Prince Frederik and Princess Mary of Denmark's Visit to Japan: March 26-28, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like the light blue and the dark red dresses.

oh, shame we couldn't see masako with them. was she in attendance, at least privately, or not at all?

Frederick and Mary are excellent examples of good diplomats who practice proper diplomacy.
They are very serious about their meetings with heads of state.
Also the Crown Prince and Princess are pleasant and jovial.
Perfection at its finest.

Frederick and Mary are excellent examples of good diplomats who practice proper diplomacy.
They are very serious about their meetings with heads of state.
Also the Crown Prince and Princess are pleasant and jovial.
Perfection at its finest.
So who among the crown princes/princesses do not perform their duties as "Perfection at its finest"? And what is is about Frederick and Mary that makes them so superior? I am having a hard time holding them up as the ultimate example as compared to the other royal couples.

What a wonderful trip. Frederik and Mary have done a great job promoting Greenland.
With wonderful smiles and attitudes towards their hist and guests.
The pictures of them greeting everyone, especially the kids was so cute
https://billedeupload.dk/images/GDo87.jpg

Love their warm greetings with the emperors and crown prince

https://scontent-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=8766d24a8e97ef0f4b4ce0ff0099e371&oe=55756998
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd...._=1433461114_32da454f27d4e380df196e2514bddda5

and of course the smiles between them
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-e0-HJ_yTtbw/VRaLS6JnMvI/AAAAAAAAisY/NcbyDH5TDuc/s1600/467852122.jpg

I don't think anyone is saying they are better than anyone, but they certainly have done a well job representing. And they have done so for awhile now

Thanks to everyone for the links

Very interested to see sealskin featured in this economic mission. Canadians have been battered by international publicity against sealing; I wonder what the Danish/Greenlandics have done to reverse the anti-seal hunt trend?:eek::nonono::hammer:

They don't have a hostile market close by. In Scandinavia and Russia fur is a common and widely accepted piece of clothing. The main export market, China, is not adverse to fur either. On the contrary!
But first and foremost the Greenlanders only shoot and export skin from adult seals. On top of that the Greenlanders are among many worldwide considered a sort of half-civilized hunter-gatheres who all trek across the ice and live in igloos and that helps too... Also, Greenland isn't that closely associated with Denmark in the eyes of the common Joe Average, so no "Western exploitation of animals in the name of capitalism" either.

Being in Germany these days, I haven't been able to follow what goes on here on TRF lately but I get a clear impression that M&F did very well. They are a great team when working together! Flirtatious and relaxed and Mary (just like QMII with PH) has a tendency to become girlish when Frederik is aorund.

Being in Germany these days, I haven't been able to follow what goes on here on TRF lately but I get a clear impression that M&F did very well. They are a great team when working together! Flirtatious and relaxed and Mary (just like QMII with PH) has a tendency to become girlish when Frederik is aorund.

Welcome back Muhler, hope you had a great time in Germany :)

More pictures from the dinner last night with Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako:
https://billedeupload.dk/images/3LXxP.jpg
https://billedeupload.dk/images/IH4AO.jpg
https://billedeupload.dk/images/ziF3c.jpg
https://billedeupload.dk/images/azFfc.jpg
https://billedeupload.dk/images/nYUpm.jpg
https://billedeupload.dk/images/8HsFh.jpg

BB video:
VIDEO: Kronprinsparret så på sælskind | Billed Bladet

Last edited by a moderator:
Minister Dan Jørgensen, who was with F&M in Japan, says to BB:
Fødevareminister Dan Jørgensen løb ved det japanske kejserpalads | Billed Bladet

- It has been a fantastic trip! They (F&M) simply represents our country so well and in this case also especially Greenland. So you get really proud when you are at work with them, because you can see how well they are received everywhere. But also how very humble and friendly and interested they are in all places where they appear.

Maybe F&M also reached to run together in the mornings before the programme started?

At least the Minister tells BB:
- I'm actually doing it most days (runs). For although these visit are busy, you have jetlag and you not getting much sleep, it's well spent anyway. It gives energy and you gotta be concentrated all the time. So it's important to take the time, I think.

Reading the article we can read BB as usually have got an interview with F&M after the visit.

so before they start the visit, they go and run?

Royal Couple attended the publication of the book by the Greenlandic artist Nuka K. Well Fred's poplære cartoon, the first step, which has been translated into Japanese. The comic is the first in a series of four, which include a history of Greenland.

