Japanese Enthronement Celebrations: April - October 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you, Prisma, for all the information.
Btw, am I the only one who finds the dress code during enthronment ceremony rather confusing (white tie or morning coat for men, long or day dress for women)??

It´s a similar dress coat like at the dutch opening of parliament: white tie for the men and long dresses with hats for the ladies plus decorations.
We´ve seen this in the old days at the greek royal court at the national day, day of independence or for royal weddings and christenings.

Monaco: I guess their policy seems to be, it is nobody´s business who or if anyone from the princely family attends an event or not...:whistling:

On September 26th, the "Saiden-Nukiho-zen-Ichinichi-Oharai" pre-harvest ritual was performed to purify the Imperial envoys and farmers who will harvest rice for the "Daijosai" in Takanezawa, Tochigi and Nantan, Kyoto.
Photos: Sankei

On September 27th, the rice was harvested from the two locations in a ceremony called the "Saiden-Nukiho-no-gi."
Photos: Asahi, Asahi 2, Sankei

Rice Harvested for Emperor's "Daijosai" Rite | Nippon.com
[...] The "Saiden-Nukiho-no-Gi" ceremony at the "Saiden" rice paddy in Takanezawa, selected to grow rice on behalf of eastern Japan, or Yuki Province, began at 10 a.m. (1 a.m. GMT) and was attended by the prefectural governor, the town mayor and others. Makeshift "Shinden," which enshrines Japanese deities, and "Inanomiden," which stores the harvested rice, were built out of tents at the ceremony site.

The "Nukiho-shi," an envoy of the Emperor dressed in traditional attire, recited a Shinto ritual prayer on harvesting the rice.

The prayers were followed by the harvesting of the rice by paddy owner Takeo Ishitsuka, 55, and 10 people selected to gather in the crop. [...]

The Nukiho-shi then checked the state of the rice, and Ishitsuka and others placed it in the Inanomiden. The ceremony lasted around 50 minutes.
ETA: Imperial agency alters policy, discloses ceremonial hall site - The Japan News
[...]

Construction began in earnest after a ground-breaking ceremony July 26. The goal is to finish by the end of October. The project requires about 40 structures to be built in just three months. Building the three main structures involves traditional techniques, such as using logs with the bark still attached.

Contractor Shimizu Corp. brought in about 120 expert carpenters for shrines and temples from the Kanto, Tohoku and other regions to work under a foreman who was involved in repairing the Izumo Taisha shrine in Shimane Prefecture.

[...] The previous Daijosai ceremony was marred by activities by radical guerrilla groups opposed to the accession ceremony — a number of terrorist incidents occurred around the country, including mortar launches and arson.

The East Gardens were completely closed during the construction of the Daijokyu, and the three main structures were covered with special protective tents that could repel mortars. The names of the five contractors that took part in the project were not disclosed, and workers entered and exited the site in vehicles bearing the name of a fake company.

Due to improved public safety and other factors, the agency has limited the area of restricted access in the East Gardens to only part of the Honmaru area where the Daijokyu is being built.

The agency is actively seeking publicity, taking such steps as setting up panels with pictures near the fence around the site explaining the building of the Daijokyu and other matters to visitors. [...]

Tourism is another reason for the agency’s change in policy. About 390,000 people visited the East Gardens in 1989, but more than four times that number — about 1.65 million — came last year. Foreign tourists made up more than 40 percent of the 2018 visitors.

And with construction using a massive amount of taxpayer money, the agency is also seeking to win public understanding for the endeavor. Construction is expected to cost ¥957 million. [...]

“The ceremony is not something most people are familiar with, but I hope by viewing the construction they can understand the significance of the Emperor’s praying for abundant harvests,” a senior agency official said.

[...]

Last edited:
It´s a similar dress coat like at the dutch opening of parliament: white tie for the men and long dresses with hats for the ladies plus decorations.
We´ve seen this in the old days at the greek royal court at the national day, day of independence or for royal weddings and christenings.

Monaco: I guess their policy seems to be, it is nobody´s business who or if anyone from the princely family attends an event or not...:whistling:

The dresscode at Prinsjesdag is not white tie but jacquet. That means men in jacquet (morning suit with grey striped pantalon) and ladies in formal dress with hat. That formal dress can be long or short, to own insight.

The previous Daijosai ceremony was marred by activities by radical guerrilla groups opposed to the accession ceremony — a number of terrorist incidents occurred around the country, including mortar launches and arson.

I recall reading in other articles as well that the security threats at the time of the previous change of reign were graver than today's. Could anyone explain how the political or security climate has changed since 1989 to decrease the threat of terrorism?

The agency is actively seeking publicity, taking such steps as setting up panels with pictures near the fence around the site explaining the building of the Daijokyu and other matters to visitors. [...]

Tourism is another reason for the agency’s change in policy. About 390,000 people visited the East Gardens in 1989, but more than four times that number — about 1.65 million — came last year. Foreign tourists made up more than 40 percent of the 2018 visitors.

In view of the sporadic debates about the costs and separation of religion and state in the enthronement ceremonies, promoting the educational, historical, and financial benefits of the enthronement/monarchy to the public seems like a splendid idea.

The swedish royal court has updated to their calendar:

King Carl Gustaf and crown princess Victoria attend at the events on 22nd and 23rd October.
Kalender - Sveriges Kungahus

Last edited:
The swedish royal court has updated to their calendar:

King Carl Gustaf and crown princess Victoria attend at the events on 22nd and 23rd October.
Kalender - Sveriges Kungahus
That was unexpected. I wonder why the change from Queen Silvia to Crown Princess Victoria. Apparently a meeting she had scheduled regarding the Paralympics in Bonn on the 24th has been removed.

Last edited:
Queen Silvia will be tomorrow in New York at events with World Childhood Foundation and on 15-17th October in Beirut, Lebanon at events with Mentor Arabia. So she is travelling this month a lot.

The Danish royal house has not yet updated the agenda on its official website. But it seems that Crown Prince Frederik and Princess Mary will be present at the enthronement of Japan.

Last edited:
I hope Queen Silvia is OK.

The Queen is most likely ok but she is traveling a lot this autumn and Japan is a very long trip so she has probably offered Victoria to go instead. Victoria knows Naruhito very well so I'm sure they will have a lovely meeting :)

As The King King and The Crown Princess will be going, it will require separate aircrafts for safety reasons.

The Danish royal house has not yet updated the agenda on its official website. But it seems that Crown Prince Frederik and Princess Mary are enthroned.

The CP and Princess Mary are enthroned ? That is news to me !

I am afraid rumors about Queen Margrethe’s demise or abdication have been greatly exaggerated.

Last edited:
The CP and Princess Mary are enthroned ? That is news to me !

I am afraid rumors about Queen Margrethe’s demise or abdication have been greatly exaggerated.

Excuse me. What I wanted to say is that they will be present at the enthronement of Japan. It was a translation mistake ....

As The King King and The Crown Princess will be going, it will require separate aircrafts for safety reasons.

But is still interesting that they King is going with the Crown Princess instead of sending Victoria and Daniel.

But is still interesting that they King is going with the Crown Princess instead of sending Victoria and Daniel.
To me this seems to be a matter of Crown Princess Victoria being stand-in for her mother, as her meeting with the Paralympics Committee has been scratched from her agenda.

If they are indeed going to use separate aircrafts, the Crown Princess will end up flying on a commercial plane.

Margareta Thorgren, the director of the press department of the swedish royal court to Svensk Damtidning
- Yes, exactly, it is true that the plans were that the king and queen should have gone to Tokyo, says Margareta Thorgren.
- But the queen left her place to the crown princess. The reason is that Japan and Sweden have good relations, the royal couple were in Japan last year on an official visit. This is the third time the king is attending a change of throne in Japan, and it is natural that it is the crown princess who is participating with her father in the change of the monarch for the new generation.
Hovets ändring_ Victoria tar Silvias plats i Japan _ Svensk Dam

Margareta Thorgren, the director of the press department of the swedish royal court to Svensk Damtidning
- Yes, exactly, it is true that the plans were that the king and queen should have gone to Tokyo, says Margareta Thorgren.
- But the queen left her place to the crown princess. The reason is that Japan and Sweden have good relations, the royal couple were in Japan last year on an official visit. This is the third time the king is attending a change of throne in Japan, and it is natural that it is the crown princess who is participating with her father in the change of the monarch for the new generation.
Hovets ändring_ Victoria tar Silvias plats i Japan _ Svensk Dam
What an odd explanation. Besides odd it's also factually wrong unless the King was -20 years old during his supposed attendance at the enthronement ceremony of Emperor Hirohito.

If they are indeed going to use separate aircrafts, the Crown Princess will end up flying on a commercial plane.
All members of the Swedish Royal family often fly commercially so it wouldn't be anything extraordinary if she did. Though the King and the Crown Princess never fly on the same plane there are actually not one but two "Planes of State" so technically they could fly in one each.
According to the law regulating the use of these planes "Statsflygsförordning (1999:1354)" everyone, including the Royal family, using the planes reimburse the Swedish army for the costs. All travels are also climate compensated.

Announcement on the Ceremonies of the Accession to the Throne of His Majesty the Emperor - Public Relations Office of the Government of Japan
Ceremony of the Enthronement of His Majesty the Emperor at the Seiden (State Hall)

It is a ceremony in which the enthronement is officially proclaimed and the representatives from home and abroad express their felicitations. It will take place in the Imperial Court on Tuesday, October 22.

It is planned that the proceedings of the ceremony will be broadcast live on the government’s Internet TV channel.
On October 2nd, the IHA announced Daijosai details, Ise Grand Shrine visit, and other details.

November 14: ceremony starts at 6:30pm
November 15: ceremony starts at 0:30am
November 16, 18: "Daikyo-no-gi" court banquets at noon
November 21-December 8: The temporary complex “Daijōkyū” will be on display to the public

About 670 people will attend the Daijosai, some 230 less than the previous time.

Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako will visit Ise Grand Shrine in Mie Prefecture November 22-23 to report their enthronement.
Only the Emperor will ride in a carriage. The Empress is allergic to horses and will ride in a car.

Last time, Prince & Princess Akishino and Prince & Princess Takamado accompanied Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko to Ise Grand Shrine. Due to the decrease in members, Imperial family will not accompany Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako.

Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako reporting their enthronement to the Mausoleums of Emperor Jimmu and 4 previous emperors.

November 27: Emperor Jimmu in Kashihara, Nara Prefecture and Emperor Komei In Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture
November 28: Emperor Meiji in Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture
December 3: Emperor Showa and Emperor Taisho in Hachioji, Tokyo

Source: Sankei

I wonder when Masako developed a horse allergy. There are photos of her with horses and reports of her riding horses as therapy years ago.

ETA: I think there'll be more options to watch the enthronement such as NHK, Reuters Live, and the PM's YouTube channel, similar to ceremonies in April and May.

Last edited:
Yes, I wonder if horses are actually the issue, although I suppose it's possible that she has developed an allergy since then. It does happen. It's unfortunate optics to have the Emperor and Empress in different vehicles, IMO.

The King and Queen was scheduled to go but The Queen offered her place to The Crown Princess instead.

Victoria and Daniel usually do not do long trips together, unless it is an official visit, to always have one parent close to the children.

Last edited:
Magazine Jisin interviewed Imperial journalist Shinji Yamashita about the enthronement ceremony’s burden on Empress Masako. There will be little time to rest. Based on Heisei era’s enthronement schedule, Empress Masako faces an exhausting 18-hour day (5am - 11pm).

5am: Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako wake up

7am: Empress Masako leaves for Tokyo Imperial Palace, an hour before the Emperor. She’ll be washed, dressed, and coiffed for 2 court rituals. The traditional “osuberakashi” hairstyle takes 1 hour even with 3 attendants.

It’ll be past 9am when she’s ready for the court rituals in a white jūnihitoe, “osuberakashi” hair + golden ornaments, and hiougi fan. Afterward, she changes into plain clothes for a 40-minute lunch.

11:20am: start dressing for 1pm enthronement ceremony. It takes 80 minutes to put on the jūnihitoe. Empress Michiko’s weighed 16kg.

1:30pm: change into Western clothes for parade. Takes about 90 minutes to wash hair, change into robe decollete, style hair, etc.

Sources: Jisin 1, Jisin 2

Yamashita doesn’t say what happens between the parade and the banquet but maybe photos, greetings?

