Engagement & Wedding of Princess Ayako and Kei Moriya 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So 6 princesses remained in the Imperial Family. It is known whether one of the princesses (probably Yoko or Akiko) has someone?
Akiko was rumored to have dated a senior researcher in Kyoto in 2009. However, he was said to have been a "lady killer" type and not very well received and has since married. Following Prince Tomohito's death, it seems Akiko intends to remain and protect Mikasa-no-miya.

Yoko reportedly said in the past that she wanted to marry and have a family yet that seemed to change after Prince Tomohito's death as well. Not much rumors since 2012.

Tsuguko allegedly has been dating an employee of a mega bank think tank for several years. One rumor says there were marriage plans 2 years ago. Another rumor says when Tsuguko invited her boyfriend to Takamado residence to meet her family, he unfortunately made a poor impression on Princesses Hisako and Yuriko. There could be opposition from mother and grandmother.

The Takamado residence often hosts tea ceremonies and dinner parties; Princess Hisako has many opportunities to scout for suitable marriage partners for her daughters. Hisako's policy is that "romance and marriage are different" and she's carefully judging each personality.

Sources are weekly magazines so take with a grain (or more) of salt: smart-flash.jp August 2018 and Jprime July 2018

Princess Akiko of Mikasa and Princess Tsugiko of Takamado are said to have boyfriends.

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/6618654.html (please, scroll down to see black-and-white photos of Princess Tsugiko with a boyfriend).
Yes, here's the full photo with date. Either the photos were taken or magazine issue was September 4, 2014.
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/royalfamily_picture/imgs/5/6/5683ac99.jpg

Pink wedding dress? Lovely!!! Can't wait to see pictures tomorow! I wonder if it will be soft pink.
I hope the news analysts are correct! ?

There are so many lovely personal touches to this wedding, from the Emperor's chrysanthemum emblazoned car carrying the bride to the Meiji shrine, to Mr. Komura being loaned Prince Takamado's top hat, to the bonbonniere with Ayako's personal emblem. This seems like much warmer and more personal wedding than Noriko's.

Thank you for all the additional details, Prisma!
You're welcome. I've been super excited. :D
I think Noriko's wedding was a bit trickier. She had to marry at Izumo Shrine in Shimane Prefecture instead of Tokyo. The Emperor and Empress did send the same car to take her to the airport. Noriko's wedding bonbonniere also had her emblem as did Sayako's wedding bonbonniere.

I feel for princess Mako. It must be hard to go through your (imperial) family member's wedding (even with a bridegroom named Kei) in the month you were supposed to marry.
Yea... Mako and Kei would have married on November 4th. How strange that of all the names in Japan, both grooms have the same sounding name. The characters are different.
守谷慧 Moriya Kei
小室圭 Komuro Kei

Thank you, Prisma, for the information about the wedding - it seems like a very nice ceremony and I love all the traditional kimonos. I find it interesting that they're having French food instead of Japanese food at the reception, is it common for wealthier Japanese families to eat more Western food at formal occasions?
Ayako looks gorgeous; though I also do feel for Mako, after all she went through with her engagement.
I don't know if it's the custom for wealthier families but state banquets feature French cuisine since the days of Emperor Taisho. Perhaps that policy trickled down.

Akiko was rumored to have dated a senior researcher in Kyoto in 2009. However, he was said to have been a "lady killer" type and not very well received and has since married. Following Prince Tomohito's death, it seems Akiko intends to remain and protect Mikasa-no-miya.

Yoko reportedly said in the past that she wanted to marry and have a family yet that seemed to change after Prince Tomohito's death as well. Not much rumors since 2012.

Tsuguko allegedly has been dating an employee of a mega bank think tank for several years. One rumor says there were marriage plans 2 years ago. Another rumor says when Tsuguko invited her boyfriend to Takamado residence to meet her family, he unfortunately made a poor impression on Princesses Hisako and Yuriko. There could be opposition from mother and grandmother.

The Takamado residence often hosts tea ceremonies and dinner parties; Princess Hisako has many opportunities to scout for suitable marriage partners for her daughters. Hisako's policy is that "romance and marriage are different" and she's carefully judging each personality.

Sources are weekly magazines so take with a grain (or more) of salt: smart-flash.jp August 2018 and Jprime July 2018

Yes, here's the full photo with date. Either the photos were taken or magazine issue was September 4, 2014.
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/royalfamily_picture/imgs/5/6/5683ac99.jpg

Wasn't this the magazine that reported some pretty awful things of Tsuguko years ago? (Apparently she was bad mouthing Empress Michiko and Cp Masako...Called the Empress an old b word and Cp Masako barren amongst other things...)

Here are some first photos of the wedding banquet today, October 30:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** gettyimages gallery **

She looks absolutely wonderful :flowers:

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/royalfamily_picture/imgs/5/6/5683ac99.jpg ...
Thanks for the full photoshoot!:flowers::flowers:
It is unusual to see informal photos of an Imperial Princess in a magazine. It is sad to learn about unfortunate developments in Princess Akiko's life

Last edited:
I have to leave for work soon but here’s additional info and screenshots:

Mainichi gallery, includes bonbonniere and the IHA updating the Record of Imperial Lineage, an imperial family register.

Entrance and speeches from Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Crown Prince Naruhito:

Imperial family members, Abe attend wedding banquet - The Mainichi
"Please make a joyous family full of smiles by taking care of each other," said the crown prince, who also spoke about his experience of meeting with Moriya's grandparents while he was studying in Britain.

Details on Ayako's dress for the banquet from fnn.jp. Great ~5 minute video of dress and interviews with designer and hairstylist. I took screenshots because FNN removes their videos later...

reception_dress.jpg
top.jpg
bodice.jpg
details.jpg

- Norio Suzuki, a longtime designer for the Takamado family. Worked in Paris for 3 years and also designs for entertainers and movie costumes
- Suzuki has a long relationship with Takamado-no-miya. He designed a maternity evening dress for Princess Hisako in 1990 (pregnant with Ayako)
- He also designed Noriko's wedding banquet dress in 2014. She also wore a tiara!!!!!
- Kimie Moriya gave the pink silk to the Takamado family in 2014. At the time, she was managing director at NPO Children without Borders

Noriko with Mr. Suzuki in 2014. I want close ups of her tiara!
Noriko_tiara.jpg
Noriko_tiara2.jpg

Ikue Yamazaki, 2nd generation of the Ikue Yamazaki Salon, styled Ayako's hair and makeup for the Choken-no-Gi ceremony last week and the wedding banquet. She also has a long history with the Takamado family.

Ayako requested a new hair style for the banquet, different from her time in the Imperial family. It's half up with a braid down the back.

According to the tweet, Princess Yoko is rumored to be absent because of poor health.

Guests before the arrivals of the CP couple and Mr. and Mrs. Moriya.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqxCZvuU8AEhiWM.jpg

Another fnn.jp video includes Ayako's childhood friend Shoko Kondo unpacking the bonbonniere. She also got the bouquet.

Princess Mako and the Kurodas (?)
mako.jpg
mako2.jpg

ANN video:

I don't know if it's the custom for wealthier families but state banquets feature French cuisine since the days of Emperor Taisho. Perhaps that policy trickled down.

Thank you for answering, Prisma, and another thanks for the abundance of information and photos you have provided for the wedding!

[...]
View attachment 301464
View attachment 301465
[...]
I am amazed by the pictures of Princess Noriko and Mr. Suzuki. Because at her own wedding reception, Princess Noriko wore a diamond diamond brooch at the side of her chignon, instead of a tiara. Also, her necklace was a different one form the pictures with Mr. Suzuki, while the gown appears to be the same. Were there several receptions? Or did she pose with the designer at his workshop, and then decide to wear different jewels for the actual reception?

Anyway, Princess Ayako looked lovely at her wedding reception. Her hairstyle and gown seem to show that she wanted to create a very personal look for her wedding, something quite different from her from her former official look as an Imperial Princess. And I find it amazing to see her with another tiara at the reception, I'd love to know more about it. It likes a bit like a convertible necklace to me.

