Laws and traditions regarding wives, children, and concubines

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KathyMoore

Commoner
City
Irvine
Country
United States
Are Japanese royals allowed to use IVF (Invitro Fertilization) to conceive babies?

Or is this against some rules or traditions?

Thanks!

There is another thread on this in the Forum -- apparently CP Masako used IVF to have Aiko. Check the Japanese Royal Family threads.

Were the Japanese emperors/princes allowed to have multiple wives?

Were the Japanese emperors/princes allowed to have multiple wives?
(19th century or earlier)

If so, did any of the sons of the 2nd(or 3rd, etc...) wives
ever become emperors?

Thanks!

Last edited:
From what I know, Japanese emperors in the 19th century and earlier had a wife, the empress, plus concubines. Sons from concubines are allowed to reign if there are no sons of the Emperor and Empress. The last son from a concubine or what is better termed as a lady-in-waiting (not sure of the distinction between the two) who reigned was Emperor Taisho, the grandfather of Emperor Akihito. I think sons of the concubines, or at least the designated crown prince from a concubine, is considered as the empress' son.

Hope this answers your question, KathyMoore.

monica17 said:
Hope this answers your question, KathyMoore.

Thanks for that info!

Does the current Japanese law allow the emperor or price to have a concubine?

:)

Can Japanese princes/princesses marry their 1st or 2nd cousins?

Has this ever happened in the last couple hundred years?

Thanks!

KathyMoore said:
Thanks for that info!

Does the current Japanese law allow the emperor or price to have a concubine?

:)

I had read that there was talk of asking the CP to take a concubine in the off-chance that she'd give him a son, but I don't know if anything came of that.

Until Emperor Akihito, they were marrying first and second cousins constantly because they wanted thick bloodline for the royal family. Emperor Hirohito's wife was his first cousin.

KathyMoore said:
Has this ever happened in the last couple hundred years?

Thanks!

LOL I've been saying this, there were no male line/female line in the Japanese Royal Family because they marry each other... Uncles marrying their nieces, cousins marrying cousins...

Has any member of the Japanese royal family ever married a foreigner in the past?

Has any member of the Japanese royal family
ever married a foreigner in the past?

KathyMoore said:
Has any member of the Japanese royal family
ever married a foreigner in the past?

No offense, but you just made a thread asking this same question.

I've merged that thread into this one, since the topic overlapped with the topic of this thread.

What I would like to know is, is there any support from the Japanese people for their Crown Prince to have concubines until he fathers a son? Or for him to divorce Princess Masako so that he could remarry?

Personally I don't think the Crown Prince would do either, he seems very devoted to his wife and she to him. But with the IHA breathing down Crown Prince Naruhito's neck night and day for him to get a boy, (despite the birth of Prince Akishino & Princess Kiko's baby son) he might be forced into doing something this drastic.. :sad:

Re-creating the life of a 17th-century concubine | The Japan Times

Here is something to kind of briefly reference to establish the cultural significance of concubines at a glance.

What I would like to know is, is there any support from the Japanese people for their Crown Prince to have concubines until he fathers a son? Or for him to divorce Princess Masako so that he could remarry?

Personally I don't think the Crown Prince would do either, he seems very devoted to his wife and she to him. But with the IHA breathing down Crown Prince Naruhito's neck night and day for him to get a boy, (despite the birth of Prince Akishino & Princess Kiko's baby son) he might be forced into doing something this drastic.. :sad:

I don't know, but, he's got a wife and is heir apparent, if she wanted a concubine for him, she would be consort in the event he ascends throne, then what business is that of the public? A concubine wouldn't be Royalty and a concubine isn't a consort. Kind of like a consort would make tea a concubine could help pour it a consort could serve it a concubine could help clean it up, a concubine could live with them and help spin silk or help collect silk a consort could raise silk worms a concubine could help. That is not saying that is what they do, but it is a simple way to understand that a concubine doesn't have to be Levitical about it. As far as I understand it and that isn't saying much because I am just researching what I can right now.

Their in laws had a son who can hold title.

Princess Masako is a diplomat's daughter and the wife of a Prince. She was educated some in New York City, went to a Catholic school in 1970's Tokyo, the school was established by the Congregation of the Holy Infant Jesus in 1872 her Grandmother went to also and her Grandparents helped raise her, later she lived in Boston during senior high school and her father was a guest professor at Harvard, she later graduated high school as president of the national honor society, went to Harvard during trade tension with the United States on scholarship, living with host families, then went to France to attend Goethe Institut then graduating magna cum laude in economics.

So really, doesn't sound like a concubine has a place there in all that.

Him, he's that baby that was born at the palace in a barn inside the moat, with a happy childhood, played baseball, played with the children of the Royal Chamberlin, has bachelors has masters degrees, plays violin, likes history, appreciates conservation.

I really do not think that a concubine is something he would even consider seriously as a question about him having one or wanting one and if he has one, that is between he and his wife. I highly doubt and frankly couldn't seriously consider these two being interested in a concubine.

The family tree is big, yes, but, concubines? There are in the history concubines being mentioned, in the Japanese royal family, but in this day and age I do not see the proper place for a contributing concubine and surely not Levitican.

Last edited by a moderator:
Under the current legislation, a son born to a concubine would not have succession rights because legally he would be illegitimate. Japanese marriage laws do not allow for multiple partners, and the Imperial Household Law 1947 stipulates that only legitimate sons are in the line of succession. So even if the Crown Prince was thus inclined, which I very much doubt he is, the concubine solution is now a legal dead end.

Royal marriages reflect their time - The Japan News

[...]

Kazuko married in 1950 after being trained in housework for a little more than a year at the house of a former grand chamberlain for the Imperial family.

[...]

In 1952, Atsuko Ikeda, the fourth daughter of Emperor Showa, now 86, married Takamasa Ikeda, a rancher in Okayama Prefecture. Much attention was paid to the fact that Takamasa was the 16th head of the Ikeda family, which used to rule the Okayama domain in the Edo period (1603-1867). He passed away in 2012.

Takako Shimazu, the fifth daughter of Emperor Showa, married in 1960. “I want the person I chose to be seen,” 20-year-old Takako said at a press conference. The comment was considered bold.

Yasuko Konoe, the eldest daughter of Prince Mikasa, married Tadateru Konoe in 1966 while a student. The dates she went on with him in a car, and the fact that their wedding took place in a luxury hotel, became popular subjects of conversation.

In 1983, Masako Sen, the second daughter of Prince Mikasa, married Soshitsu Sen, who is younger than herself. Asked about the age gap at a press conference on the occasion of their informal engagement, she said shyly, “It’s not a problem because I’m still immature.”

[...]

Noriko Senge, the second daughter of Prince Takamado, married Kunimaro Senge in 2014. The first head of his family is said to have been the second son of Amaterasu Omikami, the sun deity and founder of the Imperial line.

“I feel a deep sense of destiny in the fact that this day has come after the passage of more than 2,000 years,” Kunimaro said.

[...]

The age gap between Masako and Soshitsu Sen was only 5 years. Geez, not much. If the genders were reversed, there wouldn't be any questions. Was there much comments about the 15 year age gap between Noriko and Kunimaro Senge? I don't recall.

Back
Top Bottom