The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Imperial Family of Japan

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda85
I didn't mean to offend, I was just asking too. I think that she may have a baby in the next year after she has adjusted to life in the outside world.
Linda
yeah, I agree with you, the change in sayako's life was so big that she need time adapt

Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 03-03-2007, 04:28 AM
Aristocracy
Picture of the Month Representative – Japan

Wonder how she's doing now? Hopefully she has adapted to the changes since her wedding...

Old 03-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Aristocracy

Their laws does not make sense to me. How can she is a commoner while her parent are Imperor and Impress. How many commoner has Imperor and Impress as parents?
Old 03-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimlan
Their laws does not make sense to me. How can she is a commoner while her parent are Imperor and Impress. How many commoner has Imperor and Impress as parents?
She's a born imperial princess. She become a commoner because she' got married.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'd love to have news about her. Has she become pregnant ?
Old 03-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Aristocracy
Picture of the Month Representative – Japan

Who know? She could be and no one else besides her and husband would know.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Aristocracy

Wink

congratstulation with " Sayako" birthday on""18 April"',
she will be (38 years old)hoera .

Ropura
Old 04-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Aristocracy

Private citizens and media privacy

I'm not familiar laws concerning privacy and the media around the world. Particulary in Japan, I know that the IHA controls official releases but is the Japanese royal family considered "public figures" in the same way politicians, athletes and actors are in other parts of the world? If so, do laws protect them from paparazzi or is it living on the island in the middle of Tokyo and any travel being controlled by the IHA? Specifically in the case of Sayako Kuroda - do we see less coverage of her now because people just aren't interested? Or is she considered a private citizen and media inquiry/intrusion into her life would face legal ramifications? I would appreciate any help in this.

Mapper
Old 04-24-2007, 04:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

I'm not sure about her position specifically, but apparently if any of the Japanese photographers overstep their bounds in trying to get photos of the royals, they and their employers are made to suffer for it. Same for the journalists who write articles. So the IHA has a lot of control over the press too; if the press was told that certain sorts of photos of Sayako Kuroda were unacceptable, then almost certainly they wouldn't be taking them.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:52 AM
Aristocracy

Thanks for the response Elspeth!
Old 04-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
I'm not sure about her position specifically, but apparently if any of the Japanese photographers overstep their bounds in trying to get photos of the royals, they and their employers are made to suffer for it. Same for the journalists who write articles. So the IHA has a lot of control over the press too; if the press was told that certain sorts of photos of Sayako Kuroda were unacceptable, then almost certainly they wouldn't be taking them.
You're attributing too much to the IHA, they don't have control over the press. What they do have control over is the press's access to the Imperial Family members. The IHA press office gives journalists permission to attend or not attend the press conferences that the royals give for their birthdays and before foreign tours. The Japanese media itself is a 'closed shop', Foreign correspondents in Japan complain about the fact they are shut out of the "kisha" clubs, Japanese reporters clubs, Japanese organisations and the government have a tendency to only release information only to the kisha clubs and therefore leave the Foreign correspondents out of the loop of the information that is given out. It's not just that the IHA press office is selective as to who receives their information other Japanese organisations, including the government is as well.
Japanese journalists self-censor when it comes to the royals, as one journalists put it, 'If I write something that's wrong about a person I have to publicly apologise, if I write something that is wrong about a member of the Imperial Family then the publisher of my paper has to apologise'. Public apologies by officials are part of Japanese culture, 2 years ago there was a train crash, the first in 40 years. Within hours the directors of the train company were on TV publicly apologising to the general public for the fact that there had been an accident.
There's no paparazzi in Japan, none trying to take photos of royals or Japanese celebrities, it's all part of the Japanese culture of respect. Photos of Sayako Kuroda are taken, there's a recent one where she was at the same concert as the Empress and Princess Kiko and there also have been photos of Sayako driving through the Imperial Palace gates visiting her parents. But there are no paparazzi stalking her when she leaves her appartment, goes about her daily routine as all that goes against the whole respect culture.
And it's not because there's a threat of punishment or the IHA will make the photographers or their employers suffer. It's more to do with Japanese societal values of respect.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Was her husband a widower?

I know I am asking this question a bit late but do you know why Mr Kuroda got married so late? Has he been married before? With the princess I understand that she got married so late because it is obviously very complicated with leaving her family and losing her status etc. but Mr Kuroda is a commoner. And I understand that in Japan people usually marry earlier in life and not just as a custom but nearly like a duty. I have heard that people in Japan will think that you are weird or that s.th. is very wrong with you if you don´t marry. Can anybody explain that?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

According to this article, he hasn't been married before:

Princess finds something in commoner - World - smh.com.au
Old 08-15-2007, 06:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiaraC View Post
I know I am asking this question a bit late but do you know why Mr Kuroda got married so late? Has he been married before? With the princess I understand that she got married so late because it is obviously very complicated with leaving her family and losing her status etc. but Mr Kuroda is a commoner. And I understand that in Japan people usually marry earlier in life and not just as a custom but nearly like a duty. I have heard that people in Japan will think that you are weird or that s.th. is very wrong with you if you don´t marry. Can anybody explain that?
By current Japanese norms neither Sayako nor Yoshiki Kuroda married late in life. More and more Japanese are getting married ( for the first time) in their mid and late 30s. This trend is something that is contributing to the population crisis, for the past few years the birth rate has been lower than the death rate and as Japan isn't a country that has significant numbers of immigrants, the population is actually dropping.
Sayako herself for her 34th or 35th birthday interview was asked if she had some comment on the trend for women in particular to marry later in life. ( She gave a non-commital answer)

Many years ago the trend was for Japanese to marry earlier ( in their early 20's) but this hasn't been the case for a long time. The idea that you're weird if you don't marry is an old one too as many women in particular are choosing to remain single. Japan is still a country where women have to make the choice of either a career or marriage, both is extremely difficult and most women give up their careers when they marry or at the birth of their first child. They never return to outside employment.

A PS Just remembered a rather insulting name from the past about women marrying late. They were called "Christmas cake" that's because as the saying went women like Christmas cake ( which in Japan is a sponge cake with fresh strawberries) are old and stale after the 25th. In the case of women it meant their 25th birthday.
But as I said before fewer women marry young now a days, so the saying has died.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

I obviously was not up to date concerning marrying age in Japan. Thank you for answering so fast and with so many details!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
A PS Just remembered a rather insulting name from the past about women marrying late. They were called "Christmas cake" that's because as the saying went women like Christmas cake ( which in Japan is a sponge cake with fresh strawberries) are old and stale after the 25th. In the case of women it meant their 25th birthday.
But as I said before fewer women marry young now a days, so the saying has died.

That is really just mean.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Nobility

No news from Sayako Kuroda, so far ?
Old 10-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Does someone know if she is in contact with her imperial family?
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

She's been photographed attending private events with her family, so although she doesn't take part in their official lives, she's still included in their personal life.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Any even little news about commoner life of Mrs Kuroda?

Tags
princess nori, princess sayako, sayako, sayako kuroda