The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Imperial Family of Japan

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-02-2012, 04:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Imperial family of Japan on January 2nd, 2011 - Appearance on the balcony

AFP: Japan's emperor prays for recovery in New Year address
Tens of thousands of cheering Japanese gathered at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo on Monday to hear Emperor Akihito pray for a swift recovery from the March 11 disaster in his traditional New Year address."I felt pain last year as the East Japan Great Earthquake occurred," Akihito told the crowd, speaking in winter sunshine from a balcony protected by bulletproof glass.
"I'm worried that sufferers are in severe situations, but I hope recovery of the devastated areas will make progress this year," the emperor said.
More than 42,000 people, mostly elderly Japanese, were at the palace for the event, where imperial family members including Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako waved to the cheering crowds.

daylife gallery

All members of the JIF on the balcony - Getty

Emperor expresses hopes for united rebuilding effort | The Japan Times Online
The Press Association: Emperor putting faith in recovery

Old 01-02-2012, 06:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Old 01-02-2012, 06:37 AM
Majesty

Thank you for sharing this video, although I find it somewhat sad that the Imperial Family is behind bullet-proof glass. Were there assassination threats or attempts that made this necessary? The glass, to me, is a metaphor of how far the Emperor and his family are removed from the people.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
...Were there assassination threats or attempts that made this necessary? The glass, to me, is a metaphor of how far the Emperor and his family are removed from the people.
This part of the Imperial palace was reconstructed during Emperor Showa's reign. There were 6 assassination attempts on Sowa's life since 1945, the most famous was Kyujo Incident.
The last attempt against Showa was in 1988.
There was an incident during the Crown Prince Akihito and the Crown Princess Michiko's visit to Okinawa in 1970s. A woman tried to explode some kind of granade as a protest agains US navy bases in Japan. The woman was killed during the explosion, the Crown Princess Michiko has got an small injury (the stone scratched her forehead). The Empress Michiko has a tiny scar now.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasumi View Post
The yellow and ivory colours are reserved for the Empress and the closest relatives of the monarch.
The length of the sleeves depends on the age. The youngest Imperial ladies have the shortest ones.
Thank you for that answer, Kasumi. I had posted a similar question in the Japanese jewelry thread. And also many thanks for your comprehensive and numerous links here; you keep us so very well informed.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Majesty

Thank you (again) for this background information, Kasumi. I think that I'll do some reading up on this, because I hadn't heard about the assassination attempts before this.

Quote:
This part of the Imperial palace was reconstructed during Emperor Showa's reign. There were 6 assassination attempts on Sowa's life since 1945, the most famous was Kyujo Incident.
The last attempt against Showa was in 1988.
There was an incident during the Crown Prince Akihito and the Crown Princess Michiko's ...The Empress Michiko has a tiny scar now.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:09 AM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

The Imperial Family during a new year greeting at the East Plaza, Imperial Palace in Tokyo, Japan. January 2, 2012

BelgaPicture - Category details
Old 01-05-2012, 07:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Jackie Evancho to Sing for Japanese Royal Family - Pine-Richland, PA Patch
Richland songbird Jackie Evancho has been invited to sing for Japan's royal family, according to her Twitter account.
"Got invite to sing for emperor and empress, prince and princess and royal family in Japan. Tremendous honor. So excited," she tweeted Wednesday.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Since there is no any thread for Imperial family's Fashion and Style (only the for the Crown Princess') I'll post it here.

The Imperial Household announces the details about the Imperial ladies' court dresses colour at the New Year ceremonies January 2nd, 2012 (on the balcony). - Source

HM the Empress - ivory,
HIH the Crown Princess - ivory,
HIH the Princess Akishino - dawn light,
HIH the Princess Akishino Mako - pale rose,
HIH the Princess Hitachi - emerald green,
HIH the Princess Mikasa Yuriko - maroon,
HIH the Princess Mikasa Akiko - light mint,
HIH the Princess Takamado - bright navy blue,
HIH the Princess Takamado Tsuguko - blue-green,
HIH the Princess Takamado Noriko - salmon pink,
HIH the Princess Takamado Ayako - dark pink.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Majesty

Thanks for the information!
It is great that Crown Princess Masako attended the New Year Ceremony.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
...It is great that Crown Princess Masako attended the New Year Ceremony.
I'm sorry, Al_bina, if I've misunderstood you.
It was the Crown Princess' duty to attend.
The Emperor's birthday and the New Year are grand official engagements, all members of the Imperial family are summond by the monarch to be present.
It's a pity the Crown Princess didn't find strength to attend the rest of ceremonies.
Her Majesty has her right wrist swallen during shaking hands with the Cabinet ministers on January 1st. The doctors have examined her, and immobilized the wrist. The Empress was not able to attend the ceremonies on January 3rd and 5th.
The presence of the heir's spouse would be an invaluable help for the monarchy!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

'First Lecture of the Year' ceremony - January 10th, 2012

'The First Lecture of the Year' ceremony was held in the Imperial palace, Tokyo, on January 10th, 2012.
TM the Emperor and the Empress, TIH the Prince and the Princess Akishino, the Prince and the Princess Hitachi, the Princess Akiko of Mikasa, the Dowager Princess Takamado and her daughters - the Princesses Tsuguko and Noriko were present at the Pine Hall.
This year's lectures were 'Japanese acceptance of foreign cultures' (Prof Shiro Ishii, Tokyo university) and 'Quantum control device and electronic advances' (Prof Sakaki Hiroyuki). - Source

**Pic 1** **Pic 2** **Pic 3** - sankei

The Imperial Princesses' style - screencapture
Old 01-11-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Jackie Evancho to Sing for Japanese Royal Family - Pine-Richland, PA Patch
Richland songbird Jackie Evancho has been invited to sing for Japan's royal family, according to her Twitter account.
"Got invite to sing for emperor and empress, prince and princess and royal family in Japan. Tremendous honor. So excited," she tweeted Wednesday.
I am a huge Jackie Evancho fan and I had heard that Jackie sang two songs (All I Ask of You and O Mio Babbino Caro) and that she was able to talk with the Royal Family of Japan. What a great honor! Can anyone please confirm?

Thanks, Russ.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by arussday View Post
... Can anyone please confirm?...
Jackie herself can, if you check up her Twitter page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Evancho Twitter page
our visit with the imperial family was an incredible experience and a resounding success. so nice to have their support.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I'm sorry, Al_bina, if I've misunderstood you.
It was the Crown Princess' duty to attend.
The Emperor's birthday and the New Year are grand official engagements, all members of the Imperial family are summond by the monarch to be present.
It's a pity the Crown Princess didn't find strength to attend the rest of ceremonies.
Her Majesty has her right wrist swallen during shaking hands with the Cabinet ministers on January 1st. The doctors have examined her, and immobilized the wrist. The Empress was not able to attend the ceremonies on January 3rd and 5th.
The presence of the heir's spouse would be an invaluable help for the monarchy!
I just commented that it was nice to see Crown Princess Masako. There was no hidden meaning in the sentence in question. I do know that Crown Princess Masako must attend the Emperor's birthday celebrations/events and make an appearance alongside other members of the Imperial family on the balcony every New Year.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Mikasa Tomohito had surgery - January 10th, 2012

HIH the Prince Tomohito of Mikasa had a surgery today because of the tumor found in his lower right jaw.
According to the Imperial Household Agency, the oropharynx, oral cavity's muscles and lymphatic nodes on both sides of the neck were removed.
The abdominal muscles were transplanted to the missing part.
The surgery lasted for nearly 10 hours, and it was successfully completed. - Source
Old 01-12-2012, 02:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

'Reading the traditional tanka poems' ceremony - January 12th, 2012

Poems on Japan disaster win Palace poetry contest - CBS News
A poem about the Japanese coastline devastated by last year's earthquake and tsunami was among the winners in the annual Imperial Palace poetry contest and was read as part of a solemn ceremony Thursday.
Coincidentally, the theme for this year's reading of "tanka," or traditional five-line Japanese poems that date back to the shogun periods, was "shore."
Emperor Akihito, Empress Michiko, their two sons and other royalty in gowns sat silently inside a large room in the palace, as a choir of several men around a table read each of the 10 winning works in singsong, dragged-out tones.
The imperial family also offered their poems for the event. One of Akihito's, released Jan. 1, expresses his sorrow and horror in watching the dark waves of the rolling tsunami on TV news footage.
Yueko Sawabe, 39, who works at a medical facility in northeastern Fukushima prefecture, a region hit hard by the March 11 disaster, stood wearing a lavender kimono as her poem was read:

"Never able to
Turn it back,
This reality
Feels so heavy on my shoulders,
Along this coastal path."

**Pic 1** **Pic 2** **Pic 3** - NHK screencaptures
Old 01-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oldest 'Iroha' poem written in hiragana found on pottery : Culture : Features : DAILY YOMIURI ONLINE (The Daily Yomiuri)
Ancient earthenware with part of the old Japanese poem "Iroha Uta" written on it found in the town of Meiwa, Mie Prefecture, has been confirmed as the oldest known copy of the poem in hiragana, according to the prefectural Saiku Historical Museum.
The museum made the announcement Tuesday, saying that the dish-shaped earthenware was made in the late 11th or early 12th century.
It was found at the national historic site of Saiku, a palace of the Saio princess who was appointed from among unmarried Imperial princesses to serve at the Ise Grand Shrines.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

TIH the Princesses Takamado Tsuguko and Noriko visiting 61st Kanto & Tokai Flower EXPO in Tokyo on February 3rd, 2012.

**Pic** - sankei

Tags
japanese imperial family, japanese royal family