Japan to pardon half a million on occasion of Oct. imperial ceremony - Kyodo News+
Japan is expected to grant pardons to 500,000 to 600,000 petty criminals on the occasion of Emperor Naruhito's enthronement ceremony on Oct. 22, officials with knowledge of the plan said Wednesday.

The Cabinet of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will formally approve the plan in mid-October, the officials said, adding that the pardons will involve those found guilty of minor infractions at least three years ago and fined.

The amnesty is expected to reverse a temporary prohibition on violators qualifying for national licenses and will restore their civil rights.

[...]

Under Japanese law, five years must elapse before those who have been convicted and fined can sit exams to get national licenses. But the pardons will speed up the process.

Given that the pardons are expected to be granted regardless of criminal charges, election law violators are also likely to have their civil rights restored under the plan.

[...]

:previous:I recently reread Princess Chichibu's autobiography, and her description of the hair arrangement--both the putting up and then the cleaning afterwards--sounded both exhausting and very painful. In addition to the stressful aspects of the hair arrangement, the wearing of the junihitoe is going to be taxing. I'm sure Masako has been mentally preparing for this most important day for months, but I hope everything goes smoothly.

A lot of their ceremonial customs for an occasion like this sounds painful, exhausting and way over the top. Their becoming an Emperor and Empress, not being prepared for a funeral in a morgue.

A lot of their ceremonial customs for an occasion like this sounds painful, exhausting and way over the top. Their becoming an Emperor and Empress, not being prepared for a funeral in a morgue.

Most of it is associated with Japan’s state religion. I don’t see it changing as it is an integral part of their ancient culture.

Over the top? No more so than the ritual attached to British coronations, or for that matter, most royal weddings. Each culture has cherished and meaningful rituals that go along with significant, landmark events. The Japanese rituals may seem strange to some Western sensibilities, but they pack in thousands of years of traditions, and many, many layers of meaning: religious, cultural, and symbolic.

Edited to add: That sounded more abrupt than it was intended! I think most of the monarchies have some pretty intricate and exhausting ceremonial occasions, and gluing your hair into a structured 'do doesn't seem any more bizarre to me than a lot of those.

Last edited:
The dresscode at Prinsjesdag is not white tie but jacquet. That means men in jacquet (morning suit with grey striped pantalon) and ladies in formal dress with hat. That formal dress can be long or short, to own insight.

Yes, apart from that it looks very similar. That´s what I wanted to say...
And formal dresses of the royal ladies used at both "Prinsjesdag" and japanase enthronements are always long!

I think this adherence to tradition is wonderful. I love living heritage. The dottier the better:flowers:

Makes a pleasant change from much of the news these days.

This is absolutely fascinating!

Thank you to all, who have provided details and explanations. It is most appreciated. :flowers:

Also, Yamashita frets about the court rituals. Although Masako attended the ritual to report the enthronement and Daijosai dates on May 8, she has not attended the regular court rituals, instead worshipping at Akasaka Imperial Palace.

I assume the "osuberakashi" hairstyle uses a wig or hair pieces and maybe incorporates the person's own hair. Maybe the entire "osuberakashi" could be a wig to make dressing less burdensome for Masako.

You can clearly see the wig's outline in the photo below, click to enlarge. Hopefully the attendants do a better job of blending the hairline.
http://japan-forward.com/app/upload...a-Emperor-Naruhito-and-Empress-Masako-007.jpg

Junihitoe animation with English translation
Attaching the "hōkan" (golden hair ornament). The pins are more prominent in this demonstration
Junihitoe demonstration with a shortcut at 6:01 where a layer already has multiple robes/pleats.
Junihitoe demonstration without the shortcut. Just layer after layer.
US transportation sec. to attend imperial ceremony | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
The US government says Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao will visit Japan later this month to attend the enthronement ceremony of Emperor Naruhito.

[...]

The last time Japan held an enthronement ceremony, in 1990, the United States sent a vice president. Washington had initially made arrangements for Vice President Mike Pence to attend the October 22 event, but the plans did not come to fruition.
ETA: The Imperial Household Agency, Cabinet Office, Imperial Household Police, Tokyo Metropolitan Police, and Self-Defense Forces rehearsed the 4.6km enthronement parade route with a convoy of about 50 vehicles at 7am on October 6th.

Photos: Mainichi, Asahi

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom