The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-27-2019, 08:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
What caught my attention, however, was that the members of the Japanese government (?) , including PM Abe and his wife (?), who was wearing a traditional kymono, did not touch the Emperor and Empress at all (I mean , not even shook hands). They only bowed at a very considerable distance BTW by western standards. That is the Japanese way, which makes Letizia's and Maxima's Spanish warmth even more striking in comparison.

EDIT: You can see all royal guests greeting the imperial couple in the video below. I linked it from the moment the Prince of Wales came in, but Frederik and Mary came in much earlier (around 25:50).
https://youtu.be/w2s_hbTj0Wg?t=2830

BTW, maybe the British royal watchers here can explain why the Prince of Wales always does that fingerpointing thing when he is making small talk.
I think that´s just a typical feature he is not very well aware of himself. Son Harry is always gesticulating "wildly" when being interviewed.

When it comes to your remark about the PM and his wife not shaking hands with the imperial couple I recall that I have observed this with the british Queen during the receiving line at state banquets, too. At some point members of her court, just like ladies-in-waiting, aide-du-camps shake hands with the host but curtseyed (or bowed) to The Queen and, in the older days, to the D o Edinburgh, while almost at the same time walking by and not shaking hands with the Royals.
That "Kissing-the-emperors"-thing is pretty new. It just started with the last reign of Akihito when european Queens started to show their personal affection with Empress Michiko and ignored japanese court protocol. Nobody, not even foreign royal heads of state, would have dared to kiss old emperor Hirohito or his wife at an official capacity!
The same can be seen when european Royalty meets the Thai royal family. They never look at ease when being kissed or wrapped. Yes, they smile, but it also seems like being a literally foreign concept for them.

When I looked at Masako during all these welcoming scenes of the past week I thought she is the very first asian Royal who occured to me really enjoying being kissed on the cheek or hugged!

Old 10-27-2019, 01:03 PM
Majesty

The Princr of Wales indeed has the habit to wriggle in the pocket of his suit, to turn his ring and to point fingers. I think he is in essence a shy man and tries to find himself a posture. I noticed that he alo tries to set the tone, to take the initiative: it is a wonderful day, isn't it? Are you girls from this school indeed? How many items does this robot make? How splendid to see the good work. He seems more pro-active than King Felipe or King Willem-Alexander who are more: "Well, I am the visitor. Tell me eveythinf about it. I'm all ears for you". Having a pro-active attitude is often a way to keep control. I think Prince Charles has that from his father.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

What caught my attention, however, was that the members of the Japanese government (?) , including PM Abe and his wife (?), who was wearing a traditional kymono, did not touch the Emperor and Empress at all (I mean , not even shook hands). They only bowed at a very considerable distance BTW by western standards. That is the Japanese way, which makes Letizia's and Maxima's Spanish warmth even more striking in comparison.
I did notice that The King and Queen of Bhutan also retained a "respectful distance" when greeting the Emperor and Empress. They followed what I presume was a more Asian custom than the Europeans did.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent

The 3rd court banquet was held on October 29th and welcomed nearly 700 guests including members of the legislature, prefectural governments, and representatives from various fields.

Their Majesties and the Akishino family welcomed guests at the Houmei-Den (State Banquet Hall). At the end of the banquet, Their Majesties and Mikasa and Takamado princesses bid the guests farewell at the Shunju-no-Ma (Grand Hall).

Photos: Asahi, Mainichi, AP Images

Old 10-30-2019, 03:22 PM

Empress Masako continues to delight with her smile . I have great hopes that she is finally coming into her own after such a difficult time . She and Emperor Naruhito are a great team .
Old 10-30-2019, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post

When I looked at Masako during all these welcoming scenes of the past week I thought she is the very first asian Royal who occured to me really enjoying being kissed on the cheek or hugged!

I undertand they are Masako's friends and were genuinely happy for her after all she's been through, but, still, I think Letizia and Máxima were over the top with their kissing, hugging and touching. I believe Mary and Mathilde struck a better balance.

Victoria actually looked a little bit nervous to me, as I said before, and seemed colder/more distant. Mary was deferential, but warm , and Mathilde seemed to engage in a really gentle kind of conversation. At least those are the vibes I get from the video and the body language.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:09 PM
Heir Apparent

My guess is that Masako is just 'better' friends with at least the Dutch royals (I don't really know anything about her relationship with the Spanish royals - the greeting seems to suggest they know each other quite well too). After all, her parents lived in the Netherlands, they spent a holiday in the Netherlands at Het Oude Loo, she even attended Willem-Alexander's inauguration. So it makes sense that Máxima is more at ease than the royals Masako also knows but seems less intimate with. Whether this was the appropriate occasion is debatable.

I also liked Willem-Alexander's wink before they moved forward. It seemed to be directed at the emperor (whom he has known quite well from his UN work as well), so I guess the couples get along very well.

I don't agree that Victoria seemed more distant; she indeed seemed very aware of her father being more senior than her but she also clearly made eye contact in a 'joyful way' (if you understand what I mean) before walking up.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Kings of Belgium, Netherlands, Belgium , Sweden and Grand Duke of Luxembourg did "the baise main" but Prince Charles no , just a bow. Why ?
Old 10-31-2019, 03:28 AM
Heir Apparent

On October 30th, farmers delivered rice and millet to the Imperial Household Agency for the Daijosai ceremony next month. The IHA will buy 1.5 kg of milled rice from 47 prefectures and 750 grams of millet from 25 prefectures. About half were delivered this day. Other goods such as Hokkaido kelp and Kagoshima sweet potato will be delivered on November 12.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:26 AM
Nobility

Daijosai ceremony

I had to google it:"The Daijosai is performed by a new emperor once during his reign. The emperor will offer newly harvested rice to his imperial ancestors and the deities of heaven and earth, while also consuming the rice himself, and pray for peace and abundant harvests for the country and its people."
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...ccession-rite/

"Emperor Naruhito, who acceded the throne on May 1, must take part in a series of rituals accompanying the succession, including the Great Thanksgiving Ceremony, known as Daijosai, on Nov. 14 and 15." (ibid.)

So, it is a mixture of Thanksgiving and Honoring the ancestors.

Are there annually held Thanksgiving cermonies by the Emperor too?
Old 10-31-2019, 10:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post

I had to google it:"The Daijosai is performed by a new emperor once during his reign. The emperor will offer newly harvested rice to his imperial ancestors and the deities of heaven and earth, while also consuming the rice himself, and pray for peace and abundant harvests for the country and its people."
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...ccession-rite/

"Emperor Naruhito, who acceded the throne on May 1, must take part in a series of rituals accompanying the succession, including the Great Thanksgiving Ceremony, known as Daijosai, on Nov. 14 and 15." (ibid.)

So, it is a mixture of Thanksgiving and Honoring the ancestors.

If you read this thread from the beginning there is extensive discussion of all of the ceremonies, and useful links.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post
[...]

Yes, normally the Niiname-sai is held in November. The Daijo-sai replaces the Niiname-sai this year due to the accession of Emperor Naruhito.

List of main ritual ceremonies of the Imperial Palace - The Imperial Household Agency

The 4th and last court banquet was held on October 31st.

Getty Images

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4TEMaIlb1B/
https://twitter.com/asahi_photo/stat...34041207345152

Screenshots
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIQrE5WXsAEMjtE.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIQtoP8XUAATQH6.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIQtoP5XsAE5sVg.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIQtoP7XYAAekIr.png
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIQtoP9WsAEKY36.jpg

Japan Holds 4th Banquet to Celebrate Emperor's Enthronement | Nippon.com
Quote:
The final banquet was attended by 691 guests, including 249 ambassadors to Japan and their spouses from 153 countries and international organizations as well as leading figures from various fields.

Together with other Imperial Family members, the Emperor and Empress Masako talked with guests at the "Shunju-no-Ma" room first and then with guests at the "Homeiden" state banquet hall.
Emperor Naruhito, Empress Masako, Crown Prince Akishino family, and Princess Hanako welcome guests at Shunju-no-Ma.

