Old 06-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Serene Highness

How sad :( RIP prince tomohito

Old 06-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Do they have such a thing as "court mourning" in Japan where the entire family goes into mourning, wearing black and perhaps withdrawing behind palace walls for a period of time when a member of the Imperial Family dies? I would imagine the mourning period would vary depending on the seniority of the family member, an Imperial cousin vs an Emperor or Imperial son?
Not that I know of it. As death is taboo in Shinto (one is rendered spiritually unclean by contact with death/dying), maybe the emperor and other imperial family members will be unable to conduct Shinto rites for some time. But as those rites are considered a private matter, we may in most cases never hear about them anyway, whether they take place or not.

I think, though, that in Shinto there are anniversary ceremonies of the dying day of a person. Besides, in Shinto ancestors are highly revered. I do not know for sure but I suppose that Princess Tomohito and her daughters will have a home shrine where they will offer food, drink and fresh flowers.

(Following recent incidents, I would like to refer anybody who may think the emperorīs statement obvious or redundant to this thread, post #682.)
Old 06-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

I have to correct myself. According to the following article, there are periods of mourning, depending on how closely related the family members are to Prince Tomohito.

Mourners sign books in tribute to late prince
Quote:
On Thursday, the day after Prince Tomohito of Mikasa died, many mourners gathered to sign condolence books at his residence in Moto-Akasaka, Tokyo. [...]

The Emperor and the other members of the Imperial family entered a period of mourning Wednesday, following the death of the prince. Prince Tomohito's wife Princess Nobuko and their two daughters, Princess Akiko and Princess Yoko, will mourn for 90 days. The prince's parents, Prince and Princess Mikasa, and his brother Prince Katsura will mourn for 30 days.

The Emperor, the Empress, Crown Prince Naruhito and Princess Masako, Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko, Prince and Princess Hitachi and Princess Hisako of Takamado will mourn for five days. Princess Hisako's three daughters--Princesses Tsuguko, Noriko and Ayako--will mourn for seven days.

(Following recent incidents, I would like to refer anybody who may think the emperorīs statement obvious or redundant to this thread, post #682.)
Old 06-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiaraC View Post

I think, though, that in Shinto there are anniversary ceremonies of the dying day of a person. Besides, in Shinto ancestors are highly revered. I do not know for sure but I suppose that Princess Tomohito and her daughters will have a home shrine where they will offer food, drink and fresh flowers.
The home shrines in people's homes are Buddhist not Shinto. Food and drink are offerings that are made according to Buddhist tradition and these are the offerings you will see in Japanese cemeteries.

Japanese are quite open with their religious practices. The Shinto religion is very much about your current life. Living a good life. Buddhism is about having a good afterlife. So Japanese people pray at a Shinto shrine at New Years to have a good year, marry at a Shinto shrine, have their babies blessed at a Shinto shrine. But have their funerals at a Buddhist temple, for a good afterlife, also the commemorations of a relatives' death.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:

I have to correct myself. According to the following article, there are periods of mourning, depending on how closely related the family members are to Prince Tomohito.

Mourners sign books in tribute to late prince
I wasn't aware of different mourning periods depending on how closely a person is related to the deceased.
Is that the standard for the Japanese people in general, or the Imperial family has different traditions?
Old 06-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Heir Apparent

When the funeral will take place?
Old 06-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
I wasn't aware of different mourning periods depending on how closely a person is related to the deceased.
Is that the standard for the Japanese people in general, or the Imperial family has different traditions?
Yes, it is the standard in general.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
When the funeral will take place?
14th is the funeral date.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Not that I know of it. As death is taboo in Shinto (one is rendered spiritually unclean by contact with death/dying), maybe the emperor and other imperial family members will be unable to conduct Shinto rites for some time. But as those rites are considered a private matter, we may in most cases never hear about them anyway, whether they take place or not.

Nobuko, the Princess Tomohito came from a Catholic family.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaantoniapia View Post
Yes, it is the standard in general.
Thank you!
Here in Armenia we have much shorter mourning period; seven days even for the closest relatives. 40th day (after death) is also commemorated by friends and family.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Thank you!
Here in Armenia we have much shorter mourning period; seven days even for the closest relatives. 40th day (after death) is also commemorated by friends and family.
The members of the imperial family are going to mourn for 5 - 90days.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Imperial family members on their way to Prince Tomohitoīs residence

Prince Tomohito's funeral to be held next Thursday at Tokyo cemetery

Quote:
The Imperial Household Agency said Thursday it will hold funeral services next Thursday at a Tokyo cemetery for Prince Tomohito of Mikasa, a cousin of Emperor Akihito, who died Wednesday at age 66. The ceremony, called the renso-no-gi rite, will be held at Toshimagaoka cemetery in Tokyo's Bunkyo Ward, with Princess Akiko, the prince's 30-year-old eldest daughter who returned to Japan Wednesday after cutting short her trip to Europe, serving as the chief mourner, the agency said.

The funeral will be a simple one, agency officials said, noting that Prince Tomohito had hoped for his funeral to be simplified as the country is currently working on rebuilding areas devastated by the March 11, 2011, earthquake and tsunami disaster.
June 08, 2012(Mainichi Japan)

I think it is interesting that the eldest daughter is the chief mourner here. I am absolutely no expert on funerals, but in Europe, would not be the wife the "first mourner", so to speak?

Old 06-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Quote:

Nobuko, the Princess Tomohito came from a Catholic family.
But would that mean that she would or could refuse to take part in Shinto rites? After all, she has married into the imperial family who are supposed to be THE representatives of Shinto, "Shinto incarnate", so to speak, ever since the Meiji Restoration.

So would not it be Princess Nobukoīs duty to have a Shinto Shrine for her husband? Or is she free to do whatever she likes in private? Even to regularly hear the mass and go to confession? Would not that be a bit odd for a Shinto princess?

Old 06-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Gentry

Quote:
But would that mean that she would or could refuse to take part in Shinto rites? After all, she has married into the imperial family who are supposed to be THE representatives of Shinto, "Shinto incarnate", so to speak, ever since the Meiji Restoration.

So would not it be Princess Nobukoīs duty to have a Shinto Shrine for her husband? Or is she free to do whatever she likes in private? Even to regularly hear the mass and go to confession? Would not that be a bit odd for a Shinto princess?
Princess's people are Catholic but she may have had to renounce her faith before/upon her marriage. It is not known that she goes to mass but her brother is a regular worshipper. Having said that, the Roman Catholic Church allows the Japanese Catholics to visit the Shinto shrines because they regard it as non-religion that it may not matter to the family. The Imperial Family's religious activities are kept very private because the state does not pay for their Shinto activities.

Talking about the Princess, she is not well either.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Princess's people are Catholic but she may have had to renounce her faith before/upon her marriage.
That means it is not even publicly known if she had to renounce her faith or not?
That is very interesting indeed. As you probably know, in Europe many royal brides have in the past been obliged to convert to the faith of their future husbandsī, and this was sometimes a huge problem (a famous example would be Alix of Hesse). In some cases a marriage did not take place for such reasons, sometimes the bride was allowed to keep her faith if she consented to raise her children in the faith of her husband etc. But whatever happened, it was always publicly known because it was considered a very important matter. Even today, I am rather sure that it is known about all European royals to which faith they belong. I am very amazed to hear that, for Japanese royals, this is a private matter.

Quote:
Talking about the Princess, she is not well either.
Do you mean to say that she has something serious? I hope she is not suffering from cancer, too.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

The emperor and empress have visited the residence of the late Prince Tomohito, prior to the start of a two-day wake in the Akasaka Imperial Compound in Tokyo in Tokyo on June 12, 2012. The imperial couple will not attend his funeral, scheduled on Thursday, June 14 at the Toshimagaoka Imperial cemetery in Tokyo, in accordance with imperial custom.

The crown prince and princess attend the wake.

Princess Akiko at the wake

Old 06-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Gentry

Quote:
That means it is not even publicly known if she had to renounce her faith or not?
That is very interesting indeed. As you probably know, in Europe many royal brides have in the past been obliged to convert to the faith of their future husbandsī, and this was sometimes a huge problem (a famous example would be Alix of Hesse). In some cases a marriage did not take place for such reasons, sometimes the bride was allowed to keep her faith if she consented to raise her children in the faith of her husband etc. But whatever happened, it was always publicly known because it was considered a very important matter. Even today, I am rather sure that it is known about all European royals to which faith they belong. I am very amazed to hear that, for Japanese royals, this is a private matter.

Do you mean to say that she has something serious? I hope she is not suffering from cancer, too.
Princess has been suffering from broncial asthma since 2008 that she has been in and out of hospital.

Shintoism is not a religion in a strict sense but is more like a nature and ancestror worship very similar to the Greek and Roman mythologies that there is no code or doctrine to follow. So, accoding to the Vatican, the Catholics are allowed to go to places such as the Yasukuni Jinja. Noone knows if Empress Michiko's faith because she, too, comes from a Catholic family. Princess Takamado's people are supposed to be Anglicans, so I read somehwhere before. It's just so mysterious. Prince Akishino visited Sennyoji (Buddhist temple) recently because there are so many emperors being buried at the temple's ground. After the demise of the Emperor Taisho, the Empress Teimei said prayers from the Lotus Sutra (Kannonkyou) after she worshiped in from of the photograph of her late husband. Shintoism is a pantheic tradition that it may not matter if a person has a specific religious affinity. That may be why some Japanese people may choose to marry at a shinto shrine or a Christian church but may be happy to be sent off by the rite of Buddhism.

I read about Alix of Hesse: it sounded very difficult for her to convert into Russian Orthodox faith from German Lutheran religion. Had she married into the Japanese Imperial Family, she might have been welcomed into the shintoism without conversion because in the world of shintoism, there is no conversion takes place. LOL
Old 06-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Members of the Imperial Family today attended the funeral of Prince Tomohito at Toshimagaoka imperial cemetery in Tokyo June 14, 2012.

- Crown Princess Masako, Crown Prince Naruhito, Princess Yoko and Princess Akiko
- Prince Mikasa and Princess Yuriko
- Princess Yoko and Princess Akiko

- The Crown Prince and Princess bow in respect
- The Crown Prince and Princess

- Shinto priests
- The mourners

Gallery from Daylife
Old 06-14-2012, 12:08 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

More photos of Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako
1 (Left of the crown prince there is Princess Mako.)
(See also this post.)

Sayako Kuroda

Prince Tomohito's funeral held at Tokyo cemetery
Quote:
The main funeral service for Prince Tomohito of Mikasa, a cousin of Emperor Akihito, took place Thursday morning at a Tokyo cemetery following his recent death at age 66. The ceremony, called the renso-no-gi, started at Toshimagaoka cemetery in Tokyo's Bunkyo Ward. Due partly to the late prince's wish, his eldest daughter Princess Akiko served as the chief mourner at the funeral, which drew about 660 dignitaries including members of the imperial family and Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda.

In line with custom, the emperor and Empress Michiko did not attend the funeral but sent messengers including the grand steward of the Imperial Household Agency. A hearse carrying the prince's body departed his home in Tokyo's Akasaka district for a journey of about 10.4 kilometers to the cemetery, with the route passing near the Imperial Palace.

The prince's body will be cremated in Shinjuku Ward and his ashes interred in a stone chamber diagonally across from the final resting place of his younger brother, Prince Takamado, who died in 2002.
June 14, 2012(Mainichi Japan)

Prince's funeral, grave to cost govt 189 mil. yen
Quote:
The government decided Tuesday to spend about 189 million yen for the funeral and grave of Prince Tomohito of Mikasa [...] The overall spending of 189 million yen will be almost the same as that for the prince's youngest brother, Prince Takamado, who died in 2002 at age 47.
The Daily Yomiuri (Jun. 13, 2012)

Old 06-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Nobility

Very moving pictures. Why do the emperor and empress not attend? I understand that it is the tradition but what is the reason?

Tags
japanese imperial family, japanese royal family