Duke of Cambridge: Visit to Japan - February 26-March 1, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks to all for the staff IDs. I would never have noticed that tiny bit of David Manning.

It's not like Kate being there would have stopped him from wearing those outfits. There would just have been more press coverage of him and her in wacky outfits.

So maybe we should be grateful Catherine couldn't make the trip. :p

I don't 'get' the wacky outfits. Sorry. :sad:

Isn't it rude calling it wacky outfits? It's traditional Japanese clothing. Seems a little rude to call it wacky...

Isn't it rude calling it wacky outfits? It's traditional Japanese clothing. Seems a little rude to call it wacky...

Oh. :sad: I didn't think that was being referenced. I had made an oblique comment about the 'balloon headdress' and I thought that was being alluded to. Still may have been.

P.S. I just looked and I think I made the comment about the balloons on another thread.

Can't keep the threads straight. :huh:

However, I see the point both ways. I just looked at the link. It does look 'wacky'. Not sure why the hosts would have a visiting dignitary do that samurai thing over his suit. The male kimono clothing looked nice, but the samurai stuff did look wacky and I suspect the hosts meant it that way, too. After all, a sense of humor is a sense of humor. JMO. :flowers:

Last edited:
Oh. :sad: I didn't think that was being referenced. I had made an oblique comment about the 'balloon headdress' and I thought that was being alluded to. Still may have been.
That is not him in it. It's a photographer that is in that balloon hat.....

That is not him in it. It's a photographer that is in that balloon hat.....

Oh (again). ;)

See my response to the 'wacky' above. I could see the samurai stuff being meant to be funny. Yes, wacky. I don't think it's offensive, what was said. It's true, William looks ridiculous. It's meant to be a joke imo, and so what was being suggested was that there might be more of those jokes if Catherine were along. Calling it wacky was in the spirit of the joke. JMO.

Last edited:
Prince William finishes his Japanese tour in tsunami-devastated town Onagawa | Royal | News | Daily Express
PRINCE WILLIAM was greeted by a lion dancer yesterday on the final day of his Japanese tour.

He gamely put his head into the jaws of the beast – said to bring good luck – as he met victims of the 2011 tsunami.

The dance display was put on in the north-eastern town of Onagawa, which was inundated by the devastating wall of water.

The Prince earlier heard the harrowing stories of survivors as he toured the coastal area where thousands died.

The tsunami, caused by an undersea earthquake, killed almost 19,000 Japanese and left many more homeless.

It also triggered a nuclear incident at Fukushima.

The Prince, 32, also visited the coastal city of Ishinomaki, which is still being rebuilt.

I think it's a habit dressing royals in national outfits on foreign trips. I think Charles is the King of such photo ops, there are tons of photos Charles wearing 'wacky' outfits, especially in Africa (no offence).

He's not wearing any socks. It's just the flashing of the light reflecting on his left foot.

Thanks- now that I look more closely, I can see his big toe! But the PM does have on socks, doesn't he?

Thanks- now that I look more closely, I can see his big toe! But the PM does have on socks, doesn't he?

I looked at that too. Maybe he hates white socks. Maybe he was trying to save time? Feet hot? Sandals tight? Trying to save time? Had an incidence once where someone took his socks as a memento and someone else got fired because of it? Was laughed at in school for wearing socks and sandals? Cracks up with Kate every time they see someone in public wearing socks and sandals and when he started to giggle thought better of it? Knew Harry would never let it go?

He's a complex man and heaven only knows his reasoning. ;):ROFLMAO:;)

Well, it was either a thoughtless blunder or someone intended to catch him out.

I think its very possible that these instruments commonly were made with ivory and that it was just an oversight. William handled it with grace and diplomacy and really didn't make a big deal out of it. I imagine that there are items all over the world that are made with ivory and to be honest, it would be a very big waste of some beautiful things to trash them or hide them away as the damage is already done. William's concern, IMO, is to put a stop to the ivory trade and prevent the ivory from being harvested for future use. If successful, it may even be that items made out of ivory will become more valuable as time passes.

Overall, I think this trip to Japan and China has been a huge success and he is doing his grandmother proud. I thought it really cute that the BBC there had named their walking penguin cam "George". That had to put big smile on Will's face.

I think its very possible that these instruments commonly were made with ivory and that it was just an oversight. William handled it with grace and diplomacy and really didn't make a big deal out of it. I imagine that there are items all over the world that are made with ivory and to be honest, it would be a very big waste of some beautiful things to trash them or hide them away as the damage is already done. William's concern, IMO, is to put a stop to the ivory trade and prevent the ivory from being harvested for future use. If successful, it may even be that items made out of ivory will become more valuable as time passes.

Overall, I think this trip to Japan and China has been a huge success and he is doing his grandmother proud. I thought it really cute that the BBC there had named their walking penguin cam "George". That had to put big smile on Will's face.
I agree. He did right. Made no fuss so not to be rude to his hosts, but put it down right away so he wouldn't seem hypocritical to the cause he was about to speak on a few days later. Well handled.

Back
Top Bottom