The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I recognize Kate's hat as one she wore to the BP tea party last year, not one that I particularly like. Hopefully, the fact that she's wearing pink won't set tongues wagging about the baby's gender.;)

Last edited:
Coat by Alexander McQueen - bespoke piece

Kate looks very nice today in soft pink.

I like the pink coat, the color is very soft and feminine which I really like, the coat itself is a timeless coat for its classic cut.

The hat is recycled from last year's Garden Tea Party, there are parts of the hat that are odd, but overall its a very pretty hat. I think its her only pink hat...

I really hope she can attend Order of the Garter, because after that we won't see her much until birth, unless she goes out&about in London for shopping, etc...but its not the same.

I think I recognize Kate's hat as one she wore to the BP tea party last year, not one that I particularly like. Hopefully, the fact that she's wearing pink won't set tongues wagging about the baby's gender.;)

I'm not keen on the hat either; Kate has worn many prettier ones.

The coat is by Alexander McQueen. Nothing special about the coat besides its a nice color. I don't care for the big collar. That hat is my least favorite hat.

The coat is beautiful and the hat is one of my favourites of hers.

Today's outfit is tasteful, appropriate, and....boring. More suited to Camilla or even the Queen herself. Kate looks beautiful, but matronly.

Today's outfit is tasteful, appropriate, and....boring. More suited to Camilla or even the Queen herself. Kate looks beautiful, but matronly.
Female members of the BRF are expected to dress tastefully and appropriately for the occasion. Just how would you describe a "non-boring" dress?

I'm ready for this whole "pale pastel" trend to be over. It's just my taste, nut I am tired of pale pink, peach, blue...

I'm ready for this whole "pale pastel" trend to be over. It's just my taste, nut I am tired of pale pink, peach, blue...

Dark green, peach, teal, pink, white, b/white, yellow, red, brown, blue.......

you've missed a lot ;)

Female members of the BRF are expected to dress tastefully and appropriately for the occasion. Just how would you describe a "non-boring" dress?

A bolder colour, something other than baby pink? Some modern details, rather than a mumsy collar and pearl buttons? Perhaps some accessories to add interest? Look at this photo of a pregnant Maxima:

Crown Princess Maxima Of Holland Attends The Prinsjesdag

Maxima and Kate are very different ladies, obviously, but it is possible to dress a pregnant body without being boring.

Here's Mette Marit, in a baby blue shade similar to Kate's baby pink, but with some nice details (lace, a bow) and a better fit:

King Harald Queen Sonja Crown Prince Haakon Crown Princess

As I said previously, Kate does look pretty, but I wish she was wearing clothes that accentuate and celebrate her baby bump, instead of boxy bland coats that hide it.

I cannot say I find any clothes to be especially exciting as opposed to boring, especially when it comes to maternity wear, but I do not want to see form fitting clothes on an 8 months pregnant woman. I see absolutely no reason to accentuate the "bump" (awful term). Everyone already knows she is pregnant no need to prove it.
Catherine has in fact worn colours other than pink and white as has already been pointed out.

Some women do not want to show it off and perhaps she wants her pregnancy to be as much about her and William as possible. With that being said the pink dress is unattractive and juvenile, it looks like something 10yr old would wear to church.

Kate is appropriately dressed but nothing special. I dislike the hat.

Some women do not want to show it off and perhaps she wants her pregnancy to be as much about her and William as possible. With that being said the pink dress is unattractive and juvenile, it looks like something 10yr old would wear to church.

LOL, you say she looks juvenile and another poster says she looks matronly like the Duchess of Cornwall. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle which likely means she got it just about right for her age and her station in life.

Actually, the coat looks like the adult version of what Lady Louise is wearing, sharing similarities with the color and collar except for the buttons down the front.

Last edited:
It does indeed have a very "juvenile" vibe. This type of colar is frequently seen in kids' clothes.
The old/matronly vibe might come because this type of colar was also common when our grandmothers were young (mine is 80) and is still used by them sometimes, but mainly in shirts.
It has a very vintage vibe and it's becoming more and more popular these days after not being seen for some decades in younger people, just old ones, hence the matronly association for some.
I must say I love it.

It does indeed have a very "juvenile" vibe. This type of colar is frequently seen in kids' clothes.
The old/matronly vibe might come because this type of colar was also common when our grandmothers were young (mine is 80) and is still used by them sometimes, but mainly in shirts.
It has a very vintage vibe and it's becoming more and more popular these days after not being seen for some decades in younger people, just old ones, hence the matronly association for some.
I must say I love it.

So do I. I hate the clingy, obvious I'm pregnant clothes that have been around for awhile. What is wrong with something that is more sedate? Dare I say it, ladylike?

I cannot say I find any clothes to be especially exciting as opposed to boring, especially when it comes to maternity wear, but I do not want to see form fitting clothes on an 8 months pregnant woman. I see absolutely no reason to accentuate the "bump" (awful term). Everyone already knows she is pregnant no need to prove it.
Catherine has in fact worn colours other than pink and white as has already been pointed out.

I actually do find beautiful, stylish clothes to be exciting! (which is why I am taking an interest in the fashion discussion) You asked me to provide an explanation of what I would like to see Kate wearing, and I gave you two, neither of which was "form fitting," but rather, they fit. And I never said that Kate has only worn pale pink, just that I personally find it to be a bland colour on her.

That being said, this is all my personal opinion and I respect your right to differ with it. :flowers:

I'm just glad that everyone likes different styles. If everyone were to wear the same thing, we may as well be living in "1984" and wear uniforms. ;)

I think Catherine looks great! Appropriate for the occasion.

She looks lovely and classic. The hat is a bit fussy, so I think it was better offset with the simple style coat. As a bespoke item, this was probably ordered sometime ago unaware of her size; it appears to be very forgiving for her last month of pregnancy. It very well could make another appearance in the next month at a wedding.

I appreciate how Kate tries to be more low key on events that focus on HM and the family. The Dalmatian coat Thursday was a bit of a departure for her .... I don't think she would have ever worn something so remarkable at a family event. I do think she does her best to just look appropriate.

Perhaps the other women are all wearing light colors so that the Queen stands out in that vivid royal blue.

I think this is very common in the BRF, so that the center of attention is always the Queen.

By definition, matronly is her look right now. I also really liked the spotted outfit. She has a classic vibe with her dresses. Very Jackie O/MIL/GMIL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom