The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She looked great yesterday. Loved the color, fit and flare of the dress. Top to toe perfection. She is the definition of glowing motherhood. She looked like she was having a great time too.

The navel can pop out even with loose clothing. It all depends on the thickness of the fabric.
And also, the shape of the navel during the pregnancy. Mine was a hole, but it obviously also can protude (is that the correct word and spelling?)
I am not a great fan of her (imo) rather tight dresses, but if her navel protudes inly sackdresses worthy of her late mother-in-law can hide those.

Oh no! Black! Bring back the blush pink!:lol: At least no one can say that it is too tight!:D
Love the hair!

Ohhh, a new hairstyle for the Duchess again - two wins in a row for me. I love high updos on her - she has the face to pull them off.

I think I am also peeping nice sized pearl earrings. (yay)

I need to see the dress or shirt/top combo before I comment. I don't particularly like the "all black" but the coat is a repeat and I understand why she wouldn't want to be seen in a new coat, albeit a maternity coat that would cost a pretty penny because of the "uproar" over spending. Right now, I don't like it...too dark. And iI'm not one to complain about her wearing black, but this look is not Meghan.

BTW...love her loose top bun and earrings. Again, have to wait to see what the ensemble beneath the coat looks like.

It looks to be a top and skirt combo maybe:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyPuWcSUwAMMTx5.jpg

A beautiful shot of the back of her hair thanks to Mark Cuthbert:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyPxL2aWsAAxM92.jpg:large

Definite skirt/top combo, you can see the separation in this picture around the bump: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyPxq6HUYAIegXc.jpg

99% sure we ain't going to see the outfit underneath, looks like a plain black top but quite a detailed skirt. Hoping someone can ID so we can find a stock picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it’s black lol. Not much more I can say about it.

Last edited:
Yes, I think it's a blouse and a skirt. While I think it's too dark (BUT it's been a while since she wore black), she looks stunning. I always liked that coat. Love that she didn't wear black shoes. And I LOVE her hairstyle!

Love the hair and earrings! The coat is nice..I liked it when she wore it before...I would like to see the outfit underneath...I figured she'd do black today after the blush yesterday...too much color to wear it two days in a row lol

LaRae

Her hair looks great!!!
The coat is fantastic. (@JuliannaVicatoria I thought it looked familiar is this the one she wore to memorial ceremony with the entire family?)

I like the over all general apperance of the look- that is each item is lovely, but the black on black is destroying the entire look.
Not sure I can give an opinion on the outfit under the coat as I can barely see it - but it does seems very tight on her, likely not a maternity dress (maybe at least it will be a British designer?), I do think I like the buttom part of it (but again it’s hard to tell given the colors scheme- more on that).
The coat is beautiful! Yay to her for leaving the bathrobes in the bathroom. By far one of her best coat choices!

Now as mentioned, The major downside? We are back to black on black on black... add in the tight updo this is full on funeral or memorial ceremony look!!! and it is ruining the entire outfit and affect.
It would have looked much better had the dress been a different color to break away the funeral look: green (maybe cat eye green?) or banana yellow (inside the peel) would have been a nice choice, hack even cream would have been a better choice. I came across a picture of her from Suits wearing a dark gray colored button-down shirt and thought that was a good color on her, would have been a better more interesting color, especially with a non neutral color coat.

I may have said before, but when she does all black she just disappears inside the outfit (this works for models but not for royals) unlike yesterday cream-beige where she was present. She does not have the skin tone for all black.

This time the tall bun and the interesting coat saves the look a little.
Meghan: say no to all black! Just do it!

Last edited:
Someone run and tell the fashion industry that black is only for funerals. Some how they are under the delusion that there is a huge multi million dollar industry on the little black dress :whistling::lol:

Again I love Meghan focusses on style and design, not color. Its not what shade of green coat dress she will wear. Its what different cut, style, texture.... No wondering if she has worn it before or not, based on width of collar.

I loved this coat the first time and happy to see it again. Love the detail :flowers:

Her hair and earrings are fantastic. No messy bun, people should be happy ?

Cant comment on the rest till see better photos of the over all look.

I love this, I like the flowiness (is this correct??) of the skirt and I don't mind the all black. My only quibble is the coat. To me it looks a bit odd to only have the top button closed. I think I would have liked it more if the coat had been left open.

I love this, I like the flowiness (is this correct??) of the skirt and I don't mind the all black. My only quibble is the coat. To me it looks a bit odd to only have the top button closed. I think I would have liked it more if the coat had been left open.

BINGO!!! I think this is my quibble with this outfit. It's too buttoned up, which overemphasises the black. However, overall she looks great. I too want to see the outfit underneath.

Someone run and tell the fashion industry that black is only for funerals. Some how they are under the delusion that there is a huge multi million dollar industry on the little black dress :whistling::lol:

Again I love Meghan focusses on style and design, not color. Its not what shade of green coat dress she will wear. Its what different cut, style, texture.... No wondering if she has worn it before or not, based on width of collar.

I loved this coat the first time and happy to see it again. Love the detail :flowers:

Her hair and earrings are fantastic. No messy bun, people should be happy ?

Cant comment on the rest till see better photos of the over all look.

1) yes ALL black is used usually only for funerals, at least in most western countries I have ever lived or visited. (Edit: and memorial services services, best example Camilla’s black outfit today for the memorial service of the late Lord Carrington).
2) I have a few friends in the fashion industry this is their comment: it is considered a major fashion No No to wear black on black on black (unless for mentioned above events) without a colored accessory to break the harshness. Either a scarf or a belt- sometimes even both, are the usual choice, or a big necklace silver or color or pearls (if you can afford one); unless the outfits has cuts that show skin or a underlining of different color or fabric added... honestly Camilla’s coat today is the perfect example of your point regarding blacks, but again it is worn for a memorial.

To be fair I don’t think I have ever seen a fashion magazine or designer that doesn’t provides this exact same advice when they show a black outfit.
Also: when you do “black on black on black” it is more often so that it is very hard to see those cuts, textures and styles, unless it is a very bold cut or style- like Camilla has shown today.

Allow me to shock you: you can do texture, style and cuts while still wearing colors. I own many such outfits.

Last edited:
She took the coat off in side ...but so far I can't see anything but part of the top...nothing below the shoulders really. Looks like a black knit top so far.

I love the bottom detail of the skirt...hope we see all of it.

LaRae

She took the coat off in side ...but so far I can't see anything but part of the top...nothing below the shoulders really. Looks like a black knit top so far.

Doesn't look like she took the coat off:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyP7dB4WoAAl1wa.jpg

People are saying is a custom Givenchy skirt.

Update: clearest picture so far of the top/skirt: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyP8A4OWwAAzPMQ.jpg

Update 2.0: Another front on picture whilst she was leaving: https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...ation-of-commonwealth-in-picture-id1091890672

Last edited:
Hmmm I thought I saw her without the coat...but I guess not...rats.

Hoping MM or someone figures out the skirt ID.

LaRae

I never like it when the skirt hangs longer than the coat.

I see Meghan has gone back to her safe place after the lovely blush ensemble yesterday. Oh well, baby steps.

Overall, she looks fine, but I'm so disappointed that the most interesting part of this outfit, the skirt, is the part we can see the least of. I'm hoping that at some point she will wear this again without a coat. I'm liking the hemline a lot and would love to see the total look.

As per usual the black on black just doesn't look good. It really needs either a bright coloured coat on top or dress/separates underneath. She just disappears under all that dark colour.

I've never liked that coat, the lapels on the shoulders are odd. The skirt looks lovely for summer. The weather in the UK is not pleasant, no matter what people say she's "used to", she hasn't been in Toronto/LA for over a year now and cold weather is still cold weather.

:previous: I agree that she looks a little drained by all that monochromatic black with nothing to break it up. It's possible to wear black without looking funereal, but this isn't it.

I love black and I find it elegant and sophisticated. I used black to 2 weddings before, but it was not "all-black", I just wore black dresses (first one was with blue acessories and the second was with golden acessories). I just think that Meghan's look today was nice but too dark. Maybe she should've worn a beige coat to match her shoes. Or the other way round, that black coat with a neutral-colored dress or blouse/skirt. But overall, it was a nice effort. Can't wait for tomorrow!

She looks happy and healthy. As someone whose wardrobe is 99% black, I see no problems with black on black on black!

Meghan's had six engagements this month and as colours go, she wore:
two black outfits -- to start and end the month
two beige/blush pink outfits
one red/purple outfit
one blue outfit

I think it's a good mix of her preferred neutrals and everyone else's insistence of colour.

The skirt looks very lush but I don't know if I like the coat like this. It doesn't really fit perfectly at her shoulders with the way she is wearing it now.

Yesterday "She needs a coat and darker colours because January..." Today "she needs her coat open so we can see her outfit and black on black is boring"...….

I know it's all extremely subjective and definitely YMMV but I don't think it's going to change too much in the next year or two, even if I think a richer colour would work just as well.

Last edited:
:previous: I agree that she looks a little drained by all that monochromatic black with nothing to break it up. It's possible to wear black without looking funereal, but this isn't it.

That is true, but I don't think she's managed it for me as of yet. The only two outfits that were all black, that didn't look like they could be worn to a funeral were the LBD in Ireland and the short tuxedo dress to Hamilton. Both were evening events.

But then thats a general comment for me, I do think it's hard to wear all black and the outfit not look suitable for a funeral. This is why royals tend to steer clear of it, if they are wearing black it's for a sombre occasion or worn on an evening where jewellery can be added.

IMO if she kept the coat unbuttoned and wore a necklace it would have been a winner look

Back
Top Bottom