The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-27-2015, 04:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

William and Catherine have had a joint somber events together. They know how to do their job. There will be tours that they will do separately, although I think this was meant to be joint tour, I think William is doing just fine on his own.

Yes, it's very touching that William viewed a photo of his late mother at the Commonwealth War Graves. She may have been gone for a longtime, but she's never forgotten by the people and other countries. No matter what, her memory is kept alive and I think William and Harry appreciate it.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-27-2015, 06:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

William meets Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo. He also met Crown Prince Naruhito.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Well said. I agree, especially the part where you indicate that it would be more about William and Catherine's interactions, "giggles and fun". Maybe a day will come when the two of them together can have that joint soberness. (Very interesting how the presence of the woman changes the media interest).

I was watching the video of William in the rain on the boat and have to say, if I were Catherine, I would be glad I was snug at home tending to my pregnancy. I'm a wuss, yes.

William and Kate can do somber and serious. The South Pacific tour in 2012 had several examples including the mosque and the trip to the war cemetery. In NZ, they met with people who lost their love ones in the earth quake. A tour like this is different in its nature because of where it's at. Canada, Australia, NZ are all realms and more informal in nature. While Japan and China are steeped in custom and protocol making this trip more formal. I have no doubt that W&K can handle it and will do so in future tours together as they go to places outside the realms of the Queen.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 02-27-2015, 08:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Without Kate, the artices do not stay long on the various websites and there are less photos of the various events.
It did flash through my head how different the coverage would be were it Kate walking around in a wet wool coat. Commentary for days and the horror of it all... Not to mention frizzing of hair.

I like William on his own. He does a fine job and has that same focus on the person to whom he is speaking that his mom and his wife had/have in their tool box. The Queen does that "listen to them intently" too. There is an old Eagles/Don Henley song called "Learn to be Still" that I always think of when I see pictures of them listening to someone's story.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Prince William today lunched with the Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko at the Imperial Palace and laid a wreath at the Commonwealth war cemetery in Yokohama, near Tokyo on the second day of his first visit to Japan-

Home - ITNSource News

Video:
At a function to promote British industry in the afternoon, Prince William looked slightly sheepish in a bright red "happi", a traditional Japanese house coat as he joined a Japanese astronaut to swing a wooden hammer and crack open a barrel of sake-

Home - ITNSource News

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-27-2015, 09:35 AM
Nobility

A wonderful man he grew up to be
Diana would have been splendidly proud
Old 02-27-2015, 11:30 AM
Majesty

I'm sure she'd be very proud of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Auch, hit's straight in the heart that one, huh?
Old 02-27-2015, 12:06 PM
Majesty

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2798677.html

The above post contains photos of Prince William's visit to Japan (Day 2).
Old 02-27-2015, 12:34 PM
Majesty

With the crown prince of Japan
http://www.vorsten.nl/wp-content/upl...ANP270215100-1

Pics and article
Prince William reveals his childhood ambition was to become an astronaut | Daily Mail Online
Old 02-27-2015, 01:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
William and Catherine have had a joint somber events together. They know how to do their job. There will be tours that they will do separately, although I think this was meant to be joint tour, I think William is doing just fine on his own.

Yes, it's very touching that William viewed a photo of his late mother at the Commonwealth War Graves. She may have been gone for a longtime, but she's never forgotten by the people and other countries. No matter what, her memory is kept alive and I think William and Harry appreciate it.
I didn't say they can't because they really can. But I still think this tour might be better this way just so to see William as a separate unit, just like we would with Kate in Malta if that had gone through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
William and Kate can do somber and serious. The South Pacific tour in 2012 had several examples including the mosque and the trip to the war cemetery. In NZ, they met with people who lost their love ones in the earth quake. A tour like this is different in its nature because of where it's at. Canada, Australia, NZ are all realms and more informal in nature. While Japan and China are steeped in custom and protocol making this trip more formal. I have no doubt that W&K can handle it and will do so in future tours together as they go to places outside the realms of the Queen.

I have no doubt they could handle it either. That is not at all what I'm saying...
Old 02-27-2015, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Chris Jackson caught a unique likeness, today in Japan: Prince William Duke of Cambridge on stage at an 'Innovation is Great'... News Photo | Getty Images
Old 02-27-2015, 03:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
News from China -it's a start.....

China bans ivory imports – what will happen next month? | Wildlife News

Rhiannon Mills ‏@SkyRhiannon 7 mins7 minutes ago
Prince William looks at the photo of Princess Diana at the Yokohama war graves cemetery in 1995

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-0Cq2tXEAAjKxf.jpg
Quote:
Auch, hit's straight in the heart that one, huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
William meets Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo.

Prince William meets with Japanese emperor, empress | Photos | Kyodo News
First- The image of William looking at the photo of Diana- no words.
Second- It sure does. I cried. I miss her.
Third- Love the photos of Diana. Why didn't the Crown Princess appear in public with her husband?
Fourth- Tall William with the short emperor and Empress.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Do the men of the BRF typically click their heels when bowing? I'd never noticed this before.

While I'd always known that William favored his mother's looks, some of the photos from today are incredible. He even has her mannerisms.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Do the men of the BRF typically click their heels when bowing? I'd never noticed this before.
I don't think they are clicking their heels. I think they are making sure to have the right stance. Military style more than Dorothy style :P
Old 02-27-2015, 06:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Well maybe now and then they think "There's no place like home." :-)
Old 02-27-2015, 07:06 PM
Majesty

Gallery from today:

Getty
Old 02-27-2015, 07:50 PM
Heir Apparent

It's more standing to attention and then bowing.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

RKD retweeted
The Royal Record @TheRoyalRecord · 10h 10 hours ago
W: "I am only sorry that Catherine and George cannot be here in Japan this time, but I know that she looks forward to visiting Japan (cont.)

The Royal Record @TheRoyalRecord · 10h 10 hours ago
in the future. I know that she is following my visit here closely, and would have me pass to you all her warmest greetings." - @MirrorRoyal

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-27-2015, 08:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
It's more standing to attention and then bowing.

Exactly. I didn't know the words, hence "military style" :P haha
Old 02-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I don't think they are clicking their heels. I think they are making sure to have the right stance. Military style more than Dorothy style :P
OK - when Obama did the deep bow to the Emperor (and the press freaked out) he also had heels together. I can find several older accounts of how to bow and they say to have heels together. The click happens when you make this heels together move with energy.
There was also this, about Bowing in Japanese culture, in general: Bowing In Japan [Japanese Etiquette] - Tofugu