Japanese Enthronement Celebrations: April - October 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: The post prior to that which you quoted likewise observed that Crown Princess Mette-Marit's pulmonary condition may be the limiting factor. I can't see how it is nitpicking.

I believe the nitpicking comment was not referring to Mette Marit and her condition, but that Camilla is not going and does not have a disease to blame for her non-attendance.:flowers:

I see, thank you for the clarification. But the original poster introduced the question and the response was a plausible answer to it.

That´s a pity...:ermm: I like the idea of CPs/cesses going to coronations abroad...!:sad:

I also like the idea of CPs going to coronations, sort of like CPs congratulating one of their CPs' club member who is "moving up the next level of reign".

Last edited:
Hopefully Prince Moulay Rachid and Lalla Oum Kelthoum or Crown Prince Moulay Hassan can represent Morocco.

I also like the idea of CPs going to coronations, sort of like CPs congratulating one of their CPs' club member who is "moving up the next level of reign".

The invitation has probably been extended to heads of state only. Heirs such as Haakon will be representing their respective heads of state and not attending in their own right.

The invitation has probably been extended to heads of state only. Heirs such as Haakon will be representing their respective heads of state and not attending in their own right.

Enthronements were traditionally always held in the presence of royal heirs, not sovereigns. We can always watch it in the Netherlands (yes, we had few exceptions at the last one, such as Monaco) or in Britain. In the old days it went that far that Kings and Ex-Kings even being present in town, didn´t attend the enthronement and sent a representative. In the UK for instance this was even extended to own family members as before Queen Mary, who broke the rule, Queen Mothers (titled Majesties themselves) never attended a british coronation.
That´s why it was something unheard of when in 1953 the Duke of Windsor, former monarch of the UK and the Empire, asked permission to attend his niece´s coronation! Of course he was NOT allowed. In the greek royal family there was no one of the royal couple´s children in 1953 over 18 - so Prince George and his wife Marie (Bonaparte) went. It would never had occured to King Haakon to attend the 1953 London coronation (like he didn´t 16 years previous), so Olav, Martha and their unmarried daughter Astrid attended. Sweden: The CP still a small boy, so his uncle Bertil attended. And so on and so on...

And heirs always "represent", that´s nothing new. Such as the monarchs do not attend as a private person, but as representatives of their respective countries.

Kings and Queens normally only attend in modern times when the heir is under aged. In Japan in 1990 there was also a mixture of monarchs and presidents and Crown Princes. So why CPcss Victoria, a middle aged married woman with a respectable consort, does not go to Japan although her parents did the job already 29 years ago and the date set for the ceremony so long known, is beyond me!
The Netherlands: In accordance with tradition the King should have sent brother Constantijn and Princess Laurentien.
Britain: I would have liked to see William an Catherine going to Japan instead of Charles as it slowly becomes a bit embarrassing for him to attend events like these where people much younger come into office he is waiting for so long....
My guess, why he is not accompanied by his wife this time, beside Camilla "not travelling well", is that they want to avoid media comparision of his attendance from 1990 with his 1st wife and pictures of the enthronement with Camilla (such as he could never visit the Taj Mahal with her - or even Camilla alone!).

Last edited:
Earlier in the thread, it was pointed out that the European “rules” about other monarchs not attending an enthronement or coronation are not followed in Japan. It seems monarchs are attending this event if they are still physically up to the travel, but if not, the heir is attending.

On September 6th, the Imperial Household Agency released footage of workers reassembling the Takamikura and Michodai thrones for the upcoming enthronement. The thrones were moved to Tokyo from Kyoto Imperial Palace last September for repairs.

https://cdn.mainichi.jp/vol1/2019/09/06/20190906k0000m040198000p/9.jpg
https://www.sankei.com/images/news/190906/lif1909060030-p1.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ED1gCumU0AYfD2i.jpg

It's lovely to have a rare look behind the scenes. I'm curious about what the atmosphere is like in the workroom on a daily basis.

Earlier in the thread, it was pointed out that the European “rules” about other monarchs not attending an enthronement or coronation are not followed in Japan. It seems monarchs are attending this event if they are still physically up to the travel, but if not, the heir is attending.

Not quite. At the last japanese enthronement both british and dutch Queens were still very fit, doing a lot of overseas trips year in and out, yet still sent their heirs (Willem-Alexander was just 23, still he represented his mother). I think Liechtenstein was also represented by the hereditary Prince, but not quite sure. The danish royal couple might have gone because both their sons were at the army and began their studies.

