The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^Yep.

I suggested a slip a while back too. T
hose shorts were from the Canadian visit, not recent. It looked to be a heavier knit material, but it is also pleated.
I really would try all those things if it were me, slip, no pleats, heavy material, as I said, the sky blue dress she wore to the museum would have fit the bill and looked nicer than the polka dot which I also thought was a little cheap for a wedding.

Canada isn't the only time she wore shorts under her dress though. She wore some last year, so it's possible that she's taken to wearing them when she wears flowy dresses.

I've seen photos of various royals with their slips blowing up as high as the dress. So I don't think a slip would really solve the wind issue.

As for the blue dress, I read that it fit when she initially tried it on, but it had to be taken out before she wore it to the museum. So it's possible that she was having similar fit issues. Like cepe said, your body changes every day during pregnancy and what fits one day, may not fit another. She's in the last stages of her pregnancy and I imagine right now, she's just trying to wear what's comfortable.

And yes - it would be best if wardrobe malfunction pictures of anyone were no longer published (or even taken). It's disrespectful to the women and says something really negative about society as a whole.
Totally agree.

Last edited:
It was much easier in the past when a pregnant lady did not appear in public after she began to show.

From personal experience, any few and far-between embarrassing sartorial mishaps happen just that once and never again. One tends to learn from a mortifying situation and not to repeat it.

Last edited:
From personal experience, I know that when I have an embarrassing and mortifying sartorial mishap, it happens just that once and never again. I try to learn from my mistakes and not to repeat them.

I don't think it's about Kate (or any of the royals) not learning from their mistakes. It's just that unfortunately for them, they're constantly followed by cameras and that means there are bound to be more than a few sartorial mistakes caught on camera.

Last edited:
I actually thought of this thread today in my real life- I went to work in a perfectly work appropriate, conservative outfit of a light summer dress covered with a cardigan. The morning was beautiful and sunny and it was an appropriate outfit. Well, this afternoon the temperature dropped and the wind kicked up something fierce, and I had to stop for gas. I found myself having to desperately hold down my skirt with one hand while I put gas in the car, and I actually thought "Oh man, thank goodness there's no one around to make fun of me or take pictures right now."

Sometimes, circumstances are unforeseen. You dress comfortably and appropriately and yet weather and circumstance do not always cooperate. Thank goodness 99.99999% of us aren't constantly followed by a pack of people with cameras waiting to catch us in an ungraceful moment.

Last edited:
I read once (quite a while ago and I don't remember where) that in her younger days The Queen didn't actually weigh her hems but relied on a straight slip under her dresses. A close-fitting straight slip will almost NEVER blow up, regardless of the wind. There's even an old picture I remember seeing where one of her dress came up a bit but the slip stayed down and preserved the royal modesty. Of course for many years now her dress style itself does that.

Last edited:
Kate can continue to wear her flippy skirts, she just needs a straight slip when she does wear them. They don't blow up but let the dress blow up. I guess she doesn't know about slips. It would not have helped in this situation, as I don't know if they still make maternity slips and she probably wouldn't wear one anyway.

Perfect solution; I wore plenty of those straight slips with flaring dresses and the slip stayed in place even if the dress hem flipped up. It's too bad that slips seem to have gone out of style; such a useful aid.

That's a prime example of utilizing a functional undergarment to prevent another sartorial mishap from reoccurring for the cameras to catch.

Last edited:
From personal experience, any few and far-between embarrassing sartorial mishaps happen just that once and never again. One tends to learn from a mortifying situation and not to repeat it.

Exactly, how hard is it to look at the weather channel. If its windy outside don't wear a dress with light material, it's not that hard. I understood the first time it happened in Canada, but I am not going to defend her time after time after time that this happens to her. And even if you insist on wearing light fabric hold onto your skirt until you get inside. I haven't worn a slip since elementary school so I don't recall what a straight slip is.
Kate knows she is going to be photographed so she knows if she has another wardrobe malfunction it will be photographed; better to take precautions against such events occurring.

Last edited:

Once again a couple of posts have been deleted, please read the above posted mod post again, further off-topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Hopefully we'll get some better photos of the outfit, but here's a few of Kate shopping earlier this week.

From what I can see, I like the outfit. I think she does casual really well and I usually like her casual style much better than her dressy style. I also think her hair also looks really cute like that.

Catherine: Duchess of Cambridge

Last edited:
That's a good bunch of choices.

Chloe dress is amazing and is part of their collection already, not exactly something they created specially for the slideshow. Here it is in white
Ruffled pique-trim dress | Chloé | MATCHESFASHION.COM

The Donna Karan one seems beautiful on the sketch but I usually don't like the material she uses.
I like all of them except the Chanel and Nicole Miller. Also not sure about the Amanda Wakeley one.

Concerning slips, I know a good source for "heavy" slips. It's the Deva catalog. It has pure cotton slips (half slips, whole slips) in a heavy cotton that is useful to me, because I wear thin sun-protective skirts in black, but want more black between me and the sun's rays. These slips come in the black I use (half slips) and also in neutral and white color. They wash beautifully and do not need ironing, and do not cost a fortune. They come different lengths as well. And they are made in the USA not in a poorly constructed factory. $30 for the slip I am wearing today with the thin Solumbra cloth skirt.

Last edited:
Catherine rocks casual wear, and this is no different. She looks great.

She should know by now that that happened because she's wearing such a light weighted dress. I'm beginning to think she doesn't care to have her goods on display. This would never happen with the queen for crying out loud.

:previous: Actually, it has happened with the Queen more than once, even with weights in the hem. It doesn't happen to her anymore because the skirts she wears now aren't the type that fly off. These things happen to the best of us.

Did it happen with the queen "Marilyn Monroe" style? I can't wrap my mind around it.

With MM I think you will find is was obviously not a wardrobe mafunction ,this is just bad management!!!!IMO

Of course, not every royal person has her picture made when it happens, either! And I would imagine some newspapers have the courtesy not to print some of the pictures, out of respect for the Queen or others. Plus, there's not much interest in seeing the underwear of some of the royal ladies. Catherine is a target and will be shown no mercy when she has this happen, poor dear. Were I her, I would wear what I want to wear and take my chances. Not everyone is as judgmental as some on this forum, and only a few would presume that Catherine- or any other person caught in the breeze- is an exhibitionist.

Further posts of Duchess of Cambridge dress lifting up will be deleted.
Please move on.

Last edited:
Not a big fan of the tiny hats perched on her head. Perhaps it's a style thing to offset the belly? That's not meant to be a sarcastic criticism ... just an honest question about style.

Love Camilla's outfit and big hat!

Buckingham Palace Garden Party;
https://twitter.com/ClarenceHouse/status/337234100521938945/photo/1

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 43s
Just finished covering the Buckingham Palace garden party -Duchess of Cambridge in a lemon patterned Emilia Wickstead coat, LK Bennett heels

Hat shot - Catherine Duchess Of Cambridge Talks To Guests As She

Love the bright yellow ensemble. The hat is recycled from last year's appearance at the Garter procession, when it was paired with the white McQueen coat dress.

I am not a fan of the colour but I love her hat and the style of the coat. I wish she would wear her hair up more often!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom