Duke of Cambridge: Visit to Japan - February 26-March 1, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK - when Obama did the deep bow to the Emperor (and the press freaked out) he also had heels together. I can find several older accounts of how to bow and they say to have heels together. The click happens when you make this heels together move with energy.
There was also this, about Bowing in Japanese culture, in general: Bowing In Japan [Japanese Etiquette] - Tofugu
You learn something new everyday :) So he's doing it the right way :p

Edit: Read the link. The head bow (which is the one William does) the article says is informal for close friends. But since they are royal both... How does the other royals do (both with each other but mostly, with the JIF)? Obama's was wrong, right? Because both of them is heads of state he shouldn't bow, right? Or maybe just do a little nod :p

I guess the thread was moved. So I was wrong, apparently they are in the host countries thread....

Last edited by a moderator:
I like William on his own. He does a fine job and has that same focus on the person to whom he is speaking that his mom and his wife had/have in their tool box. The Queen does that "listen to them intently" too. There is an old Eagles/Don Henley song called "Learn to be Still" that I always think of when I see pictures of them listening to someone's story.

A wonderful man he grew up to be
Diana would have been splendidly proud

Let's not forget his father, who very much has had an impact on William's style of approach. :flowers:

I'm sure Charles is proud and watching with keen interest. (As my mother used to say: Let's not forget the living in our justifiable deference to the dead).

William and Catherine have had a joint somber events together. They know how to do their job.

William and Kate can do somber and serious.

How unique to have what was really a very innocuous comment generate no less than two rebuttals. :wave: Be assured that my comment was not meant in any way as derogatory towards William and Catherine as a couple.

My point was solely that with the woman present the triviality of dress and shoes and hair tends to absorb the attention, and it does. No more than that. :flowers:

How unique to have what was really a very innocuous comment generate no less than two rebuttals. :wave: Be assured that my comment was not meant in any way as derogatory towards William and Catherine as a couple.

My point was solely that with the woman present the triviality of dress and shoes and hair tends to absorb the attention, and it does. No more than that. :flowers:

I knew what you meant, Lady Nimue. I wasn't coming down on your comment. Sorry if that's how it all came off.

Pictures:
The Duke Of Cambridge Visits Japan - Day 3-

Pictures & News Photos | Getty Images

Great funny pictures.

Haha, what funny pictures. Why was he dressed like that? :)

Seems like a nice, lighthearted day :) Tomorrow will be much heavier.

He really looked like he was enjoying himself and getting into the spirit of things wasn't he? From what I read, he put on the Samurai outfit when he was on a set where they were making a historical program.

I'm really enjoying all of the photos and videos that are coming out. It looks like William is having a very successful visit.

He really looked like he was enjoying himself and getting into the spirit of things wasn't he? From what I read, he put on the Samurai outfit when he was on a set where they were making a historical program.
Aha, ok. :p He seems to have really fun. I love their little instagram video with him and the kids. He's so comfortable. You can really tell he knows how to interact with kids.

Last edited:
Videos:
Prince William has launched the 'Innovation is GREAT' exhibition in Daikanyama today, as part of his on-going tour of Japan. The event, being staged by the Tsutaya Bookshop on the outskirts of Tokyo, highlights UK innovation and collaboration between Britain and Japan, including work being done by luxury car manufacturer Aston Martin-

Home - ITNSource News

Check out William Juggling with the Kids-
Prince William has met staff and pupils at a children's play school in Fukushima today, on day three of his official visit to Japan. Accompanied by the Japanese Premier Shinzo Abe, the 32 year old royal got into a ball pit to play with some of the children, before venturing outside, where he planted a tree with the help of one of the play school's children. However, the visit has drawn some criticism from some people who have accused Mr Abe of using the prince to promote his pro-nuclear policies-
Home - ITNSource News

Royal Photographer, Arthur Edwards and William's banter is just classic-

Prince William has been dressed up as a famous Samurai warrior, during a visit to the studios of Japanese broadcaster NHK today. The Prince, who is on day three of his official visit to the country, met the cast and crew of of 'Taiga' - a historical drama which has been running for 50 years-
Home - ITNSource News

Dash @DashRoyal · 1h 1 hour ago
Prince William on Japanese TV show: "Is it like Eastenders?" On wooden toy: "George will love this. Very hungry characters, like George.”

Duchess News Files @Duchess_Files · 1h 1 hour ago
Prince William & Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe don yukatas for a dinner in Fukushima. (AP Photos) #RoyalVisitJP
https://twitter.com/Duchess_Files/status/571654589633601536

I really don't understand why this thread was moved in Japan forum. The Duke spent with the imperial family only one or two hours and 3 days without any japanese royal.

I really don't understand why this thread was moved in Japan forum. The Duke spent with the imperial family only one or two hours and 3 days without any japanese royal.
Appearantly it's the rules... :p

Oh, all these clips! I loooove William with the kids! That girl keeps bombarding him, love it! :p And juggling! That's a hidden talent, huh?

Juggling: Kensington Palace retweeted Chris Jackson ‏@ChrisJack_Getty 4h4 hours ago
The Duke of Cambridge demonstrated his juggling prowess in a ball pit in Koriyama this afternoon #RoyalVisitJP

Scads more photos - some great ones with children, today: Duke Of Cambridge Pictures & News Photos | Getty Images
Edit:
Also great photos in Kabuki dress.

Clearly, this is a man who loathes his job (not).
The pictures of Wills in the ball pit. :lol::lol:
You have one little girl who has firmly joined the ranks of " Prince William Fan for Life Club, a little boy trying to drag William in, and I can't tell you who's having more fun here- the kids or William. TBH, I don't see a Prince here- I see William, and I see a Daddy,and I love it! I see a ball pit in George's future.
Tea with the Emperor one day- playing with kids the next. YRH, you rock! That's what I would call having a ball, literally!
When do we get today's photos?

Last edited:

From the TRF FAQ:

When royals make state or official visits to other monarchies, the thread is started in the forum for the host country, not the forum for the visiting country. The only state-visit threads in the visiting-country forums are those for visits to republics or for visits to multiple countries.

This is standard practice here at TRF - every other monarchy-to-monarchy visit, no matter how much time is spent with the hosts - is in the host monarchy forum.

If anyone wishes to discuss this further, please do so via PM with a member of the moderating team. Posts on the matter in thread will be removed.

Has anyone either read of or noticed in photos who the Duke took along as staff? Not a huge number, considering that I have not noticed. It was not mentioned in the original press release,either.

Edit - on further review - I think I see Miguel Head. But no one else. Anyone?

Last edited:
Videos:
Prince William has met survivors of the Asian Tsunami during a visit to Onagawa. The 32 year old royal, who is on day four of his tour of Japan, also rang the 'Chime of Hope' bell, which was recovered and restored after being washed away in the 2011 disaster-

Home - ITNSource News

Prince William has visited the offices of a local newspaper in Japan today, which resorted to printing hand-written newsletters in the aftermath of the 2011 tsunami-
Home - ITNSource News

Has anyone either read of or noticed in photos who the Duke took along as staff? Not a huge number, considering that I have not noticed. It was not mentioned in the original press release,either.

Edit - on further review - I think I see Miguel Head. But no one else. Anyone?

Miguel is definitely there. He was in the picture when William was dining with PM in the traditional dress. I haven't seen anyone else but we aren't getting that many videos of arrivals. That's when you normally see the staff. I would think that David Manning might be along. There has to be some press officers there too. I don't know what the new Press guy looks like but I haven't seen Nick Loughran.

Look at the uncut ITN videos for people getting out of cars and such. It was much easier for the Aus/NZ tour since there were so many plane arrivals and departures. For NYC, we got footage of everyone going into the hotel. Other than the Private Sec. everybody is pretty much hidden.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Feature: Prince William's jovial, yet caring manner endears him to Japanese public - Xinhua | English.news.cn
TOKYO, March 1 (Xinhua) -- Britain's Prince William will conclude his visit to Japan on Sunday whose jovial, yet caring manner has hugely endeared him to the Japanese public and launched "William Fever" as the nation can see so many of his mother's charm points bestowed on her eldest son.

Prince William on Sunday visited an area of Japan devastated by the March 2011 earthquake-triggered tsunami that obliterated swathes of land, homes and buildings and ultimately washed away the lives of some 16,000 people across 20 coastal prefectures.

The prince met with survivors of the disaster in Miyagi Prefecture, having visited neighboring Fukushima Prefecture a day earlier to play with children in a charity run park, just a stone' s throw away from the Daiichi nuclear power plant, whose defenses were breached by the massive tsunami, leading to multiple meltdowns in its reactors and an ongoing nuclear crisis, the worst of its kind since Chernobyl in 1986.

William, who is second heir to the throne in Britain after Prince Charles, shared with a couple he met in Ishinomaki city -- one of the regions worst hit by the tsunami -- his deepest sympathy after hearing they had lost both of their children to the tsunami.

Prince William visits area hit by 2011 tsunami in northern Japan | Daily Mail Online
The Duke Cambridge was blessed with good luck this weekend after he submitted his head to the jaws of a Chinese-style lion on his tour of Japan.

Prince William was visiting a coastal area in the north of the country that was one of the areas worst hit by the 2011 tsunami.

The town of Onagawa was severely damaged on March 11 four years ago, when a huge 28ft wave swept across the land after it was triggered by an earthquake.

Miguel is definitely there. He was in the picture when William was dining with PM in the traditional dress. I haven't seen anyone else but we aren't getting that many videos of arrivals. That's when you normally see the staff. I would think that David Manning might be along. There has to be some press officers there too. I don't know what the new Press guy looks like but I haven't seen Nick Loughran.
Duke's staff:
Prince William Photos - The Duke Of Cambridge Visits Japan - Day 3 - Zimbio

In Pic 25, you can see David Manning behind the woman. The other guy in the dinner photo is the UK ambassador to Japan.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Back
Top Bottom