European/Japan royal marriages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
foiegrass said:
well, even if a japanese princess marries a European Prince.
Her status would be higher right?
I mean, HIH compared to HRH.
Her style of Imperial Highness would be higher, but she would take the rank of her husband.
The style doesn't equate to the pecking order. Simple example: HSH Prince Albert of Monaco is higher in rank than HRH The Prince of Wales because Albert is a reigning monarch.

If a Japanese princess marries a European prince, she'd be HRH, not HIH, wouldn't she? As long as Japanese princesses cease to be members of the royal family once they marry, she'd no longer have her HIH. Sayako doesn't, so the wife of HRH Prince xxxx also wouldn't.

i would agree with posts!

im sure Japanese Royals would getting married with nice girls or guys in area Japan,China,Korea,whatever cities hometown who born as native they can married into royals of Japanese Royals and approve of parents the Empress and emperor to getting dating they later married.

im sure little Princess Aiko will become good Empress one days after her grandmother and dad one days but she will go lots of school and switzerlands for finished school and maybe military school i think so.

Who knows? I guess it would, but it'd be the strangest marriage ever, not because of the races, but because both would be royals.

I disagree. George VI, the former Duke of York, was the first member of the British Royal Family to marry outside his immediate circle of friends and associates: George VI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

His wife, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, although an aristocrat, is not from a royal dynasty such as the Hapsburgs, Hohenzollern, and Saxe-Coburg and Gotha: Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prior to this, the Prince of Wales and immediate members of the Royal Family would always marry a German prince or princess.

Given that this is the case, why do you suppose it be "strange" for members of different royal families to be married, unless of course, you happen to believe that race instead of class would be the real issue in this case?

Last edited:
I think if a Japanese Princess were to marry a European prince it would be less of a problem if she married abroad and lived abroad. I don't think the Japanese would accept her marrying a non-Japanese and living in Japan. It would be a matter of race and not social class that would be the problem at home.
For a Japanese prince the idea of marrying a non-Japanese would be out of the question, especially since there are so few of them to begin with.
Any marriage to some one who is not pure Japanese would be troublesome and likely not allowed. Even with Masako her ancestry was checked to make sure she did not have any Korean bloodlines.

But Japan and Korea always had a tough relashionship to begin with, of course for an Heir even if its a foreign Princess, they will not allow the marriage, for them is out of question to have a future half-breed generation. As for the Princesses, I think at first it would be a "cultural/race shock" in the Japanese point of view if they were to marry a foreign Prince, but they would allow either way, because at least it was a Prince considering they lack Japanese Princes.

I disagree. George VI, the former Duke of York, was the first member of the British Royal Family to marry outside his immediate circle of friends and associates: George VI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

His wife, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, although an aristocrat, is not from a royal dynasty such as the Hapsburgs, Hohenzollern, and Saxe-Coburg and Gotha: Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prior to this, the Prince of Wales and immediate members of the Royal Family would always marry a German prince or princess.

Given that this is the case, why do you suppose it be "strange" for members of different royal families to be married, unless of course, you happen to believe that race instead of class would be the real issue in this case?

This is just wrong on many levels.

1. Royals before George VI did not marry inside an immediate circle of friends and associates. They married for dynastic reasons, typically to someone they had met infrequently before.

2. George VI was not the first member of the British Royal family to marry an aristocrat without a princely heritage. He was the first who would go on to become monarch, but younger children marrying British aristocrats has happened at least once a generation since the reign of George III.

3. British royals did not always marry Germans, just predominantly. In each generation since George I there have been one case of British royals marrying Greek, Danish, Norwegian, and/or Dutch royals.

4. The practice of predominantly marrying German royals ended with the children of Edward VII. Of his 3 children who married, George V married the British-born Mary of Teck (whose father was German and mother was a British Princess descended from George III), Louise, Princess Royal married a Scottish nobleman, Alexander Duff, 1st Duke of Fife, and Princess Maud married Haakon VII of Norway.

5. George VI was not the first of his siblings to marry. He married in 1923, but the year before hi sister, Mary, Princess Royal, married the British noble Henry Lascelles, 6th Earl of Harewood.

I disagree. George VI, the former Duke of York, was the first member of the British Royal Family to marry outside his immediate circle of friends and associates

King James II of England, Scotland and Ireland was married to Anne Hyde in his first marriage, and both their daughters became queens of England, and their younger daughter was the first queen of Great Britain.

In 1793 Augustus Frederick, duke of Sussex, a younger son of George III, married lady Augusta Murray.

And when it comes to a prince of Wales, the future George IV married unlawfully Maria Fitzherbert in 1785.

Back
Top Bottom