Japanese Enthronement Celebrations: April - October 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Emperor Naruhito, Empress Masako and the Imperial family attended general public greetings on May 4 at the Imperial Palace.

Hourly from 10am to 3pm

1st - 3rd appearances: adult Imperial family only
4th - 6th appearances: Emperor Naruhito, Empress Masako, Crown Prince couple, Princesses Mako & Kako

Princess Yuriko only attended the 1st appearance.
Prince Hitachi and Princess Hanako attended the 1st and 2nd appearances.

https://twitter.com/hoshitaku_0729/status/1124529862167777281

This tweeter got great photos of the Takamado and Mikasa princesses
https://twitter.com/Uechiline/status/1124537481213333505
https://twitter.com/Uechiline/status/1124543499951431681

Photos: Getty Images, Mainichi, Asahi, Sankei

Japan's emperor greets 140,000 well-wishers in 1st public appearance - The Mainichi
Japan's Emperor Naruhito greeted over 140,000 ecstatic well-wishers at the Imperial Palace on Saturday, expressing his hope for world peace in his first public appearance since his enthronement earlier this week.

"I sincerely hope for the further development of our nation, going hand in hand with other countries to pursue world peace," said the 59-year-old, accompanied by his wife Empress Masako, wearing a yellow dress and hat, and other members of the imperial family.

[...]
Naruhito calls for world peace in his first public appearance: The Asahi Shimbun

[...] The Imperial Household Agency opened the gate to the Imperial Palace at 9:10 a.m., 20 minutes earlier than scheduled, as an estimated 50,000 people were already waiting in line to glimpse the successor of Emperor Emeritus Akihito.

[...]

The temperature at the palace grounds reached 24.8 degrees around noon, the same level as in early June.

According to the Imperial Guard Headquarters, 121 people were treated for symptoms of dehydration and five were rushed to a hospital. But they were not in a life-threatening condition.
ANN video got everyone at the 1st appearance! Princesses Tsuguko and Hisako look fabulous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebTz8pEmCfw
Video of 3rd appearance. Mikasa and Takamado princesses on same side. Hitachi couple and Princess Yuriko did not attend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOJiSXmBPGs
More videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihits1j4_D8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws1CwuQet_k

Last edited:
God bless Naruhito and Masako. They are a beautiful couple. I hope their rule will be peaceful and Masako can finally relax as an empress.

Sorry but I am unable to resist to say that Hisako is the treasure of this family. A true asset. :)

Some more photos of the May 4 public greetings:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxFHqoKnyOG/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxCCs5jga8A/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxEvt6Whd27/

On May 13th, the IHA will conduct the "Saiden-Tentei-no-gi" ceremony where turtle-shell divination will select 1 prefecture each from the Yuki region (Eastern Japan) and Suki region (Western Japan) to cultivate rice for the Daijosai ceremony in November. The agency has procured 8 turtle shells for the ritual.

Rice from Akita and Oita Prefectures were selected for Emperor Akihito's Daijosai. Shizuoka, Nagano and Niigata Prefectures where considered East Japan during the Heisei era.

Showa and Taisho eras divided East and West around Kyoto based on Apostolic Ordinance. Shiga and Fukuoka Prefectures provided rice for Emperor Showa's Daijosai; Aichi and Kagawa Prefectures provided rice for Emperor Taisho's Daijosai.

The Meiji era divided East and West from Tokyo. Kai (Yamanashi Prefecture) and Awa (Chiba Prefecture) provided rice for Emperor Meiji's Daijosai.

Sources: Jiji, Jiji2

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D6RBnUKUYAAF3RR.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D6RBowyUUAAUfF7.jpg

Last edited:
Turtle divination conducted ahead of key imperial succession rite in Japan - Kyodo News+
[...]

In the "Saiden Tentei no gi" ritual at the Imperial Palace, diviners observed the cracks that show up on heated turtle shells and selected two prefectures -- Tochigi from eastern Japan and Kyoto from western Japan -- that will supply crops for the upcoming "Daijosai" thanksgiving ceremony in mid-November.

[...]

The Imperial Household Agency said it has had prepared the carapaces of three green turtles from the Ogasawara island chain in the Pacific, about 1,000 kilometers south of Tokyo, to create eight pieces for the divination rite, held for the first time in 29 years.

[...]

The shells were shaped to measure 24 centimeters in length and 15 cm in width, with a thickness of 1 millimeter. Japanese bird cherry is used as firewood.

[...]

With artisans who worked on preparing the turtle shells in the wake of the previous era change having either passed away or retired, the role went to Tokyo-based tortoiseshell craftsman Takao Morita.

"I had to learn through trial and error as it was my first time (making them)," the 68-year-old said.

Morita received a request from the agency around March last year [...]

[...]

"It differed from my usual work, but I thought I could do it," Morita said.

With the agency not giving any specific instructions, he looked through old documents to research the shells. He crafted the bones into elongated pentagons and carefully shaved the pieces with a machine, creating a number of prototypes.

With Morita having to work on the special order at the same time as his usual business, he only fully began processing the shells from this year. He managed to deliver the final pieces to the agency in April amid a growing celebratory mood for the era change, but said he did not feel nervous undertaking the task.

"I worked carefully with each individual piece," the craftsman said. "Although it was the same day-to-day operation, I felt a weight left my shoulders after they were delivered."

[...]

Some, however, have questioned the significance of the fortune-telling tradition.

"No one in this modern day believes that it can really determine (the prefectures)," the late Shinobu Kobayashi, who served as a chamberlain for Emperor Hirohito, posthumously known as Emperor Showa, wrote in his diary.
Divination ceremony for Imperial rice fields - News - NHK WORLD - English
[...]

The chief ritualist, or Shotencho, carried a box, or "yanagibako," into the area in front of the sanctuary.

He used a tool to make a fire to heat a turtle shell in an ancient form of divination called "kiboku."

Based on cracks that appeared on the shell, one prefecture was chosen as the Yuki, or eastern region, and another as the Suki, or western region.

[...]

Last edited:
Gov't decides on route of Oct. parade to celebrate imperial couple - The Mainichi
[...] The open motorcade is expected to take 30 minutes to drive 4.6 kilometers through the capital on Oct. 22 from the Imperial Palace to the Akasaka Palace to be cheered by the public.

The route, to be taken by a convertible version of Toyota Motor Corp.'s Century luxury sedan, will differ slightly from the one for former Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko when he ascended the throne in 1990.

[...]

The motorcade will include Crown Prince Fumihito accompanied by his wife Crown Princess Kiko, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga among others.

[...]
Did the crown prince, PM, and Chief Cabinet Secretary accompany Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko's enthronement parade?

Japanese emperor's succession rite to follow precedent despite controversy - Kyodo News+
[...]

In the "Sokuirei Seiden no Gi" starting at 1 p.m. on Oct. 22, the emperor will give a speech from a 6.5-meter-high canopied throne, known as the Takamikura, and Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will deliver a "yogoto" congratulatory message and lead guests in three "banzai" cheers to wish for the emperor's longevity.

[...]

Emperor Naruhito will wear a dark orange robe called "Korozen no goho," the design of which dates back to the ninth century and is only worn by emperors during important ceremonies. Abe will be dressed in a tailcoat.

Following the 30-minute ritual, the emperor and Empress Masako will parade in the capital in a convertible luxury sedan for around 4.6 kilometers from 3:30 p.m. and take part in four banquets to be held on the same day and three other days.

The government is considering holding the parade around Oct. 26 instead if it rains on the planned date.

[...]

The government also decided on Thursday it will put the Takamikura on public display for 20 days each at the Tokyo National Museum between December and January and at the Kyoto Imperial Palace in March free of charge.
The Takamikura and Michodai thrones will be exhibited for free:
- December 22-25 and January 2-19 at Tokyo National Museum
- March 1-22 at Kyoto Imperial Palace

Court banquets on October 22, 25, 29, 31 for an estimated 2,600 guests. The banquets on October 29th and 31st will be served buffet style.

Last time, foreign ambassadors to Japan met the Emperor but that won't happen this time.

Sources: Sankei, Mainichi

ETA: Schedule for accession parade through Tokyo set on Oct. 22: The Asahi Shimbun

http://www.asahicom.jp/ajw/articles/images/AS20190621002750_comm.jpg

Last edited:

In principle I can comprehend the controversy, but following years of the emperor emeritus visibly pleading with the government to be allowed to abdicate, I doubt anyone living in Japan is unclear on where power rests, no matter who gives the address and so on.

Court banquets on October 22, 25, 29, 31 for an estimated 2,600 guests. The banquets on October 29th and 31st will be served buffet style.

Last time, foreign ambassadors to Japan met the Emperor but that won't happen this time.

Sources: Sankei, Mainichi

I wonder why the alteration eliminating the foreign ambassador meetings. Is the concept to revert the focus to Japan, like the nontraditional decision to derive the new era name from Japanese literature?

A buffet sounds more informal than I expected.

Thank you for the update! ?

:previous: In general, the organizers are scaling back to reduce the burden on everyone although I suspect Masako's health is a huge consideration. Emperor Akihito's 1990 enthronement was packed with 7 sit-down banquets over 4 consecutive days, garden party, Daijō-sai events, and Ise Grand Shrine visit all in November.

I'm not sure what "meeting ambassadors" means. Meeting all ambassadors in a group or individually (which would be a marathon of meetings)? Or a greeting like New Year's Reception where each ambassador+spouse pair bows? All options could negatively affect Masako's condition.

Besides last year's autumn garden party and the recent reception for the National Tree Planting festival, I don't remember Masako participating in large gatherings. She also did not attend ambassadors' greetings at New Year's Reception in January.

On July 15th, hemp was harvested in Mima City, Tokushima Prefecture for a special cloth called "Aratae" to be used at the Daijosai ceremony. Yarn will be spun from fibers in August, then sent to Yamazakiimube Shrine in Yoshinogawa, Tokushima in September to be woven into a kimono.

ETA: The kimono was not confirmed in ancient writings since the Nanboku-chō period aka "South and North courts period" (1336 to 1392) and long discontinued until the grandfather of current Awainbe family direct descendant Nobuo Miki (82) offered a kimono for Emperor Taisho's Daijosai ceremony. The Awainbe family have cultivated the hemp for this purpose for centuries. [Kyodo]

ETA: The hemp was planted in April and the kimono will be offered to kami (gods/spirits) at the Daijosai. [Asahi]

Photos/Sources: Sankei, Asahi

Harvest ceremony of hemp for enthronement | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News

On July 26th, construction began on the Daijosai structures in the Imperial Palace's East Gardens. Priests performed rituals and made offerings. Some 30 buildings are scheduled to be completed in October.

The East Gardens will remain open to the public during construction with the area fenced off. Security will be revised, probably additional bag checks, increase patrols, and surveillance to guard against arson and other mischief.
Source: Sankei

Photos: Mainichi

Last edited:
Were members of other royal families also invited?

I had hoped his wife would accompany him to the enthronement, but there is nothing in this announcement to indicate the Duchess will do so..

Last edited:
I believe Charles was there for the current emperor’s father’s enthronement.

Would be wonderful to see the Prince accompanied by the Duchess at the Ceremony.

Camilla doesn’t ‘travel well’ and where it’s only two days I guess she decided to stay home.

Camilla doesn’t ‘travel well’ and where it’s only two days I guess she decided to stay home.

Wonder how she will do that when they are King and Queen (or Princess Consort) and have to make State Visits abroad. They are usually also only 2-3 days.

She will likely do the same. Japan is always a delicate destination for sensitive travelers. Maria Teresa gave it a pass too lately.

The flight to Japan itself is no more taxing than flying to a lot of other destinations from Europe, so I think the issue must lie in the relatively quick turnaround. If the festivities only take place over a couple of days, there's not much recovery time for someone who is, after all, in her 70's. I understand Camilla choosing to opt out, but I am disappointed.

She's been to Japan before. I really don't understand this excuse -- two days or not. JMHO.

She's been to Japan before. I really don't understand this excuse -- two days or not. JMHO.

Its a c12 hour flight and an 8 hour time difference to cope with for a 48 hour trip. Quite a lot to cope with. That said, Camilla could spend a few days in Asia (Malaysia or Bali or someplace nice like that) before hand to cope witht he jet lag, before the official enthronement ceremonies.

Sheesh. She's been to Japan 10 years ago ! It's not rocket science to understand that at 71 she does not feel well enough to endure a long flight ...
On a side note if the absence of the Duchess of Cornwall is confirmed, would be great to see her replaced, if nof represented, by the Duchess of Cambridge. Totally unlikely i know....

Its a c12 hour flight and an 8 hour time difference to cope with for a 48 hour trip. Quite a lot to cope with. That said, Camilla could spend a few days in Asia (Malaysia or Bali or someplace nice like that) before hand to cope witht he jet lag, before the official enthronement ceremonies.

I agree, and think that the enthronement is important enough for her to make that effort. She could spend a couple of days at a high end ryokan and feel downright perky for the actual ceremonies.

I agree, and think that the enthronement is important enough for her to make that effort. She could spend a couple of days at a high end ryokan and feel downright perky for the actual ceremonies.

I completely agree that an enthronement is an important and significant enough event for Camilla to make the trip.

I wish Duchess of Cornwall could attend the enthronement ceremony but I understand it's a long trip for 2 days, especially for a lady in her 70s. Maybe it's not possible for PoW and the Duchess to stay extra days due to other commitments.

I'd also love for Grand Duchess Maria Teresa to attend but her fear of flying will probably keep her at home... Maybe Princess Alexandra can step in again? Or, would Henri, Guillaume, and Stephanie be too many? From Akihito's 1990 enthronement, guests either attended solo or in pairs (with spouse or adult heir).

Camilla is going to New Zealand in November, so probably two long flights in less than a month is too much for her. Charles and Camilla usually space their joint trips several months apart, he does do solo trips more often.

Last edited:
Are we going to see Princess Alexandra in Japan again? If Grand Duchess Maria Teresa does not accompany Grand Duke Henri it is likely that Alexandra will go in her place.
Or will Guillaume and Stephanie go?

I hope that Philip VI and Queen Letizia will be present at the enthronement.
I believe all European royal houses will be represented.

In May the Spanish site Vanitatis announced that King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia will be present at the enthronement on 22 October.
https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...ronizacion-coronacion-japon-naruhito_1992138/

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: I'm happy to hear that. At least there will be some reigning kings and queens there.

I fully expect Willem-Alexander and Máxima to attend. However, they have a state visit to India October 14 -18, so not sure how their schedule would work. I guess they’ll fly to Japan on the 19th and have a couple of days rest.

From Belgium I would also expect the King and Queen, since the Crown Princess can’t go. For countries like Denmark, Sweden, Luxembourg, etc. I would think the CP couples would go. I guess Haakon will go alone.

Back
Top Bottom