Princess Hisako Takamado and Family: News and Pictures

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Takamado was in Brazil last week. Her Imperial Highness visited the Japanese team, in the city of Itú (state of São Paulo), and attended a reception in her honor offered by the Governor of the State of Rio Grande do Norte, at Potegi Palace.

In the city of Natal (state of Rio Grande do Norte), the Princess watched the game between Japan and Greece.

G1 - Em voo comercial, princesa do Japão chega a Natal para ver jogo da Copa - notícias em Rio Grande do Norte

Erivan Silva: GOVERNADORA RECEBE PRINCESA DA FAMÍLIA IMPERIAL JAPONESA

Ceremony of Betrothal Gifts | IMPERIAL FAMILY OF JAPAN
On 4th July, HIH Princess Hisako and HIH Princess Noriko of Takamadonomiya attended the Ceremony of Betrothal Gifts held at Takamadonomiya Residence. HIH Princess Noriko received 3 traditional betrothal gifts from Mr Kunimaro Senge; the money for sea red bream, 3 bottles of refined Sake and the silk fabric to make her dress for the wedding.

Princess Hisako opened an exhibition of her bird photos in Izumo, Shimane Prefecture on August 17, 2014.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

On September 1 Princess Hisako attended a memorial service in Tokyo for the victims of the Great Kanto Earthquake that had hit the capital and surrounding areas in 1923, killing over 100,000 people.

** Pic **

Princess Hisako and Princess Noriko visited the Outer Shrine at Ise Grad Shrine in Ise, Mie Prefecture, western Japan, on September 3, 2014.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

The farewell ceremony was touching. Princess Noriko looked beautiful in the traditional dress and the white silk dress.

Last edited:
The farewell ceremony was touching. Princess Noriko looked beautiful in the traditional dress and the white silk dress.

The white silk dress is also traditional and is of the same type of material worn by Crown Princess Masako, Princess Kiko and Empress Michiko on their wedding days. The brocade type pattern depicts the stylised image of a stork/crane which is symbolic for luck and longevity.
Princess Noriko looked enchanting.

I wish all the best to Princess Noriko in her new life as Mrs. Senge.

The white silk dress is also traditional and is of the same type of material worn by Crown Princess Masako, Princess Kiko and Empress Michiko on their wedding days. The brocade type pattern depicts the stylised image of a stork/crane which is symbolic for luck and longevity.
Princess Noriko looked enchanting.
The additional information is very much appreciated.:flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers:
Princess Noriko's white ensemble was elegant. The Japanese are keen on intricate understated details.
On different note, it is probably the last time Princess Noriko wore her tiara.

Will she be allowed to keep the orders that was bestowed on her after she marries? Or does she forfeit them, since she got them as a member of the imperial family?

Will she be allowed to keep the orders that was bestowed on her after she marries? Or does she forfeit them, since she got them as a member of the imperial family?

According to Wikipedia, the only order she has is Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown, which was also held by Princess Sayako. Princess Syako is listed as a former member of that order, I presume it will be the same for Princess Noriko.
Other former members according to Wikipedia are Atsuko Ikeda (Akihito's sister),
Takako Shimazu (Akihito's sister)
Yasuko Konoe (Mikasa's daughter)
Masako Sen (Mikasa's daughter)

The additional information is very much appreciated.:flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers:
Princess Noriko's white ensemble was elegant. The Japanese are keen on intricate understated details.
On different note, it is probably the last time Princess Noriko wore her tiara.

You're very welcome. Yes, the white ensemble was exceptionally elegant, none of it was contrived or over done, yet it wasn't old fashioned and would have looked fine on any young bride for her wedding. The images of Princess Noriko wearing her tiara, jewels and order will have to be treasured as I doubt she will ever wear them again.
I agree, the Japanese use intricate understated details very well for practically everything- clothes, food, art, houses etc. On top of that, each detail will likely have meaning and be symbolic but not in a showy way. It is very clever, because few things in Japanese design look out of place in the modern world even though they might be steeped in tradition.

Last edited by a moderator:

A lovely pic of mother and daughter! Princes Hisako and Princess Noriko arrived at the Izumo airport today, October 4, 2014 for the upcoming wedding celebrations:

** Pic **

i love traditional ceremonies! what a set of beautiful dresses noriko has wore. does anyone know how many events there are in japanese royal wedding ceremonies and they significance? as far as i see there have already been 3 events, two farewell events and one that looks like the actual ceremony. i hope we get to see more pictures of the wedding, it all looks stunning and so traiditional.

i love traditional ceremonies! what a set of beautiful dresses noriko has wore. does anyone know how many events there are in japanese royal wedding ceremonies and they significance? as far as i see there have already been 3 events, two farewell events and one that looks like the actual ceremony. i hope we get to see more pictures of the wedding, it all looks stunning and so traiditional.

Like in most European countries, this is not the actual wedding. The only legal one is the one before the municipal registrar. This can be done as small or as grand as the couple wishes (exactly like in Europe). No ceremony of any kind is required under Japanese Law (exactly like in Europe again).

Traditional families attach great importance to the Shinto rites. The more elaborate the wedding, the more elaborate the ceremonies. It can vary from a farewell ceremony to a welcome ceremony. But there are also ceremonies when brides meet the groom "for the first time" (arranged marriages). Modern Japanese women will object against a lot of these ceremonies because it is very much about promises made by the groom to act as a good husband and head of the family. The bride has to promise, again and again, to be a loyal, faithful, obedient and subservient wife to her husband, her whole life long.

:flowers:

Princess Noriko marries son of Izumo Taisha priest, relinquishes royal status | The Japan Times
IZUMO, SHIMANE PREF. – Princess Noriko on Sunday married the eldest son of the head priest of the Izumo Taisha grand shrine in Shimane Prefecture, thereby relinquishing her Imperial status.

The 26-year-old princess, a daughter of the late Prince Takamado, Emperor Akihito’s cousin, and Kunimaro Senge, 41, were wed at the shrine where his family has been in charge of Shinto rituals for generations, following a tradition adopted by female members of the Imperial family.

Twenty-one people, including the princess’ mother, Princess Hisako, elder sister, Princess Tsuguko, and younger sister, Princess Ayako, as well as the Senge’s parents and various relatives, attended the wedding.

On itself we do not need to feel sorry for Princess Noriko, now Mrs Senge. The Japanese Government has given the Princess a dowry of around 650.000 Euro (appr. 850,000 US Dollar).

The costs for the wedding ceremony were also met by the Imperial Household Agency...

:whistling:

Lovely to see the wedding photos and I am looking forward to hopefully seeing some more images of the receptions on Monday and Wednesday!

On itself we do not need to feel sorry for Princess Noriko, now Mrs Senge. The Japanese Government has given the Princess a dowry of around 650.000 Euro (appr. 850,000 US Dollar).

The costs for the wedding ceremony were also met by the Imperial Household Agency...

[my bolding]

The dowry is rather modest. Japan is an expensive country. I am not sure what $850,000 can buy. It is nice that the IHA paid for the wedding though.

I am looking forward to seeing photos from the wedding reception.

Last edited:

I remember when Princess Sayako was married, there was much concern for her because her change in status made people think she was banished from her former life, never to see her family again and never to set foot inside the palace etc. Of-course it is not the case at all, one simply has to remember that the Imperial protocols means one cannot just turn up for a cuppa and a natter whenever one likes.

Sayako and Noriko would not have embarked on marriage unless they were happy to do so and they wanted to keep their status.

650,000 euros is a very generous gesture. I am not sure where Noriko and her new husband will now live, but they could buy a house with it, or buy some nice furniture.

I read they'll live with his parents and brother.

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2520956.html

The above link contains photos of the wedding reception in Hotel New Otani in Tokyo. Prime Minister Abe and the Crown Princely couple were in attendance.

Mr Senge is said to come from an aristocratic family. His family had the title of marquise before the adoption of the Constitution of 1946. https://nikolaevec.livejournal.com/553766.html The title is informally acknowledged in the upper circles.

On a different note, I couldn't help noticing Mrs Senge's truly regal posture.

Last edited:
https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2520956.html

The above link contains photos of the wedding reception in Hotel New Otani in Tokyo. Prime Minister Abe and the Crown Princely couple were in attendance.

Mr Senge is said to come from an aristocratic family. His family had the title of marquise before the adoption of the Constitution of 1946. https://nikolaevec.livejournal.com/553766.html The title is informally acknowledged in the upper circles.

On a different note, I couldn't help noticing Ms Senge's truly regal posture.

Also Crown Princess Masako has attended!

Why she shouldn't attend? She is a member of the family.

All the best to the newly married couple!

Back
Top Bottom