The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Imperial Family of Japan

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-01-2015, 09:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Has anyone either read of or noticed in photos who the Duke took along as staff? Not a huge number, considering that I have not noticed. It was not mentioned in the original press release,either.

Edit - on further review - I think I see Miguel Head. But no one else. Anyone?

Miguel is definitely there. He was in the picture when William was dining with PM in the traditional dress. I haven't seen anyone else but we aren't getting that many videos of arrivals. That's when you normally see the staff. I would think that David Manning might be along. There has to be some press officers there too. I don't know what the new Press guy looks like but I haven't seen Nick Loughran.

Look at the uncut ITN videos for people getting out of cars and such. It was much easier for the Aus/NZ tour since there were so many plane arrivals and departures. For NYC, we got footage of everyone going into the hotel. Other than the Private Sec. everybody is pretty much hidden.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 03-01-2015, 10:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Feature: Prince William's jovial, yet caring manner endears him to Japanese public - Xinhua | English.news.cn
Quote:
TOKYO, March 1 (Xinhua) -- Britain's Prince William will conclude his visit to Japan on Sunday whose jovial, yet caring manner has hugely endeared him to the Japanese public and launched "William Fever" as the nation can see so many of his mother's charm points bestowed on her eldest son.

Prince William on Sunday visited an area of Japan devastated by the March 2011 earthquake-triggered tsunami that obliterated swathes of land, homes and buildings and ultimately washed away the lives of some 16,000 people across 20 coastal prefectures.

The prince met with survivors of the disaster in Miyagi Prefecture, having visited neighboring Fukushima Prefecture a day earlier to play with children in a charity run park, just a stone' s throw away from the Daiichi nuclear power plant, whose defenses were breached by the massive tsunami, leading to multiple meltdowns in its reactors and an ongoing nuclear crisis, the worst of its kind since Chernobyl in 1986.

William, who is second heir to the throne in Britain after Prince Charles, shared with a couple he met in Ishinomaki city -- one of the regions worst hit by the tsunami -- his deepest sympathy after hearing they had lost both of their children to the tsunami.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Majesty

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2803103.html

The above post contains photos of Prince William's tour of Japan (Day 4).
Old 03-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

The devastation and loss of life were heartbreaking.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince William visits area hit by 2011 tsunami in northern Japan | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
The Duke Cambridge was blessed with good luck this weekend after he submitted his head to the jaws of a Chinese-style lion on his tour of Japan.

Prince William was visiting a coastal area in the north of the country that was one of the areas worst hit by the 2011 tsunami.

The town of Onagawa was severely damaged on March 11 four years ago, when a huge 28ft wave swept across the land after it was triggered by an earthquake.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:55 PM
Serene Highness

Prince William Duke of Cambridge and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo... News Photo | Getty Images

Wonder why William is wearing only one (white) sock in this one?

Love how he manages to look both dignified and slightly sheepish in his ceremonial dress.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Royal Highness

The Duke Of Cambridge Visits Japan - Day 4
Prince William Photos - The Duke Of Cambridge Visits Japan - Day 4 - Zimbio
Old 03-01-2015, 03:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Miguel is definitely there. He was in the picture when William was dining with PM in the traditional dress. I haven't seen anyone else but we aren't getting that many videos of arrivals. That's when you normally see the staff. I would think that David Manning might be along. There has to be some press officers there too. I don't know what the new Press guy looks like but I haven't seen Nick Loughran.
Duke's staff:
Prince William Photos - The Duke Of Cambridge Visits Japan - Day 3 - Zimbio
Old 03-01-2015, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

In Pic 25, you can see David Manning behind the woman. The other guy in the dinner photo is the UK ambassador to Japan.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Prince William Duke of Cambridge and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo... News Photo | Getty Images

Wonder why William is wearing only one (white) sock in this one?

Love how he manages to look both dignified and slightly sheepish in his ceremonial dress.
He's not wearing any socks. It's just the flashing of the light reflecting on his left foot.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-01-2015, 04:18 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/statu...03930180644864
Old 03-01-2015, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks to all for the staff IDs. I would never have noticed that tiny bit of David Manning.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

It's not like Kate being there would have stopped him from wearing those outfits. There would just have been more press coverage of him and her in wacky outfits.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
It's not like Kate being there would have stopped him from wearing those outfits. There would just have been more press coverage of him and her in wacky outfits.
So maybe we should be grateful Catherine couldn't make the trip.

I don't 'get' the wacky outfits. Sorry.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post

Isn't it rude calling it wacky outfits? It's traditional Japanese clothing. Seems a little rude to call it wacky...
Old 03-01-2015, 05:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Isn't it rude calling it wacky outfits? It's traditional Japanese clothing. Seems a little rude to call it wacky...
Oh. I didn't think that was being referenced. I had made an oblique comment about the 'balloon headdress' and I thought that was being alluded to. Still may have been.

P.S. I just looked and I think I made the comment about the balloons on another thread.

Can't keep the threads straight.

However, I see the point both ways. I just looked at the link. It does look 'wacky'. Not sure why the hosts would have a visiting dignitary do that samurai thing over his suit. The male kimono clothing looked nice, but the samurai stuff did look wacky and I suspect the hosts meant it that way, too. After all, a sense of humor is a sense of humor. JMO.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Oh. I didn't think that was being referenced. I had made an oblique comment about the 'balloon headdress' and I thought that was being alluded to. Still may have been.
That is not him in it. It's a photographer that is in that balloon hat.....
Old 03-01-2015, 06:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
That is not him in it. It's a photographer that is in that balloon hat.....
Oh (again).

See my response to the 'wacky' above. I could see the samurai stuff being meant to be funny. Yes, wacky. I don't think it's offensive, what was said. It's true, William looks ridiculous. It's meant to be a joke imo, and so what was being suggested was that there might be more of those jokes if Catherine were along. Calling it wacky was in the spirit of the joke. JMO.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince William finishes his Japanese tour in tsunami-devastated town Onagawa | Royal | News | Daily Express
Quote:
PRINCE WILLIAM was greeted by a lion dancer yesterday on the final day of his Japanese tour.

He gamely put his head into the jaws of the beast – said to bring good luck – as he met victims of the 2011 tsunami.

The dance display was put on in the north-eastern town of Onagawa, which was inundated by the devastating wall of water.

The Prince earlier heard the harrowing stories of survivors as he toured the coastal area where thousands died.

The tsunami, caused by an undersea earthquake, killed almost 19,000 Japanese and left many more homeless.

It also triggered a nuclear incident at Fukushima.

The Prince, 32, also visited the coastal city of Ishinomaki, which is still being rebuilt.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:09 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:

I think it's a habit dressing royals in national outfits on foreign trips. I think Charles is the King of such photo ops, there are tons of photos Charles wearing 'wacky' outfits, especially in Africa (no offence).