The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Imperial Family of Japan

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-02-2015, 04:10 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
He's not wearing any socks. It's just the flashing of the light reflecting on his left foot.
Thanks- now that I look more closely, I can see his big toe! But the PM does have on socks, doesn't he?

Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-02-2015, 07:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Thanks- now that I look more closely, I can see his big toe! But the PM does have on socks, doesn't he?
I looked at that too. Maybe he hates white socks. Maybe he was trying to save time? Feet hot? Sandals tight? Trying to save time? Had an incidence once where someone took his socks as a memento and someone else got fired because of it? Was laughed at in school for wearing socks and sandals? Cracks up with Kate every time they see someone in public wearing socks and sandals and when he started to giggle thought better of it? Knew Harry would never let it go?

He's a complex man and heaven only knows his reasoning.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Duke of Cambridge Prince William in Japan visit uses IVORY plectrum to play instrument | Royal | News | Daily Express

Was that already posted???
Old 03-03-2015, 10:20 AM
Royal Highness

Oh, that's a tricky and awkward situation! He handled it good though. Didn't make a big deal but stopped immediately.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, it was either a thoughtless blunder or someone intended to catch him out.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:29 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Well, it was either a thoughtless blunder or someone intended to catch him out.
I think its very possible that these instruments commonly were made with ivory and that it was just an oversight. William handled it with grace and diplomacy and really didn't make a big deal out of it. I imagine that there are items all over the world that are made with ivory and to be honest, it would be a very big waste of some beautiful things to trash them or hide them away as the damage is already done. William's concern, IMO, is to put a stop to the ivory trade and prevent the ivory from being harvested for future use. If successful, it may even be that items made out of ivory will become more valuable as time passes.

Overall, I think this trip to Japan and China has been a huge success and he is doing his grandmother proud. I thought it really cute that the BBC there had named their walking penguin cam "George". That had to put big smile on Will's face.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 03-03-2015, 02:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think its very possible that these instruments commonly were made with ivory and that it was just an oversight. William handled it with grace and diplomacy and really didn't make a big deal out of it. I imagine that there are items all over the world that are made with ivory and to be honest, it would be a very big waste of some beautiful things to trash them or hide them away as the damage is already done. William's concern, IMO, is to put a stop to the ivory trade and prevent the ivory from being harvested for future use. If successful, it may even be that items made out of ivory will become more valuable as time passes.

Overall, I think this trip to Japan and China has been a huge success and he is doing his grandmother proud. I thought it really cute that the BBC there had named their walking penguin cam "George". That had to put big smile on Will's face.
I agree. He did right. Made no fuss so not to be rude to his hosts, but put it down right away so he wouldn't seem hypocritical to the cause he was about to speak on a few days later. Well handled.