Imperial Family of Japan Current Events 2: June 2008 - April 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Imperial Family has posed for a family photo session for the New Year at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo on November 10, 2013. The photos were released today:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

I love seeing the photos of the family, but to be honest it seems like we see the same photo every year. Formal pose and then the grandparents piece together a puzzle or look at a map with the youngest grandchild.

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:I just don't get this family, and I wonder if they are even a family at times. Their picture is taken in a walled dark room with no personality of the people, they all dress the same, the same style, the same color, the same blank look of horror on their face and this is what the people of Japan expect of their royal family. Or is it the IAH, men in gray suits that control these poor people....I feel so sorry for the young male child, if he is to be the heir someday, what anxiety he will feel as he gets older. The CP and CP's I hope when they come into power will change the way things are done..............sad looking group of people.

I also don't understand. This monarchy must modernize.

Minimalist, serene and elegant photos in my opinion - not influenced overmuch by Western cultural expectations. :)

Minimalist, serene and elegant photos in my opinion - not influenced overmuch by Western cultural expectations. :)

I agree. Very typical Japanese interior and very traditional Japanese demeanor.

This family looks like the most unhappy family I have seen.............the Empress seems to always keep her head on a downward tilt, the smiles are frozen in time, this is not a normal family. I know people here where I live that have family in Japan, they feel the same way when looking at the photos. There is something not right with this family, over the years they look more unhappy then ever.

This family looks like the most unhappy family I have seen.............the Empress seems to always keep her head on a downward tilt, the smiles are frozen in time, this is not a normal family. I know people here where I live that have family in Japan, they feel the same way when looking at the photos. There is something not right with this family, over the years they look more unhappy then ever.

The dysfunction within the imperial household has been discussed before; the case of the Crown Princess, I am sure, is only the tip of the iceberg! However, I would hope Imperial family members are following with concern the sword rattling that is going on between Japan and China, being only too aware of the horrific history of this conflict:ohmy: Are there Japanese members who can comment?

New Year's Video

I'm looking at the videos and it just seems that Prince Akishino just expects the adoration of the crowd, while his brother Naruhito waves to the crowd with no expectation. While the BRF is also remote, at least why try to connect more with the people than this Royal Family (understandable considering their circumstances, and the culture they are in).

I'm looking at the videos and it just seems that Prince Akishino just expects the adoration of the crowd, while his brother Naruhito waves to the crowd with no expectation. While the BRF is also remote, at least why try to connect more with the people than this Royal Family (understandable considering their circumstances, and the culture they are in).
Thank you for your thoughts on the Imperial Family.:flowers:

Thanks for the photos and videos!
It is great to see the usual New Year reception and the members of the Japanese Imperial family attending it. The Japanese Imperial Princesses are lovely.

I'm thinking that many hundreds of years of tradition and rigidity are very hard to overcome.

The Emperor's brother Prince Hitachi wasn't there, is he sick?

Japan's royal family pose for unusual New Year photo - Telegraph
Japan's royal family – the oldest continuous hereditary monarchy in the world – has taken the unusual step of issuing a family photograph to celebrate the New Year.
The formal family photo shows Emperor Akihito, 80, and his wife Empress Michiko, 79, surrounded by their two sons, their wives, and the four grandchildren.

The authour seems to be blissfully ignorant of the fact that the photo shoot is a usual annual event.

Last edited:
The Imperial Household Agency is directly responsible for the Imperial family. They're notorious for precision and formality. However, I think this is fairly a recent phenomenon in the history of the Imperial family of Japan. There is probably some sort of strict guideline that controls every aspect of the Imperial family from marriage to child care, their diet, their clothing, etc. This is due to the fact that the current constitution of Japan strictly limits the capabilities of the emperor, but I think the control is a bit too much myself.

The Imperial Household Agency acts independently from the Parliament of Japan, if I recall correctly (correct me if I'm wrong), there was an incident when the Prime Minister Shinzo Abe requested for Princess Takamado to be present for the IOC meeting, the IHA (Imperial Household Agency) acted independently whether to allow it or not. Princess Takamado said she was surprised herself that she was allowed to be present for the IOC presentation, I'm guessing the IHA was pressured by the Prime Minister? I'm certain if change is going to happen, it needs to start with the Imperial Household Agency.

Pre-WWII Japan, the Imperial family certainly had more freedom with their personal affairs, and even back in ancient times the Imperial family certainly was more laissez-faire. But I can also understand why the IHA is being so conservative, they're probably aware of the sentiments of other countries when it comes to the Emperor of Japan.

Last edited:
Can anybody tell me why the Crown P/P where not there?

:previous:

Crown Prince Naruhito was there, you can see him entering in the video, Crown Princess Masako was indeed missing.

:previous:Iceflower:
Thank you, at first I didn't see him, about time for new glasses...lololo.
I sure hope that she is okay, wishing her the best, if only she knew how many people are pulling for her!

Unfortunately Crown Princess Masako has not been participating in this event for quite a while due to her medical condition.

Last edited:
i love seeing the japanese family during the new year celebrations. i like how it is one of the few opportunities we get to see almost all its members together.

however, i am surprised that in the videos we see masako arriving to the gala reception in full gala, with her tiara on, yet she isn't with the other ladies in the ceremony...

Can anybody tell me why the Crown P/P where not there?
Like Albina said, she has not been present at this event for many years, same thing for the (so to speak) "New Year tiara event" - we only see her in the car with a tiara. Her doctors have said that it is difficult for her to bear huge crowds. That means that we will probably have to wait some more time before we will see her at one of the spring or autumn garden festivals - and if we should one day, that will probably be the day of her full recovery.

But even if Masako did not attend the event, she has contributed a waka poem to it:

Imperial family capture a year's memories in New Year's poems
Emperor Akihito captured the poignant moment when he saw the placid and tragic waters off Minamata, Kumamoto Prefecture, during his recent visit to the city in his poem for the New Year's Poetry Reading Ceremony on Jan. 15.
In the annual event at the Imperial Palace, “waka” poems composed by members of the imperial family, as well as 10 selected works from the public and those by judges, were recited. This year’s theme was “sei” (quiet). [...]

In her poem, Crown Princess Masako expressed her hopes that the sorrow of victims of the March 2011 disaster will be gradually eased, and that the sea will protect the livelihoods of the people and bring them bountiful blessings. Masako and her husband traveled to Kamaishi, Iwate Prefecture, part of the region devastated by the Great East Japan Earthquake and tsunami, in November. She was heartened by the news that the harvesting of sea urchins had resumed in the city in May.
A translation of her poem read: As though it enwraps even the sorrow, the sea off Kamaishi lies in tranquility.

Imperial Household Agency considering opening road inside palace grounds
The Imperial Household Agency is considering opening up a road inside the palace grounds so that tourists and visitors may all the more enjoy the scenery when they visit during the spring and fall season. [...]

Normally, only staff and authorized people are allowed to freely walk on these roads and passersby have to undergo strict security checks by the Imperial Guards. They are only allowed access during special occasions like the Emperor’s birthday and New Year’s holiday but not for scenic purposes. The plan is to open the roads from morning to the afternoon for five days each during spring and fall, depending on forecasts from the Japan Meteorological Agency as to when cherry flowers blossom and the leaves change color.

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates!
It is great to know that Crown Princess Masako present her poem at the annual ceremony. I am not surprised to learn that she greatly sympathised with those affected by the natural disaster in 2011. Hopefully the damaged areas will completely recover in the nearest future.

Emperor Akihito, Empress Michiko and Crown Prince Naruhito welcomed Vietnam's President Truong Tan San and his wife Mai Thi Hanh in Tokyo on March 17, 2014, for a four-day visit.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 **

In the evening a banquet took place at the Imperial Palace:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Last edited:

Today, March 19, a farewell ceremony for Vietnam's President Truong Tan Sang and his wife has taken place at the Akasaka Palace state guesthouse in Tokyo.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Several members of the family, including Empress Michiko, Crown Prince Naruhito, Crown Princess Masako and many others attended a music concert by graduates of music colleges at the Imperial Palace on March 20, 2014.

** Pic **

It is great to see Her Imperial Majesty Empress Michiko attending the official engagement. It is nice that Crown Princess Masako appeared alongside her husband, and Princess Mako accompanied her parents.

Emperor Akihito, Empress Michiko and Crown Prince Naruhito visited the Meiji Shrine in Tokyo today, April 2, 2014. The visit was made ahead of the 100th anniversary of the death of Empress Dowager Shoken, wife of Emperor Meiji.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom