The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the colour on Kate - its not often we see her in pastels like this. Perfect for the spring day. However i just think it is too shot for the pregnant Kate and would have prefered it knee-length

Love the colour on Kate - its not often we see her in pastels like this. Perfect for the spring day. However i just think it is too shot for the pregnant Kate and would have prefered it knee-length

why does a pregnant Kate have to wear longer clothes? What difference does pregnancy make?

I think it's an interesting choice- certainly not boring or predictable. Good to see she is looking well too.

That color is quite lovely on Catherine. It's nice to see something bright and spring-like after the dark and neutral colors that one may choose during the winter. I don't like the buttons on the coat, but the style is not bad, especially for a maternity item. It's hard to find something flattering, as well as modest, since, as someone else mentioned, most maternity wear is about 'showing off' one's bump and other 'assets'. The earrings are simple and beautiful, and go so nicely with the color of the coat.

The coat looks just like something my mother wore in the early 1960s. I'm not fond of the buttons, and mint green is not a color I care for, but, Kate looks healthy, happy and radiant. She wears the outfit well, it's tasteful and just perfect for a cool spring day.

The coat looks just like something my mother wore in the early 1960s. I'm not fond of the buttons, and mint green is not a color I care for, but, Kate looks healthy, happy and radiant. She wears the outfit well, it's tasteful and just perfect for a cool spring day.

Its interesting that you mention the 1960's and the buttons because they reminded me of MAry Quant's emblem of a stylised 4 petal daisy from the 1960's. You either have to be as old as me or a student of fashion history to remember that! :flowers:

It's got a very Chanel-esque feeling to it. All it need is a little fringe.

I love this coat, very 60's which are my favourite decade.

But the hat is not working with the coat for me.

The hat is horrible. I don't like the coat, although the color is fresh.

Lovely coat, love the fringe, pockets, buttons and especially the color.
The lighter, brighter color sure suits her complexion.

I too am so glad Kate is not "showing off" her bump in maternity wear designed to do that. Just wearing what I would have worn when I was pregnant in the l960's. Except no one wore coats that short then. Otherwise, the same.
I like her earrings and her hat's OK, but as usual I detest her four-inch heels. I wonder if her feet will widen with pregnancy as mine did, and as many women's do. I went from an 8 AA to an 8B with pregnancy. Just a lot of weight stretching those feet, which are said to be more stretchable during pregnancy. The shoes are beautiful if one is into women wearing symbols of repression like Japanese foot-binders, or was that Chinese? I am really curious as to whether her feet are already damaged by such shoes, or if that damage will show up later in life. I realize my opinion about shoes is in the minority here.
What I wear for shoes, in case anyone is curious, is almost entirely the brand Wolky, which is from Holland. These come in various heel heights,
from about 1 l/2 inch to 2 l/2 inch. I advise them for all pregnant ladies and anyone with damaged feet. My feet are painful and numb from neuropathy due to, not diabetes, but another ailment. But they are still functioning because I take care of them. Wolky shoes are terrific and even look nice. (hint to my favorite Princess, Stephanie--buy Wolky! You will look great and be able to walk gracefully.)

Last edited:
Thank you for the shoe tips. My feet got permanently bigger with my first pregnancy too.
I don't see how she can walk in those shoes, pregnant or not.

For me, what throws off the look is the color hat and shoes. And it has too much of a housedress/housecoat look to it with those deep pockets and large buttons. But the color is nice.

Last edited:
I like green so I'm fine with the colour and I think it suits her. I'm not a fan of the buttons or the rounded collar, or the hat, or such high heels, but I'd forgive everything if she'd only start wearing her hair up or at least tied back. :deadhorse:

I like green so I'm fine with the colour and I think it suits her. I'm not a fan of the buttons or the rounded collar, or the hat, or such high heels, but I'd forgive everything if she'd only start wearing her hair up or at least tied back. :deadhorse:

Agreed! I would love to see her hair up or back! I do love that green color, however...

The coat is nice, but not for pregnancy. Too short and the hemline gets higher in the front. The hat doesnt match, all in all quite blah.

The coat is nice, but not for pregnancy. Too short and the hemline gets higher in the front. The hat doesnt match, all in all quite blah.

According to 'fashionistas' it's a maternity coat. Specifically designed for pregnancy.

Her maternity style is quite boring IMO. Its always coats.

The Mulberry coat color is lovely for spring and I do like that the fabric looks light and young but I don't like the buttons. Looks like it should be on a young girls coat.

She is wearing her hat nicely and it works well with the coat.

Her maternity style is quite boring IMO. Its always coats.

The Mulberry coat color is lovely for spring and I do like that the fabric looks light and young but I don't like the buttons. Looks like it should be on a young girls coat.

She is wearing her hat nicely and it works well with the coat.

Not quite right. We have seen a lot of coats but then again we have mainlky seen her outside - its the UK, its been cold so what else would she wear. But we have seen the DVF wrap dress and the black dress/white collar at the bereavement trust.

What she wears is her style - some of you find it boring and that's ok but she will wear what she is comfortable with whether pregnant or not. She isn't into pushing the boundaries of fashion (well, not yet!)

The more I look at this outfit the more I dislike it. :bang:

The more I look at this outfit the more I dislike it. :bang:
Me too - those little black flecks in the mint fabric remind me of mint chocolate chip ice cream. That may be a nice look in a cone but here they look like little black (or brown?) bugs. Boucle either looks rich or else it look not rich at all. Just my opinion. And the fabric is my objection rather than the style.

Not quite right. We have seen a lot of coats but then again we have mainlky seen her outside - its the UK, its been cold so what else would she wear. But we have seen the DVF wrap dress and the black dress/white collar at the bereavement trust.

What she wears is her style - some of you find it boring and that's ok but she will wear what she is comfortable with whether pregnant or not. She isn't into pushing the boundaries of fashion (well, not yet!)

Exactly. People do realise that Kate has been pregnant throughout the UK winter and a spring that's been the coldest since records began? Had she gone outside without coats she would've been accused of child abuse!

Kate's maternity wear has been light-years ahead of Victoria of Sweden's, for example, which was just a series of black sacks with the usual super-tight ponytail.

I love this hat that Kate has worn several times. A green hat with the green coat would've been too matchy-matchy. The Queen has hats made specifically for certain outfits, whereas Kate's hat is an all-rounder that'll go with just about every colour.

I can only marvel at what potato sacks must look like in Germany because they certainly don't look like that here in the UK!

Exactly. People do realise that Kate has been pregnant throughout the UK winter and a spring that's been the coldest since records began? Had she gone outside without coats she would've been accused of child abuse!

Kate's maternity wear has been light-years ahead of Victoria of Sweden's, for example, which was just a series of black sacks with the usual super-tight ponytail.

I love this hat that Kate has worn several times. A green hat with the green coat would've been too matchy-matchy. The Queen has hats made specifically for certain outfits, whereas Kate's hat is an all-rounder that'll go with just about every colour.

Quote Duke of Marmelade
Kate is another Victoria to me, wearing one shapeless frock after another, too short to boot.

I found this - Catherine is nothing like this!

Royal pregnancy style: The princesses who understand Kate Middleton's maternity fashion challenges - Photo 1 | Celebrity news in hellomagazine.com

Mint color is far from being my favourite color, but its fresh and light, and I love when royals bring something diferent.
However I agree with Duke of Marmalade, this coat doesn't look like a maternity coat, at the front, the hemline gets higher, if this was to be for maternity use, that definately shouldn't happen. On the other side, I find the buttons quite cute and I'm happy that she used one of her cutest hats.

I don't care for the shoes, she never had interesting shoes, however she finally took a brighter color instead of wearing those black heels all the time, so I'm quite happy about it.

As for maternity fashion, Catherine sure has a better fashion than Victoria did, but Victoria rocked Eveningwear and so far Catherine didn't go out for an evening engagement, so no need to compare evening look, so Catherine wins over Victoria for me.
Even though I'm eager to see Catherine in a more spring/summer dresses or other kind instead of her repeating coats style, I understand that in the UK is cold. So as summer approaches, I'm extremely excited to see her in a more diferent types of clothes. There's no need to rush, she will eventually wear lighter clothes in the near future.

Last edited:
It isnt a maternity coat - it is part of this years season. I dont think Mulberry do maternity wear.

Catherine and Victoria do like the short hems during their pregnancy. Both wore pregnancy in a very boring way and Hello! shows the people who have done it right, Marie, Mary, Sophie etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom