The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 2: July 2018 - August 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In her pre royal days Meghan used to strip down to her bra and knickers on Suits quite a bit, plus we’ve actually seen her topless in that video that circulated of her and her friends on a beach.

Exposing her chemise/bra/camisole or whatever it is, is ‘relatively’ tame I suppose.

We have seen her sister-in-law topless as well, and we've seen more of her via various "wardrobe malfunctions" than we are likely to ever see of the new Duchess of Sussex now or in her days as an actress on Suits.:cool:

I agree with everyone who thinks the hullabaloo over seeing a glimpse of Meghan's lacy(and undoubtedly pricey)camisole is verging on silly.

Let us please move on.

This thread is not about the Duchess of Sussex's past and her TV appearances, not about other royals - whether female or male - this is a thread for the current fashion choices of the Duchess of Sussex. The so-called "wardrobe malfunction" has by now discussed at length and therefore sufficiently, it's time to move on.

Now on a totally different topic, back on 24th of April Harry and Meghan attended the Memorial Service for Stephen Lawrence who was killed twenty-five years ago.

Meghan was IMO, unfairly rebuked in extremely vociferous terms about the sleeveless dress she had chosen to wear to this memorial. Some even claimed it showed disrespect for the Queen. Many stated that long sleeves were an absolute requirement and claimed that in their countries and the US that was the accepted norm and Meghan had knowingly chosen to dress otherwise as a shallow fashion statement. And that was the nicer comments.

Today, sadly, I watched the formal ceremony held for the late Senator John McCain's lying in state at the Arizona Capitol. I was surprised to see that many women present wore sleeveless dresses, some black some not. It registered because at the close of the ceremony each person paid their final respects, one by one stretching out their hand to touch the flag-draped coffin.

Being a woman I noted what all the invited guests wore and later recalled this kerfuffle. I will also remember that it is on me to research if I wonder about the validity of claims of broken protocol.

I would also make the point that it is August in Arizona, an extremely hot area of the country. :flowers:

I would also make the point that it is August in Arizona, an extremely hot area of the country. :flowers:

I agree that Arizona in August is very hot. I believe it was over 100 degrees Fahrenheit yesterday. And women in Arizona probably usually wear sleeveless dresses in August. But if it were in fact, inappropriate to attend a funeral doing so, then they would have at least worn cap or short sleeved dresses. The men still wore suits.

When people say that in the United States women never wear sleeveless dresses to a funeral (or memorial in Meghan’s case) and then women in the United States attending a high profile funeral wear sleeveless dresses, it shows the criticism of Meghan’s dress using that statement is invalid.

Last edited:
Women in the deep south have be dealing with that type of heat plus humidity for decades. Now days you see less clothing but you still see what is considered more proper clothing when it comes to Church, funerals etc.

Personally I think if you are in a Church you need to be covered up. At least a short sleeve and no deep necklines or short hems.

LaRae

As someone who grew in the South and spent a lot of time in AZ, sleeveless is definitely not scandalous in church. I’ve worn sleeveless to high mass, funerals and regular ole services.

And the church I attend when working in London is similar in terms of being fairly relaxed with dress. YMMV

I thought her Hugo Boss dress was fine. I always see at least one sleeveless dress at a funeral. And plus, Stephen’s mother was in blue, so it wasn’t nearly as solemn as most funerals.

There was one picture posted on twitter from inside the church that showed there were Atleast 5 other women including a member of the choir who was also wearing sleeveless dresses to the service.

There is a difference between say a basic black sleeveless sheath dress and a sleeveless black cocktail dress. The former is appropriate for church, the latter is not.

As someone who grew in the South and spent a lot of time in AZ, sleeveless is definitely not scandalous in church. I’ve worn sleeveless to high mass, funerals and regular ole services.

And the church I attend when working in London is similar in terms of being fairly relaxed with dress. YMMV

It certainly depends on the weather. I have worn sleeveless dresses to church in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and certainly in Kentucky and Florida. Nothing disrespectful at all. Funerals likewise. I believe it is disrespectful to wear tons of bling jewelry on such occasions which always looks out of place except at a ultra formal wedding. But sleeveless, nope, don't see it as disrespectful. Now someone in jeans and sneakers with a T-shirt [which I have seen in churches] I am not fond of especially when they dress nicer when going out on a date or to bar to pick up a date. I believe it is down to the difference in age and custom now-a-days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom