Japanese Enthronement Celebrations: April - October 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was Princess Aiko really prevented from attending her own parents enthronment only because she was just 2 months under 18? She could have attended only the enthronement and the tea party - but not at all is rather odd....
Coming-of-age in Japan is currently 20. That will change to 18 in 2022. However, most young people seem to prefer 20 for adulthood.

Most young people in Japan say coming-of-age ceremonies should continue to be held for 20-year-olds | The Japan Times
Over 70 percent of people aged between 16 and 22 in Japan believe official coming-of-age ceremonies should continue to be held for those aged 20, a Cabinet Office survey has shown, as the government prepares to lower the age of adulthood to 18 in April 2022.

While no legal rules exist establishing an age for coming-of-age ceremonies hosted by local governments, they are traditionally held for 20-year-olds.

[...]
Coming of age: Why adults in Japan are getting younger - BBC News

Last edited:
:previous:

Thanks, Prisma.

I don't think it is odd that no exception was made for Aiko or Hisahito. It is in accordance with the established precedent that minors do not attend enthronements. The foreign countries invited to witness the enthronement did not send minors to represent them. Other state ceremonies such as state visits, accreditation of foreign ambassadors, etc. are likewise adults-only, as far as I can see. Nor do the minors in the family attend any official engagements on behalf of the monarchy as a matter of course. I can't see why the enthronement would be different.

I have been eagerly waiting for this enthronement to happen and then I had to go away for a few days. So catching up now and loving all the .photos and information. Thanks to all who contributed links and information.
Loved seeing the ladies all dressed up for the many occasions. And of course all the bling. A colourful spectacle and very interesting.
I am sure The new Emperor and Empress will do a fine job. I am quite a fan of Masako. Loved seeing King Jigme and Queen Jetsun in their colourful traditional dress too.

The food looks divine, and the presentation, without the need to add in forks and knives, is even more elegant than at the banquet for the visiting monarchs and dignitaries.

Overall there seems to be a much more relaxed ambiance to this banquet, and it's lovely to see all the family members.

Regarding the non attendance of the Princess Toshi: as others have noted, she is a full two years away from the age when she will begin to attend court functions, and even if that were not true, I doubt very much that such a high profile ceremony would have been a good choice for her first appearance at a formal court event.

Last edited:
Princess Aiko would not have attended any of these events because she is not "of age", which in relation to the Japanese Imperial Family is not until the age of 20.

There was an article, I think in the Dutch forums, that not only had WA and Maxima returned to the Netherlands from Japan but also their three daughters. Perhaps the three princesses spent time with Aiko.

It was a pity the Japanese venues were flooding in abundant lighting. It did no good for the magic sparkle of jewels. Even the best facetted diamonds need optimal lighting to sparkle, which usually is the indirect light from crystal chandeliers and grand candelabras being caught, refracted and reflected by diamonds, in a dazzling splendour.

See what a soft lighting can do with a "minor" diadem, in the first minute of this video you see Princess Laurentien with incredible sparkle, this would have been im-pos-si-ble in Japan, with the overkill of light. Had Máxima worn this same diadem, it would have been "dead" in that Japanese banqueting hall.

Last edited:
Wow this has been an amazing two days of events to watch :flowers:

The outfits, the traditions, the ceremonies are all amazing to witness. I am a huge history buff, and I love countries where such traditions are still so alive to watch like this.

I second that and a big thanks to all who have provided links and details. :flowers:

There was an article, I think in the Dutch forums, that not only had WA and Maxima returned to the Netherlands from Japan but also their three daughters. Perhaps the three princesses spent time with Aiko.

That would be great. It makes sense that the AAA's would see Princess Aiko given the fact that they didn't attend the enthronement itself. It'd be a good idea for the four to remain in contact as it's nice for Aiko to have a friendship with a fellow heir (even though the two cultures are different, the backgrounds are the same).

Will Aiko leave the imperial Family when she gets married ?

Will Aiko leave the imperial Family when she gets married ?

Yes (unless Parliament makes changes to the law before the marriage takes place, or her spouse is Prince Hisahito.)

The Imperial House Law - The Imperial Household Agency

Article 12. In case a female of the Imperial Family marries a person other than the Emperor or the members of the Imperial Family, she shall lose the status of the Imperial Family member.

According to the current constitution yes, she will.

Not the Constitution, but the Imperial House Law (see the link above). This is a standard law which, unlike the Constitution, can be amended by a simple majority of Parliament.

The succession is likewise governed by the Imperial House Law and not by the Constitution.

It was a pity the Japanese venues were flooding in abundant lighting. It did no good for the magic sparkle of jewels. Even the best facetted diamonds need optimal lighting to sparkle, which usually is the indirect light from crystal chandeliers and grand candelabras being caught, refracted and reflected by diamonds, in a dazzling splendour.

See what a soft lighting can do with a "minor" diadem, in the first minute of this video you see Princess Laurentien with incredible sparkle, this would have been im-pos-si-ble in Japan, with the overkill of light. Had Máxima worn this same diadem, it would have been "dead" in that Japanese banqueting hall.

Thank you for mentioning the appalling lighting throughout this event. However, I am so pleased to see Masako so happy and all the ceremony so traditional and moving

Thank you for mentioning the appalling lighting throughout this event. However, I am so pleased to see Masako so happy and all the ceremony so traditional and moving

I saw a video of the complete passage (the imperial couple greeting all guests before the banquet). The Empress wearing incredible diamonds. Queen Letizia, Queen Máxima... but no, all flat and all "dead".

Then I saw a video with the banqueting hall. But there were no chandeliers hanging, there were no candelabras on the tables. The light looked like TL lamps (halogen spots could have provided the diamonds to glitz and to glam). So even the Empress, seated at the main table, left me wondering: how come these big superior diamonds on her head and from her two rivières do not show any sparkle at all????

It is kind of shame: having great jewels is one. But they need optimal light. One can notice the same with the Ladies Peeresses during the State Opening of Parliament in London. The House of Lords is too well lighted, the bench with the Ladies Peeresses hardly glitz and glam.

Recommendation: organize an event in white tie? Dim the light!
:lol:

Last edited:
More photos of the 2nd banquet on October 25: Asahi
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4EMbXblXxY/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4D-UucFQNf/

Noriko Senge, Ayako and Kei Moriya attended the 2nd banquet

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHtdJn1U8AAa7Mc.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHtdJn2UUAElOw6.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHtdJn4UUAUou2J.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHtdJn2UwAEww-M.jpg

Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHx3i1bU4AAmF4k.jpg

Mikasa princesses
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHx3DFyVUAA8NIW.png

Prime Minister Abe making a speech
https://www.kantei.go.jp/jp/content/20191025kyouen01.jpg

Longer video of tea party welcome on October 23
Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko arrive/leave Akasaka Estate on October 23

Last edited:
During the passage before the gala banquet I noticed that King Felipe and King Willem-Alexander were very warm with the imperial couple. Both also gave a handkiss to the Empress. Queen Letizia embraced the Empress. Queen Máxima embraced both the Emperor and the Empress, kissed the Empress twice and then whispered something in her ear, with a sweet reaction from the Empress.

The Prince of Wales, the Prince of Monaco, the Grand-Duke of Luxembourg and the Swedes were just formal: no kissing and no hugging. The Belgians and the Danes I have missed.

Especially Prince Albert looked awkward. The lighting was a crime and in that he looked pale and puffy in his ugly white little uniform jacket with his wrinkled two-sizes-too-big black pantalon. Well-tailored classic black tails would have done wonders to his appearance. There really must be a good tailor somewhere in Monte-Carlo, come on, Prince Albert...

Last edited:
During the passage before the gala banquet I noticed that King Felipe and King Willem-Alexander were very warm with the imperial couple. Both also gave a handkiss to the Empress. Queen Letizia embraced the Empress. Queen Máxima embraced both the Emperor and the Empress, kissed the Empress twice and then whispered something in her ear, with a sweet reaction from the Empress.

The Prince of Wales, the Prince of Monaco, the Grand-Duke of Luxembourg and the Swedes were just formal: no kissing and no hugging. The Belgians and the Danes I have missed.

King Philippe gave the Empress a handkiss, as did Grand Duke Henri, which is actually a formal thing. Mathilde also hugged the Empress and kissed her on the cheek twice, but not as enthusiastically as Letizia and Máxima. King Carl Gustaf, who I think also handkissed (but I don't remember) was also quite formal as was CP Victoria, who kissed discreetly on the cheek, but curtsied twice to Masako . It looks like Victoria was a little bit nervous and worried about not being deferential enough ; she also walked very far behind her father, which also surprised me.

CP Mary's was the deepest/lowest curtsy (showing how super fit Mary is) and she also bowed her head while curtsying, which is not the European way, but I guess she thought would be appropriate in Japan (she doesn't do that in Europe, so I guess it was not just a mistake).

What caught my attention, however, was that the members of the Japanese government (?) , including PM Abe and his wife (?), who was wearing a traditional kymono, did not touch the Emperor and Empress at all (I mean , not even shook hands). They only bowed at a very considerable distance BTW by western standards. That is the Japanese way, which makes Letizia's and Maxima's Spanish warmth even more striking in comparison.

EDIT: You can see all royal guests greeting the imperial couple in the video below. I linked it from the moment the Prince of Wales came in, but Frederik and Mary came in much earlier (around 25:50).

BTW, maybe the British royal watchers here can explain why the Prince of Wales always does that fingerpointing thing when he is making small talk.

Last edited:
What caught my attention, however, was that the members of the Japanese government (?) , including PM Abe and his wife (?), who was wearing a traditional kymono, did not touch the Emperor and Empress at all (I mean , not even shook hands). They only bowed at a very considerable distance BTW by western standards. That is the Japanese way, which makes Letizia's and Maxima's Spanish warmth even more striking in comparison.

EDIT: You can see all royal guests greeting the imperial couple in the video below. I linked it from the moment the Prince of Wales came in, but Frederik and Mary came in much earlier (around 25:50).

BTW, maybe the British royal watchers here can explain why the Prince of Wales always does that fingerpointing thing when he is making small talk.
I think that´s just a typical feature he is not very well aware of himself. Son Harry is always gesticulating "wildly" when being interviewed.

When it comes to your remark about the PM and his wife not shaking hands with the imperial couple I recall that I have observed this with the british Queen during the receiving line at state banquets, too. At some point members of her court, just like ladies-in-waiting, aide-du-camps shake hands with the host but curtseyed (or bowed) to The Queen and, in the older days, to the D o Edinburgh, while almost at the same time walking by and not shaking hands with the Royals.
That "Kissing-the-emperors"-thing is pretty new. It just started with the last reign of Akihito when european Queens started to show their personal affection with Empress Michiko and ignored japanese court protocol. Nobody, not even foreign royal heads of state, would have dared to kiss old emperor Hirohito or his wife at an official capacity!
The same can be seen when european Royalty meets the Thai royal family. They never look at ease when being kissed or wrapped. Yes, they smile, but it also seems like being a literally foreign concept for them.

When I looked at Masako during all these welcoming scenes of the past week I thought she is the very first asian Royal who occured to me really enjoying being kissed on the cheek or hugged!

Last edited:
The Princr of Wales indeed has the habit to wriggle in the pocket of his suit, to turn his ring and to point fingers. I think he is in essence a shy man and tries to find himself a posture. I noticed that he alo tries to set the tone, to take the initiative: it is a wonderful day, isn't it? Are you girls from this school indeed? How many items does this robot make? How splendid to see the good work. He seems more pro-active than King Felipe or King Willem-Alexander who are more: "Well, I am the visitor. Tell me eveythinf about it. I'm all ears for you". Having a pro-active attitude is often a way to keep control. I think Prince Charles has that from his father.

Last edited:
I did notice that The King and Queen of Bhutan also retained a "respectful distance" when greeting the Emperor and Empress. They followed what I presume was a more Asian custom than the Europeans did.

The 3rd court banquet was held on October 29th and welcomed nearly 700 guests including members of the legislature, prefectural governments, and representatives from various fields.

Their Majesties and the Akishino family welcomed guests at the Houmei-Den (State Banquet Hall). At the end of the banquet, Their Majesties and Mikasa and Takamado princesses bid the guests farewell at the Shunju-no-Ma (Grand Hall).

Photos: Asahi, Mainichi, AP Images

Last edited:
Empress Masako continues to delight with her smile . I have great hopes that she is finally coming into her own after such a difficult time . She and Emperor Naruhito are a great team .

When I looked at Masako during all these welcoming scenes of the past week I thought she is the very first asian Royal who occured to me really enjoying being kissed on the cheek or hugged!

I undertand they are Masako's friends and were genuinely happy for her after all she's been through, but, still, I think Letizia and Máxima were over the top with their kissing, hugging and touching. I believe Mary and Mathilde struck a better balance.

Victoria actually looked a little bit nervous to me, as I said before, and seemed colder/more distant. Mary was deferential, but warm , and Mathilde seemed to engage in a really gentle kind of conversation. At least those are the vibes I get from the video and the body language.

My guess is that Masako is just 'better' friends with at least the Dutch royals (I don't really know anything about her relationship with the Spanish royals - the greeting seems to suggest they know each other quite well too). After all, her parents lived in the Netherlands, they spent a holiday in the Netherlands at Het Oude Loo, she even attended Willem-Alexander's inauguration. So it makes sense that Máxima is more at ease than the royals Masako also knows but seems less intimate with. Whether this was the appropriate occasion is debatable.

I also liked Willem-Alexander's wink before they moved forward. It seemed to be directed at the emperor (whom he has known quite well from his UN work as well), so I guess the couples get along very well.

I don't agree that Victoria seemed more distant; she indeed seemed very aware of her father being more senior than her but she also clearly made eye contact in a 'joyful way' (if you understand what I mean) before walking up.

Kings of Belgium, Netherlands, Belgium , Sweden and Grand Duke of Luxembourg did "the baise main" but Prince Charles no , just a bow. Why ?

On October 30th, farmers delivered rice and millet to the Imperial Household Agency for the Daijosai ceremony next month. The IHA will buy 1.5 kg of milled rice from 47 prefectures and 750 grams of millet from 25 prefectures. About half were delivered this day. Other goods such as Hokkaido kelp and Kagoshima sweet potato will be delivered on November 12.

Daijosai ceremony

:previous:

I had to google it:"The Daijosai is performed by a new emperor once during his reign. The emperor will offer newly harvested rice to his imperial ancestors and the deities of heaven and earth, while also consuming the rice himself, and pray for peace and abundant harvests for the country and its people."
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...tion-halls-daijosai-imperial-succession-rite/

"Emperor Naruhito, who acceded the throne on May 1, must take part in a series of rituals accompanying the succession, including the Great Thanksgiving Ceremony, known as Daijosai, on Nov. 14 and 15." (ibid.)

So, it is a mixture of Thanksgiving and Honoring the ancestors.

Are there annually held Thanksgiving cermonies by the Emperor too?

Back
Top Bottom