The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I gasped at the price too- I wouldn't pay 4 pounds!

I have to agree with other posters that this is one of the worst outfits Kate has worn. Interesting that it is currently still available to buy when normally anything she wears usually sells out within seconds.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I don't think it's that bad but the length could have been longer. Kate looks good though.

I think this dress is really cute. It has a very 60's Mod vibe to it- right off the Carnaby Street racks.

I have to agree with other posters that this is one of the worst outfits Kate has worn. Interesting that it is currently still available to buy when normally anything she wears usually sells out within seconds.

I agree that it can have to do with it not looking good.. But we have to remember it's maternity wear. Not everyone can wear it

I'm not understanding all the shock and horror at this dress. I liked it's quirk.

Tells you something doesn't it?
I'm surprised a website would crash for that outfit!

I don't think it's that bad but the length could have been longer. Kate looks good though.
Not her best outfit by far, but not horrible. I do have to agree that it would have been longer.

I think the colours and material of the outfit are great, but I am not a huge fan of the design. If I knew anything about fashion design, I would probably have designed the dress without the pockets and put the material around the neckline as a collar instead.
For maternity, I think it is a cute dress, and it doesn't surprise me Catherine went for this dress because it does have that 60s look she likes.

I agree that it can have to do with it not looking good.. But we have to remember it's maternity wear. Not everyone can wear it

The dress isn't actually maternity wear, it is from Madderson's regular women's collection: https://www.maddersonlondon.com/shop/naomi-shift

There is a maternity version that Kate could have chosen, without the stupid pocket flap embellishments (never mind that it would have fit her body better because it has been designed for a pregnant body): https://www.maddersonlondon.com/shop/camilla-shift-navy-pink

Talking about the lengths of her outfits is like beating a dead horse - it doesn't appear that Kate will ever get the message.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/01/15/24B8D97800000578-2911257-image-m-13_1421330616383.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/01/15/24B8CCCA00000578-2911257-image-m-17_1421330654617.jpg

I agree with most posters, the Madderson London dress is too short, the embroidery is ugly, 450 GBP for this?? Combining a navy dress with black tights, omg.

Oh I think it's cute. Love the dark blue with a splash of color. Also happy that she is going to drag people into the 21st century where a respectable woman doesnt have to wear a skirt to her knees.

Last edited:
That is one bad fashion choice.
The tights drove me nuts too, until I remembered they are driving the navy/black mix down our throats this season. Plus, at my age, any time they allow navy to come back on trend in any way, I do a happy dance.
It's not a great look. But then she aims for "workable" most of the time. I can tell you I looked at it and thought "if I were a little art kid, I'd think she looked pretty." So mission accomplished for the event.

As to the short skirts - she is going to keep wearing them and I am going to keep loving it. She had great legs. Good for her.

Ugh...not at all a fan. Too short, too wide/boxy. Reminds me of a short house dress the old women wear.

LaRae

The dress isn't actually maternity wear, it is from Madderson's regular women's collection: https://www.maddersonlondon.com/shop/naomi-shift

There is a maternity version that Kate could have chosen, without the stupid pocket flap embellishments (never mind that it would have fit her body better because it has been designed for a pregnant body): https://www.maddersonlondon.com/shop/camilla-shift-navy-pink

Talking about the lengths of her outfits is like beating a dead horse - it doesn't appear that Kate will ever get the message.

Is the message "Her Body, Her Decision"? If so, she has already received the message.

Catherine looks fit.
The Clore Art Room is a fun and worthy concept.

For a luxury brand, the contrast trim was sewn very badly.
The crooked pattern was very obvious; not a good advertisement.

Why should she "get the message". She is obviously comfortable at a time when comfort ranks as important; if she is interested, then she would see that many fashion pundits approve her style and, TBH what has our opinion got to do with it? Public opinion is generally, I would say, happy with what she wears.

For a luxury brand, the contrast trim was sewn very badly.
The crooked pattern was very obvious; not a good advertisement.

That trim has been sewn badly, hasn't it!

Kate's dress reminds me of the sort of thing my mother used to do with my dresses when I was a very young teenager. As I grew taller she would add a band of a matching print at the bottom and also add a collar or pockets or something to make it look like it was supposed to look like that and hadn't just had a bit added at the bottom. And you can be very sure that she would have made sure that the trim was even, even if it meant her spending hours stretching it or gathering it a bit or carefully cutting it so the pattern was even.

Navy blue tights and shoes would have looked much better than black, IMO, and the dress was too short even though the tights would have prevented anything being seen that shouldn't have been seen.

Last edited:
To be honest I normally dislike her choices, don't love this myself, but it suits her. I think she should of put her hair up it would have worked the outfit. I am sick of that hair! The dress to me is a little fun and with her hair up would of given the look a different feel IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I think it's a really cute without the embellishments under the bust. I don't mind the black tights just because black does tend to "go" with everyone.

I think it's too short because she has to bend over when talking to the children. I don't think the view from the back when doing this would be a good look

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

That trim has been sewn badly, hasn't it!

Kate's dress reminds me of the sort of thing my mother used to do with my dresses when I was a very young teenager. As I grew taller she would add a band of a matching print at the bottom and also add a collar or pockets or something to make it look like it was supposed to look like that and hadn't just had a bit added at the bottom. And you can be very sure that she would have made sure that the trim was even, even if it meant her spending hours stretching it or gathering it a bit or carefully cutting it so the pattern was even.

I loved your post and remembering my mother too and what a careful and excellent seamstress she was! This dress would be fine if sewn better and she wasn't pregnant. The maternity version is very nice and would have looked a lot better and more comfortable. Notice the pictures when she raises her hand, and you can see how the whole sleeve and shoulder do not fit!

Kate Middleton's £450 Madderson London dress sells out | Style | Life & Style | Daily Express
It's the Kate effect!

The £450 Madderson London dress that the Duchess of Cambridge wore for her first official royal engagement of the year has sold out.

The 'Naomi' dress, that is described on the London-based designer's website as channelling "the big 1960s trend of the season", flew off the shelves just hours after Kate stepped out in it to meet children at Barlby Primary School in North Kensington, west London.

The website states, "This item is currently not available" and gives no inclination of whether it will be restocked.

Kate, 33, has been praised for her maternity choices during both of her pregnancies and this outfit is another fashion hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom