The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Imperial Family of Japan

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Crown Princess Victoria in Japan on Saturday 9 April when she was invited to lunch with Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko accompanied by Princess Sayako. From Fotomarktplatz:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V med A, M & S.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	125089  

Old 04-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Article from the daily Yomiuri (first seen on the crown princess Mary board). Here is the part on Victoria (I will post the part on Haakon in the norwegian RF-forum):
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/newse/20050415wo42.htm

Swedish princess grows into role

Crown Princess Victoria became heir to the Swedish throne when the law was amended in 1979. Even during her childhood, as a photogenic and bright young girl, she was the focal point of a media circus and sometimes found it difficult coping with the attention.

Now grown up, Princess Victoria is serious about her duty and responsibility and is prepared for the future.

"I don't like to talk about it (the succession) that much. It means that my father is no longer around," she said when asked how she felt about becoming the first Swedish queen in modern history.

"Of course, I feel pressure" on becoming head of state, she said, but added that she now sees it in a different light.

"I look forward to being able to help Swedish people and Sweden," she said. Asked in what way, she said, "I see myself more as an ambassador for Sweden." She has being living up to her aim--as well as visiting Japan, she visited Australia earlier in the year.

Preparing for a foreign trip, she reads background materials the Swedish Embassy provides and meets as many people as possible before leaving Sweden. "I try to be a good ambassador," she said. It may consume a lot of energy, but she seems to enjoy it. "It's fun, because it means that I learn a lot of different things, and it's always exciting, of course," she said.

Princess Victoria made headlines when she visited Kosovo in 2002 and went through military training for three weeks in 2003. When asked of her military adventures, she laughed and described the training as extremely interesting. The training was for troops to be dispatched on peacekeeping operations. "The (Swedish) military has very good teachers. You learn about so many different things. First aid and how to fight fires--things useful in your daily life," she said.

The princess trained alongside ordinary Swedes. "It was wonderful--I met chefs and drivers" and other people from occupations that make up modern Swedish society, she said.

Of her visit to Kosovo, Princess Victoria described it as "study trip" to understand the conflict in the region. She is eager to do more when the opportunity arises. But right now, the Swedish nation is closely watching who the princess will pick as her husband. Although she mentioned no names, Princess Victoria did not shy away from talking about it--in fact she was voluble on the subject.

On the qualifications needed in a future husband, the princess emphasized the ability to handle different situations and a good sense of humor. "Humor takes you a long way. You can survive many situations if you have a sense of humor," she said.

Well, does that mean that she has someone in mind?

"There is someone in my life," Princess Victoria admitted, though she quickly added, "I don't have marriage in mind."

According to news reports, Swedish media have been rife with speculation over whether Princess Victoria will marry boyfriend Daniel Westling, a gym instructor from a small town in central Sweden.

Will the princess follow her Norwegian counterpart by marrying a commoner? Opinion polls suggest that most Swedes support the idea.

"I think the general idea of Swedes is that it's the modern way to marry someone that you love, not necessarily where she or he comes from...Of course, there are more to choose from," she laughed.

Monarchies around the world have faced difficulties in the past few years. In Britain, Prince Charles faced criticism when he married Camilla Parker Bowles earlier this month, while in Japan, the succession issue is looming on the horizon. But their Norwegian and Swedish counterparts seem eager to prove there are still many things a monarchy can achieve.

"(Royals have) a public life," Princess Victoria said. "Your role in society will be different (compared with ordinary citizens)."

Is she ready? "I am preparing," she said quietly, with a smile.

Old 07-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Majesty

thank you so much for that article
Old 07-26-2005, 03:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Photo of her visit to an elelmentary school in Aichi Prefecture on April 8th

Photo from Yomiuri News
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Majesty

was there articles in japance newspapers about her visit
Old 07-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Photos from Aichi news of her visit to the elementary school and Aichi Expo.
Attached Images

Tags
crown prince naruhito, crown princess victoria, japan, naruhito, official visit, world exposition