Engagement & Wedding of Princess Ayako and Kei Moriya 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Correction: Kei's father Osamu Moriya worked at the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (1979 - 2006). He was NOT the minister. He graduated from the Department of Economics, University of Tokyo and obtained at MBA at Cornell University. After retiring, the elder Moriya holds director, auditor, and senior vice president positions at various companies.

Source: Japanese wiki - 守谷治 ... [snipped]
Belonging to a high aristocratic family (kuge), Late Mrs Moriya had an illustrious career too. She graduated from Waseda University with distinction and was fluent in French and Italian. She worked for various charity organisations such as "Médecins Sans Frontières" and "Children Without Borders" (http://knk.or.jp/). Princess Takamado met Late Mrs Moriya at "Children Without Borders" event in 2011.

Last edited:
On July 2nd, Princess Ayako and Princess Hisako visited the Imperial Palace in the morning to report Ayako's engagement to Their Majesties. Unfortunately, Emperor Akihito fell ill hours earlier so Empress Michiko received the customary greetings alone. [Sankei, Jiji]

Photos: Sankei 2 (updated)
https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/photo_news/images/658/0027540412.jpg
https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/photo_news/images/658/0027540438.jpg
https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/photo_news/images/658/0027540766.jpg

Princess Hisako's statement: Sankei (Google translation)

Kei Moriya and Princess Hisako at the 20th anniversary celebration of Children without Borders in November 2017:
http://www.sankei.com/images/news/180702/lif1807020023-p1.jpg

Imperial Household Agency announces engagement of Princess Ayako to businessman - The Mainichi

Kei Moriya’s family photos: Mainichi

Some photos of Ayako and Kei at work: Asahi, Asahi 2

ANN news clip on Emperor's illness, Ayako and Hisako leaving the Imperial Palace, and the IHA official's press conference:
Correction: A senior agency official, Takaharu Kachi, made the announcement of the couple's engagement. [English Jiji]

ETA: news24.jp video of press conference

During the press conference, Princess Ayako expressed concern for Emperor Akihito's condition and condolences for victims of the recent Osaka earthquake. [Mainichi]

Kei Moriya proposed after a restaurant date (in April?). [Sankei]

Princess Ayako, Moriya express delight at their engagement - The Mainichi
[...]

"I am very happy," Princess Ayako, 27, said at a televised news conference in Tokyo following an official announcement of their engagement earlier in the day. She said she was attracted to Moriya for being a "kind, intelligent and decisive" man.

Moriya, a 32-year-old employee at major shipping firm Nippon Yusen K.K., said that Princess Ayako is a "bright and positive person" who is friendly to anyone she interacts with.

[...]

The two first met last December as Princess Hisako, the wife of Prince Takamado, introduced Moriya to her daughter, hoping to interest Princess Ayako in international welfare activities by meeting Moriya, who is a board member of a nonprofit organization supporting children in developing countries.

Princess Hisako has known Moriya's father for 40 years since both were university students in Britain. Moriya's deceased mother was a senior director of the organization, Kokkyo naki Kodomotachi (Children without Borders), and Princess Hisako attended many of its events.

[...]
Japan celebrates engagement of Princess Ayako to businessman - The Mainichi
[...] Prime Minister Shinzo Abe welcomed the "very good news" and said that "together with the public, I would like to extend my heartfelt congratulations."

In a statement issued following the announcement, Princess Hisako, the mother of Princess Ayako, said, "I feel they are a perfect match."

Princess Hisako, who has known Moriya's parents and introduced Moriya, 32, to Princess Ayako, 27, said she agreed to their marriage because she believed Moriya is a kind man with strong values.

[...]

The Imperial Household Agency's Grand Steward Shinichiro Yamamoto said Princess Ayako has "sincerely engaged" in a number of official duties and fully supported Princess Hisako.

"Mr. Moriya is a brilliant person suitable for Princess Ayako and we are delighted with their impending engagement," he said.

[...]

Katsumi Kusuhara, 84, who was taking a stroll near the Imperial Palace in Tokyo, said, "I think Princess Ayako is a mature woman. I want her to build a happy family."

A 69-year-old man who lives near Moriya's apartment in Tokyo called the engagement "wonderful" and said, "Mr. Moriya is a pleasant man and a good fit for elegant Princess Ayako."

Last edited:
Prisma, thank you for all these details! I'm finding the involvement of Princess Hisako in the introduction between Ayako and Kei Moriya very interesting. Last year when my DH and I were in Japan, we had several conversations with young women, some of whom were married, and some who were not, and they all talked about the resurgence of matchmaking. The expectation is that to be successful (or just to make ends meet) you have to work very hard, and very long hours, and for many young people, there simply is not time to find a suitable partner. In an increasing number of cases, those who want to get married are turning to matchmakers to meet potential partners, in these women's experience. Considering the additional barriers an Imperial princess would be facing in meeting the right person, Princess Hisako's involvement makes sense.

Last edited:
I just watched the whole interview, and would love to know what Princess Ayako and Kei Moriya said at different points in the interview that produced the big laughs from the press!

It looked to me as though both Ayako and Kei Moriya were consulting notes as they answered, so I am assuming that most if not all of the questions had been submitted beforehand.

I thought this couple was an interesting contrast to Princess Mako and Kei Komura; the advantage of being a bit older and having some additional life experience.

Also, I thought Ayako looked lovely, and, for an Imperial lady, her hat was downright exuberant! And how cute was it that Kei Moriya's tie matched Ayako's dress.

The groom seemed very nervous. Looks like he is a friendly person.

It's indeed quite a contrast with Mako and Kei last year. They were clearly over the moon about each other. These two seem to enjoy a friendship that apparently is a good enough basis to get married as it's considered a good match for both parties.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update!
The couple looked lovely. Mr Moriya comes across as a confident gentleman. His demeanour is poised.
... [snipped]Also, I thought Ayako looked lovely, and, for an Imperial lady, her hat was downright exuberant! And how cute was it that Kei Moriya's tie matched Ayako's dress.
Right you are about Princess Ayako's hat. Her hat reminded me of the British ones.

Last edited:
I don't know if Ayako and Kei's press conference will be translated to English so here's the full Japanese text from Sankei and google translation link.

Bits from English articles:

Princess knew right away she had found the right man for her: The Asahi Shimbun
[...]

"Our conversation was very lively and did not feel like it was the first time we had met," Ayako said. "We forgot the passage of time as we really enjoyed ourselves."

She said Moriya proposed at a Tokyo restaurant earlier this year. Although she did not accept immediately, Ayako began to feel that he was the right man and finally said yes in April.

Moriya [...] said their psychological distance had also narrowed due to the fact that both had lost a parent. Ayako's father died in 2002.

Because of that background, Ayako said, "We hold the common understanding that what we have today may not necessarily be with us tomorrow."

[...]
Japan Princess Ayako introduces her future husband, a shipping employee - CNN
[...]

"I have no idea what my mother's expectation about introducing me to Mr. Moriya," she said amid laughter. "I feel it was a great opportunity readied by our mothers as we grew to feel attracted to each other through many outings and sharing memories."

Moriya, whose mother passed away in 2015, said that he was struck by Ayako's kindness and wanted to spend his life with her.

"I felt even closer to her when she showed understanding of the mental impact of the sudden loss of my mother," he said.

[...]

"I would like to form a warm family full of laughter. We both have the experience of sudden loss of an irreplaceable parent, his mother for Mr. Moriya and my father for me," she said. "We would not take everyday life for granted and want to find the happiness and fun in the daily life."

[...]
Princess Ayako says she and fiance Kei Moriya hit it off from the start | The Japan Times
“I am worried that the Emperor is not feeling well, but I was able to meet with the Empress and receive warm, cordial words from both their majesties,” Princess Ayako said, adding that she wants to keep the content of their message to herself.
ETA: Kei wore a pink tie to match Ayako's dress. Cute. Kunimaro Senge also wore a pink tie to match Noriko's pink outfit in 2014. (^__^)

Princess Ayako of Takamado to Marry at Meiji Shrine in October | JAPAN Forward

Princess Ayako is now the honorary president of two organizations, positions handed over from her mother, Princess Hisako. She also attends functions of groups relating to social welfare for the disabled, one of her areas of interest.

Princess Ayako must now decide whether to continue the honorary positions after her marriage, a process that will happen “through consultations with the organizations,” according to the Imperial Household Agency.
Sankei and Jiji versions of the press conference:

Last edited:
Very sweet! :flowers: They both seem nice, and it seems solid.

"I have no idea what my mother's expectation about introducing me to Mr. Moriya," she said amid laughter. "I feel it was a great opportunity readied by our mothers as we grew to feel attracted to each other through many outings and sharing memories."

Ah, so that's what the laughter was about! Mothers are always good for a laugh, since we either all have them, or are mothers ourselves!

The 4 engagement press conferences of the Heisei era. Princess Noriko and Kunimaro Senge didn't have flowers. They and Ayako and Kei had notes. Sayako, Mako, and their fiancés didn't.

Sherri Bell, President of Camosun College, Geoff Wilmshurst, Vice President of Camosun, and Nikka Yuko Japanese Garden congratulates Princess Ayako:

:previous: Perhaps Sayako and Mako as senior royals were more proficient public speakers.

[...]

"Our conversation was very lively and did not feel like it was the first time we had met," Ayako said. "We forgot the passage of time as we really enjoyed ourselves."

She said Moriya proposed at a Tokyo restaurant earlier this year. Although she did not accept immediately, Ayako began to feel that he was the right man and finally said yes in April.

Moriya [...] said their psychological distance had also narrowed due to the fact that both had lost a parent. Ayako's father died in 2002.

Because of that background, Ayako said, "We hold the common understanding that what we have today may not necessarily be with us tomorrow."

[...]

That's quite a personal and touching comment. They also seem to be assuring the public that despite the whirlwind courtship, they already know each other quite well, in large part due to the many friends they and their families have in common and their shared life experiences, including the early loss of a parent and attending school abroad.

I thought this couple was an interesting contrast to Princess Mako and Kei Komura; the advantage of being a bit older and having some additional life experience.

It's indeed quite a contrast with Mako and Kei last year. They were clearly over the moon about each other. These two seem to enjoy a friendship that apparently is a good enough basis to get married as it's considered a good match for both parties.

Another contrast(?): I don't remember the IHA Grand Steward referring to Kei Komuro as "brilliant" and "suitable for" the princess. (Correct me if he did.)

The Imperial Household Agency's Grand Steward Shinichiro Yamamoto said Princess Ayako has "sincerely engaged" in a number of official duties and fully supported Princess Hisako.

"Mr. Moriya is a brilliant person suitable for Princess Ayako and we are delighted with their impending engagement," he said.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20180702/p2g/00m/0dm/079000c

Moriya is in charge of the company's transactions for wooden chip transport contracts. One of his colleagues described him at work as an "intelligent and competent" person who has gained deep trust from business clients. He added Moriya becomes cheerful when he drinks alcohol.

His friend's statement was most certainly not pre-screened by the IHA. ;)

:previous:

Another contrast(?): I don't remember the IHA Grand Steward referring to Kei Komuro as "brilliant" and "suitable for" the princess. (Correct me if he did.)

I had noticed this as well. It's clear that the IHA is pointing out in a subtle way that this engagement at least is not likely to end up the way Mako and Kei Komura's seems to be going.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20180702/p2g/00m/0dm/079000c

His friend's statement was most certainly not pre-screened by the IHA. ;)

Considering how important drinking together is to the Japanese business culture, this could be construed as a positive statement: he's a cheerful drinker as opposed to a mean or morose drinker. Good to know!

Interesting detail that the princess didn't accept immediately (although that might also be part of Japanese culture). Hopefully she doesn't feel pressured or rushed in making this life-time decision.

I think we can be sure that no one is forcing her to get married. Her eldest sister seems to be proof of this. Tsuguko is 32, unmarried and apparently single, so seems to me the princesses decide when they wish to get married.

I don't think she is forced to marry (although I do think that Mako was forced not to marry (yet)) but pressure can be subtle but very effective. So yes, if she truly didn't want to, she could say no but the expectation was surely that she would accept and she needed a good reason not to. So far, they seem friends, so that's at least a good start.

Leaving the Imperial family is a huge decision. Ayako had every reason to carefully consider the proposal regardless of their quick connection. I'm glad Kei was willing to wait for an answer. Some people may be offended his/her partner didn't say "yes" immediately. Clearly he developed stronger feelings faster than she did.

Tatsuya Kondo (76) will be Kei Moriya's messenger for the Nosai-no-Gi ceremony. He will deliver the traditional gifts to the Takamado residence at 10am on August 12th. Mr. Kondo is a neurosurgeon and a member of the Cabinet Office. After the ceremony, Princesses Ayako and Hisako will visit Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko. Kei and his father will meet Their Majesties in the afternoon.

Sources: news.tv-asahi.co.jp, news24.jp

On August 12th, the Nosai-no-Gi ceremony was held at the Takamado residence. Afterward, Princesses Ayako and Hisako reported the engagement to Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko. They returned to Akasaka Estate and visited the other Imperial residences for greetings. Kei and his father will meet Their Majesties this afternoon and have dinner at the Takamado residence. [Sankei]

The IHA also released photos taken on July 20th before dinner with the Hungarian ambassador and on August 5th at Meiji Jingu Gardens.

Asahi gallery

Like the Senge family in 2014, the Moriya family substituted money for the pair of sea breams.

ETA: Ceremony held for Princess Ayako's engagement - News - NHK WORLD - English
[...] Moriya's relative, Tatsuya Kondo, served as a messenger at a traditional rite, called "Nosai-no-Gi."
He visited Princess Ayako's residence in the morning and handed her a list of gifts. The items included sacred sake and silk fabric for the dress the Princess will wear at her wedding reception.

[...]

After the ceremony, Princess Ayako and Moriya released a statement through the Imperial Household Agency.

The Princess said she was happy that the ceremony was completed. Moriya said he will live every day being grateful for their relationship. [...]
Princess Ayako engaged to commoner in traditional ceremony - The Mainichi

Princess Ayako engaged in traditional rite at her residence: The Asahi Shimbun

ETA: FNN video

Last edited:
The engagements photos look very nice. Congratulations!

The photos of Ayako and Mr. Moriya are lovely. The seem to be a nice, happy couple and the Meiji Jingu Gardens look like a beautiful location.

Thanks for the update!
Hopefully we shall see a wonderful photos of the upcoming wedding, and Mr and Mrs Senge will attend.

ETA: Ceremony held for Princess Ayako's engagement - News - NHK WORLD - English

[...] After the ceremony, Princess Ayako and Moriya released a statement through the Imperial Household Agency.

The Princess said she was happy that the ceremony was completed. Moriya said he will live every day being grateful for their relationship. [...]

His comment is very sweet!

Tatsuya Kondo (76) will be Kei Moriya's messenger for the Nosai-no-Gi ceremony. He will deliver the traditional gifts to the Takamado residence at 10am on August 12th. Mr. Kondo is a neurosurgeon and a member of the Cabinet Office. After the ceremony, Princesses Ayako and Hisako will visit Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko. Kei and his father will meet Their Majesties in the afternoon.

Sources: news.tv-asahi.co.jp, news24.jp

Moriya's relative, Tatsuya Kondo, served as a messenger at a traditional rite, called "Nosai-no-Gi."

How closely is Tatsuya Kondo related to Kei Moriya? Having a relative who is a neurosurgeon and works for the Cabinet Office, a mother who was an executive director at a global nonprofit, a father who was a bureaucrat at a cabinet ministry … I see why Mr. Moriya gained the advantage of being called "suitable" by the IHA (differently from another royal fiancé).

Princess Ayako of Takamado to Marry at Meiji Shrine in October | JAPAN Forward

Princess Ayako is now the honorary president of two organizations, positions handed over from her mother, Princess Hisako. She also attends functions of groups relating to social welfare for the disabled, one of her areas of interest.

Princess Ayako must now decide whether to continue the honorary positions after her marriage, a process that will happen “through consultations with the organizations,” according to the Imperial Household Agency.

It's noteworthy that the organizations want Ms. Ayako Moriya to continue as their president. It seems inconsistent with losing her imperial status, but it would certainly smooth the move to private life for her.

So far, the closest I found is this Yomiuri report calling Tatsuya Kondo a paternal relative.

I'm glad Ayako isn't expected to give up her patronages, especially since she was just appointed to them this year. Besides the Senges, I'm looking forward to seeing Princess Yuriko and the Kurodas. Hoping for good footage!

The Nosai-no-Gi ceremony is quick, 2 minutes according to Jiji.

I wonder if we'll ever see sea breams or formal clothes again. Money is understandably more convenient than bringing the fish. Masako and Kiko wore kimonos whereas Sayako wore court dress. Although Hisako wore a knee-length pink dress at her Nosai-no-Gi ceremony.

Mainichi gallery

Kyodo News:
Jiji: Ayako's giggle at 2:12. Hehehe.
Royal follower cg8makt:

Last edited:
Some details from NHK

September 19: Kokki-no-Gi (Ceremony of Announcing the Date)
October 26: Choken-no-Gi (Ceremony of Audience) and probably worship at the Three Palace Sanctuaries
October 30: dinner party at a hotel in Tokyo with Imperial family and members of the government

I expect Princesses Ayako and Hisako to visit Ise Shrine before September 19

Last edited:
Princess Ayako's wedding date officially set in traditional ceremony - Kyodo News
The date of the wedding [...] was officially set for Oct. 29 in a traditional ceremony held Wednesday.

In the "Kokki no Gi" rite held at the Takamado residence in Tokyo, a relative of Moriya acting as his messenger announced the date to Princess Ayako in the presence of her mother Princess Hisako. [...]

"I gratefully accept," the 28-year-old princess told 76-year-old Tatsuya Kondo, a former head of the Center Hospital of the National Center for Global Health and Medicine [...]

[...]

The day after the nuptials, a banquet to be attended by Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako as well as the heads of the three branches of government will be held at Hotel New Otani in Tokyo.

[...] the princess and her fiance are busy preparing for a series of ceremonies and their life at a new residence after their marriage. They currently do not plan to make a honeymoon trip.

[...]
Princess Ayako wore a dragonfly patterned dress worn by Princess Hisako at her informal engagement press conference in 1984. Dragonflies are said to be auspicious.

Photos: Asahi, Sankei
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnbhuY5U4AA6Oj1.jpg

A black and white photo of Prince Norihito and Hisako Tottori's press conference on August 1, 1984.
https://www.asahicom.jp/articles/images/AS20180213004741_comm.jpg

Hmm... when's the Ise Shrine visit?

ETA: Japan tweets show Princess Hisako at her 1984 press conference and she also wore the orange dragonfly dress at Princess Noriko's Kokki no Gi in 2014.

Last edited:

The fact that the wedding of the imperial family member who is lowest in the order of precedence is to be attended by the heads of the three branches of the government seems to prove the high regard for the monarchy in Japan.

Princess Ayako wore a dragonfly patterned dress worn by Princess Hisako at her informal engagement press conference in 1984. Dragonflies are said to be auspicious.

Photos: Asahi, Sankei
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnbhuY5U4AA6Oj1.jpg

A black and white photo of Prince Norihito and Hisako Tottori's press conference on August 1, 1984.
https://www.asahicom.jp/articles/images/AS20180213004741_comm.jpg

Hmm... when's the Ise Shrine visit?

ETA: Japan tweets show Princess Hisako at her 1984 press conference and she also wore the orange dragonfly dress at Princess Noriko's Kokki no Gi in 2014.

That is a lovely family tradition.

Any news in regard to whether Ayako has decided to keep or relinquish her patronages after the wedding?

thank you for all the informationa dn updates Prisma.
that is a nice touch with the orange dragonfly dress

You're welcome, polyesco!
[...]

Any news in regard to whether Ayako has decided to keep or relinquish her patronages after the wedding?
I haven't seen anything yet. I hope Ayako can keep them but Princess Hisako also attended the Canada-Japan Society meeting and Aomori sea cadet training session... which makes me suspect she taking those patronages back? :ermm:

FNN and Kyodo News videos. Music instead of commentary like ANN.

Last edited:
The Imperial Household Economy Council will meet October 11 to determine the lump sum payment for Princess Ayako's marriage.

Source: Sankei

Back
Top Bottom