Kronprinsparret deltager i japansk bogudgivelse af populær grønlandsk tegneserie

and at the Igloo
Det danske kronprinspar bygger Tokyos første iglo

with the Minister for Food, Agriculture and Fisheries
https://instagram.com/p/0vBVDvCDdV/
https://instagram.com/p/0xN4n7iDXn/

with the princesses from Japan
https://instagram.com/p/0vyCVMCDZD/

at the reading
https://instagram.com/p/0ya9z8CDbo/

Last edited:
Thanks, Roskilde & Polyesco :flowers::flowers:

Due to Easter BB has hit the streets today.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #14, 2015.
Written by our East Asia correspondent, Marianne Singer.

This was the first time Greenland promoted itself, independent of a Danish delegation although there were also Danish government ministers for the relevant ministries i.e. the Ministry of Greenland and the Ministry of Fishery. (Greenland is fully autonomous except in foreign affairs, defense and the courts and policing). So it was very much members of the Greenlandic Parliament who was in the forefront, with the head of the Greenlandic Parliement, Kim Kielsen, in the lead.
Kim Kielsen and Frederik are actually very good friends and have been hunting together in Greenland. And he was also the one who took Christian with him on a fishing trip during their last visit to Greenland. With no mom and dad around, mind you, so that was quite an experience for Christian!

When you come from a country of some 60.000 and wish to promote your country for the first time in a land as large as Japan, it's pretty daunting! So the Greenlanders are most appreciative of the help they got from M&F and the visit has indeed been very well covered in the press in Greenland!

The visit took place at the perfect time, just as the cherry-trees begin to blossom, a thing that is very celebrated in Japan and even though M&F were very busy they were for once working exclusively as a pair and that must have made it easier. And they also had some time for a little sightseeing. Including the famous Shibuya crossing in Tokyo that has been compared to Times Square in New York, albeit a lot more crowded!
Even though the main focus was on Greenland and their products like sealskin and fish and also some Greenlandic culture thrown in here and there, there were other topics on the agenda as well.

M&F were taken for a tour in Tokyo Bay to see the preparations for 2020 Olympics. A pretty obvious thing as Frederik is member of the IOC.

But also the Danish version of the Australian Free From Bullying was introduced. That has, as you know, been implemented with very considerable success in practically all Danish schools and kindergartens and as such the concepts has been "exported" to a number of other countries, who have adopted the concept to suit their local needs. As bullying in schools, Ijime, is a huge problem in Japan, there was a considerable interest in that as well. In fact the daughter of the Japanese CP-couple, Princess Aiko, was at some point a victim of bullying herself. (*)

M&F had a good deal of personal contact with Imperial Family, that included Princess Takamado, who has visited Greenland herself and her daughter, Princess Tsuguko. Both ladies accompanied M&F during part of the visit. That included a recepetion at the Danish embassy, where the Japanese Princesses wore traditional kimonos while Mary wore a dress by the Greek designer Mary Katrantzou.

But M&F also met the Emperor and Empress and had lunch together. And pretty unusual it was an intimate lunch, without any courtiers from neither Denmark nor Japan present.
Later on M&F had dinner with Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako. CP Masako wasn't present at the photo-shoot though.
There was quite a lot of Japanese press present when the Imperial couple received M&F, because the Emperor has recently had a cold, but he seemed to be in fine shape.
The DRF and the JIF are actually pretty close personally and among the Japanese in general Frederik has a considerable status, since he was the first royal (the very first!) to visit the areas affected by the tsunami in 2011 - and that hasn't been forgotten.

M&F were also interviewed, but I'll post that in another post, because I'm beginning to exceed the word-limit in this post.

(*) In fact the Danish free from bullying concept is being exported commercially as well. To China in fact. They get a complete kindergarten and schools designed and built according to Danish design and principles, that includes something as novel as school playgrounds(!) and with teaching and handling the children after Danish principles. So all the Chines have to do is to get the keys, open the doors and move their children in. It's ironic that wile we in Scandinavia look to the Chinese school system to see what we can learn, more and more Chinese parents are interested in the Scandinavian school system!

Thanks, Roskilde & Polyesco :flowers::flowers:

Due to Easter BB has hit the streets today.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #14, 2015.
Written by our East Asia correspondent, Marianne Singer.

This was the first time Greenland promoted itself, independent of a Danish delegation although there were also Danish government ministers for the relevant ministries i.e. the Ministry of Greenland and the Ministry of Fishery. (Greenland is fully autonomous except in foreign affairs, defense and the courts and policing). So it was very much members of the Greenlandic Parliament who was in the forefront, with the head of the Greenlandic Parliement, Kim Kielsen, in the lead.
Kim Kielsen and Frederik are actually very good friends and have been hunting together in Greenland. And he was also the one who took Christian with him on a fishing trip during their last visit to Greenland. With no mom and dad around, mind you, so that was quite an experience for Christian!

The DRF and the JIF are actually pretty close personally and among the Japanese in general Frederik has a considerable status, since he was the first royal (the very first!) to visit the areas affected by the tsunami in 2011 - and that hasn't been forgotten.

thank you as always Muhler:flowers:
I didnt know about Christian going on this fishing trip. What an adventure.

The 2011 trip by Frederik was very well received. It was nice reading Princess Takamado mentioning him in her speech and thanking him.

A very nice trip. Hope to see them promote Greenland as well in the future

:previous: I think we will. The trip appears to have been a success for the Greenlanders in regards to exposure.

You will learn a lot more about Christian's fishing trip when I upload a summary of the interview tomorrow.
I need my beauty sleep though. :coffee:It's hard work drinking German beer and eating German sausages, :cheers: but somebody's got to do. One wouldn't want to insult one's hosts by declining to sample the local specialties. :innocent:

:previous: I think we will. The trip appears to have been a success for the Greenlanders in regards to exposure.

You will learn a lot more about Christian's fishing trip when I upload a summary of the interview tomorrow.
I need my beauty sleep though. :coffee:It's hard work drinking German beer and eating German sausages, :cheers: but somebody's got to do. One wouldn't want to insult one's hosts by declining to sample the local specialties. :innocent:

looking forward to it!
and do enjoy the beer and sausages;)

added:
another photo
Royal hysteria in Daikanyama #Denmark #Danish @tsutaya bookstore
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBKZmoVUQAABpDw.jpg

Last edited:
You are most welcome, Polyesco. :)

Here is the interview I told you about.

Summary of interview in Billed Bladet #13, 2015.
Interviewer Marianne Singer.

M&F of course say a lot of pleasantries about Japan but also a good deal about their relationship with Greenland and in particular what their children think of Greenland, now that they have experienced the country up close.

Mary said about Japan: "We have experienced that they (the Japanese) are incredible warm people, open and very curious. Tokyo is a huge city and one really can't fathom how big it is. Yet, here is so clean and pleasant... And then we have been to a fish market at 05.00 in the morning. It was a huge experience to see the world market up and running at five in the morning to sell tuna fish to all corners of the world". (Greenland hope to supply fresh products to market).
The way Japanese designers and manufactures worked with skin was also something that interested Mary and perhaps we in DK can be inspired and learn something from that.

Frederik said about promoting Greenland: "It's a fantastic exciting visit, because it's the first time Greenland is playing on a foreign field alone. But of course we support the whole initiative and offensive here, because it's a special market the Greenlanders wish to keep, especially in regards to seafood and produce of the sea. The Japanese market is qualitative choosy, that only want the best and most fresh and that some of the big Greenlandic seafood companies can supply....".

Frederik talks about his love for Greenland (lest anyone should be in doubt that one!): "The beautiful island Greenland. (*) An island that is very close to my heart. A place I return to as often as I can. And I can easily be portrayed as a tourist, but personally my family and I feel it more like returning to our second home".

Mary is also enchanted by Greenland and she can certainly understand her husband.

The whole family went to Greenland last summer and the children still remember that! .Have the children embraced Greenland?
F: "Yes, I certainly think so. It has put its mark on them in a good way and of course also more than they really are aware of. (**) It comes out in periods and of course we ask about it from time to time".
Mary added that their trip to Japan promoting Greenland was yet another opportunity for the family to remember their visit to Greenland.

Frederik talked about a special experience Christian had alone in Greenland, when he went fishing with the Greenlandic Head of the Parliament, Kim Kielsen, who is a friend of Frederik: "Kim Kielsen did have a couple of good hours with our son Christian alone in a little dinghy, while I was ashore with some of his nephews to shoot reindeer. That Christian won't forget either. He had a good afternoon".
M: "It was a big experience, he came home with big eyes".

Q: Kim Kielsen mentioned in one of his speeches with a twinkle in the eye that a worried mother waited while they were away?
Mary laughing: "It's a different sense of time they have in Greenland, than I as a mother has. But it went alright".
F: "In Greenland you throw away the clock when you go hunting". (So presumably Kim Kielsen and Christian were completely alone, with
no PET officers around).

Frederik said about Kim Kielsen who is a good friend and apparently a traditional hunter more than politician: "Yes, certainly. (About their good chemistry). Kim Kielsen is a very down to earth and especially a person close to nature. He is of course pleased to have had such a big experience over here, but he is really fond of the nature and to hunting and fishing. He and I had been to such a special experience last summer and you can just tell that when you have been together in the nature in that way with a Greenlander, then you have something special together".

Kim Kielsen said about Frederik: "We met for the first time in 2008 and our connection grows closer each time we meet".

(*) It is said that if you visit Greenland you either fall helplessly in love with the country, or you go stir crazy and flee. That is nothing in between!

(**) I think the trip to Greenland was just as much a dress rehearsal for M&F's next visit to Australia. As with Greenland we can expect the children to get an experience of being welcomed by lot of people who are genuinely pleased to see them and who talk to them in a way that is sometimes a bit difficult to understand. All that while going to a place that looks, smells and feels very different from Denmark.

(*) It is said that if you visit Greenland you either fall helplessly in love with the country, or you go stir crazy and flee. That is nothing in between!

(**) I think the trip to Greenland was just as much a dress rehearsal for M&F's next visit to Australia. As with Greenland we can expect the children to get an experience of being welcomed by lot of people who are genuinely pleased to see them and who talk to them in a way that is sometimes a bit difficult to understand. All that while going to a place that looks, smells and feels very different from Denmark.

:previous:thank you Muhler
It certainly beneficial that Mary fell in love with Greenland and not gone crazy ;). The kids looked like they enjoy themselves too.

and i do help the whole family does a trip to Australia :flowers:

I think we will see more F&M promotional trips of Greenland.
"Frederik said about promoting Greenland: "It's a fantastic exciting visit, because it's the first time Greenland is playing on a foreign field alone. But of course we support the whole initiative and offensive here, because it's a special market the Greenlanders wish to keep, especially in regards to seafood and produce of the sea. The Japanese market is qualitative choosy, that only want the best and most fresh and that some of the big Greenlandic seafood companies can supply...."

Last edited:
You are most welcome, Polyesco. :)

Here is the interview I told you about.

Summary of interview in Billed Bladet #13, 2015.
Interviewer Marianne Singer.

M&F of course say a lot of pleasantries about Japan but also a good deal about their relationship with Greenland and in particular what their children think of Greenland, now that they have experienced the country up close.

Mary said about Japan: "We have experienced that they (the Japanese) are incredible warm people, open and very curious. Tokyo is a huge city and one really can't fathom how big it is. Yet, here is so clean and pleasant... And then we have been to a fish market at 05.00 in the morning. It was a huge experience to see the world market up and running at five in the morning to sell tuna fish to all corners of the world". (Greenland hope to supply fresh products to market).

Thanks Muhler :flowers:
I have great respect for them during all these busy and exhausting official trips. Long flights from the end of the world to the other often within 3 days, jetlags and events from morning to night from they land to they leave again. And even wake up at 4 in the morning to went on private trips to the local attractions with the Greenlandic minister before the day's programme begin :coffee: They must be smashed after such a trip! No wonder Queen Margrethe can't do these visit any longer and the young Crown Princely Couple have taken over.

Frederik talked about a special experience Christian had alone in Greenland, when he went fishing with the Greenlandic Head of the Parliament, Kim Kielsen, who is a friend of Frederik: "Kim Kielsen did have a couple of good hours with our son Christian alone in a little dinghy, while I was ashore with some of his nephews to shoot reindeer. That Christian won't forget either. He had a good afternoon".
M: "It was a big experience, he came home with big eyes".

Q: Kim Kielsen mentioned in one of his speeches with a twinkle in the eye that a worried mother waited while they were away?
Mary laughing: "It's a different sense of time they have in Greenland, than I as a mother has. But it went alright".
F: "In Greenland you throw away the clock when you go hunting". (So presumably Kim Kielsen and Christian were completely alone, with
no PET officers around).

Such a nice little story. Surely a huge experience for Christian (while mum Mary has held her breath all the hours before her little son returned safe home). They are mothers just like us.

Last edited:
no PET officers around).

this story is just great. Mary was probably pacing and looking out the window on the Danneborg, and Frederik just leaning back saying "he's fine" :p

this story is just great. Mary was probably pacing and looking out the window on the Danneborg, and Frederik just leaning back saying "he's fine" :p

No, he was hunting reindeer, (no doubt with the phoned turned off) so Mary was alone with her worries. :frazzled:

Back
Top Bottom