Mainichi video

Emperor Naruhito, Empress Masako, Princesses Nobuko, Akiko, Yoko, Hisako, and Tsuguko welcome guests at Homei-den.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:01 PM
Heir Apparent

This video (posted on the Danish Kongehuset-Instagram) was probably already shared but if not, it's a short clip showing how even crown princess Mary seemed impressed.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:30 AM
Heir Apparent

On November 6th, Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako rehearsed the Daijosai ceremony at the Imperial Palace. They wore traditional dress and confirmed the proceedings at the Daijosai structure in the East Garden. [Sankei]

Arrival photos: AP Images
Old 11-08-2019, 01:21 AM
Heir Apparent

On November 8th, Emperor Naruhito dispatched Imperial messengers to Ise Grand Shrine in Mie Prefecture to report the Daijosai ceremony will be held and to make offerings.

https://www.sankei.com/images/news/1...1080025-p1.jpg

ETA: Police check Imperial procession route for Sunday | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
Quote:
[...] About 50 people made safety checks on the Aoyama-dori street on Thursday. They made sure no suspicious objects were placed. Police dogs capable of detecting explosives sniffed trees and plants along the road.

The participants also distributed leaflets that give advice for those wishing to see the procession.

[...]

On the day of the procession, Tokyo police plan to deploy 26,000 officers, including 3,000 dispatched from police departments across the nation.

An official in charge says traffic controls, vehicle inspections and baggage checks may give trouble to local residents, but he asks for their understanding and cooperation.

[...]
Old 11-09-2019, 07:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako hold lanterns during the National Festival to Celebrate the Throne of New Emperor at the Imperial Palace at night on 9 November in Tokyo. Marching bands, regional festival dancers, musicians, a boy band performed at the festival to celebrate Emperor Naruhito's enthronement held at the Imperial Palace Square.

https://www.belgaimage.be/#/gallery/6775929

https://www.gettyimages.es/search/2/...this_event_adp
Old 11-09-2019, 02:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks eya!

According to officials, Princess Aiko watched the national festival from the main palace gate.

More galleries/articles: Asahi, Mainichi, Sankei

Emperor "deeply appreciates" celebration of enthronement - Kyodo News
Quote:
[...]

The emperor and empress stood on a stone bridge and applauded the performance. About 30,000 people, with many waving Japanese flags, attended the evening event, according to organizers.

[...]

In his remarks, the emperor also referred to recent disasters such as Typhoon Hagibis, saying major damage from them "has seriously hurt my heart."

"I sincerely hope restoration work will progress, and that people affected by the disaster will return to a life in which they feel secure as soon as possible," he said.

[...]
Thousands at People's Parade Celebrate Japan's New Emperor | JAPAN Forward (includes photo gallery)
Quote:
[...] Then, in the presence of the imperial couple, came the highlight of the evening’s celebration: “Ray of Water,” a 13-minute performance composed for the occasion of the enthronement of the Emperor. The song was performed by some of Japan’s most famous artists, including pianist Nobuyuki Tsuji, who is visually impaired.

The first and second parts of the song were music without lyrics. Then heartthrob J-pop band ARASHI appeared to sing the lyrics in the third part, called “Journey to Harmony,” with the full backing of the orchestra and a children’s choir. The performance was so powerful, it moved Empress Masako to tears, as caught by TV cameras. [...]
Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako's arrival

Emperor Naruhito's speech

Arashi performs “Journey to Harmony," written by playwright Yoshikazu Okada and composed by Yoko Kanno, best known for anime and game soundtracks. The popular group will cease activities in 2020.

The full celebration
Old 11-09-2019, 09:37 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks, Prisma. I haven't finished watching the celebration, but from what I have seen it looks to have been a gorgeous, joyous, stunning day of festivities! What a difference from the tradition-conscious and serious enthronement ceremonies. I can see why the Empress was moved to tears and almost half a million people applied for tickets.

Will the parade today be livestreamed?
Old 11-10-2019, 12:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Japanese Enthronement Celebrations: April - October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Thanks, Prisma. I haven't finished watching the celebration, but from what I have seen it looks to have been a gorgeous, joyous, stunning day of festivities! What a difference from the tradition-conscious and serious enthronement ceremonies. I can see why the Empress was moved to tears and almost half a million people applied for tickets.

https://www.reuters.tv/l/PZiA
https://youtu.be/4_evAY074O8
https://youtu.be/tqbap5fjO4Q
Old 11-10-2019, 03:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post

Eh... thinking about the investiture of King Willem-Alexander it were three sunny, joyous and vibrant April days. Thinking about the investiture of King Felipe: it was remarkably joyous, with only the Oath ceremony itself in utmost formality. Even in lukewarm Belgium there was a festive feeling around the investiture of King Philippe. If there were tradition-conscious and serious enthronement ceremonies then it was exactly in Japan, where the Emperor even had to "mate" with the Goddess Ameratsu.