The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 2: July 2018 - August 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm and how convenient that that supports your view that she doesn't support British designers.

Meghan did a dozen outings before her wedding and wore British reviving some struggling businesses; but that doesn't support your view so you want to discount it. When Meghan does where British I suspect you will still complain because its not enough in your opinion.

As for Meghan herself I love the color on her and think it looks great. Happy to actually see her putting some effort into her hair.

Even if you go back and count from the time of the engagement announcement, thr proportion of dresses by British designers worn by Meghan will be far lower than any other royal bride in modern times.

Even if you go back and count from the time of the engagement announcement, thr proportion of dresses by British designers worn by Meghan will be far lower than any other royal bride in modern times.

She is the only royal bride in modern times that wasn't born and hasn't lived in Britain most of her life. I don't think we've seen any royal brides wear as much Canadian designer during engagement either. It's a matter of they will incorporate some new stuff, but will also stay close to those that they are familiar with. I'd expect that she had a lot of Canadian and US designer in her closet, and over time she'll build a portfolio of British designers she likes just the same way she's done before in US and Canada.

Last edited:
(..)

I am glad she wore a pop of color. Looking forward the engagements next week and what she is rocking in Dublin.

Last edited by a moderator:
(..) Me, I think the duchess wore an American designer because it is America's national day so this was her sunny salute to the US of A:flowers:

Honestly, it did cross my mind that wearing a US designer was her little nod to July 4th/her heritage.

I am not someone who subscribes to the belief that a foreign royal bride needs to give up all aspects of her heritage so if that was a subtle nod, good for Meghan! And what a look! Seeing it in video it’s even better. She is resplendent

She is the only royal bride in modern times that wasn't born and hasn't lived in Britain most of her life. I don't think we've seen any royal brides wear as much Canadian designer during engagement either. It's a matter of they will incorporate some new stuff, but will also stay close to those that they are familiar with. I'd expect that she had a lot of Canadian and US designer in her closet, and over time she'll build a portfolio of British designers she likes just the same way she's done before.
Perhaps she needs a British stylist if she does not understand how to or what to but here.

But one would have thought it would not take a rocket scientist to work out that if you go to the Trooping, you don't wear an American label. Or if you go to a commonwealth event, you don't wear an American label, or if you go on your first engagement with HM...... you get the drift.

So the bigger question out there is that is it that she does not get it, or is it that she is being obtuse?

Last edited:
Christ, this thread is just ridiculous at times. Yes, she has worn a lot of Givenchy and I understand when people reason that she should invest in a go-to British bred designer HOUSE, but to say that she hasn't done sh.t for British fashion is ridiculous and flat out wrong. Or that whatever she's worn before officially marrying Harry never mattered.. Please give me the brand of that Kool-Aid because it sounds like a trip I need to be on.

Or maybe she is wearing what she likes?? I mean it may be as simple as that? Sophie Wessex alsonwears lots of foreign brands as does Kate. Someone did a break down one time and Sophie in 2017 wore 60% foreign brands (many not CW) and Kate was about 50/50.

Meghan is wearing what she wants. I hope to see her bringing more local stuff back into her wardrobe and I expect she will! I have no concern that she won’t do her part to fly Fashion UK

What a wonderful pop of colour and the sheath dress is working very well for her. Once again she has gone with a bateau neckline and fortunately, her legs are long enough to pull off the longer hemline.

I really admire Meghan's softer updos but this is a formal event her more formal updo suited the occasion. But I keep reminding myself that while I don't always like her hairstyles, she is cognizant of the need to style her hair to suit her ensemble and it may well be that the "softer" look needs more time and a hairdresser.

Not a homework assignment I'm interested in taking on but I'm all for fact-based arguments. Here's a guide to all the outfits Meghan has worn from engagement to the wedding. Feel free to do your own count.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/style/...n-markle-outfit-commonwealth-service-11621452

Meghan incorporated a lot of British and Commonwealth designers into her engagement wardrobe especially for someone who hadn't lived in the U.K. and was working within her existing wardrobe or purchasing new clothes on her own dime. Post-engagement it really depends on whether you consider CWK/Givenchy a British designer. Both arguments for and against have already been stated so no need to re-hash. But that appears to be the crux of this debate. If yes, 50% of looks post-wedding have been British/Commonwealth. If not, it's 17%. Everyone has their own minimum threshold. Less than 2 months in, 50% seems a reasonable place to start.

Last edited:
At times the duchess looks rather wobbly on her high heels. She probably wears them to make up for some of the height difference but I would be fine with her wearing lower heels and walking and standing a little more steady and not hurting her feet as much.

Love that it's a colour, don't like anything else about. That bun is too tight for head as well.

That's what I think too!
It's nice to see her in a bright color, but I just don't like that dress.
And I've never liked those buns she seems so fond of.

(..) Me, I think the duchess wore an American designer because it is America's national day so this was her sunny salute to the US of A:flowers:
Just want to clarify that Independence Day is July 4th not July 5th. ?
Whatever the reason that Meghan selected this dress, I still think it is a good look on her.

At times the duchess looks rather wobbly on her high heels. She probably wears them to make up for some of the height difference but I would be fine with her wearing lower heels and walking and standing a little more steady and not hurting her feet as much.

Maybe that’s it. When I watch the video something seemed off. Watching it again, she does seem to wobble when she walks.

She is the only royal bride in modern times that wasn't born and hasn't lived in Britain most of her life. I don't think we've seen any royal brides wear as much Canadian designer during engagement either. It's a matter of they will incorporate some new stuff, but will also stay close to those that they are familiar with. I'd expect that she had a lot of Canadian and US designer in her closet, and over time she'll build a portfolio of British designers she likes just the same way she's done before in US and Canada.
Has there been a royal bride who wore so much UK/British iconography on her wedding dress since the Queen?

Just want to clarify that Independence Day is July 4th not July 5th. ?
Whatever the reason that Meghan selected this dress, I still think it is a good look on her.

I was gonna say...plus the colors are 100% wrong for celebrating Independence Day.

Perhaps she needs a British stylist if she does not understand how to or what to but here.

But one would have thought it would not take a rocket scientist to work out that if you go to the Trooping, you don't wear an American label. Or if you go to a commonwealth event, you don't wear an American label, or if you go on your first engagement with HM...... you get the drift. So the bigger question out there is that is it that she does not get it, or is it that she is being obtuse?

British stylists or not, it’s her that has to wear the clothes. She’s neither obtuse nor lack understanding of her role. None of what’s happened is against rules or protocol or unprecedented. Like I said earlier, she’s exploring her clothing options in her new role that’s her, not some stylist. I would hope that reasonable Brits would see most important thing isnt her clothes, even if that’s an enjoyable topic to talk about and look at, rather than her genuine desire to jump right in to the work.

There is absolutely NO royal Rule that any Royal has to wear British made products. The media have simply implied over the years that it is preferable.
You don't see anyone rushing out to buy a dress that Princess Anne wears. For instance.
My point if I am not clear enough is that the D.of Sussex can wear anything she feels will suit her regardless of country of origin of the product.

The only time I've understood the insanity around what a royal lady wears was during the 1947 wedding; I recall reading she wasn't allowed Italian or Japanese parts on her dress including silk.
But I also recall one of the reasons Sarah Ferguson was hated was because she wore expensive French brands... I'm not sure about that last part.
Either way Meghan helped a British designer who was going out of business so that a good thing imo.

Has there been a royal bride who wore so much UK/British iconography on her wedding dress since the Queen?

The 21st century saw Meghan and Kate use this in their wedding attire. The embroidery and lace detail on the Duchess of Cambridge's wedding gown featured the floral emblems for the UK (roses, shamrocks, thistles and daffodils). ?

This what we were talking about she looks very nice and radiant yollow is great color for her.

Christ, this thread is just ridiculous at times. Yes, she has worn a lot of Givenchy and I understand when people reason that she should invest in a go-to British bred designer HOUSE, but to say that she hasn't done sh.t for British fashion is ridiculous and flat out wrong. Or that whatever she's worn before officially marrying Harry never mattered.. Please give me the brand of that Kool-Aid because it sounds like a trip I need to be on.

Tell it like it is please......:lol::lol:, this is so silly it makes cartoons look bad........love your comment and so agree with you 100%. Some here need to lighten up a bit on both sides....Meghan looked great today, in fact one to the best she has ever looked IMHO. If it is a problem for the BRF in what she is wearing you better believe they will tell her straight out.........so far I haven't heard the Queen giving her grief over her choices of clothes (..)

This is a Commonwealth event. It’s an own goal to wear an American designer. She did the same thing at her previous Commonwealth engagement.

The virtue signalling with her wedding dress embroidered with Commonwealth symbols is eyebrow raising.

She's tone deaf as usual, or if you're of the mindset that KP approves all her outfits (yeah, right) then KP is tone deaf as usual.

Love that it's a colour, don't like anything else about. That bun is too tight for head as well.

Exactly how I feel, it's still a boring, 'classic' monochrome dress. This woman's fashion bores the living crud out of me, so overrated.

You don't see anyone rushing out to buy a dress that Princess Anne wears. For instance...

I have never seen a designer’s name associated with any of Princess Anne’s garments.

:previous:

??:ROFLMAO:Please go tell KP they are tone deaf also........I am sure the Queen has no problems with Meghan's clothes like some here do....so who are we to tell KP or the Queen what Meghan should wear........:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have never seen a designer’s name associated with any of Princess Anne’s garments.
LoL this made me think they pay her not to mention she is wearing them... I'm sorry I'm sure that's not what you meant but its the first thing that popped into my head.

British stylists or not, it’s her that has to wear the clothes. She’s neither obtuse nor lack understanding of her role. None of what’s happened is against rules or protocol or unprecedented. Like I said earlier, she’s exploring her clothing options in her new role that’s her, not some stylist. I would hope that reasonable Brits would see most important thing isnt her clothes, even if that’s an enjoyable topic to talk about and look at, rather than her genuine desire to jump right in to the work.

Really, how do you know whether she is obtuse and lacks understanding of her role? The. Yellow dress is terrific with the Sabrina neckline but the heels really are terrible, she should lead the want to lower heels and healthy feet

Really, how do you know whether she is obtuse and lacks understanding of her role? The. Yellow dress is terrific with the Sabrina neckline but the heels really are terrible, she should lead the want to lower heels and healthy feet

Because an intelligent woman who got into one of the top schools in the world and has made speeches on important social issues so eloquently isn’t just suddenly obtuse. As for high heels, some of us just can’t resist these beauties. She seems fine in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom