Luxembourg State Visit to Japan: November 27-30, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prisma

Majesty
City
Bay Area
Country
United States
Their Royal Highnesses the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg to Visit Japan | Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan

1. His Royal Highness the Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg and Her Royal Highness the Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg will pay a State Visit to Japan from Monday, November 27 to Thursday, November 30, 2017.

2. During their stay in Japan, Their Royal Highnesses the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg will make a State Call on Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress of Japan. Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress will host a State Banquet in honor of Their Royal Highnesses the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess. Mr. Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan, and Mrs. Abe will hold a meeting with Their Royal Highnesses the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess and also host a dinner in their honor.

3. The Government of Japan sincerely welcomes the visit of Their Royal Highnesses the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess and hopes that the visit will further strengthen the friendly relations between Japan and the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.

Reactions: eya
I’m so happy to see two new state visits announced today:clap:.

I was getting a bit discouraged what with state visits getting postponed and cancelled all over the place this year.

Great News. What i find iteresting is that they are only now invited to a State Visit to Japan as Henri is Grand Duke since 17 years. The 3 new King Felipe, Willem-Alexander and Philippe where invited much earlier.

I’m so happy to see two new state visits announced today. ?

I recall that the Grand Duchess was unable to travel by airplane. This is quite a long-haul flight! I hope this means she is able to travel again.

:previous: I think she's fine now or the fear is no longer overwhelming. Presumably, the Grand Duchess went to Finland last year and Norway this year by plane.

Great News. What i find iteresting is that they are only now invited to a State Visit to Japan as Henri is Grand Duke since 17 years. The 3 new King Felipe, Willem-Alexander and Philippe where invited much earlier.

Fair point. That said, in economic and geopolitical terms, Luxembourg is hardly a major force.

Prisma said:
I think she's fine now or the fear is no longer overwhelming. Presumably, the Grand Duchess went to Finland last year and Norway this year by plane.

I suppose that using the Trans Siberia Express to Vladivostok and the ferry to Japan is not an option for the Grand Duchess. So the plane it is. Let's hope that the Grand Duchess found a way to deal with her fears indeed, there must be therapies for such a thing.

muriel said:
Fair point. That said, in economic and geopolitical terms, Luxembourg is hardly a major force.

Neither are Belgium or The Netherlands I suppose, but of course still somewhat larger than Luxembourg. Perhaps the state visit will see some interest from some of Japan's financial institutions that are considering a move to the EU27.

Last edited:
Neither are Belgium or The Netherlands I suppose, but of course still somewhat larger than Luxembourg. Perhaps the state visit will see some interest from some of Japan's financial institutions that are considering a move to the EU27.

According to IMF, Japan is the 3rd largest economy (after the US and China); Spain is the 14th largest and the Netherlands is not far behind them at the 18th spot on the ranking. Belgium is at 25 and Luxembourg at 76. The EU as a whole is second after the US (but not counted in the ranking).

GD Maria Teresa will not attend the state visit to Japan due to her fear of flying. Princess Alexandra will accompany GD Henri instead.

The Cour's agenda has been updated.

:sad:

ETA: Luxemburger Wort - Prinzessin Alexandra fliegt mit nach Japan

"The wife of the Grand Duke unfortunately did not manage to overcome her fear of longer flights despite years of effort."

Luxemburger Wort - Phobie de l'avion: la Grande-Duchesse n'ira pas au Japon

"The Grand Duchess will unfortunately not be able to participate in the state visit to Japan because of her air transport phobia, which has already been reported publicly in the past, despite the many efforts she has made to try to to overcome this anguish, the Grand Duchess deeply regrets not being able to make this long journey alongside the Grand Duke. "

Last edited:
GD Maria Teresa will not attend the state visit to Japan due to her fear of flying. Princess Alexandra will accompany GD Henri instead.

A pity, but great to see Princess Alexandra taking part in official business.

Sorry not to see the Grand Duchess, but wonderful to see Alexandra taking on more duties.

I was actually thinking that in 5-6 years we might see Princess Aiko take the same role with Emperor Naruhito, since Masako doesn’t seem able to do long foreign visits.

Last edited:
You know whenever somebody from little nation like Luxembourg does a state visit to a nation as big as Japan I was picture a mouse visiting an elephant for lunch or something. I hope the state visit goes well. ?

-Frozen Royalist

Looking forward to more photos :flowers:

Big event for Alexandra, accompanying her dad on a state visit.?

Thank you very much such detailed report of the visit!:flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers:
The visit is going well. It is great that Princess Masako is able to participate in the events.

I did not know until today that Alexandra is replacing her mother.I have read about GD Maria Teresa´s fear of flying , but did not know it is so serious. Very big event for Alexandra.
Thank you very much thank you for the links .

I can't remember that the Japanese court has ever before allowed such good close-up pics from State Banquets before. Especially the younger Princesses were usually only seen in blurred wide shots. These really good pics delight me, and I hope that they will keeps to this strategy in the future.

I'm not sure it's the IHA restricting photos versus the media focusing on the main royals or media not sharing all photos. Fortunately, Luxembourg's media is being generous. I'm surprised there isn't more of Princess Mako from the Japanese press as this could be one of her last state banquets.

More banquet photos at Großherzog Henri beim Galadinner des Kaiserhauses – die Fotos | Tageblatt.lu

Princesses Ayako and Hisako:
http://www.tageblatt.lu/wp-content/...apon_Gala_Palais_JCE_WEB_-8642-1-1068x712.jpg

Day 2: Tsukuba Space Center of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) in Ibaraki Prefecture and dinner hosted by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe

Getty Images, Asahi

Visite d’État de S.A.R. le Grand-Duc au Japon - Journée du 28 novembre 2017 - gouvernement.lu // L’actualité du gouvernement du Luxembourg

Luxemburger Wort - Luxemburg greift nach den Sternen

Speeches at the banquet:
Addresses by His Majesty the Emperor (2017) : Remarks by His Majesty the Emperor at the State Banquet in Honour of His Royal Highness Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg (November 27, 2017) - The Imperial Household Agency

IHA provided GD Henri's speech in English: PDF

ETA: Luxarazzi: Second Day in Japan: Train Excursion, Royal Recycling and More

Last edited:
Good summary of agreements signed or exchanges at the state visit.

Tangible results of Japan state visit - Delano - Luxembourg in English

More at Luxembourg and Japan Agree to Cooperate on Exploration and Commercial Utilization of Space Resources — SpaceResources // Luxembourg

Renforcement des liens financiers entre le Luxembourg et le Japon dans le cadre de la visite d'État de S.A.R. le Grand-Duc - gouvernement.lu // L’actualité du gouvernement du Luxembourg

Another visit to Japan is scheduled for January 2018 to promote the fund industry.

Audiovisual representatives and 3 animation companies promoted Luxembourg productions and renewed contacts made in 2014.

La production audiovisuelle luxembourgeoise fait sa promotion au Japon - gouvernement.lu // L’actualité du gouvernement du Luxembourg

GD Henri had a press conference about the state visit where he describes his special relationship with Japan, happy that Princess Alexandra accompanied him although sad GD Maria Teresa could not, most influenced by JAXA Space Center in Tsukuba, his role in the business environment, and assessment of Japan's space mining efforts.

Großherzog Henri: Das Japan-Interview | Tageblatt.lu (translation)

Luxemburger Wort - „Staatsvisiten sollen Türen öffnen“

Last edited:
L'entreprise pharmaceutique japonaise JCR annonce son implantation au Luxembourg - gouvernement.lu // L’actualité du gouvernement du Luxembourg
JCR Pharmaceuticals, a publicly traded Japanese company specializing in the research, development, manufacture and sale of pharmaceuticals, has chosen Luxembourg to install its new active ingredient manufacturing facility. This project represents a strategic investment for JCR, which aims to develop its enzyme-based therapeutic products worldwide, to which its proprietary J-Brain Cargo® technology for the passage of the blood-brain barrier is applied. -Encephalic, and strengthen its manufacturing capabilities for its new products under development.

[...] This company with more than 500 employees is constantly growing in Japan, with annual sales of more than 136 million euros.

The Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of the Economy, Étienne Schneider, met the management team of JCR Pharmaceuticals in Luxembourg and during his state visit to Japan in November 2017. Following these exchanges, the Luxembourg government and JCR Pharmaceuticals have now signed a Memorandum of Understanding on an industrial land right of land of the Ministry of Economy, located in the industrial area "Bommelscheuer" (municipality of Käerjeng).

[…]

Back
Top Bottom