The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Imperial Family of Japan

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sakamoto, gynecology doctor for imperial family members, dies at 82

Shoichi Sakamoto, who worked as gynecology doctor for Empress Michiko and other female imperial family members, died of malignant lymphoma at a hospital in Tokyo on Dec. 28, sources close to his family said Thursday. He was 82..........
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/070104/kyodo/d8mefpo00.html

Old 01-15-2007, 02:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

LEAD: Emperor's poem about moon recited at annual New Year's Poetry Reading

(Kyodo) _ (EDS: ADDING CROWN PRINCESS MASAKO'S ABSENCE)
Emperor Akihito reflected on the white moon he saw as he hurried home one night after performing the day's duties in a poem recited at the annual New Year Poetry Reading held Monday at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo. This year's theme for the "waka" poems was "the moon." The emperor's poem, poems composed by other members of Japan's imperial family and 10 poems chosen from 23,737 public entries were recited in the traditional style at the reading...............
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/070115/kyodo/d8mlfp080.html

Photo from JIJI press

Quote:

Theme for the New Year's Poetry Reading, 2007: TSUKI(the moon)

His Majesty the Emperor

My day's duties done
And I quicken my footsteps
On my way back home
While the light of the moon
Shines down whitely on the path.

Note: This poem describes the scenery as His Majesty saw it on the way home from the Imperial Palace to the Imperial Residence where he lives after the ceremony of the appointment of senior officers, whose appointment His Majesty attests, was over in the evening.

Her Majesty the Empress

Each year
I look up to verify
The moon's position
As I see the Emperor off
For New Year's Ritual at dawn.

Note: Every year on New Year's Day very early in the morning at the Imperial Residence, the Empress sees off the Emperor who goes to the Palace Sanctuary to perform the first ritual of the year. Then, at the time when His Majesty prays, she herself goes outdoors and prays with him from afar. This poem describes her custom of many years of looking up at the sky first, when she goes outdoors, looking forward to seeing the age of the moon as well as the alignment of the moon and the stars that change year by year.
* Since becoming Emperor, His Majesty performs the Prayer to the Four Quarters (Shihohai) just before the New Year's Ritual (Saitansai). In this poem, however, "Each year" includes the Emperor's years as Crown Prince as well and, therefore, Her Majesty refers to the New Year's Ritual (Saitansai) which His Majesty has performed from the time when he was Crown Prince to this day.

His Imperial Highness the Crown Prince

Illuminated by the moonlight pouring down from the skies, the trees stood out boldly in the snowy wilderness.

Note: This poem recalls a night during one of His Imperial Highness the Crown Prince's ski trips. Amid the chill and silence, the trees covered with snow were conspicuous in the brilliant bright moonlight enveloping them.

Her Imperial Highness the Crown Princess

"I want to see the moon", said the little child. Hand in hand we entered the garden, and the moon shown brightly.

Note: On an evening around the time for the Autumn Moon Viewing last year, Her Highness Princess Aiko asked to see the moon, so Her Imperial Highness the Crown Princess took her out into the garden of the Akasaka Palace.
They watched the moon shining brightly in the garden, and in the warm grasp of the young Princess's hand, the Crown Princess felt the happiness of living together day to day with her daughter. She expresses her joy in this poem.

http://www.kunaicho.go.jp/eutakai/eutakai-h19.html

Old 01-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Kiko, third from right, wife of the emperor's second son Prince Akishino, second left, stands listening to a poem read with Empress Michiko, fourth from right, during an annual imperial verse reading ceremony at Imperial Palace in Tokyo Monday, Jan. 15, 2007.

http://news.yahoo.com/photo/070115/481/tok80101150827
Old 02-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Imperial Family attended a concert held by Kunaicho employees at The Toukagakudo (Imperial Concert Hall) in the Imperial Palace on Feb. 15, 2007.

Attending the concert were Emperor, Empress, Prince Naruhito, Princess Masako, Princess Kiko and Princess Hisako.

Photo from JIJI press
Video from FNN news and TBS news
Old 02-15-2007, 11:08 PM
Aristocracy

Glad to see Princess Masako with Prince Naruhito and the Imperial Family. They look happy together.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:43 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

I'm relieved to see them together...It should shut up some bad rumors that were going on about Crown Princess Masako and her Imperial in-laws...

Vanesa.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Japanese Empress Michiko (C), accompanied by Crown Prince Naruhito (R), speaks with Mongolian President Nambaryn Enkhbayar at the start of a luncheon at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo February 28.

Mongolia on Yahoo! News Photos
Old 03-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

The newest edition of the "Our Imperial Family" magazine released on March 10, 2007 features Prince Hisahito on its cover.

The Image cover and english table of contents can be found in the link below
c@34
Old 03-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Aristocracy

A interesting article on the late Emperor Showa.

Hirohito opposed, wary of China war: aide's diary | The Japan Times Online
Old 03-20-2007, 05:05 AM

Question

Hi!
Do you know any information about the Japanese prince who is now on tour in Southeast Asia?
He is Prince Hisahito's father,isn't he?
Is his baby with him in Southeast Asia?
Will he meet any royal families?
Which countries is he visiting?
Please tell me if you know.^^
Old 03-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Empress Michiko, Princess Kiko, Prince and Princess Hitachi, and Princess Hisako attended a concert today in the Imperial Palace, March 20, 2007.
Sayako Kuroda also attended the concert.
The performers were graduates of Tokyo National University of Fine Arts and Music and College of Music.

Photo from JIJI press

Video from NNN news, TBS news, and FNN news

The Empress will begin to recuperate at the Imperial Residence from the 21st until the 25th of March. She will then resume her duties on the 26th for 4 days during the King and Queen of Sweden's state visit to Japan. Then in the beginning of April, she will visit the Nasu Imperial Villa in Tochigi Prefecture for a few days with the Emperor.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoong
Hi!
Do you know any information about the Japanese prince who is now on tour in Southeast Asia?
He is Prince Hisahito's father,isn't he?
Is his baby with him in Southeast Asia?
Will he meet any royal families?
Which countries is he visiting?
Please tell me if you know.^^
Prince Akishino is currently in Thailand continuing his research on the domestication of chickens from their wild ancestor. He left Japan on March 14and will return to Tokyo on March 23. From what I read from the news, he is only visiting Thailand during this period.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:00 AM

Thank you,mandyy.
I didn't know he is not only a prince but a researcher.
What a marvelous dad.^^
Old 03-27-2007, 12:17 AM
Aristocracy

Just another article on the Imperial family....not a encouraging read....

Life in the cloudy Imperial fishbowl | The Japan Times Online
Old 04-26-2007, 05:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Emperor Akihito, 2nd right, and Empress Michiko, right, walk to a crowd of guests during the Imperial Spring Party at the Akasaka Imperial Garden in Tokyo, Thursday, April 26, 2007. Other Imperial family members are from 3rd right, Crown Prince Naruhito, Princess Kiko, Prince Akishino, and Prince Hitachi.

Japan's Royal Family on Yahoo! News Photos
Old 04-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Royal Highness

thanks for the photoss.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:35 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanletizia
Emperor Akihito, 2nd right, and Empress Michiko, right, walk to a crowd of guests during the Imperial Spring Party at the Akasaka Imperial Garden in Tokyo, Thursday, April 26, 2007. Other Imperial family members are from 3rd right, Crown Prince Naruhito, Princess Kiko, Prince Akishino, and Prince Hitachi.

Thanks for the pictures.

Heres a interesting article on the late Emperor Showa.

Hirohito's shrine spat supported | The Japan Times Online
Old 05-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Hisako (R) bows to Japanese Empress Michiko (L) upon her departure while Princess Kiko (2nd L) and Princess Hanako (2nd R) look on after the annual general meeting of the Japanese Red Cross Society in Tokyo 08 May 2007. The empress is also honorary president of the Red Cross

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
Old 05-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Aristocracy

Nice to see The Empress again. Unfortunately Masako wasn't there. I really want to see them together again.
BTW, why do they wear gloves on that event? Is there any special reason?
Old 05-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Courtier

It is great to see and know the empress is going fine. There was a scare but I am happy she is better and she has a nice outfit on as well.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko depart for Europe at Tokyo International Airport May 21, 2007 in Tokyo, Japan. The royal tour to Europe will encompass visits to five different countries before returning on May 30.
Crown Prince Naruhito, Crown Princess Masako, Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko saw off the Emperor and the Empress.

Pictures:
Crown Prince Naruhito bows to the Emperor, as Crown Princess Masako, Prince Akishino watch
The Emperor, the Empress, Crown Prince Naruhito and Prince Akishino
The Emperor, the Empress, Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko

Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako
Crown Princess Masako 1
Crown Princess Masako 2

Gallery of Pictures from Isifa

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Closed Thread

Tags
japanese imperial family, japanese royal family