The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-11-2019, 10:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Some news about attendees at the enthronement ceremony on October 22:

Vatican: Cardinal Francesco Monterisi

https://twitter.com/VaticanNews/stat...28693580247040

China: Vice President Wang Qishan

China planning to send Vice President Wang Qishan to attend key ceremony for Emperor Naruhito in October | The Japan Times

United States: Vice President Mike Pence

Pence to attend enthronement ceremony | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News

Old 08-12-2019, 08:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Were members of other royal families also invited?

Old 08-12-2019, 06:12 PM
Majesty

The Prince of Wales will visit Japan on behalf of Her Majesty The Queen to attend the Ceremony of Enthronement of His Majesty Emperor Naruhito
https://twitter.com/ClarenceHouse/st...19134605500416
Old 08-12-2019, 06:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I had hoped his wife would accompany him to the enthronement, but there is nothing in this announcement to indicate the Duchess will do so..
Old 08-12-2019, 06:35 PM
Majesty

I believe Charles was there for the current emperor’s father’s enthronement.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Would be wonderful to see the Prince accompanied by the Duchess at the Ceremony.

16th of November,1528 : Birth of Jeanne d'Albret,Queen of Navarre
Old 08-12-2019, 07:11 PM
Majesty

Camilla doesn’t ‘travel well’ and where it’s only two days I guess she decided to stay home.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Camilla doesn’t ‘travel well’ and where it’s only two days I guess she decided to stay home.

Wonder how she will do that when they are King and Queen (or Princess Consort) and have to make State Visits abroad. They are usually also only 2-3 days.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

She will likely do the same. Japan is always a delicate destination for sensitive travelers. Maria Teresa gave it a pass too lately.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

The flight to Japan itself is no more taxing than flying to a lot of other destinations from Europe, so I think the issue must lie in the relatively quick turnaround. If the festivities only take place over a couple of days, there's not much recovery time for someone who is, after all, in her 70's. I understand Camilla choosing to opt out, but I am disappointed.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:18 AM
Serene Highness

She's been to Japan before. I really don't understand this excuse -- two days or not. JMHO.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
She's been to Japan before. I really don't understand this excuse -- two days or not. JMHO.
Its a c12 hour flight and an 8 hour time difference to cope with for a 48 hour trip. Quite a lot to cope with. That said, Camilla could spend a few days in Asia (Malaysia or Bali or someplace nice like that) before hand to cope witht he jet lag, before the official enthronement ceremonies.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
Sheesh. She's been to Japan 10 years ago ! It's not rocket science to understand that at 71 she does not feel well enough to endure a long flight ...
On a side note if the absence of the Duchess of Cornwall is confirmed, would be great to see her replaced, if nof represented, by the Duchess of Cambridge. Totally unlikely i know....
Old 08-13-2019, 01:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Its a c12 hour flight and an 8 hour time difference to cope with for a 48 hour trip. Quite a lot to cope with. That said, Camilla could spend a few days in Asia (Malaysia or Bali or someplace nice like that) before hand to cope witht he jet lag, before the official enthronement ceremonies.
I agree, and think that the enthronement is important enough for her to make that effort. She could spend a couple of days at a high end ryokan and feel downright perky for the actual ceremonies.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I agree, and think that the enthronement is important enough for her to make that effort. She could spend a couple of days at a high end ryokan and feel downright perky for the actual ceremonies.
I completely agree that an enthronement is an important and significant enough event for Camilla to make the trip.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I wish Duchess of Cornwall could attend the enthronement ceremony but I understand it's a long trip for 2 days, especially for a lady in her 70s. Maybe it's not possible for PoW and the Duchess to stay extra days due to other commitments.

I'd also love for Grand Duchess Maria Teresa to attend but her fear of flying will probably keep her at home... Maybe Princess Alexandra can step in again? Or, would Henri, Guillaume, and Stephanie be too many? From Akihito's 1990 enthronement, guests either attended solo or in pairs (with spouse or adult heir).
Old 08-13-2019, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Camilla is going to New Zealand in November, so probably two long flights in less than a month is too much for her. Charles and Camilla usually space their joint trips several months apart, he does do solo trips more often.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Are we going to see Princess Alexandra in Japan again? If Grand Duchess Maria Teresa does not accompany Grand Duke Henri it is likely that Alexandra will go in her place.
Or will Guillaume and Stephanie go?

I hope that Philip VI and Queen Letizia will be present at the enthronement.
I believe all European royal houses will be represented.

In May the Spanish site Vanitatis announced that King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia will be present at the enthronement on 22 October.
https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencial...uhito_1992138/
Old 08-13-2019, 07:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm happy to hear that. At least there will be some reigning kings and queens there.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:10 PM
Heir Apparent

I fully expect Willem-Alexander and Máxima to attend. However, they have a state visit to India October 14 -18, so not sure how their schedule would work. I guess they’ll fly to Japan on the 19th and have a couple of days rest.

From Belgium I would also expect the King and Queen, since the Crown Princess can’t go. For countries like Denmark, Sweden, Luxembourg, etc. I would think the CP couples would go. I guess Haakon will go alone.