Princess Hisako Takamado and Family: News and Pictures

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Hisako is so energetic. After the many New Year's Receptions, she attended the Emperor's Cup JFA 99th Japan Championship Final between Vissel Kobe and Kashima Antlers at the New National Stadium in Shinjuku, Tokyo on January 1st.

Getty Images

ETA: In mid-December, Princess Hisako attended an evening event (related to the Tokyo Olympics?)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6GMi7BFLWl/

Last edited:
Attendance at the Asiatic Society of Japan, Inc.’s (ASJ) Monthly Lecture, Attended by Honorary Patron, Her Imperial Highness Princess Takamado - Embassy of Afghanistan - Tokyo
December 17, 2019: [...]

On behalf of the people and Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, H.E. Ambassador Dr. Mohabbat greeted Her Imperial Highness Princess Takamado, and through her thanking the people and Government of Japan for their steadfast and benevolent support of Afghanistan over the years on its quest for progress, prosperity, and peace. In return, Her Imperial Highness Princess Takamado thanked H.E. Dr. Mohabbat for his kind words as well for his participation in the monthly meeting of the ASJ in which he is also a Board Member.

[...]
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49337166243_1ccd6040c0_k.jpg

Last edited:
On January 27th, Princess Hisako attended the donation ceremony of Ikebana International Fair 2019 at the Palace Hotel Tokyo. Part of the proceeds from the December 17 charity fair were donated to heavy rainfall victims in Saga Prefecture and typhoon victims in Chiba Prefecture.

Photos: https://www.greecejapan.com/jp/?p=68142

Also on January 27th, Princess Hisako attended a special screening of the documentary movie "Vatreni: A Flame has been Fired" & reception at the Delegation of the European Union to Japan (Europa House). The event celebrates the beginning of the Croatian Presidency of the Council of the European Union.

Photos:
Japan - MVEP * Special screening of the documentary movie „Vatreni: A Flame has been Fired“ and a reception on the occasion of celebrating the beginning of the Croatian Presidency of the Council of the European Union

During the New Year Luncheon/donation ceremony of Ikebana International on January 27th, guest Vineetha Alugaddala extended an invitation to Princess Hisako to attend the 15th Asian Regional Conference in Hyderabad, India from November 9-12.
Source:
On February 2nd, Princess Hisako attended the opening ceremony of Tableware Festival 2020 at Tokyo Dome in Bunkyo, Tokyo. The 28th edition features about 130,000 items and special displays on Seto ceramics, Italian design, and Japan-inspired Western tableware.

Photos: Yomiuri
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8C6clwB7Xl/

Last edited:
:previous: more photos of Princess Hisako at Tableware Festival 2020 on February 2

https://bunkyo.keizai.biz/photoflash/1477/

The Embassy of Afghanistan in Tokyo - Embassy
February 3, 2020: It was an honor and a pleasure for H.E. Ambassador Dr. Bashir Mohabbat to attend the Asiatic Society of Japan, Inc. monthly lecture at Jyosai University’s Kioi Campus in Tokyo. Also in attendance was the Honorary Patron of the organization, Her Imperial Highness Princess Takamado.

This month's guest speaker was Olympic Silver Medalist Mr. Yuki Ota, President of the Japan Fencing Federation - and youngest sitting President of a Japanese Sports Federation - who spoke on the significance for Japan in hosting the 2020 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games. [...]

On February 14th, Princess Hisako attended the opening ceremony of “Concave and Convex: A Sumikawa Kiichi Retrospective” at Yokohama Museum of Art.

Photo: kanaloco.jp

On February 17th, Princess Hisako attended the 2019 Hockey Japan League awards ceremony at Nippon Seinenkan Hotel in Shinjuku, Tokyo.

Photos: Hochi.news, Sponichi

Reactions: eya
On February 28th, Princess Hisako attended the 27th Yomiuri Theater Awards ceremony at the Imperial Hotel in Chiyoda, Tokyo.

Photos: natalie.mu

Skip to 0:33

Last edited:
Thank you Prisma for all your efforts in letting us know about the many , many activities of the ,[in the uk at least ], lesser known members of the Imperial Family . I am a particular admirer of the Princess's Hisako , and Ayako . They carry out their public engagements with such a positive attitude . In particular Princess Hisako seems to have an amazing spread of interest's , whilst Princess Ayako does so much to promote traditional skill's , and Japanese culture . Thankyou again for bringing us all their news .

:previous: You're very welcome! Happy to share news on the extended family. :flowers:

On February 26th, Chopard Japan held a launch event for their new "Alpine Eagle" watch at Enoura Observatory in Odawara, Kanagawa Prefecture. Chopard Japan and BirdLife International agreed to collaborate to protect birds, their habitats, and the world's biodiversity. Princess Hisako attended the signing ceremony.

Photo: https://tokyo.birdlife.org/archives/news/18442

BirdLife International Annual Report 2019, page 11
Newly established a BirdLife International Japan Fund for Science
H.I.H Princess Takamado has served as the Honorary President of BirdLife International since 2004. To commemorate this occasion, BirdLife International Tokyo wishes to celebrate the 15th anniversary this year by establishing the new fund “BirdLife International Japan Fund for Science”, with the aim of supporting the scientific research and analysis for threatened bird species globally and for the foreseeable future. The
collected data is published as IUCN Red List. It is a basic data used by governments, international entities, and conservationists reflecting global conservation strategy and implementation more. We have allocated a portion of profits from Osaka and Tokyo Gala Dinner 2019, also we have received some individual donations. Moreover, long-term support has started with Dow Chemical Japan, as well as Chopard Japan.

Last edited:
March 5: Princess Hisako undergoes surgery for acute appendicitis at the University of Tokyo Hospital.

news.tv-asahi.co.jp, Asahi

Wishing Princess Hisako a successful surgery and quick recovery.

Last edited:
Best wishes to Princess Hisako , for a smooth recovery

Princess Hisako undergoes surgery for acute appendicitis - The Mainichi
[...] The 66-year-old princess is doing well after a 90-minute laparoscopic surgery at the University of Tokyo Hospital. She will be hospitalized for three to seven days, requiring her official duties to be postponed, the agency said.

The wife of the late Prince Takamado was admitted to the hospital earlier in the day after developing abdominal pain Wednesday. [...]
news24.jp reports since marrying into the Imperial family in 1984, this is Princess Hisako's first hospitalization except giving birth.

Last edited:
Princess Hisako undergoes surgery for acute appendicitis - The Mainichi

news24.jp reports since marrying into the Imperial family in 1984, this is Princess Hisako's first hospitalization except giving birth.

It is nice to know that the princess is doing well. It is excellent that she has never before needed hospitalization for health reasons, but that must have caused all the more anxiety for her daughters who experienced the sudden and tragic loss of their father at an early age.

Princess Hisako will be hospitalized for about 10 days due to inflammation around the affected area. She had surgery for acute appendicitis on March 5 and was originally expected to be discharged in 3 to 7 days.

Source: Sankei Imperial Weekly #632 page 2

Princess Hisako was discharged from the University of Tokyo Hospital on March 17. There is no problem in everyday life, and that the scope of public affairs will gradually be expanded while observing physical condition.

Source: Sankei

Princess Tsuguko, Noriko Senge and Ayako Moriya took turns visiting their mother Princess Hisako when she was hospitalized March 5-17 for acute appendicitis.

Princess Hisako expressed deep appreciation to the University of Tokyo Hospital on discharge.

Source: Sankei Imperial Weekly #633

Princess Hisako wasn't scheduled to attend the Spring Equinox Festival on March 20 but she was well enough to attend, see news24.jp video.

On April 1st, the IHA announced Princess Hisako was appointed honorary president of the National Rifle Association of Japan. She watched rifle shooting at the National Sports Festival and the association requested her appointment ahead of the Tokyo Olympics.

Sources: Jiji, riflesports.jp

Reactions: eya
On May 1st, the IHA announced Princess Hisako was appointed Honorary President of Japan Handball Association and Honorary President of "Japan National Mama-san Volleyball Federation." She served as Honorary President of the Women's Handball World Championships in Kumamoto Prefecture last year; she's been Honorary President of the moms volleyball summer tournament since 1995.

Both organizations requested her patronage.

Sources: Sankei, Jiji

On January 28th, Princess Hisako attended a Thank You party, sponsored by the International Education Center Supporter Association, held at the lounge room on the 24th floor of the Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance Co., Ltd.

Photos: http://www.iec-nichibei.or.jp/pdf/20200128.pdf

On May 1st, the IHA announced Princess Hisako was appointed Honorary President of Japan Handball Association and Honorary President of "Japan National Mama-san Volleyball Federation." She served as Honorary President of the Women's Handball World Championships in Kumamoto Prefecture last year; she's been Honorary President of the moms volleyball summer tournament since 1995.

Both organizations requested her patronage.

Sources: Sankei, Jiji

Interesting that a relatively unnoticed (in spite of her dedicated work) member of one of the cadet branches still has organizations requesting her patronage. I hope the Emperor, Imperial Household Agency and future governments will bear this in mind as they decide their future policies for the size of the imperial family.

Interesting that a relatively unnoticed (in spite of her dedicated work) member of one of the cadet branches still has organizations requesting her patronage. I hope the Emperor, Imperial Household Agency and future governments will bear this in mind as they decide their future policies for the size of the imperial family.
I agree. I'm also curious how patronages and other assignments come about. So far it seems an organization must request a royal's patronage and get IHA approval. How does a royal cultivate that relationship? Princess Hisako has been supporting the mama-san volleyball summer tournament since 1995 but was asked for her official patronage recently. Maybe an organization needs to meet some criteria?

The Takamado couple traveled the most to represent the Imperial family and Princess Hisako continues to maintain excellent relations with organizations, foreign royals, and other nations.

Another puzzle is Princess Tsuguko attending the December opening of the art exhibition celebrating 150 years of Japan-Hungary relations. Princess Kako officially visited Hungary to mark the milestone in September, wouldn't she be a better choice over Tsuguko who visited Hungary privately in 2008? Instead Kako visited the exhibition in February...

Except for Princess Akiko with Shinyusha and some activities, the younger princesses are essentially inheriting patronages from their parents. There's nothing wrong with that but I'd like to see them (or IHA allow them to) cultivate their own patronages.

Tabloids focused on Princess Tsuguko late 2019 and early 2020 about a possible engagement.

Jprime December 17, 2019 reported Princess Tsuguko would soon be engaged to her boyfriend of several years, a major bank employee. Reporters tried to ask him (referring to him as Mr. A) in November while he hailed a taxi but he quickly escaped.

Bunshun followed Princess Tsuguko and her alleged boyfriend leaving a seafood pub in Ginza on January 10. Photos include Princess Tsuguko and a female friend visiting an Okinawan restaurant in September 2019.

Bunshun become bold. Their reporters caught Princess Tsuguko and her alleged boyfriend on January 29 leaving a shabu-shabu restaurant in Roppongi.

Exchange on page 2
Reporter: Did you hear that your engagement is likely to be announced?

Tsuguko: No... I haven't.

Reporter: What is your relationship with Mr. A, who is with you?

Tsuguko: It is a friend

Reporter: So, are there any other people who love you?

Tsuguko: No, I don't.

Reporter: It is often reported about marriage...

Tsuguko: I'm not saying anything to anyone.

Reporter: So, the engagement rumor isn't true?

Tsuguko: Indeed

Reporter: 6 years have passed since you said in 2014 that you probably wouldn't marry for at least 3-4 years. How do you feel now?

Tsuguko: Indeed (laughs) but he's a friend.

Last edited:
I find Princess Tsuguko one of the most intriguing of the younger generation of princesses. She's always a little unexpected, whether it's her clothing, or in her ability to fly under the radar. I hope she has a chance for happy life, but I can't help wondering a bit about some of the private conversations between her and her very strong minded mother. I'm sure that they have been lively at times, especially considering what a challenge Tsuguko was for Hisako in Tsuguko's younger years.

I find Princess Tsuguko one of the most intriguing of the younger generation of princesses. She's always a little unexpected, whether it's her clothing, or in her ability to fly under the radar. I hope she has a chance for happy life, but I can't help wondering a bit about some of the private conversations between her and her very strong minded mother. I'm sure that they have been lively at times, especially considering what a challenge Tsuguko was for Hisako in Tsuguko's younger years.

what do you mean by what a challenge Tsuguko was for Hisako in Tsuguko's younger years?

Princess Tsuguko is well known to have been a bit of a wild child in her younger years. There were many references in gossip columns at the time.

In this linked article about the press coverage of Princess Noriko's engagement, there is a short paragraph towards the end of the article about Tsuguko, and what a challenge she was to Princess Hisako:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...a-minds-manners-royal-reportage/#.XvdyYS-ZPjA

I think this picture is a good example of how Princess Tsuguko was a little more rebellious:

https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...sin-von-japan-picture-id544575211?s=2048x2048

Although not very extreme, her makeup is definitely gyaru inspired, and I think she had a fake tan as well. She's much paler now. There was also a time when she dyed her hair, something most Japanese royals don't do. Unless they're hiding their graying hair *cough*the Crown Prince*cough*

Back
Top Bottom