Last edited:
Not quite. At the last japanese enthronement both british and dutch Queens were still very fit, doing a lot of overseas trips year in and out, yet still sent their heirs (Willem-Alexander was just 23, still he represented his mother). I think Liechtenstein was also represented by the hereditary Prince, but not quite sure. The danish royal couple might have gone because both their sons were at the army and began their studies.

But for example Luxemborug was reprsented in 1990 by GD Jean and GD Joséphine-Charlotte. Don't know why they did not send henry and maria Teresa then. Will be the same this year only that apprently the Grand Duke will go alone. Are you sure there was anyone from Liechtenstein at all at the enthronement in 1990? And was Monaco represtned or was nobody there?

I said “this event” in 2019 —I was not commenting on attendees in 1990.

And Queen Elizabeth II for years has almost always sent a representative to foreign events (funerals, weddings, coronations)—usually Charles or Edward & Sophie

But for example Luxemborug was reprsented in 1990 by GD Jean and GD Joséphine-Charlotte. Don't know why they did not send henry and maria Teresa then. Will be the same this year only that apprently the Grand Duke will go alone. Are you sure there was anyone from Liechtenstein at all at the enthronement in 1990? And was Monaco represtned or was nobody there?

Prince Alois of Liechtenstein and Prince Albert of Monaco attended in 1990 according to a list I read from that enthronement.

I don't think it is at all relevant how things are customarily done in Europe when we are talking about a Japanese enthronement. I'm operating under the assumption that the Japanese court know their own customs, traditions, and protocol best, and if reigning kings and queens have been invited and choose to attend the enthronement, it obviously is correct Japanese protocol. The standards of European royalty really only apply to Europe.

I don't think it is at all relevant how things are customarily done in Europe when we are talking about a Japanese enthronement. I'm operating under the assumption that the Japanese court know their own customs, traditions, and protocol best, and if reigning kings and queens have been invited and choose to attend the enthronement, it obviously is correct Japanese protocol. The standards of European royalty really only apply to Europe.

This is not about how things are being done in Japan, but how foreign countries decide whom to send out as their representatives. Invited Monarchies and Republics are completely free to decide who they send and Japan really doesn´t care if the Queen of Denmark, f. instance, attends or her son and his wife.
So there would be no snub against Japan if the monarchies of the world would follow their own traditions (which, in this case, had their reasons), which most of them, obviously do not obey any longer - just as more and more gave up the concept of "the King is dead, long live the King!", which I find highly regrettable as it gave the institution a specific kind of dignity. But that´s another matter.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the Grand Duke Henri and his wife and other kings and Queens of Europa monarchies to the last enthronement
I think there will be kings or Queens attending the enthronement and specially, there will be the world rugby cup in september untill november , they could Watch the matchs of <rugby and attending the enthronement

I read somewhere that the Grand Duke Henri and his wife and other kings and Queens of Europa monarchies to the last enthronement
I think there will be kings or Queens attending the enthronement and specially, there will be the world rugby cup in september untill november , they could Watch the matchs of <rugby and attending the enthronement

In previous posts on the thread is information that many European monarchs have already confirmed their attendance at the enthronement. Prince Charles and Prince Haakon are the few heirs who are confirmed attending.

Japanese Enthronement Celebrations

Princess Charlene said in an South africa magazine interview that she will attend some rugby matches at the rugby world cup in Japan, perhaps she will attend the enthronement with Albert , it will be a miracle!

Princess Charlene said in an South africa magazine interview that she will attend some rugby matches at the rugby world cup in Japan, perhaps she will attend the enthronement with Albert , it will be a miracle!

Lets hope so. Otherwise it will be quiet boring if alle the mle royals (like Henri, Haakon and Charles) attend alone.

Lets hope so. Otherwise it will be quiet boring if alle the mle royals (like Henri, Haakon and Charles) attend alone.

Philippe, Willem Alexander and Carl Gustaf are to be accompanied by their wives.

The only European monarchies that have not yet confirmed their presence are Spain, Denmark, Monaco and Liechtenstein.

Philippe, Willem Alexander and Carl Gustaf are to be accompanied by their wives.

Yes but not the three i mentioned. In 1990 none of those who was married went alone.

It would be fantastic if she went.

Yes but not the three i mentioned. In 1990 none of those who was married went alone.

Perhaps in 1990, none of those wives had either serious health issues or difficulties in traveling multiple time zones over a short time frame.

While it would have been lovely to see the wives, it is understandable why they are not accompanying their husbands.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom