The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Imperial Family of Japan

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-01-2014, 06:00 AM
Administrator

The Imperial Family has posed for a family photo session for the New Year at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo on November 10, 2013. The photos were released today:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Old 01-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love seeing the photos of the family, but to be honest it seems like we see the same photo every year. Formal pose and then the grandparents piece together a puzzle or look at a map with the youngest grandchild.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:03 PM
Serene Highness

I just don't get this family, and I wonder if they are even a family at times. Their picture is taken in a walled dark room with no personality of the people, they all dress the same, the same style, the same color, the same blank look of horror on their face and this is what the people of Japan expect of their royal family. Or is it the IAH, men in gray suits that control these poor people....I feel so sorry for the young male child, if he is to be the heir someday, what anxiety he will feel as he gets older. The CP and CP's I hope when they come into power will change the way things are done..............sad looking group of people.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Royal Highness

I also don't understand. This monarchy must modernize.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Courtier

Minimalist, serene and elegant photos in my opinion - not influenced overmuch by Western cultural expectations. :)
Old 01-01-2014, 10:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Rose View Post
Minimalist, serene and elegant photos in my opinion - not influenced overmuch by Western cultural expectations. :)
I agree. Very typical Japanese interior and very traditional Japanese demeanor.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:26 AM
Administrator

Yesterday evening, January 1, the Imperial Family hosted a New Year's reception:

And today, January 2, they greeted well-wishers during a public appearance for the New Year celebrations at the Imperial Palace:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 ** gettyimages gallery **

Old 01-02-2014, 02:18 PM
Serene Highness

This family looks like the most unhappy family I have seen.............the Empress seems to always keep her head on a downward tilt, the smiles are frozen in time, this is not a normal family. I know people here where I live that have family in Japan, they feel the same way when looking at the photos. There is something not right with this family, over the years they look more unhappy then ever.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SElizabeth View Post
This family looks like the most unhappy family I have seen.............the Empress seems to always keep her head on a downward tilt, the smiles are frozen in time, this is not a normal family. I know people here where I live that have family in Japan, they feel the same way when looking at the photos. There is something not right with this family, over the years they look more unhappy then ever.
The dysfunction within the imperial household has been discussed before; the case of the Crown Princess, I am sure, is only the tip of the iceberg! However, I would hope Imperial family members are following with concern the sword rattling that is going on between Japan and China, being only too aware of the horrific history of this conflict Are there Japanese members who can comment?
Old 01-02-2014, 05:00 PM
Commoner

New Year's Video

I'm looking at the videos and it just seems that Prince Akishino just expects the adoration of the crowd, while his brother Naruhito waves to the crowd with no expectation. While the BRF is also remote, at least why try to connect more with the people than this Royal Family (understandable considering their circumstances, and the culture they are in).
Old 01-02-2014, 06:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkimura1976 View Post
I'm looking at the videos and it just seems that Prince Akishino just expects the adoration of the crowd, while his brother Naruhito waves to the crowd with no expectation. While the BRF is also remote, at least why try to connect more with the people than this Royal Family (understandable considering their circumstances, and the culture they are in).
Thank you for your thoughts on the Imperial Family.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:26 PM
Majesty

Thanks for the photos and videos!
It is great to see the usual New Year reception and the members of the Japanese Imperial family attending it. The Japanese Imperial Princesses are lovely.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Courtier

I'm thinking that many hundreds of years of tradition and rigidity are very hard to overcome.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:15 PM
Royal Highness

The Emperor's brother Prince Hitachi wasn't there, is he sick?
Old 01-04-2014, 07:11 PM
Majesty

Japan's royal family pose for unusual New Year photo - Telegraph
Quote:
Japan's royal family – the oldest continuous hereditary monarchy in the world – has taken the unusual step of issuing a family photograph to celebrate the New Year.
The formal family photo shows Emperor Akihito, 80, and his wife Empress Michiko, 79, surrounded by their two sons, their wives, and the four grandchildren.
The authour seems to be blissfully ignorant of the fact that the photo shoot is a usual annual event.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:48 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Imperial Family on their balcony again
Kejsarfamiljen p sin balkong igen | Svensk Damtidning

https://translate.google.com.tr/tran...gen%2F&act=url
Old 01-07-2014, 02:53 PM

The Imperial Household Agency is directly responsible for the Imperial family. They're notorious for precision and formality. However, I think this is fairly a recent phenomenon in the history of the Imperial family of Japan. There is probably some sort of strict guideline that controls every aspect of the Imperial family from marriage to child care, their diet, their clothing, etc. This is due to the fact that the current constitution of Japan strictly limits the capabilities of the emperor, but I think the control is a bit too much myself.

The Imperial Household Agency acts independently from the Parliament of Japan, if I recall correctly (correct me if I'm wrong), there was an incident when the Prime Minister Shinzo Abe requested for Princess Takamado to be present for the IOC meeting, the IHA (Imperial Household Agency) acted independently whether to allow it or not. Princess Takamado said she was surprised herself that she was allowed to be present for the IOC presentation, I'm guessing the IHA was pressured by the Prime Minister? I'm certain if change is going to happen, it needs to start with the Imperial Household Agency.

Pre-WWII Japan, the Imperial family certainly had more freedom with their personal affairs, and even back in ancient times the Imperial family certainly was more laissez-faire. But I can also understand why the IHA is being so conservative, they're probably aware of the sentiments of other countries when it comes to the Emperor of Japan.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:54 AM
Administrator

On January 10 the Imperial Family attended the annual ceremony of the New Year's Lectures at the Imperial Palace.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

** nhk.or.jp: Emperor, Empress attend academic lectures **

** svenskdam.se: Kejsarparet p frelsning ** translation **

Old 01-13-2014, 11:38 PM
Serene Highness

Can anybody tell me why the Crown P/P where not there?
Old 01-14-2014, 03:25 AM
Administrator

Crown Prince Naruhito was there, you can see him entering in the video, Crown Princess Masako was indeed missing.

Tags
japanese imperial family, japanese royal family