The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The dress is nice, but new again. I wonder what is worong with wearing dresses from the first pregnancy... I usually dislike the flowery print because it ages but this is way bestter than the awful Seraphine one

The dress is new to us - ie we haven't seen it before. It is from the Erdem collection from 2013. She may have worn it before, she may have worn it during her last pregnancy.

Can we just give her some lee-way? Why assume what appears to be "the worst" - that it has to be a brand new dress.

The dress is new to us - ie we haven't seen it before. It is from the Erdem collection from 2013. She may have worn it before, she may have worn it during her last pregnancy.

Can we just give her some lee-way? Why assume what appears to be "the worst" - that it has to be a brand new dress.

You are free to "praise" her whenever you want:flowers: I won't do it just because you think different, that's all

You are free to "praise" her whenever you want:flowers: I won't do it just because you think different, that's all

I wasnt praising her, I was pointing out we don't have all the information and that dress is 2 years old.

I really like the style and fit of this dress, but I'm not sure about the pattern. The colors are lovely, but the print is a little too much for me.

Like cepe said, this could very well be something that she's had in her closet and never got a chance to wear during her first pregnancy. But even if it is new, I don't see why it's a problem. What's interesting is that at one point she was criticized for recycling too much, now she's criticized for not recycling enough.

Personally, I like seeing new clothes. It would be incredibly boring if all the royal women stopped wearing new outfits and just recycled all of their old stuff.

I've never criticised her for recycling too much, on the contrary I've always thought that was good. But I merely think the claim that "that dress is new only to us" for every new dress she sports is a weak excuse IMO.

I really like the style and fit of this dress, but I'm not sure about the pattern. The colors are lovely, but the print is a little too much for me.

Like cepe said, this could very well be something that she's had in her closet and never got a chance to wear during her first pregnancy. But even if it is new, I don't see why it's a problem. What's interesting is that at one point she was criticized for recycling too much, now she's criticized for not recycling enough.

Personally, I like seeing new clothes. It would be incredibly boring if all the royal women stopped wearing new outfits and just recycled all of their old stuff.

I dont like the print either. Too many contrasting colours for me - I prefer prints such as the blue Seraphine - muted and blending.

Yep, I much prefer the Blue Seraphine dress.

I've never criticised her for recycling too much, on the contrary I've always thought that was good. But I merely think the claim that "that dress is new only to us" for every new dress she sports is a weak excuse IMO.

Maybe, but it could also be true. We don't really know when she bought the dress, so it's possible that she has had it in her closet for awhile. It's also possible that she just bought it. Regardless, I don't really see the problem in her buying new things...especially during pregnancy. Your body changes so much, so something that fits today, may not fit tomorrow.

That may also be why she's not recycling the clothes from her first pregnancy. She looks like she's carrying a bit differently this time, so it's possible the clothes may not fit. Not to mention that styles change, so she may no longer like anything she wore before.

I think she's looked more polished this pregnancy, so I'm actually glad she's not recycling much.

Last edited:
Maybe, but it could also be true. We don't really know when she bought the dress, so it's possible that she has had it in her closet for awhile. It's also possible that she just bought it. Regardless, I don't really see the problem in her buying new things...especially during pregnancy. Your body changes so much, so something that fits today, may not fit tomorrow.

That may also be why she's not recycling the clothes from her first pregnancy. She looks like she's carrying a bit differently this time, so it's possible the clothes may not fit. Not to mention that styles change, so she may no longer like anything she wore before.

I think she's looked more polished this pregnancy, so I'm actually glad she's not recycling much.

Okay, we'll agree to disagree then:flowers: since sporting new clothes has not been something happening only during the pregnancy. I don't claim that she should wear all her old pregnancy clothes but to me it's strange that she hasn't worn at least one of them so far. Just IMO of course

Catherine looks very nice for a lunch event and I like the colours of the pattern. The pattern itself seems more abstract than other florals she has worn, I'd like to see the same pattern but in a stiffer more structured outfit such as a coat or jacket and skirt.

I like the dress, what I don't like is the hair hanging down and the shoes. Kate looks absolutely exhausted.

Okay, we'll agree to disagree then:flowers: since sporting new clothes has not been something happening only during the pregnancy. I don't claim that she should wear all her old pregnancy clothes but to me it's strange that she hasn't worn at least one of them so far. Just IMO of course
You realize though that while she is sporting new clothes her "expensive" parts is very very regularly repeated. Jewelry, purses and shoes are very rarely new. So instead of like some other princesses that repeats an obviously repeated coat but has new £2000 shoes so people can tell she's recycling (not pointing at anyone, just a general thing I've seen) she buys a new dress so that we get to see her in something new but almost always have repeated accessories. And if she has new accessories (like in new york) she wears a repeat dress/coat/whatever. I think she has a nice balance. This pregnancy she has worn a bit more new clothes (or at least new to us) but considering how different pregnancies can grow, that she isn't pregnant at the same stages in the same months, change of taste (longer dresses and coats this time) I don't see any problem with it.

You realize though that while she is sporting new clothes her "expensive" parts is very very regularly repeated. Jewelry, purses and shoes are very rarely new. So instead of like some other princesses that repeats an obviously repeated coat but has new £2000 shoes so people can tell she's recycling (not pointing at anyone, just a general thing I've seen) she buys a new dress so that we get to see her in something new but almost always have repeated accessories. And if she has new accessories (like in new york) she wears a repeat dress/coat/whatever. I think she has a nice balance. This pregnancy she has worn a bit more new clothes (or at least new to us) but considering how different pregnancies can grow, that she isn't pregnant at the same stages in the same months, change of taste (longer dresses and coats this time) I don't see any problem with it.

That's fine. I'm not trying to convince anyone. And I'd say the same thing of any other royal woman spending on expensive clothes.

That's fine. I'm not trying to convince anyone. And I'd say the same thing of any other royal woman spending on expensive clothes.
I'm not saying that you have to change your mind! :p I just gave my view on things, so now it's out there and if someone get's something from it, nice. If not, that's ok too. That's how a discussion forum works. Me stating an opposing view does not equal me trying to force that view onto you.

I don't like this dress. I like the cut but not the print. It reminds me of paint.

I thought the same thing. The print reminds me of an art project that I did with my preschoolers a couple of years ago, where they had to stand up, and use paint brushes to fling paint onto a blank poster board.

I'm not a fan of the print, but I do think she has looked good this pregnancy - her clothes have looked both comfortable and smart and I like the bright colours she's worn. She looks quite tired in these latest shots, not surprising given she is nearing the end of her pregnancy and has a toddler at home. The pics are taken in full sunlight which is also unforgiving.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I really like her outfit. I like the print of the dress and the colour combination, and the shoes and purse match nicely. I think it's nice to see her in a dress for once instead of a coat-dress arrangement. The only thing I don't like is her hair flopping down like that. I think she'd look much nicer and more age-appropriate with her hair tied back somehow.

I do wish she'd improve her posture and stand up straight, but I have a feeling she might have some sort of issue with her spine that causes that and that it's not just a bad habit.

Yes, she does look tired, but as stated far better by another member she could be wondering what William's doing in China or if Master Wiggle Worm has caused any mischief at KP while Mummy's been gone too. We just don't know, but other than that, I thought Kate looks pretty great.

I really like this dress and if the background is navy like I think it is, it has the potential of being very versatile post baby and after some alterations if needed. Considering she does look to be carrying far differently w/this precious blessing this time around than w/George, it really shouldn't be a surprise we're seeing more new stuff. Consider this time she's been pregnant Winter/Spring and that calls for warmer fabrics and...Not sure why the fuss.

Yes, she does look tired, but as stated far better by another member she could be wondering what William's doing in China or if Master Wiggle Worm has caused any mischief at KP while Mummy's been gone too. We just don't know, but other than that, I thought Kate looks pretty great.

I really like this dress and if the background is navy like I think it is, it has the potential of being very versatile post baby and after some alterations if needed. Considering she does look to be carrying far differently w/this precious blessing this time around than w/George, it really shouldn't be a surprise we're seeing more new stuff. Consider this time she's been pregnant Winter/Spring and that calls for warmer fabrics and...Not sure why the fuss.

Yes I agree also her new outfits seemed to me a better fit for a pregnant woman longer with even hem etc.
I think it's just the light that can make her look tired
But her hair doesn't help IMO she always looks better with it back off her face

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

She looks like she does not feel well.

I like the color of the dress...it's just the cut or the fit that looks rather off.

LaRae

The dress itself is a lovely piece but unfortunately she didn't wear it well nor is it a maternity dress. It fitted weirdly around the bust area, tight around the belly. The overall was unflattering and boring. I would like to see the Duchess wearing this when she is not expecting.

This is probably because the seasons are so different. At this stage of her first pregnancy, it was summer in London. This time around, it is deep winter, with very low temperatures. You can't wear summer clothes in this weather.

Agree
BYe Bine

Oh the hair the hair.
I don't want to be mean but I really don't like it hanging down it drags her face down.
It needs shaping around the front like Mary has done.

Oh the hair the hair.
I don't want to be mean but I really don't like it hanging down it drags her face down.
It needs shaping around the front like Mary has done.

I don't see why everyone want's her to have Mary's cut. I can see them wanting her to have another cut, but Mary's is the quintessential nowday mom look. It's so pedestrian. IMO ofc.

^^^Kate's hair is as pedestrian as they come.

^^^Kate's hair is as pedestrian as they come.
No, it's perfectly blowdryed, rich woman hair. And the curls are Hollywood style. Mary has the hair perfectly blowdryed as well, but her cut is that of my friends mothers (40s-50s) and teachers.

I think Catherine's hair is great, but at some point she'll end up changing it.

Kate looks very weary, but after all, she is in her last month and probably eager to have it over.
She must be quite uncomfortable at this stage.

Is this a maternity dress? If not maybe that is why the fit is so bad. Very unattractive look for her. She just may have been caught between smiles. It must be pretty hard to smile all the time, none of us do.

Is this a maternity dress? If not maybe that is why the fit is so bad. Very unattractive look for her. She just may have been caught between smiles. It must be pretty hard to smile all the time, none of us do.
No, it's not a maternity dress which explains the fit or lack thereof. At this point in a pregnancy actual maternity dresses are so much more comfortable that I wonder why so many women continue to stuff themselves into regular clothes. Here's the Daily Mail article that shows the dress: Duchess of Cambridge appears to show strain of a busy schedule at lunchtime reception | Daily Mail Online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom