.
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060608/5/singapore212622.html

pictures from terra & reuters/ap via yahoo

Attachments

• 720806e301b51g.jpg
    720806e301b51g.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 469
  • 720806e306eecg.jpg
    720806e306eecg.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 518
  • 720806e308a46g.jpg
    720806e308a46g.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 498
  • 720806e3082d9g.jpg
    720806e3082d9g.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 451
  • 720806e39e23eg.jpg
    720806e39e23eg.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 454
  • 720806e39e627g.jpg
    720806e39e627g.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 499
  • 720806e376ba1g.jpg
    720806e376ba1g.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 531
  • r346312049.jpg
    r346312049.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 455
Japan's Emperor Akihito looks at the Cycad (Cycas revolute) tree he planted during his visit to the Japanese Garden as the Crown Prince in 1970 in Singapore June 8, 2006.
#1: From Profimedia
#2-3: JIJI press

Last edited:
Royals Depart For Their Southeast Asian Trip

Getty Images

Japanese Royals Visit Singapore

Getty Images

Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko are welcomed by Singapore President S.R Nathan upon their arrival at the Istana Presidential in Singapore, 09 June 2006.

#1-4: Profimedia
#5-6: Polfoto
#7: JIJI press

Related Article:
Singapore and Japan's 40 years of diplomatic ties marked by Japan Emperor's visit
SINGAPORE: Singapore and Japan commemorates 40 years of diplomatic relations with a visit by the Japanese Emperor and Empress.
Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko were accorded the state welcoming ceremony at the Istana.
After that, they met President S R Nathan.
The royal couple is here at his invitation.......................
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/212763/1/.html

Last edited:
#1-6: Photos from Reuters
#7-9: Japan's Emperor Akihito, left, sits with Empress Michiko, while watching a skit performed by children, Friday, June 9, 2006 at the Singapore National Library in Singapore. (Polfoto)

Last edited:
More from Polfoto
#7: Reuters-Wee Sok Hiong (in wheelchair), former first lady and wife of the late former President of Singapore Wee Kim Wee,k greets Japan's Emperor Akihito (3rd R) and Empress Michiko (R) in Singapore June 9, 2006.

Last edited:
Very nice pictures. thank you very much!!!

I met them

Hi Mandyy,

Great photos. I was in the line up in the fourth picture on the top row. The people in that pic were right before me. I went to Polfoto but couldn't find it. Do you know Where I can find the picture?

Thanks for the nice pictures.;)

Ropura:)

Post Pictures

Hello

This is my first time visit this website,I will post the pictures later when I found them

Japan's Emperor Akihito Empress Michiko during a state banquet at the Istana in Singapore June 9, 2006.

#1-2: Polfoto
#3-6: Profimedia
#7-8: Reuters

Related Articles
Emperor says Japan cannot forget Singaporeans' WWII hardships

......................."We cannot forget that there were people who underwent various hardships also in your country at the time of the last world war," the emperor said in his address at a banquet hosted by Singaporean President S. R. Nathan and his wife Urmila Nandey at the president's official residence, Japanese Imperial Household Agency officials said. "People in our country have, thinking of this history, devoted themselves to regional stability and development of Southeast Asia as well as for peace and prosperity of the world."...................
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060609/kyodo/d8i4olbg0.html

Last edited:
As per TRF Posting Rules & Guidelines, pictures should be posted in the host country with links to the visiting royals' threads.

To that effect, pictures of the Emperial couple's visit to Malaysia have been moved to the Malaysian Royalty thread.

Pictures of the Emperor and the Empress trip to Thailand will be posted in the Thailand forum with a link to this thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Mandy
Japanese Forum Moderator

Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA: Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko wave to the crowd as they leave a hotel in Kuala Lumpur, 11 June 2006. The royal couple's visit is their second to Malaysia since the emperor took the throne in 1989.

from AFP-Getty & Belgapic

I was there at the National Library where they signed the visitor book and viewing the rare collection.

The Empress has very fair complexion...beautiful and elegant despite her age. She is so sweet...after she view the books and when she's about to turn back, she look up, saw us there, smile and nodded slightly at us. so nice and elegant. When the Emperor cannot really catch what the librarian is saying, she actually translate it into Japanese for him.

The visit to the library

Hi, you were there too. Did you manage to get any pictures. I couldn't because of protocol. Yes, they seem to be a very loving couple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom