The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 3: September 2018 - June 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's be honest if both Meghan and Kate wanted to really help British fashion they would appear at even just a few engagements wearing M&S, next, Crew Clothing, White Stuff, Joules & French Connection. These are the retailers struggling on the british high street.

I agree. I would actually love to see the DoS in more Marks and Spencers and French Connection.

That was merely confusion. Thought maybe I was missing something. Had to think really hard through her coats. Didn’t think we’ve seen many lighter coats. Certainly nothing like this.

Ah, OK. Makes more sense. Apologies for misreading you.

That's because no one made a big deal of BFR women wearing non-British brands until a British Prince choose to marry a non-British woman, and some started showing their hypocrisy. You can't lambast someone for doing something, while excusing others because..., well because whatever your reasonings are.

I’m sorry but that’s not true. Criticism is leveled at every royal woman not just Meghan. While she has experienced some very harsh criticism that is unique to her such as racism and such, she is not the only one that has been criticized for her fashion or spending or not wearing enough British clothing or even criticized harshly. Sophie sometimes has that problem. She buys a lot of foreign brands.

I think disagreeing is ok but I don’t think it’s healthy to attack people for stating their opinions. It’s a constant thing here. Why can’t we just all state our opinions, have a healthy discussion and not take everything so personally or as an attack against whichever royal we like. AND it’s true sometimes criticism is unfair but in this case no one is saying she’s a horrible person just voicing an opinion or at times dissent and that’s ok. No one is right or great all the time. Everyone has room to grow and that’s true of Meghan and every other royal woman.

It’s exhausting coming on here and after someone says something another person or people disagree with, the next three pages is of the same five or so people lambasting them. It’s supposed to be fun and frivolous and constructive. This is so ridiculous. Let’s stop arguing with everyone we disagree with or attacking or making accusations.

I’m sorry but that’s not true. Criticism is leveled at every royal woman not just Meghan. While she has experienced some very harsh criticism that is unique to her such as racism and such, she is not the only one that has been criticized for her fashion or spending or not wearing enough British clothing or even criticized harshly. Sophie sometimes has that problem. She buys a lot of foreign brands.

I think disagreeing is ok but I don’t think it’s healthy to attack people for stating their opinions. It’s a constant thing here. Why can’t we just all state our opinions, have a healthy discussion and not take everything so personally or as an attack against whichever royal we like. AND it’s true sometimes criticism is unfair but in this case no one is saying she’s a horrible person just voicing an opinion or at times dissent and that’s ok. No one is right or great all the time. Everyone has room to grow and that’s true of Meghan and every other royal woman.

It’s exhausting coming on here and after someone says something another person or people disagree with, the next three pages is of the same five or so people lambasting them. It’s supposed to be fun and frivolous and constructive. This is so ridiculous. Let’s stop arguing with everyone we disagree with or attacking or making accusations.

Whoa...first off all, I didn't attack anyone for their opinions. A poster who should remain nameless, as I'm sure you saw it made an insinuation, and I rightly responded. The discussion I was having with others were very cordial.

Secondly, I was referring specifically to issue of the DoS wearing British brands. In no way did I state that she was the only BR female to receive criticism of any kind, and for you to state that is false.

Third, I was not lambasting anyone or even arguing. The discussion was going quite well and I felt like we all made our point without anyone screaming "you're being biased." If you have an issue with a certain poster, take it up with them. In no way did I feel insulted or thought that I insulted anyone or their opinion. If I said something that was wrong, I admit when I'm wrong and I correct others if they are.

There was really no need for YOU to chastise me for a having a discussion and no one else. In fact, there was no need for anyone in this mornings discussion, whether pro or con the DoS wearing British brands to be chastised.

Alright, let's move on now - remember to be respectful to one another.

We don't want to have to close this thread.

I'm going to chime in here. One of the reason to wear 'British' is to expose British brands, and also to hopefully generate some income in hopes that the public will shop at these brands. I've said this before, but I think it's worth restating. There is no way in he.. the normal person is going out to purchase every high profile outfit any members of BRF wears, especially if it costs more than 1,000 Pounds. What sells the most are the accessories, the items that are more readily available (shoes, handbags, sweaters, etc.). I don't know any 'normal' person, the majority of the public who would go out and buy an Erdem, an Expensive Burberry dress or suit, McQueen or even Givenchy just because any member of the BRF wears it.

There is this expectation that if the DoS were to all of sudden begin 'wearing' British brands that revenues would increase, which is not always the case. I also put 'wear' in quotes because let's face it, she does wear British, however there are some who think that her accessories don't count. What sells the most are her coats, jewellery, handbags and shoes. And these are precisely the items where she wears British. That's where the revenue is generating from.

Personally, from my perspective, if the DoS was to all of sudden be seen in majority British brands, I cannot imagine what would be said of her and I can just imagine the comments. Right now, she is doing a mixture a both, and I don't expect to see a swift change from that to mostly British. I think that we will continue to see a mixture of Commonwealth, British, American and of course her trusted Clare Waight Keller for the foreseeable future. And that is alright with me.

This is an excellent point re accessories! I have learned about so many new British purse makers, jewelers, shoes and such from following Meghan and they are generally more in my price range.

If she wore mostly bespoke McQueen like some royals, that helps McQueen's image, but does it actually generate much in national value? IDK. Maybe? But I think Meghan supporting smaller brands for her accessories has been great.

With that said, there are many many smaller minority or women owned shops in the UK she could also throw her spotlight behind for her outfits too, like she did with Huit. I hope we start to see that come back more again for her clothes.

Plus, I am honestly not a massive fan of Givenchy period or CWK's vision for it at least but Meghan seems loyal to her. CWK talked about how it was just really her and Meghan getting to know each other as she was working on the dress w/her team for 5 months which IMO shows that Meghan struck up a real relationship with her. I think that if CWK was to move to another brand, Meghan wouldn't wear Givenchy anymore because her tie is not to the brand but to CWK.

Last edited:
Let's be honest if both Meghan and Kate wanted to really help British fashion they would appear at even just a few engagements wearing M&S, next, Crew Clothing, White Stuff, Joules & French Connection. These are the retailers struggling on the british high street.
You are quite correct and, should Catherine, Meghan, or Sophie start turning up to engagements wearing such items, I am sure that public would be less than impressed.

We, just as they, want "Our Royal Family" to look "Royal". I don't want them turning up at an engagement wearing the same clothes I do and one of the reasons is I would feel patronised and would also wonder about money. I can afford the odd pair of yummy shoes, bags, hats and fascinators (boxes in my dressing room). And I, like many others, could afford 'Couture', but there is no way in hell I could afford "haute couture."

Do I expect my BRF to wear it? Damned right I do. For the same reason that the QM visited the bombed East End in pearls and a fur-trimmed coat. A woman asked her why she came dressed like that as it was literally a bomb site and seemed silly. She replied that had they come to visit her they would have worn their best clothes, therefore there was no reason for her not to do the same. Perhaps we should lambast HM because while she wears British, her clothes are not available to anyone but her.

With that said, there are many many smaller minority or women owned shops in the UK she could also throw her spotlight behind for her outfits too, like she did with Huit. I hope we start to see that come back more again for her clothes.

Not every ensemble always has to make a statement, so IMO, it does not have to come from a minority or women run shop per se. We have a lot of young and upcoming talent who can do with the spotlight and patronage of somebody like Meghan. Huit jeans was a very good example of that.

What I am about to say, I say with some trepidation. To a limited extent, we saw the "Kate effect" on couture brands like Jenny Packham, Erdem and Wickstead. They went from being relatively unknown, to being seen on European royalty including the Princess Mary and Marie, Victoria and M-M. I so do wish Kate (and Meghan) continue to provide patronage to newer fashion designers and indirectly support the British fashion industry.

Actually most of the High Street is suffering, but that is through a combination of retail business migrating online (and retailers having to manage down their estates), high Rates and restrained consumer spending as a result of economic uncertainty. Kate and Meghan can't sort that out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Meghan has only been a royal for five months. During this transitional time for her, from actress to royal, her first priority is probably to be sure that she looks elegant and correct, and represents the crown respectably. For now, she is probably choosing designers she has trusted in the past, who she knows make clothes that work for her, toward that goal. In time she will become more comfortable branching out, and I'm certain she'll choose more British designers. Give her some time.

At least there is a burgundy scarf for the travel outfit...but year if she spends the tour wearing dark blah colors I may bang my head.

LaRae

That’s not a scarf. Those are the lapels of the coat. It’s the same coat she wore for the IG picture a few days ago.

Meghan looks as though she is dressed in what I call " the long-haul uniform." It's dark, it involves a soft stretchy pair of pants or skirt, has a soft pullover type top, and a long cardigan. Any long haul flight I've been on has included 80% of women wearing something very similar to what Meghan is wearing, so I don't think we have to infer anything about what she will be wearing--yet ;)

And look at that smile! I hope that means that she and Harry enjoyed a nice long sleep in their lay-flat seats.

Last edited:
I don't mind she wears dark while traveling....just hoping the engagements are more colorful.

LaRae

Yes thus us just her literal arrival outfit. What she is wearing on a long flight. It's not the official welcome outfit or engagement.

Looks comfortable which is all that is really key on a long flight.

Oh I hope so much for some colour. But I think it will be black or navy

With around 30-35 outfit changes over the 16 days of the tour, you would hope there would be some colour in there.

I love this look so much! What a chic travel look.

Wish we had an ID on the coat. No one seems to know who it is.

Last edited:
I love this look so much! What a chic travel look.

Which we had an ID on the coat. No one seems to know who it is.

I’ve seen nothing like it. Even some of the sites that are really good at identifying fashion pieces aren’t getting anything. Some have said it might be a bespoken Givenchy based on a black coat they have out now, but I don’t think it is. It’s not just the lapel color that was different, but shoulder and design of the body of the coat. The design on lapel is similar, but it’s a pretty common lapel design.

Manolo Blahnik pumps
Jen Meyer Turquoise necklace

LaRae

I think Meghan looked lovely if a bit tired. Still got that bit of weight which is good, and I love that she wore white.

She looked good, but tired. I like the dress, it still screams "Meghan", but with newborn baby weight.

Also, the white dress went perfectly well with the red background of the dining hall.

Meghan looks absolutely lovely!

I'm very 'meh' about the dress. The only good thing about it was the colour, it looked very well against the background, as someone already noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom