The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite often when we see Catherine's day-wear we hear that the item has sold out in the shops and I wonder whether it is the same for the evening wear too - Christmas is coming up, a nice black lace gown would be great for parties!

Catherine looks wonderful and elegant. The colour of the dress suits her, and I love the lace. I also love Catherine's hairstyle too, and it's nice to see her experiment with her hair a bit more. She looks fabulous in buns! The only parts of her outfit I don't particularly like here are her shoes and earrings.

The Daily Mail are claiming that Catherine has influenced Mary and Letizia with lace - wake me up when they start writing articles about 'real' news. Royals have been wearing lace before Catherine married William, so it's not as if she started that trend. I've noticed that lacy Valentino style wedding dresses like Princess Madeleine's have become fashionable anyway, so perhaps it's just a question of lace being the 'in' thing to wear. :rolleyes:

In regards to William's socks, I think they're either very dark navy or grey, or at least that's what they look like in the lighting of my room and PC screen.

Catherine looks wonderful and elegant. The colour of the dress suits her, and I love the lace. I also love Catherine's hairstyle too, and it's nice to see her experiment with her hair a bit more. She looks fabulous in buns! The only parts of her outfit I don't particularly like here are her shoes and earrings.

The Daily Mail are claiming that Catherine has influenced Mary and Letizia with lace - wake me up when they start writing articles about 'real' news. Royals have been wearing lace before Catherine married William, so it's not as if she started that trend. I've noticed that lacy Valentino style wedding dresses like Princess Madeleine's have become fashionable anyway, so perhaps it's just a question of lace being the 'in' thing to wear. :rolleyes:

In regards to William's socks, I think they're either very dark navy or grey, or at least that's what they look like in the lighting of my room and PC screen.

I searched Diane von Furstenberg's website and found this short dress which is similar to Kate's dress. The differences are the length, and the zipper in the back.

I agree that the DM tries too hard and too often to credit Kate for fashion trends that have been popular for months now.

Really happy to see her wearing her hair with the low bun last night.

This is her best long gown look so far. The hair was perfectly styled well for the look. The dress is lovely and it fits and moves very well when she walks.
I have to agree. From the elegant and very flattering hairstyle, to the gorgeous DVF black lace gown Catherine hit all the right notes.

As Lady Malboro commented earlier, the black lace on black lining is what gave the gown it's elegance, Unlike the black on nude she previously wore that seemed to scream negligee as the lace floated free of the underskirt.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014...ge_galleryImage_Mandatory_Credit_Photo_by.JPG

versus

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/08/article-2083899-0F615F2B00000578-113_634x896.jpg

There is no comparison, both in gown and presentation. The DVF is everything the other is not. Fitted and chic, her hair is elegant and her makeup a little less conspicuous.

The only thing that IMO would improve the ensemble is if she had worn the same earrings as she did to Warhorse. They are very sophisticated and, while those she wore are pretty, they are not as elegant and, let's face it, I'd have loved to have seen them in all their glory, not flashes tangled in her hair.

Looking at this again this evening, I have to say, I think this is a watershed moment for her. That hair-style really matures her, in the best possible way. She is far more confident these days, and while it's a very long receiving line (and all she seems to be saying is "Nice to meet you" - nothing of interesting substance, really), her physical presentation has taken a quantum jump imo. We are looking unambiguously at a woman in her 30's. She looks good. :flowers:

Last edited:
I just wish there had a been a bracelet as well last night.

I think bracelets tend to snag on lace, unless they are just solid and smooth metal or stone.

Yep. A solid, smooth bangle-type bracelet or a cuff probably would of been safe. But I haven't seen her wear that type of jewelry since her mid-twenties.

Just saw an article in the Daily Mail on her Mum and Dad attending the Royal Variety Show as well. Carole's dress was almost a carbon copy of Kate's although shorter. It's a bit weird how often they dress the same.

Just saw an article in the Daily Mail on her Mum and Dad attending the Royal Variety Show as well. Carole's dress was almost a carbon copy of Kate's although shorter. It's a bit weird how often they dress the same.

Not a carbon copy - it was black and it had what I call sheer lace on the top of the bodice. Lady Lloyd-Webber and at least 2 other guests wore black with some form of lace. And probably a whole bunch of others in the audience.

On trend.

You can mention other people if you like but this was mother and daughter attending the same event and wearing practically the same dress. As I said, it's not unusual with these two or even these three if we include Pippa. It's sometimes hard to work out if the girls are dressing too old for their age or if Carole is dressing too young. It varies either way with each ensemble I think.

Last edited:

They do have similar tastes. They even stand the same, they both cross their left leg behind their right leg, very unusual stance. You can tell the two are close if there's been that much imprinting.

I actually preferred Carole's dress to Catherine's. I didn't like the neckline of the DVF. I don't know fashion terms but I didn't like that ribbed neckline or whatever you call it.

:previous: Well close as they are I can't see Catherine not being excited about the DVF black lace dress and giving it the rave to her mum and even her sister. What I cannot understand is her mother wearing anything that came close to her daughter's gown on an occasion that everyone was looking forward to seeing her.

Until now, I have had nothing but the highest regard for Mr and Mrs Middleton, there seemed much to be admired about them. But this is just plain wierd. Carole has some lovely clothes that we have seen at many different occasions, the Windsors working hard to include Catherine's family, which I am guessing reflected in the fact that they were there. So why on earth did she feel the need to "wear black lace"?

Last edited:
It was probably just a coincidence. Maybe Carole had no idea of what Kate would be wearing that night (and vice-versa). Black lace in very IN right now, it's the most obvious things to wear in these occasions. There were other women wearing it too.

Hardly a surprise that a mother/daughter with similar body builds would end up wearing clothes that are similar in style and taste. My younger daughter and I have quite a few similarities in what we like in clothing.

LaRae

It's sometimes hard to work out if the girls are dressing too old for their age or if Carole is dressing too young. It varies either way with each ensemble I think.

Personally I think very few items of clothing are too young or too old. Where has this whole age-appropriate restriction come from? If the clothes look fine on the wearer, why should her age matter?

The question is whether they are appropriate for the event, and I think both dresses are fine.

When I see Kate and her mother together, I think one thing: how lucky she is to still have her mother (some of us lose our parents early), and how wonderful it is that they are so close.

Personally I think very few items of clothing are too young or too old. Where has this whole age-appropriate restriction come from? If the clothes look fine on the wearer, why should her age matter?

The question is whether they are appropriate for the event, and I think both dresses are fine.

I agree with you, especially when the outfits in question are in the range of fashionable yet conservative clothing and the wearers are adult women. Kate is a 32 year old woman, not a teenager, so she should be wearing grown-up clothes. And Carole is only 59 and has a slender body like her daughter. They have similar tastes and there's no reason they shouldn't wear similar clothing. Both dresses were appropriate for the event, though I confess I wasn't too keen on Carole's shoes. I'd have preferred black, but that's a matter of personal choice.

When I see Kate and her mother together, I think one thing: how lucky she is to still have her mother (some of us lose our parents early), and how wonderful it is that they are so close.

Good point. I lost my father when I was so young I barely remember him, and now my mother's gone, too. Kate is lucky to have them both and to be so close to them.

Last edited:
At least both of them looked fine and feel comfortable, and as long as their fashion style ( especially Kate's) is not ridiculous, it doesn't matter so much.

Hardly a surprise that a mother/daughter with similar body builds would end up wearing clothes that are similar in style and taste. My younger daughter and I have quite a few similarities in what we like in clothing. LaRae

I quite agree. Mom and I had similar, but not the same body type. She had great taste. She tempered my choices and I pushed her envelope of comfort a bit. I'm just sad I don't have her to shop with anymore.

It's not as if black lace is a great fashion risk that we should be shocked they picked it. Tempest in a teapot, IMHO. :p

In the world of dressing for an evening out, who hasn't heard the term of "the little black dress". Its a go to standard in most closets. I even have a little black dress that could be dusted off should the necessity arise.

My mother and I were basically the same size and alike in taste, we both tended to lean toward classic styles rather than trendy. I really don't find it a big deal or surprising that both Kate and Carole wore black lace. Its popular right now, it looks good on the both of them and they complimented each other.

Some styles are ageless and both of the black lace dresses are definitely ageless. Sooner or later, lace will not be on trend, but neither lady will ever be embarrassed in twenty years. I agree with those who don't particularly care for Carole's shoes but she looks terrific overall.

It was probably just a coincidence. Maybe Carole had no idea of what Kate would be wearing that night (and vice-versa). Black lace in very IN right now, it's the most obvious things to wear in these occasions. There were other women wearing it too.

Agree 100%. :flowers: One wears black. Lace is 'in'. Not hard to guess how it might turn out. But if Kate and Carole did consult, I think that is warm and healthy and says they are solid with each other. Either way, a non-issue imo.

Loved Kate's earrings, hated Carole's shoes. Mike was hot as ever.

:p :D :cool:

I have to agree. From the elegant and very flattering hairstyle, to the gorgeous DVF black lace gown Catherine hit all the right notes.

As Lady Malboro commented earlier, the black lace on black lining is what gave the gown it's elegance, Unlike the black on nude she previously wore that seemed to scream negligee as the lace floated free of the underskirt.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014...ge_galleryImage_Mandatory_Credit_Photo_by.JPG

versus

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/08/article-2083899-0F615F2B00000578-113_634x896.jpg

There is no comparison, both in gown and presentation. The DVF is everything the other is not. Fitted and chic, her hair is elegant and her makeup a little less conspicuous.

The only thing that IMO would improve the ensemble is if she had worn the same earrings as she did to Warhorse. They are very sophisticated and, while those she wore are pretty, they are not as elegant and, let's face it, I'd have loved to have seen them in all their glory, not flashes tangled in her hair.

I love both gowns here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom