The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that a belt in the blue colour would have looked better and united the top and skirt into an outfit. I don't mind the buckle though, because it sort of matches the style of the earrings.

In general terms, it's not really what I would describe as a maternity outfit. It's unusual for a pregnant woman to be drawing attention to her waist, which that belt does.

I sort of feel that the belt WAS actually meant to unite the skirt and top more already, but less in terms of colour and more in terms of fabric. That said, I still feel it missed the mark. As someone else posted, I'm thinking that perhaps the she didn't fit in the original top meant to go with the skirt - as all of us who are/have been pregnant have experienced. Perhaps this is the top they chose as a stand-in.

I thought she looked terrific, except the belt could have been better as many have suggested. Watching the video, she looked comfortable and totally engaged with what she was doing, as hostess. But, she is so engaged that her posture suffers, IMO, terribly. A belt and peplum at this stage is a great ploy, I do remember doing it myself right before the tent stage, but slouching doesn't help at any time. Love the earrings, hairdo, and her glow of health, she must finally be feeling all better.

I think what impresses me the most about Kate (no matter what she is wearing) is that she comes across as being totally real and totally interested and involved in what she is doing and who she is with. There isn't a shred of phoniness about her. She has a certain joie de vivre that just makes everyone around her feel at ease. Especially children. :flowers:

I think what impresses me the most about Kate (no matter what she is wearing) is that she comes across as being totally real and totally interested and involved in what she is doing and who she is with. There isn't a shred of phoniness about her. She has a certain joie de vivre that just makes everyone around her feel at ease. Especially children. :flowers:

You hit the nail right and totally on the head Osipi! I love to see Kate in a new evening dress, and commenting on her fashion choices as much as anybody- but what I really love is to see Kate being Kate- with all the qualities you mentioned. That's what's important, that's how I measure a good day vs. a bad one. And so far by that standard, she has never had a bad day. So what if this was a miss- which in my opinion, it wasn't, or the dress she wore by Temperly to the AA event was a epic fail- in my opinion it was- her only one in that sense really? Kate was Kate. That I love and admire about her more than any outfit she puts on. I come on here because of her- not her clothes. And yes, other Royals too. But you get my point.

Last edited:
I love both pieces but not together and IMO the earrings are not great far more too casual for the engagement. I think the belt is odd really just not styled well the whole look.

It's a nice look but ruined with a daytime belt. I don't mind a belt with this look as it needs one but something more evening look would've worked better.

You hit the nail right and totally on the head Osipi! I love to see Kate in a new evening dress, and commenting on her fashion choices as much as anybody- but what I really love is to see Kate being Kate- with all the qualities you mentioned. That's what's important, that's how I measure a good day vs. a bad one. And so far by that standard, she has never had a bad day. So what if this was a miss- which in my opinion, it wasn't, or the dress she wore by Temperly to the AA meeting was a epic fail- in my opinion it was- her only one in that sense really? Kate was Kate. That I love and admire about her more than any outfit she puts on. I come on here because of her- not her clothes. And yes, other Royals too. But you get my point.

Ladies, you're right on the money. While looking good is important, and this being a fashion thread, I think that Kate being Kate is what makes her beautiful. She can wear a potato sack, but her demeanor when interacting with people, especially children will overshadow that fact any day. Her smile is the first thing that I saw while looking at pictures from last night. Now, with that being said, I think her outfit was lovely, even with the belt and a skirt that some say don't go together with the top. Would a skirt in let's black, or maroon have looked better? Perhaps, but with her genuine demeanor, who the heck cares. Keep rocking it, Your Highness!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm usually a fan of Catherine's fashion choices but this is a miss for me, for the reasons you stated. I think the top would have looked nice with a flared skirt w/ narrow pleats in the same fabric and color.

Do like the hair and being able to see the earrings.

Agreed on all counts. But it wasn't a terrible outfit.

The top was fabulous (as were the hair and earrings). The skirt and belt, not so much.

Catherine herself looks lovely, though like others here, I'm not a fan of the overall look. The colours suit her and work well together, however Catherine's outfit reminds me of a costume a character from Hansel and Gretel might wear (it's the belt and top that give it that look to me).

It's wonderful to see that she's starting to be much more active now.

I agree with most of the posts, the top and bottom do not work well together. I think she should have worn the same top that was on the runway with this skirt (that top has blue and black tones that was more elegant and suited for this event). The belt doesn't fit at all with whole outfit. The hair looks nice though.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I love the skirt, I want buy a similar skirt like that. The blouse is pretty and cute, but not something that amazing. I really dislike the belt and it's weird to see a pregnant women wearing it.

Overall she looked great and I like her hair like that.

Yes, I love that skirt too.

Catherine is in a lovely red Catherine Walker dress today whilst visiting an EACH centre in Norfolk.

This time I absolutely love her look... simple, sweet, appropriate... But I think it's the ponytail that brings points to this look IMO

Love the ponytail. Kate looks beautiful!

She does indeed. I suspect this dress was worn with the red coat and pill box hat when she arrived in NZ earlier this year.

Now this is a great example of when Catherine's simple style can look amazing - classic red dress and black accessories, plus a lovely hairstyle. What makes it for me is the material that the dress is made of - it looks luxurious and well structured and I'd like to see this dress again in a plum or purple colour!

Catherine is in a lovely red Catherine Walker dress today whilst visiting an EACH centre in Norfolk.

Apparently not Catherine Walker, but KAtherine Hooker.

All royal reporters have twitted that the original info was wrong.

She looks lovely. One of her best.

Apparently not Catherine Walker, but KAtherine Hooker.

All royal reporters have twitted that the original info was wrong.

She looks lovely. One of her best.

So yet another new dress. I know she is pregnant, but surely she must have some dresses and coats (either from her first pregnancy or otherwise, notwithstanding the difference in seasons when she was pregnant with George) that she can continue to reuse these days? IMO, she really does need to use her expensive (and inexpensive) clothes a lot more than she does. It is just not the right message she is putting out.

Such is the world of the Duchess of Cambridge. When she recycles people complain and when she wears a new frock people complain.

That's life in the fish bowl

Last edited:
Catherine looks very elegant. The simplicity of the outfit actually enhances it. The hair looks great as well.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Such is the world of the Duchess of Cambridge. When she recycles people complain and when she wears a new frock people complain.

That's life in the fish bowl

So true. And of course this dress is only "new" to us.

Nicely pulled together, the dress is nice. Not sure about the ponytail, though.
:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom