Duke of Cambridge: Visit to Japan - February 26-March 1, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince William to visit Japan and China - Telegraph
The Duke of Cambridge will visit Japan and China early next year at the request of the Government, Kensington Palace has confirmed, but the Duchess will not risk the trip because of her pregnancy.

The Duke will spend three days in each country in February and March at the request of the Government.

His visit will be the most high-profile royal visit to China since the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh toured the country in 1986.

Saw that. Seems well versed. But did I miss something? No mention of the Emperor and Empress. Kind of expected them. :p

I am surprised that he is not likely to meet Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko. I know that William is only second in line to the throne, but the Japanese imperial couple uses to meet all kinds of official persons who is visiting Japan, Monarchs, Crown Princes, Crown Princesses, Princes, Princesses, Presidents, Prime Ministers and Foreign Ministers etc.

I'm sure William could had an audience with them if he had wanted to. I have previously read in Japanese media that several official persons have been offered a audience, but they have declined it because they didn't have time or it didn' fit.

Last edited:
This is the briefing that Miguel Head has given on the visit to Japan. Apparently more details will be released - possibly mtg with the Emperor or Crown Prince?

Our view

Last edited by a moderator:
Britain's Prince William to visit disaster-hit areas in Japan - 毎日新聞
LONDON (Kyodo) -- Britain's Prince William will make a four-day trip to Japan from next Thursday, which will take him to areas in the country's northeast hard hit by the March 2011 disasters, according to the Buckingham Palace.

The prince's itinerary during his first visit to Japan includes visiting on Feb. 28 with disaster-hit residents in Koriyama, Fukushima Prefecture, followed by meetings with local people in the tsunami-hit city of Ishinomaki and Onagawa town, both in Miyagi Prefecture.

I think Japan will be happy to welcome a senior member of the British royal family once again.

The bit at the end meeting the Japanese Prince is confusing.Why would Wills be meeting an 11 yr old boy? In Japan, it's the Crown Prince, then his younger brother and then the boy who is the son of the CP's younger brother. The boy isn't in the same place as William. He is in the same position as George.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

There is nothing in the briefing by the Duke's Private Secretary about about Prince Hisohito, so I think the Telegraph is just making up things. They also got it wrong about the Crown Prince having daughters instead of a daughter. The Duke and the Prince are both grandsons of the reigning monarch, so I suppose that might make them "counterparts" in a way, but it is an odd word to use.

William has arrived in Japan and begun his visit.

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal 6m
The Duke of Cambridge passes under the iconic Rainbow bridge in Tokyo #royalvisitjp

Prince William masters delicate art of Tokyo tea ceremony - Telegragh
There will be tougher challenges before his Far East tour is out, but the Duke of Cambridge passed his first test of protocol in Japan by negotiating the delicate art of the tea ceremony as he arrived in Tokyo.

The ancient ritual is so sacrosanct that members of the media were not actually allowed to witness the tea being brewed; paper privacy screens were slid into place at the vital moment, then later parted to reveal the Duke sipping his brew from an antique bowl cupped in both hands.

The traditional VIP welcome to the country was a soft landing for the Duke on his first visit to Japan, but his seven-day tour of the Far East is likely to prove his most controversial foreign mission to date.
William takes tea on japan visit | Daily Mail Online
The Duke of Cambridge has experienced a simple but spiritual Japanese tea ceremony to mark his arrival in the Far East country.

William who is making his first trip to Japan, was served tea by a grand master who has performed the ritual for his parents the Prince and Princess of Wales, and the Queen.
The second-in-line to the throne was taken to a centuries-old Tokyo teahouse and seated at a small table where he received the green tea, said to have life-prolonging properties.

Even before the Duke arrived on Thursday morning, there were accusations from victims of the 2011 Fukushima nuclear disaster that he was being used as a stooge by Japan’s prime minister to promote his pro-nuclear policies.
When he arrives in China next week, there will be the equally delicate matter of repairing the damage done by his father the Prince of Wales’s description of Chinese officials as “appalling old waxworks”, not to mention his determination to raise the issue of the illegal wildlife trade in a country which is one of the world’s biggest markets for poached animal products.

Its not been that long since he's landed in Japan and already I am sensing a very successful trip. It was so heartwarming to see all the people that turned out even in the bad weather to welcome him. He is really gaining his stride as an ambassador representing the UK I think and no guitar necessary. :D

I'm really impressed so for. Not for any specific reason more that you can really tell he is taking this dead serious. He knows this is an important tour in diplomatic terms and he makes sure he won't screw it up. He isn't his normal joke-y self, he waves smaller, you can see he sits and do the exact things as the man next to him at the tea house etc. I think he has really tried to study the culture and do's/don'ts for the way to behave in his host countries. Kudos to him, I really think he will do this tour well!

William has wonderful 'people' skills, and it shows in all pictures. I think he will do his country proud. No doubt he realizes that this is not to be taken lightly. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the tour turns out.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Video:
Prince William has arrived in Tokyo as he begins a week-long trip to Asia. The Duke will spend four days in Japan before travelling to China-

Home - ITNSource News

William has arrived in Japan and begun his visit.

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal 6m
The Duke of Cambridge passes under the iconic Rainbow bridge in Tokyo #royalvisitjp

William has wonderful 'people' skills, and it shows in all pictures. I think he will do his country proud. No doubt he realizes that this is not to be taken lightly. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the tour turns out.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

First- Love.
Love the DM pics! I wanna try those tea cakes! The man has a smile that lights up the room.
@ Daria- Ditto.

First- Love.
Love the DM pics! I wanna try those tea cakes! The man has a smile that lights up the room.
@ Daria- Ditto.

No chopsticks! FLUNKIES (that's just offensive) rather than delegations. And fine green tea is not bitter. That is all. Hope everyone dries out.

The briefing for the Japan leg of the trip included this:

The programme has a number of themes, not least the importance of UK-Japan commercial and cultural exchange and also how tradition and innovation work together in modern Japan. The programme will also give The Duke the chance to show his personal respects to the thousands of people affected by the earthquake and tsunami of 11th March 2011, as well as to highlight the ongoing need for support for recovery in the affected area.

Full briefing: Our view

James Whatling ‏@JWhatling
#PrinceWilliam will lay a wreath today in the same spot as his mother did in 1995. #Diana #RoyalVisitJP #lestweforget

Video:prince William has arrived in Tokyo as he begins a week-long trip to Asia. The Duke will spend four days in Japan before travelling to China-
Home - ITNSource News

He's doing a nice job, albeit I have to say that if Catherine were present it would be more interesting. ;) The clothes and shoes and hair and what-all. Watching him in all the videos and the still poses, I think how it was all likely planned to have them both standing there, Catherine waving by his side. Still, he's doing okay. His smile is warm and feels very genuine. I think he's grown up a lot, to at least have sophisticated to his role in a serious way. He feels comfortable to watch.

Back
Top Bottom