I am amazed by the pictures of Princess Noriko and Mr. Suzuki. Because at her own wedding reception, Princess Noriko wore a diamond diamond brooch at the side of her chignon, instead of a tiara. Also, her necklace was a different one form the pictures with Mr. Suzuki, while the gown appears to be the same. Were there several receptions? Or did she pose with the designer at his workshop, and then decide to wear different jewels for the actual reception?

Anyway, Princess Ayako looked lovely at her wedding reception. Her hairstyle and gown seem to show that she wanted to create a very personal look for her wedding, something quite different from her from her former official look as an Imperial Princess. And I find it amazing to see her with another tiara at the reception, I'd love to know more about it. It likes a bit like a convertible necklace to me.

There was an earlier, private reception for Noriko, but for some reason I recall her wearing kimono for that one. Maybe there were additional private celebrations in addition to that and the reception for the Imperial family and members of of the government?

I have to leave for work soon but here’s additional info and screenshots:

Mainichi gallery, includes bonbonniere and the IHA updating the Record of Imperial Lineage, an imperial family register.

Entrance and speeches from Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Crown Prince Naruhito:

Imperial family members, Abe attend wedding banquet - The Mainichi

Details on Ayako's dress for the banquet from fnn.jp. Great ~5 minute video of dress and interviews with designer and hairstylist. I took screenshots because FNN removes their videos later...

View attachment 301463
View attachment 301468
View attachment 301469
View attachment 301470

- Norio Suzuki, a longtime designer for the Takamado family. Worked in Paris for 3 years and also designs for entertainers and movie costumes
- Suzuki has a long relationship with Takamado-no-miya. He designed a maternity evening dress for Princess Hisako in 1990 (pregnant with Ayako)
- He also designed Noriko's wedding banquet dress in 2014. She also wore a tiara!!!!!
- Kimie Moriya gave the pink silk to the Takamado family in 2014. At the time, she was managing director at NPO Children without Borders

View attachment 301464
View attachment 301465

Ikue Yamazaki, 2nd generation of the Ikue Yamazaki Salon, styled Ayako's hair and makeup for the Choken-no-Gi ceremony last week and the wedding banquet. She also has a long history with the Takamado family.

Ayako requested a new hair style for the banquet, different from her time in the Imperial family. It's half up with a braid down the back.

According to the tweet, Princess Yoko is rumored to be absent because of poor health.

Guests before the arrivals of the CP couple and Mr. and Mrs. Moriya.

Another fnn.jp video includes Ayako's childhood friend Shoko Kondo unpacking the bonbonniere. She also got the bouquet.

Princess Mako and the Kurodas (?)
View attachment 301466
View attachment 301467

ANN video:

Prisma, thank you so much for all the links. I enjoyed all of them very much, and there was wealth of information in them. My Japanese is almost non existent, but I was still able to catch the gist of most of them with your explanations.

The pink dress looks lovely on Ayako, although I wouldn't say it is a particularly fashionable design. It suited her and the event, and the connection to her husband's mother and family was extremely touching.

It looked to me as though the bonbonniere also referenced her husband which was a nice and unexpected touch.

But the best thing was how happy both the bride and groom looked. I always was a bit skeptical about Noriko's marriage, but this one at least looks as though there is a real connection between Ayako and Kei Moriya. Best wishes to both of them!

:previous: You're welcome. I'm happy to share!
Wasn't this the magazine that reported some pretty awful things of Tsuguko years ago? (Apparently she was bad mouthing Empress Michiko and Cp Masako...Called the Empress an old b word and Cp Masako barren amongst other things...)
I don't know. I wasn't into the Imperial family then. I try to avoid magazines but I do see headlines when I look for news. Sometimes I caved to my curiosity. Tabloids are the same everywhere. It's not surprising Tsuguko would have been a target at some point. She took longer to graduate from university and was rumored to have partied a bit.

Michiko lost her voice after bad/malicious press; Masako's been bashed for 10+ years because of her adjustment disorder and lack of public service. I'm still upset the gossip magazines went after Aiko, especially in late 2016-early 2017 when she was thin and clearly going through something. They couldn't leave her alone. They stalked and published photos of Aiko on her way to school and tried to blame Masako. After Aiko regained health, the magazines moved onto calling her fat. Current target is Kei Komuro. :ermm:

Tilia C. and Ista: yes, you're correct. Noriko had a reception in Shimane Prefecture and another reception in Tokyo. Maybe she changed or there was 3rd reception?

Maybe the necklace (worn in Tokyo) was mounted on a frame?
https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...incess-masako-during-a-to-picture-id458558662

It's too bad the Imperial family doesn't share jewels much. The more I see of Ayako's tiara, the more I like it. Guess we'll only see Tsuguko's tiara properly when she marries.

Noriko wore a kimono at the banquet (or some event) in Shimane Prefecture:

Last edited:
Is it just me or has Ayako and Kei's wedding gotten more international attention than other weddings of the Imperial princesses?

Is it just me or has Ayako and Kei's wedding gotten more international attention than other weddings of the Imperial princesses?

I think part of this may be that the couple come across as being very engaging. In addition, we've already had two other royal weddings this year, so there may have been additional interest stirred up due to that.

did we get any pictures of the family who attended the wedding? i have unfortunately only seen photos of the couple and the crown princely couple.

Here are some first photos of the wedding banquet today, October 30:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** gettyimages gallery **

I found it a bit amusing to see Prime Minister Abe share the (small) table of honor with Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako, being that he has clashed with Emperor Akihito over and over. The dinner conversation at that table must have been remarkably polite ...

For Kei, it must be a great and special memory to have the prime minister delivering the congratulatory speech and the soon to be emperor giving the toast at his wedding!

I have a few questions:

Why did PM Abe address Ayako with a higher ranking honorific than Kei, if I'm not mistaken? I expected Ayako and Kei Moriya would be viewed as equivalent rank in after Ayako lost her royal status. Further, Kei walked ahead of Ayako into the banquet room and was addressed first at the beginning of the speech.

Is 70 guests viewed as a small or large guest list for a princess's wedding banquet?

Which emblem on the bonbonniere is referencing Kei Moriya?

Q. About family members
Moriya: I have been raised over 30 years, especially when my family supported me during hardships. Thinking back, I am full of gratitude. In the future I would like to spend our days as a good couple. I think my mother is also pleased so I would like to ask her to please watch over me in the future.

Ayako: It's been 28 years since my happy birth. I am glad to show you happiness while my grandmothers are healthy. My feelings towards my family do not change when married. We would like to cooperate with ourselves so that our families can keep watching with affection as ever. I am sorry my father is not here but he is surely pleased with my marriage and I want to tell you that I will make efforts to become a couple like my mother and father.

[...]

Ayako: (he's) tailored for today…and (top hat Moriya carried), I'm very happy because I lent items from my father. I was nervous but I was thrilled to see how he looked. I look forward to Takamado-no-miya for good services in the future. (laugh) [this refers to Princess Hisako's introduction]

[...]

Ayako's dress is expected to be pink silk with white lace and has special meaning for both families. Kei's mother Kimie, who supported developing countries, gave Princess Hisako pink silk made by Cambodian women. This is the silk used for Ayako's dress instead of the customary Japanese silk.

I wondered how the couple would remember the parents who had passed on on their special day, and it is lovely to learn that Prince Takamado and Kimie Moriya were honored with so many details of the wedding (the top hat from Prince Takamado, the pink silk from Kimie Moriya's project in Cambodia, Ayako's wish to become a couple like her parents, etc.) Ayako's funny callback to her mother's introduction is nice as well.

I think part of this may be that the couple come across as being very engaging. In addition, we've already had two other royal weddings this year, so there may have been additional interest stirred up due to that.

There are also the impending abdication and Princess Mako and Kei Komuro's wedding postponement to pique interest in the imperial family.

I agree there's more attention due to 2 royal weddings already. The upcoming abdication and Princess Mako's planned engagement and unusual postponement bring additional interest.

I assume interest was high for Princess Sayako's marriage as she was the Emperor's daughter and being the 1st princess to leave the family since Princess Masako of Mikasa in 1983.

carlota: here are Princess Hisako, her mother Fumiko, Princess Tsuguko, and Noriko Senge at the bottom table

Mako and the Kurodas
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqxybfCU0AAdzsP.jpg

More relatives:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqzeYBMV4AAaHkE.jpg

The Akishino couple were seated at the main table with the Moriyas, Abes, and CP couple.
akishino.jpg

cg8makt's combined video of the wedding at Meiji Shrine. My observations and IDs with timestamps below:

0:55 friends enter courtyard
1:30 Ayako and Kei leave Kaguraden to worship at the shrine
3:46 This is cute. Kei's so focused on walking slowly that Ayako taps Kei on the back with her fan so they can acknowledge the crowds together. :D
4:24 Konoe and Sen cousins + spouses?
4:40 Gathered for a group photo?
4:42 Princesses Tsuguko and Yoko (with Princesses Hisako and Yuriko in front/below?)
4:58 Princess Tsuguko appears
5:16 Princesses Akiko and Yoko leave
5:48 Masako Sen appears on the steps. Staff direct cars. She leaves with her son? Camera's is very wobbly here.
6:22 Yasuko and Tadateru Konoe bid farewell to a couple (Makiko Sen and husband?)
6:40 Princess Tsuguko and cousin Tadahiro Konoe move into view. More farewells.
6:56 Princess Hisako appears to give staff instructions while the Konoes depart
7:15 Princess Tsuguko nodding to someone
7:25 Noriko Senge (wearing a black kimono) leaves
7:47 Princesses Hisako and Tsuguko leave
CP Naruhito and CP Masako arrive for banquet
Prince Akishino, Princess Kiko, and Princess Mako arrive for the banquet

Last edited:
... [snipped]
carlota: here are Princess Hisako, her mother Fumiko, Princess Tsuguko, and Noriko Senge at the bottom table
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqxCZvuU8AEhiWM.jpg ... [snipped]
I wonder why Mrs Senge attended the wedding without her husband. I read rumours that Mrs Senge became disillusioned with a married life. I dismissed them as false.

Last edited:
:previous: Yea... it's odd the last time we saw Noriko and Kunimaro together was...well, their wedding. He did not accompany her at her father's memorial anniversaries or Prince Mikasa's funeral. Now he's absent from his sister-in-law's wedding. :ermm:

This wedding is a treasure trove of information!

Latest fnn.jp video. I'm skipping the first (money gifts) and last bits (finances).

Menu and drinks at the banquet. I assume Kei was born in 1986 as that's the red wine vintage. There's a 1990 sweet wine for Ayako.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dq5ZMlcU0AAvjzg.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dq5ZOJOVYAAnXjD.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dq5ZPU3UUAA-TWu.jpg

Shôgo Kariyazaki designed wedding bouquets for Ayako Moriya and Noriko Senge. Photos of him with the Takamado family:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dq5d_AWUcAAr2G-.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dq5eCMNU4AAKX-K.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dq5eD-cU8AITPK_.jpg

Ayako and Kei visited Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko on November 1st to report the completion of the wedding. That's the last ritual. Whew!
Source: Sankei

:previous: Yea... it's odd the last time we saw Noriko and Kunimaro together was...well, their wedding. He did not accompany her at her father's memorial anniversaries or Prince Mikasa's funeral. Now he's absent from his sister-in-law's wedding. :ermm:

Mr Senge is a priest. Perhaps his life is retired and special. Could it be?

ETA: NHK reports the couple will live in a new apartment in Minato Ward, Tokyo. Ayako's continued research position with Josai International University is still under consultation.

The Moriya family is already involved in the charity organisation. Mrs Ayako Moriya can take over the late Mrs Moriya's duties.

It may be a real possibility if Ayako is indeed mulling over leaving her research position. Hopefully, she is not feeling pressure to end her career for the sole reason that she is now a married woman. Sayako did resign from her job after marrying Yoshiki Kuroda; did Noriko work in a regular career prior to marriage?

I assume interest was high for Princess Sayako's marriage as she was the Emperor's daughter and being the 1st princess to leave the family since Princess Masako of Mikasa in 1983.

In addition, PM Koizumi's propositions were expected to be passed into law, and therefore it was believed at the time of Sayako's wedding that she was the last princess who would be required to leave the imperial family for a long time (until the number of royals grew abundantly large and the princes and princesses who were furthest from the throne would begin to leave the imperial family when they married).

Sankei report about Princess Hisako. Mother and 3 daughters have strong bonds these 16 years since Prince Takamado's passing. Ayako has supported her mother in public and private. After Ayako's engagement was announced, Hisako responded with "One more to go" to an congratulatory email sent from an acquaintance.

From the email, the acquaintance felt Princess Hisako's joy and sense of responsibility to send out the 3 princesses properly.

I don't know. I wasn't into the Imperial family then. I try to avoid magazines but I do see headlines when I look for news. Sometimes I caved to my curiosity. Tabloids are the same everywhere. It's not surprising Tsuguko would have been a target at some point. She took longer to graduate from university and was rumored to have partied a bit.

Michiko lost her voice after bad/malicious press; Masako's been bashed for 10+ years because of her adjustment disorder and lack of public service. I'm still upset the gossip magazines went after Aiko, especially in late 2016-early 2017 when she was thin and clearly going through something. They couldn't leave her alone. They stalked and published photos of Aiko on her way to school and tried to blame Masako. After Aiko regained health, the magazines moved onto calling her fat. Current target is Kei Komuro. :ermm:

Some of them seem to have no tolerance for any differences from their concept of a model royal (or partner of a royal). :ermm:

I have wondered whether the stories of Princess Hisako's attitude toward her daughters' marriages were informed or not. Neither Prince Takamado nor his daughters turned out to be "traditional" royals, and I would therefore suspect that nor is Princess Takamado an extreme traditionalist. On the other hand, Noriko and Ayako certainly married husbands with especially "suitable" pedigrees.

I greatly appreciate your summaries of magazine reports. As observed time and again, they frequently prove to be a crucial element in making sense out of the public's feelings towards the imperial family and the imperial family's attempts to answer to them, e.g., the reasons for the public backlash to Princess Mako's engagement and why it led to the postponement.

cg8makt's combined video of the wedding at Meiji Shrine. My observations and IDs with timestamps below:

0:55 friends enter courtyard
1:30 Ayako and Kei leave Kaguraden to worship at the shrine
3:46 This is cute. Kei's so focused on walking slowly that Ayako taps Kei on the back with her fan so they can acknowledge the crowds together. :D
4:24 Konoe and Sen cousins + spouses?
4:40 Gathered for a group photo?
4:42 Princesses Tsuguko and Yoko (with Princesses Hisako and Yuriko in front/below?)
4:58 Princess Tsuguko appears
5:16 Princesses Akiko and Yoko leave
5:48 Masako Sen appears on the steps. Staff direct cars. She leaves with her son? Camera's is very wobbly here.
6:22 Yasuko and Tadateru Konoe bid farewell to a couple (Makiko Sen and husband?)
6:40 Princess Tsuguko and cousin Tadahiro Konoe move into view. More farewells.
6:56 Princess Hisako appears to give staff instructions while the Konoes depart
7:15 Princess Tsuguko nodding to someone
7:25 Noriko Senge (wearing a black kimono) leaves
7:47 Princesses Hisako and Tsuguko leave

Thank you for the identifications, especially the relatives who are unknown outside Japan.

During the lead up to the wedding, Ayako showed her consideration for her mother. At the October 2nd exhibition of Princess Hisako's Netsuke photographs, Ayako was the center of attention yet she constantly positioned herself away until urged to stand by her mother by others.

That was very considerate of her, particularly in view of being one of Ayako's final opportunities to experience attention from the press (provided the Sea Cadets don't become involved in a breaking news story ;)).

It may be a real possibility if Ayako is indeed mulling over leaving her research position. Hopefully, she is not feeling pressure to end her career for the sole reason that she is now a married woman. Sayako did resign from her job after marrying Yoshiki Kuroda; did Noriko work in a regular career prior to marriage? ...
As far as I know, Princess Noriko has a degree in clinical psychology. I did not read anything about her job.

Last edited:
- Princess Yuriko did not attend the banquet due to fatigue.
- CP Naruhito's speech mentioned Ayako serving as swimming assistant to the Gakushin Girls’ secondary school. She is popular with Aiko’s classmates.
- Bonbonniere also had the Moriya family crest
- The ship inside the lid refers to Kei’s employer, shipping company Nippon Yusen, and to signify a new life

Source: Sankei Imperial Weekly #563

Various photos of Princesses Hisako and Tsuguko:
https://www.sankei.com/images/news/181102/lif1811020002-p39.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dqx459rX0AEFEBC.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dq9RAWsUwAEX9Fr.jpg
http://hiromihiromi.sakura.ne.jp/01/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/ツグコ2-1-486x290.png
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrHrXvaVAAE6qv6.jpg

I *think* Tsuguko is wearing the kimono from 2015 spring garden party
https://www.sankei.com/images/news/150425/prm1504250025-p1.jpg

Last edited:
I can't remember if I posted this. Japan Forward (Sankei's English site) translated the full engagement press conference:

'Pleased and Thrilled' Princess Ayako, Fiancé Moriya Take Questions | JAPAN Forward

Some interesting bits, hopefully I've skipped already posted info:
Princess Ayako: ... Earlier this year, after dinner at a restaurant, he proposed to me. It was so sudden, I told him I would need to think about it. After meeting with mutual friends and family, I thought this must be the one, so in April I responded, “It would be my pleasure.”

[...]

Princess Ayako: ... Regarding my name for him, I call him Kei-san.

Moriya: I suppose I should generally be calling her Miya-sama or Ayako-sama, but we decided to avoid using such names in public, so I have been calling her Ayako-san.

[...]

Princess Ayako: ... I do not know in what way I will be employing my knowledge of child welfare or elderly welfare from now on, but I would like to work hard to bring happiness to the home I am founding with Mr. Moriya...

[...]

Moriya: ... As for my motto, it would be “steady progress.” One step at a time, or even a half step at a time. Always facing forward and accept not only your successes, but also your oversteps and mistakes, and the tough times along with the good. And, finally, be ready to apologize so that you can face forward again—this is the sort of mindset with which I prepare for a challenge...
Japan Times article for Princess Ayako's wedding, including congratulations from embassies:
http://info.japantimes.co.jp/ads/pdf/20181029-Princess_Ayako--s_wedding.pdf

Apparently, there was a reception for ambassadors on November 12, 2018 to celebrate Ayako and Kei's marriage.

Attendance at the Marriage Reception for Mrs. Ayako Moriya, Formerly H.I.H. Princess Ayako of Takamado - The Embassy of Afghanistan in Tokyo
November 12, 2018: It was an honor and pleasure for His Excellency Ambassador Dr. Bashir Mohabbat to attend the marriage reception for Mrs. Ayako Moriya, formerly H.I.H. Princess Ayako of Takamado and her new Husband Mr. Kei Moriya, by the noble invitation of Her Imperial Highness Princess Takamado, at the Hotel New Otani in Tokyo. [...]

October 26, 2018
- Kashikodokoro-Koreiden-Shinden-ni-Essuru-no-Gi (Ceremony of Worshiping at the Three Palace Sanctuaries in the Imperial Palace)
- Choken-no-Gi (Ceremony of Audience)

October 29, 2018: arrival at Meiji Jingu, shrine worship, and talking to press after the ceremony
October 30, 2018: wedding reception at Hotel New Otani, speeches from Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Crown Prince Naruhito

Back
Top Bottom